Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 11:35 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

I have a terrible problem with knee pain that prevents me from doing a lot of exercising. The doctor says it is a comb of my weight and arthritis. I know I am supposed to do water aerobics. I have noticed that some days my knees are better than others...partly due to the weather....but also I think what I eat may effect it too.

Do any of you know what foods you should AVOID to decrease inflammation in the joints??? I have heard you should avoid tomatoes and other foods. I appreciate all the help I could get.
Old 04-11-2001, 01:06 PM   #2  

Hey! I found a web site by doing a search for "arthritis" on the web. It's called healingwell.com. They have a whole section on arthritis and different treatments. As far as nutrition, what type of arthritis you have seems to make a difference. They have articles on treatments for all types - like rheumatoid, osteo, and inflammatory. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2001, 02:20 PM   #3  
REC

I have oseteo in my knees. When I lost a touch more than 10 % of my body weight (about 20 pounds), my knees started feeling better. I also take glucosomine sulfate, MSM, and chondroitin sulfate (I used to take this but the pills I have now don't have it) and they work wonders. I also take bromelean and ginger oil capsuls when they're inflammed. These items work like MIRACLES! Ask your doctor.

You did, however, ask about food. I understand the nightshade veggies, such as tomatos, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant are supposed to be bad for arthritis. I havne't noticed a difference if I eat these or not.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:50 AM   #4  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default I have rhuamatiod arthritis

and boy do I hear you on the not being able to exercise. It is such a bummer because I would LOVE to dance around to Richard SImmons or be walking on a treadmill.....but I can not. Like you I am suppose to do water arobics but to be honest with you it is harder on me to get to the pool, change, walk in the change room, take my dd to daycare....in the end I feel like I have walked a mile and I am in major pain.....for me I just cant do it some days. On days that I feel good...then I do what I can....but really I never have good days anymore because my arthritis has damaged my foot beyond repair. In fact my doctor suggested fusing my entire foot because already on joint has fused itself together, a direct result of my RA.

They say not to eat night shade foods:
potatoes
white rice
peppers (any color)
tomatoes
any white flour

I know there is more then that but I can't remember them at this time.

You are not alone and this is very tough trying to lose weight and not being able to exercise.

Good luck, and PM if you want !
(hugs)

Angie
Old 04-12-2001, 12:42 PM   #5  

Thanks for all the responses. I know a low carb diet has helped me but still in pain so trying to find anything for relief. I hope if anyone else has any knowledge you share it too. Thank you everyone.
Old 04-13-2001, 04:32 PM   #6  
Stressed but Sane

Just one thought to add: Glucosamine effectively reduces joint pain for some people, but has been shown to aggravate blood glucose lability in some diabetics. If you are among those for whom carbs---particularly refined or simple sugars---triggers cravings or binges, you might want to think twice before adding glucosamine to your regimen.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:31 PM   #7  

my dad took glucosomine for a while for his joint pain, but it turned out he was allergic to it, and it made his pain even worse. it can work well, but it's nice to know both sides of the story, since it isn't often talked about in the articles i read on it.

andrea
Old 04-19-2001, 01:00 AM   #8  

Thanks Andria and Betsy for the info on the other side. I either took glucosomine or chondritin but the doctor told me to stop because of bleeding problems. One of them contain blood thinners.

I started swimming Monday and it already is helping. I am looking forward to a couple of weeks of it to see how much I have improved.

Some mentioned "night shade foods". I know what they listed...but what exactly does "night shade" mean??? Can anyone help with that???
Old 04-19-2001, 01:09 AM   #9  

Nightshade: Brinjal, Cayenne, Capsicum, Eggplant, Ground Cherry, Banana Pepper, Bell Pepper, Chili Pepper, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Sweet Pepper, Paprika, Pimento, Potato, Tabasco, Thorn Apple, Topbacco, Tomato.

http://cgi.cadvision.com/~allergy/bo...by_Food_Family

i have no idea what the significance is, but i know that nightshade is a flower/plant that was used to make the eyes look larger, but i think it is toxic and poisonous.....

andrea
Closed Thread