Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 11:30 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

I have a terrible problem with knee pain that prevents me from doing a lot of exercising. The doctor says it is a comb of my weight and arthritis. I know I am supposed to do water aerobics. I have noticed that some days my knees are better than others...partly due to the weather....but also I think what I eat may effect it too.

Do any of you know what foods you should AVOID to decrease inflammation in the joints??? I appreciate all the help I could get.

I have read all of the posts from Donna's thread. I know about the herbals. My doctor says not to take...but I know several people who do with success. The doctor said they have blood thinners in them and that would be bad for me. I tend to get nose bleeds when I take them.

Back to my question.... I heard you should avoid tomatoes and several other foods if you have arthritis. Has anyone else researched this??
Thanks again for all the support I recieved just reading the other thread and the help I HOPE to get from this one.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:39 PM   #2  

Default entered by accident

Hi 2cute 2be fat:
A couple of years ago, I had severe swollen knee and pain 2 bad to accept. I was on a trip and came back early because of this. I had raised the leg/knee on pillows as high as possible to get the swelling down. Then ran to my doctor whom I couldn't get and was seen by his associate.
She told me to severely cut back on Carbohydrates, which I did and the swelling and pain was gone in day and half.No cortozone shot, but did take a darvocette.

I have been on no sugar, low carbs for a few months and since then this knee has been okay. When I think it is going to start, I put ice on it and then an elastic brace.So far this has worked to keep it at bay.
Weight must play a role in it as well as steps.

That's why, a walking stick helps take some weight off the joints.I know you do not like it, but it does save your leg from getting worse. My friend does not like a cane , but did the same thing; go to the eastern mountain store and get a walking stick that can be adjusted to what ever height you feel comfortable with.{45.00}
By the way, the exray's showed no arthritis at all.
Old 04-11-2001, 04:53 PM   #3  

Hi Tootie

I also have found that carbs cause greater pain. It is much better when off carbs...but still there.
I also always get a cart to walk when possible. It really helps too. I guess I transfer some of the weight.
I was hoping to maybe find more foods I should be avoiding since carbs played a dramatic role in producing pain.

I think I need to get an elastic brace on it too. I know losing this weight is a MAJOR factor. I am quite obese and that can only hurt it more. I have been overweight my entire life....except for those 3 hours I lost weight as a teen. LOL

Thanks for the quick response. hopefully I will learn even more in here. I just dont see me using a cane....but the walking stick may help me while camping. I would be willing to use it then. Vanity I know.....what can I say. Some mornings I have to use a crutch. Last time it was this bad the water exercising REALLY helped too. I am just sooooooo FAT I am having the hardest time making myself go to a public pool.
Old 04-11-2001, 05:03 PM   #4  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Walking pole really helps....

I have severe degenerative arthritis in most of my joints and will be disabled eventually according to my orthopaedic surgeon. He also said to keep walking and lose weight. So, I got a walking pole which is taller than the ones that look like ski poles. I really love it. My neighborhood is used to seeing me march on by with my pole and I am now at ease with it. I walk 2-3 miles per day (most days) and the pole gives me a little bit of security when I'm far from hom. I'd hate to get a mile or so away and feel weak and scared. This has worked wonders for me and I take it on trips (my husband and I travel a lot). It has been to Egypt, Greece, the Amazon and to the corner store and seems to be a part of me now. I recommend getting a pole!!! Hope this helps...Carleen...
Old 04-11-2001, 05:12 PM   #5  

Default I know; I know

Hi 2 cute: I'm sitting here with hair coloring so that I wouldn't be gray plus fat.
My program is the Sugar busters program and it is so slow in loseing because I can't do much walking at all.The other problem I have is firbomyalgia which hurts all the time in addition to this other stuff.
Want to be pain free at least 50% of the time.
take good care.
tootie.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:36 PM   #6  

Default Hi

The diet that I have for Arthritis includes eating lots of fruits and veggies. Night shade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers etc.) can cause inflammation. Also red meat is not good either. Sugar is another inflammation builder. Stick to fruit, veggies, whole grains and as whole food as you can get. Not processed foods and artificial sweeteners. I have osteoarthritis and this is what this diet is intended for. Do you have rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis? Like Tootie, I also have Fibromyalgia and sometimes I think the two of them are at war!(lol). I have been on a diet called The Formula - it is somewhat like the zone - being a 40% carbs - 30% protein - 30% fat. Fairly easy to stay on, but I do have this problem with fm and that is exhaustion. Then it is like I have no control at all, just crave carbs (and not the good kind) sugar, fast energy. Fruit doesn't cut it for me when I am tired like that. Also have the knee problems, and can't walk to far. I like the walking pole idea. Might have to give that a try.
Old 04-14-2001, 02:37 PM   #7  

Default Happy Holiday's everyone

Hi you guys! Hi Happy! for some reason I can't get on the other thread to post. Plus some messages come up blank.
Happy that's what I have been calling a "stick" but I guess it's a pole. The one I have is made by "The walking Company" from Germany and is metal and adjustable to any height that you feel comfortable at.
I have been using it for some time now and it does help. But when the leg and hip get bad like the past two weeks when the Rehumi gave me a cortizone shot in the butt, I needed both a crutch and walking stick/pole.
I know they do have walking poles but the one I have is adjustable and painted with mod coloring/metal and is used by hikers and climbers as well. They use two when they carry back packs and it saves their back and knees.
Why people who have pain don't use the sticks more often is probably becasue of vanity or not brave enough to by pass the "looks".Plus, only the hikers are aware of it's benifits for walking. I guess they don't look out of place in the country, but you have to be brave to use it in the cosmopolitan areas of our world.
Once when I went on an air plane with it, the steward grabed it to get it out of the way. She didn't know it was helping me to walk.
More of us need to use them for the benifits derived.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:59 PM   #8  

Thought I would update everyone.
I have joined a swimming club. My knees were so bad even in the water where I am weightless...my knees still hurt and I could not bend them. But I have made a start....I am putting my health before my pride.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:17 AM   #9  

Good for you. Sometimes it is the only way. I have a lot of problems with my knees as well, some arthritis related, some fm related and some disc related - can never tell which one is really being the culprit - doesn't really matter as it all hurts the same.

Good luck to you.
Closed Thread