South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #1  

Default Newbie day 4 Phase 1

I've been hanging out around diet message boards for the last month trying to figure out which diet I should go with. I've always been overweight, but last month, my weight got up to 170 and I'm 5'4". I knew it was time to do something about it. The SBD seemed to make the most sense, since I've never dieted before and it seems to work the best with the least likelihood of quitting.
I'm a grad student without a lot of time or money but I needed to do something. I'm on day 4 of phase 1 and I'm having a lot of trouble with carb cravings still and I get afternoon headaches. I don't know if that's because of the lack of caffeine (I gave up coffee and carbs at the same time....day 1 was miserable). Every day is better though. I need ideas for quick breakfasts, because the quiches are beginning to get a bit much and I don't have time to cook in the AM. I can't wait for phase 2!
Looking forward to life with less weight!
Margaret
Old 06-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #2  

Hi Margaret

I'm a newbie too (phase 1 day 5). Since I am new I don't have much advice to share, lol.

For the shaking up the breakfast menu, I usually like 1% cottage cheese with ham rollups or leftover "legal" food from supper the night before. LOL, ok I eat weird breakfasts, but I figure if it tastes good at supper it will be just as good at breakfast right?

Beth
Old 06-05-2004, 12:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to the Beach girls!!

Have no fear!! The cravings will break soon, your body is basically just detoxing, just like an alcoholic who has to have a beer in the morning or suffers withdrawls, same thing with a bad carb addict You know, I really love plain fat free yogurt with some splenda or davinci syrup yum!! Or sugar free jello is a good one. Just think its only 2 weeks out of a lifetime, and you'll come out feeling better in the end!!
Michelle
Old 06-05-2004, 12:33 PM   #4  

Welcome to the Beach! Yes, the headaches and cravings will end -- as long as you stick strictly to plan in those first two weeks. It's really worth it!
Old 06-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #5  

Thanks for the encouragement, it's encouraging to hear from people that have lost weight on this diet. I haven't weighed myself again since my start day and I'm scared to do it...I'll wait until it's officially a week
I'll have to try the cottage cheese breakfast deal. This is especially hard for me since I usually stay away from veggies and cottage cheese. I'm looking forward to trying the ricotta stuff tonight.
Good luck Beth!
M
Old 06-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #6  

I love the quiches that are in the book. I make a batch & freeze them. They heat right up in the microwave. I also like ricotta for breakfast. Remember you don't need to have a typical breakfast food for breakfast. You could have turkey roll-up, grilled chicken (prepared the night before), tuna fish or even a salad.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Margaret... welcome to the Beach!

New girls, don't forget to check out the FAQ and the recipe threads!!
Old 06-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #8  
I graduated!

Hi Margaret,

I'm on day 4 too. Today I didn't find myself comatose by 2 p.m. and haven't taken a nap for the first time since starting the diet. but I still feel tired.

You're probably getting headaches from the lack of coffee. The book does not recommend cutting out caffiene and carbs at the same time, be nice to yourself

But this afternoon I'm still finding myself hungry for some reason... I took the advice of others here and have stuck to on plan foods. I just finished a glass of veggie juice. I got a differnt kind than I'd been buying because I discovered one of the ingredients in the veggie-10 juice I bought at Trader Joe's has corn syrup! I think that I must be EXTRA sensistive to carbs. Even some of the good carbs...

I don't know how little time you have the in morning, I'm in college too and frequently have to leave the house before 6 AM. When I was doing another low carb program I found cottage cheese with a little freeze dried dill on top to be one of my favorite things. The pasturized eggs (the kind that come in a quart container) really take no time at all to cook up if you have 5 minutes for breakfast.

I am finding this diet expensive (having spent over $200 on groceries to get started) I saw that someone else had commented on how expensive it is to eat "well" and how cheap it is to eat things that are bad for us. Funny thing is that years ago while working with a non-profit that delivered food to some of Orange County, California's poorest people I found myself (as an overweight person) having to explain to someone that was considering NOT donating money to our food bank program that the obesity that he saw in our clients living in pay-by-the-week motels a direct result of a very unique kind of malnutrition that exists almost only in the United States.

Just sign me
Old 06-05-2004, 10:36 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hey there new chicks!

I am not one to be bothered by eating the same thing everyday - I always make eggs [substitute mostly] and scramble them with 2 veggies and top with cheese [and hot sauce!]. I get my "different" eggs each day depending on what veggies I add to it. I tried this fake "sausage" from morningstar farms this morning. It was NOT sausage, but I didn't feel like making the center cut bacon.

I HATED vegetable juice but forced it down my first week. Now? LOVE IT!
Closed Thread