South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #1  

Default Anyone worried about too much fat?

I've been on SB for 2 months now and I'm doing good....down about 17 pounds with no exercise at all (health reasons). But I'm a bit worried that maybe I'm getting too much saturated fat? Anyone have any ideas on this? I was just looking at the label for my low fat part skim cheese sticks - one stick has 2.5 grams of saturated fat, which is 13% of the USRDA. And that's just one stick. And with all the cheese on this diet, combined with the meats (even lean beef and chicken have saturated fats) I'm wondering if we're getting too much????
Old 06-04-2004, 12:44 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Wendyjo! You are great to be concerned! That's what this diet is about...eating what is healthy and cutting out most of that saturated fat!

If you have one cheese stick a day (which is basically what the book talks about), you're only getting that one serving of sat. fat. All cheeses should be low-fat, which should cut their sat. fat content. All meat should be lean, which cuts down on it too. Try cutting off any fat that you see on your meat to cut this down even more.

You'll be getting some, but not a ton. And all the other good things you are eating, like olives and olive oil, avocados, nuts (like almonds) and flax seeds, will help lower your cholesterol. I think that you'll do fine as long as you are aware and try to manage the amount of sat. fat. Have you thought about counting your food on fitday to see how much sat. fat you eat daily? A lot of people on this forum seem to use it regularly.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Yep just like Laurie said, one cheese stick a day and low fat or fat free cheeses. I find I don't even eat that much cheese just a stick if I need a snack or I'll use a cheese stick to stuff a chicken breast. I've been coming in around 30 grams of fat a day. Not too bad since I think when you go on a low fat diet I believe I read they want you to consume 30 or fewer gms a day.
Keep up the good work
Michelle
Old 06-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #4  

Maybe I'll try fit day. I eat alot of cheese I guess. I have at least 1 stick each day - sometimes 2. And then today for lunch I had 3 rolls ups and each consisted of a fat free turkey slice, mozarella slice, spinach and tomato. Each of the mozarella slices again were 13% USRDA each. A serving of almonds, which I have nearly every day, is 9%. And many of the dinner recipes also have cheese in them. Then there are the desserts, like ricotta creams. I guess I need to cut out some of the cheese Bummer.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Wendyjo, have you tried the No Sugar Added Creamsicles and Fudgesicles? I find they satisfy me more than a Ricotta cream and they are lower in fat (actually, I think they both have no fat, but not really sure). Also, check out the magazine Cooking Light. They have a great website: www.cookinglight.com and they make sure that all their recipes are low in fat (no more than 30% of cals come from fat, and they try to use good sources of fat). Might want to make sure you have no more than one stick each day that you also have cheese for dinner. I find that I am not getting much cheese, for some reason. I usually eat a ton of it! But most of the recipes I am making do not use cheese. I do a lot from Cooking Light and also from the SBD Cookbook.

Just some thoughts. Do not despair, okay? You'll figure this out!
Old 06-04-2004, 02:36 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

See I eat a lot of cheese -- I have 2% cheese in my eggs in the AM, usually have a LC cheese in the day -- and when I first started, sometimes had a cheesestick too.

Guess our bodies react differently? I know cheese always makes me feel full.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Makes sense, Jenn...I just am used to combining cheese with bread or crackers or such. At this point, the most cheese I would have in a day would be a cheese stick and a wedge of Laughing Cow with a pear. Every so often, we have a dinner with cheese, but other than that, I really don't get much. I did put two slices of 2% milk cheese on a couple mounds of tuna for a faux tuna melt today. Wasn't very good, so next time I'll just have the tuna with lettuce and tomatoes instead, I think.

I do have cottage cheese for breakfast and sometimes have a yogurt as a snack, but neither has much fat (I get the 1% cottage cheese).
Old 06-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #8  

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I usually have some cottage cheese in the afternoon, but it's usually non-fat.

I'm not gaining weight or anything, but when I saw how much sat. fat I appear to be eating I got worried cause my cholesteral is thru the roof and I'm afraid I might be making it worse.

Sigh............
Old 06-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Yeah I don't do the cottage cheese or yogurt. Laurie- since you've had so much sucess, can you do a mock menu of what you eat in a day? So we can mirror and lose as much Just joking on that last part
Old 06-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #10  

I was a little shocked when I tracked my food on fitday because I realised just how much of my diet contained fat even using low fat dairy products and lean meats. If you are not eating the vegies then you need more of the protein foods to full you up and that means more fat. I guess the key is eat loads of veges.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Trust me, Jenn, you would be much happier at your current weight (heck, you're in onederland!) than to be my weight and losing as much!

A regular daily menu:

B: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, diced cukes, Lawry's seasoning salt, 6 oz. V-8.

Snack: Fruit flavored yogurt (or cheese stick)

L: Leftovers of a starch free meal and a salad, or tuna (with mayo, cut up pickle, Lawry's and garlic powder) with a salad, or celery sticks with dressing as dip, roast beef rolled up with mayo and Lawry's, etc. One creamsicle or a jell-o cup with 2 Tbsp cool whip free

Snack: Pear with Laughing Cow Light cheese (or pickle with peanut butter or apple with PB or berries with vanilla yogurt, etc.)

Dinner: Something with a lot of veggies or something without many but with a salad (prebagged salad mix with cukes, grape tomatoes, and dressing...maybe cheese, but rarely) and a starch...usually part of the dinner (like pasta or couscous), but sometimes a wholegrain roll.

Dessert: PB cup (if I didn't have nuts that day) or a fudgesicle.

If I am starving during the day, or have to go several extra hours before a meal (like when I had class from 6-9 after working from 8-6), I would eat an extra snack, usually nuts if I had not had them, or perhaps a cheese stick. There are lots of other options, but I was looking for something that did not make a mess or a lot of noise (like celery).

Hope that helps. I plan a lot of menus using the cookbook and also Cooking Light (www.cookinglight.com). That way I can plan out the rest of my week. This week I'm going to try having a veggie burger with cheese and cole slaw for lunch. Should be good! I'm hoping that the tomato and basil burger from Morningstar does not have a lot of starch!

Last edited by beachgal; 06-08-2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: bold titles to make them easier to read
Closed Thread