Old 06-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Question Weight all over the place - yikes!

I have been on Atkins (strictly by the book) since Friday.

203 starting point on Thursday...
199.5 on Friday (TOM flush in there too I'm sure)...
199 on Saturday...
197.5 on Sunday...
195.5 on Monday... awesome!
but...
198 Tuesday morning! Boohoo!

Monday I think I ate too many calories (about 2400 on FitDay). I know Atkins says don't count calories or worry about quantity in Induction, but... I have been on WW for a LONG LONG time before (1999-2004) and maybe I have gotten my body "used to" less calories? Or maybe I'm just full of food and need to eat some flaxseed or wheat bran

Should I just cut back on the food and pretend I don't have a scale?

I have to say though, I am already noticing what I have seen before on Atkins, when I was on it briefly for 2 weeks... My skin is much less oily, a little eczema rash I had behind one knee is gone, energy level is better... in fact, I'm having problems going to bed before midnight now, when I used to crash at 9 pm! Also my moods are better, muhaha!

I want to do this RIGHT this time, and I have been dutifully eating my daily salads and drinking 10 cups of water. I was trying WW again, but I kept noticing my energy crashing out mid-afternoon and being starving hungry, which led me to binge. Very bad. I have not been tempted at all to binge on Atkins... another very good side effect.

Just venting... I would LOVE to have that amazing 12 pounds loss in 2 weeks, but I guess I will just have to accept what my bod gives me

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 06-01-2004 at 12:08 PM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Sarah -

There are a couple of things to keep in mind here:

First - you lose a lost of water when you first start induction and that rapid loss you saw those first few days is a reflection of that. Now you're evening out.

Second - your weight will fluctuate as much as 5 pounds over the course of your day. Don't stress over it. That's just how our bodies are. You cannot gain 3 pounds of 'real' weight overnight.

I recommend not weighing yourself everyday as it tends to make most people become obsessive. Track your weight weekly and your measurements at least once a month. You'll feel much better and you'll be more likely to succeed because you're not apt to overanalyze every little change. This is a long journey - relax and enjoy it!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #3  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Ditto everything that Star said! And I'll add one thing to..Even though I am addicted to the scale (I do weigh daily) I dont count my weight loss but once a week. You fluctuate daily up and down as well.. I could not see a loss for 6 solid days and then woosh.. the 7th shows 3 pounds gone. Our bodies are different but they all will lose the weight when they are ready too.. not when we want to!

You are doing great! Stick with it!
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #4  
Look at me go ;)

I totally agree with karen and Star. I can't think of anything else to add. You are doing very well! I know weighing everyday would just depress me and send me on an emotional rollercoaster so I keep it to once a week too. I do my measurements once a month.

Keep up the good work! You are doing awesome!
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Watching your calories can't hurt, when I was eating over 2,000 I was gaining, when I lowered it down to 1500 - 1600 I began to lose again, but if your exercising you'll probably be able to eat more than 1500, its a learning process, you just need to figure out what your body can do.

Even though I haven't lost weight (my fault) in a long time, I still FEEL 100% better eating this way.

Hang in there !!!

Hugs
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #6  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Smile Wow - thank you!

Thank you all for your wisdom and advice!

Ok, I won't sweat the day-to-day weight craziness. I weigh every day but I only "count" Sundays too.

I am feeling much MUCH better on this diet too. WW just leaves me famished. I did lose 50 pounds with WW before, living at home, with the help of dear old mom - cooking for me at night! HA! Now I don't have that luxury... but I do love my own place

And it was so easy for me to give in to a growling stomach with way too much food. Now, after some cheese or bacon or a bit of leftovers, I'm sticking on the plan!

Star, Karen, Randi & Leenie -
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote