South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 04:29 PM   #1  

Default Newbie chick here...

Hi everyone!
I've just started with phase 1 a couple days ago and I have some questions already of course! I did look in the Freq. Asked Questions, but couldn't find my answers there either.

First, what the heck is non-dairy creamed cheese? I've never heard of such an animal and wondering why reg. or low fat creamed cheese isn't allowed?

Second what about avacados? I don't know if they are allowed in phase 1, and if so in what quantity per serving/day.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
-Di
Old 05-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Diane!! Let me be the first to welcome you to the beach!!

I know the book says imitation cream cheese also called neufchatel (sp) but alot of people use the lowfat or fatfree cream cheese

Avacados I don't know about and I can't find them in my good fats good carb guide either hmmm maybe one of the other ladies can help

Michelle
Old 05-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #3  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Welcome to the beach! I asked the same question about cream cheese Diane! I thought it was weird that cheese would be non dairy. I am glad low fat cream cheese is allowed.

I'm not sure about avacado either, I can't find it. Avacado is really considered a fruit so maybe it would not be allowed. I will not say that for sure, however, because I have seen many many posts of people using avacados in their salads.

Hopefully some people with avacado experience will be along to help. In the mean time I will use my post to bump your question to the top!

Again, welcome and good luck Diane!
Old 05-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #4  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

Its on page 72 in the Good Eats/Good Carbs Guide under Oils. Avacado is a Good fat.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #5  
GARDENING ADDICT

Avocados are good fats. They are included in the Phase 1 recipe for Pistachio Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing (in the SB book). I'm just not sure of a daily amount but I would have it once in awhile, not every day.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #6  

Thanks for the help ladies, and the kind welcome. I could easily eat a whole avacado in one sitting, so I'll avoid them for now and add them during phase two.
-Di
Old 05-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #7  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the Beach.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach.
Yes, avocadoes are allowed and are considered a good fat. However, a serving is 1 Tablespoon so be careful.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:49 AM   #9  

Welcome Diane!!

Your boys are adorable! How old are they? I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and completely agree with getting healthy for her, but losing weight in the process! If only we could bottle their energy and excitement for life, we would never need to exercise!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #10  

Wow, 1 tablespoon isn't much at all, I'm so glad I asked you ladies about this before I made assumptions about it! Well now I finally know what's going on.

Kiko my boys are going to be two years old in July. I know what you mean about bottling their energy! They can just run and run all day long, makes me tired just watching them, let alone trying to play with them. Being an older mom to begin with, I know I will need a lot of energy to keep up with them even in the future, I wan't to be a fun mom and very interactive with them as they grow up. There are so many days I'm just exhausted by 8pm, I'd like to change that. I'm sure eating healthier and exercising will help me a great deal. You have done a fantastic job on losing 50lbs, what an accomplishment!

-Di
Old 05-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #11  

Hi! My mom was 44 when she had me -- and I ran her ragged. But she kept up and lived to 90 Welcome to a lifestyle that'll help you keep up with the boys.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:43 PM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Diane!!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:12 PM   #13  

Thanks ladies! I just made those yummy little mini-quiche's for breakfast and a cup of coffee. I'm having a difficult time cutting back on caffeine between coffee and my new favorite addiction Diet Vanilla Pepsi. I know it will help me to up my water and cut back on the bad stuff, so that's my new mini goal this week.

Enjoy Memorial Day.
-Di
Old 05-31-2004, 02:20 PM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Diane! Welcome! I assume your boys are twins? My sisters are twins and my mom had them at 41. She sure was run ragged, but she is doing great now. I remember when I was little (we are four years apart) my sisters used to think it was the most fun game to take off in two different directions. My mom would send me after one and she would run after the other. The fun of twins!

I know what you mean about the caffeine. I love the diet vanilla pepsi too! I find it helps if I drink water all day and only drink soda with lunch and dinner.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:25 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Exclamation

Oh, I just checked the GFGCG and found that page 72 lists avocado OIL, not the actual fruit. The 1 Tbsp serving in the guide is for the OIL, not for the fruit.

A-ha! finally found the fruit. It is on page 71 of the GFGCG, and says we can have 2 Tbsp of the fruit. A serving of guacamole is 2 Tbsp, also.

Good to know!

Last edited by beachgal; 05-31-2004 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Found avocados in the guide, after all!
Closed Thread