Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - McDonald's adult Happy Meals

View Full Version : McDonald's adult Happy Meals

mauvaisroux
05-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Has anyone tried the new Mcdonald's adult happy meals?

If you what did you think?

Also are they available in Canada yet?

Thanks for your input :)

samanthajosmom_12
05-30-2004, 12:39 AM
never heard of adults happy meals.

BeckyBoo19
05-30-2004, 05:24 AM
I have had the McDonald's Go-Active Adult Happy-Meal! I believe it was a roasted chicken salad. It was soooo incredibly good! It came with low fat vinegarette salad dressing, a bottle of water and a free pedometer. I think it was around $5.99. I'm not sure if they have them in Canada yet, I would imagine so. If you can I definately recommend trying them. I was not disappointed! :) Let me know what you think!!!

Becky

mauvaisroux
05-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks Becky! :)

blugirrl1
05-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Mauvais, they are good. i tried the chicken, bacon ranch one. but want to try the cobb next. sure beats my usual fast food choices.

beachgal
05-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Just so everyone does know, the salads are also available by themselves, which might cut down on cost. Pedometers are cool, though...:)

kaitikat
05-31-2004, 07:05 PM
ive had them. they are really good. i had the bacon ranch one too. it comes with ranch dressing. i like that it comes with the stepometer. i like to wear that wherever i go!

i think everyone should try them!

-kaitikat

sure beats the greasy food! :mcd:

ozziesgirl
06-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Yes we have them in Canada. They are pretty good, the only one I have tried is the chicken bacon ranch. You can also get chicken caesar and oriental thai with light thai dressing. I can't remember what else. I don't get how they can give full fat dressing for a "healthy meal" though. I guess I should have asked for light but I just assumed.

The stepometer is fun but not very accurate. Mine came to $8.60 or something here in good ole Canada. I'm not sure if was a Adult Happy Meal when I got it because that seems a bit expensive.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Adult Happy Meal? Is that like something from the Adult Book Store? :lol: ;)

I had a bacon ranch salad minus the chicken & it was great. The fiesta salad w/salsa doesn't have any hydrogenated oil in it at all, so I will try that one next. :)

mauvaisroux
06-02-2004, 04:27 PM
That would make eating salad much more interesting, wouldn't it? :devil:

StarPrincess
06-02-2004, 05:10 PM
I've heard that the salads are really good, but low-carbers be warned: the salad dressings are freakishly high in carbs so bring your own!

conway_1979
06-03-2004, 02:25 PM
They might be high in carbs, but if you aren't on Atkins, they are okay. I am happy that a lot of these companies are doing what they can to help with the rising obesity levels... I have heard there is going to be a low-carb soda though, for you Atkins kids!

love2live
06-03-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm really looking forward to getting one of these-I'll be interested to see how many steps I take a day. Very good idea IMO. Finally saw the commercial last night with the girls at work and thought it was pretty funny.

mauvaisroux
06-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I walked past McDonald's the other day and saw the sign for the Bacon Ranch salad - I will have to try it out. :)

SuchAPrettyFace
06-04-2004, 01:51 AM
I must say I was rather disappointed w/the 'toy' that came w/my Adult Happy Meal. :lol:

Thank you, I'll be here all week, tip your waitresses, try the prime rib, it's fabulous.

conway_1979
06-04-2004, 03:31 PM
LOL LOL, so I wonder why Morgan Spurlock didn't mention these salads in his movie Super ize Me? He would have lost weight if he would have eaten these, LOL...

LilDudesMomma
06-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I got mine today.. I had the Californa Cobb... and BOY was that piece of chicken HUGE looked like 2 pieces stuck together.. I saved half and my husband took it for lunch! it's yum! :)

mauvaisroux
06-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Those came out after the movie was filmed....also McDonald's dropped the supersize format after the film came out too ....coincidence?

blugirrl1
06-06-2004, 12:14 PM
coincidence? or conspiracy? lol :lol:

love2live
06-07-2004, 02:48 PM
I agree about the salad thing but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had he exercised as well.

By the way for those who saw the movie, did you all see the school lunch segment in the film? That was a very interesting look into what our kids are eating, and also how clueless the parents are in regards to what their kids consume on a daily basis.

conway_1979
06-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Those came out after the movie was filmed....also McDonald's dropped the supersize format after the film came out too ....coincidence?

That is so not true... They decided to drop the supersize way before the film came out, plus, McDonlads has always provided healthy options if you wanted to get them. People are always trying to blame the companies for this stuff... In actuality, it is the customers who are demanding more for their money, rant over...

love2live
06-15-2004, 05:31 PM
I agree that we definitely need to be taking more of the blame for our decisions and at the same token the responsibility for them. It erks me to see folks who are so blame happy when we are fortunate as a society to have so many options (when I travel to Europe I am reminded of that every time).

mauvaisroux
06-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Conway - sorry but growing up as a kid where I live McDonald's did not have healthier options. No diet drinks- no salads- just burgers, fries and soft drinks plus shakes and dessert. They have definitely come a long way.

I am not blaming McDonalds since I only really eat at McDonald's when I am on a road trip and that is the only thing at the rest stops on the highway. I don't really like fast food and end up not feeling really great when I eat it. I never eat at Burger King, KFC or anything like that either.

In my opinion the old McDonald's Salads - here in Canada anyway were not good at all until recent years - they definitely have improved..and although I have not tried the new ones they do look a lot better in the ads and I was thinking of giving them a try.

The thing that made me and many people I know laugh was the lawsuits that got launched against McDonalds by some people in the U.S. saying McDonald's made them fat! How ridiculous! Those people were responsible for their own food choices and I don't ever remember McDonalds ever saying that their food (regular menu) was healthy and touting burgers and fries as healthy food :shrug:

Even if you ate burgers and fries at home every day you would gain weight so you can't blame a restaurant for giving you food that you ordered. How on earth could you possible think that a steady diet of fast food was not going to make you gain weight or have health problems?

Personally I think we need to take responsibility for our own choices in life not just with food but in all aspects. It always seems that people are willing to blame other people, or outside forces for their problems or actions.

To finish on a positive note - a lot of fast food places seem to be providing healthier options to consumers so let's hope that trend continues :D

love2live
06-16-2004, 05:40 PM
mauve-I totally agree with your notions on each us being more responsible for our actions. I definitely think that companies have made great strides and I'm glad they're listening to us as consumers and what options we'd like.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-17-2004, 01:21 AM
That is so not true... They decided to drop the supersize way before the film came out, plus, McDonlads has always provided healthy options if you wanted to get them. People are always trying to blame the companies for this stuff... In actuality, it is the customers who are demanding more for their money, rant over...

Healthy options = salads w/no meat (hydrogenated oil coating the chicken breasts)

fruit & yogurt parfait

hotcakes, plain

strawberry sundae

That's about it.

When I want something healthy, I dont go to McDonalds. Can't seem to keep the pedometer, though. Damn thing falls off me every time i get out of the car. Oh well.

Suzanne 3FC
06-17-2004, 12:48 PM
The old salads were horrible, no wonder people chose burgers and fries. At least the new salads are delicious, so they will encourage more customers. We want to enjoy our food. It's not just about what we eat, though, it's also how much. A regular burger and small fries isn't so bad. But a Big Mac and an extra large order of fries, followed by a fried apple pie? The restaurants have never said these foods were healthy, and we DO have to take responsibility for our own actions. Common sense tells us it's not healthy. But the restaurants have ruined something else that is very important to our healthy and weight, and that's portion size. They do it so they will appeal to our frugality. Who offers the most bang for my buck? Super size is one way they did it. And we slurped it up. We all love a bargain, right? What about the other restaurants? Choose Italian and you don't get a normal serving, you get a platter full of pasta. This is one of the things that bothers me about the carb debate. It's not the pasta that made us fat, it was overeating the pasta that made us fat! Choose Asian and you get a platter filled with rice. People forget that a serving size is 1/2 cup to 1 cup of most things, because we are served such huge portions in restaurants, simply because they want to compete and draw us in. When we go home, we end up duplicating the portion sizes, and then we pay the real price. We don't want to eat like they do in China. We want to eat like they do at the Super China Buffet.

mauvaisroux
06-17-2004, 04:14 PM
No kidding Suzannne!

When we were at a Bob Evans restaurant my friend and I ordered (from the menu) a breakfast consisting of egg beaters, ham, fruit and whole wheat toast. The waitress looked asked if we wanted the breakfast buffet instead because it was cheaper (those options were not on the buffet though) and looked as like we were nuts when we said no and proceeded to ask us again if we were sure we didn't want the buffet :rolleyes:

Everytime I go to a Subway I get a wholewheat sub and I and they always look at me weird when I say "hold the dressing and no cheese please" :lol:

Apparently I am an alien from another planet that doesn't like dressings and cheese is my Kryptonite :rofl:

love2live
06-17-2004, 06:43 PM
great points all-I definitely agree that portions are larger than they once were-but who's to say we have to eat them at one sitting. I find myself portion controlling myself in many circumstances-and it makes for more leftovers later. I think that it's good to have the options such as we do to make those choices.

mauvaisroux
06-17-2004, 11:17 PM
The problem is that people have become use to the portions at restaurants and think that is a normal portion now.

I agree with you about your controlling your portions - there is a great restaurant near us that has really great spaghetti but the plate is HUGE - and it comes with 2 pieces of garlic bread. I usually ask for an extra plate and fork and split it with my friend who is also doing WW and if she is not with me I get them to pack 1/2 of the spaghetti to go before they bring my dinner out.

It is a lot easier when you actually have learned what a real portion size is. :)

love2live
06-18-2004, 12:54 PM
you got that right mauv! But where would you say we learn about portion sizes from-growing up in a household that teaches you-or learning about nutrition in general?

I've always had a great appetite-but as I've gotten older have found that smaller meals-more frequently help me balance my energy more. Good for you for doing your own portions too!

lhendricks
06-18-2004, 04:55 PM
The dressing I get is the same Newman Light Balsamic Vinagrette I use at home. It has 1 or 2 carbs.

mauvaisroux
06-18-2004, 05:00 PM
A bit of both I would say :lol:

Personally I find that there is so much conflicting information available that you have to educate yourself and sift out the good from the bad (or fad in some cases ;) ).

In home economics class in my high school they taught us about nutrition, healthy cooking, budgeting and running your own household, how to look for an appartment, grocery shopping etc. We actually learned some life skills! :)

From my parents I learned relatively healthy eating habits. We ate proper meals, only had dessert at Sunday dinner and special occasions, pop (cola) and chips were only allowed on the weekends so that it was something that was a treat and not something that we had with every meal. I grew up on whole wheat bread and puffed rice cereal.
The only thing was that we had the British habit of having "a cup of tea and a biscuit" at least twice per day. A habit it took years for me to break.

We also ate out once per week on Friday's- a habit I still haven't broken - but my hubby and I rarely go out to fast food restaurants.

As kids we were not allowed to be inside watching t.v when the sun was shining and my parents often packed up a picnic and Hibachi BBQ and we went for drives in the country, to local parks, beaches and to the local mountain area for hikes. If we stayed home then we did things like working in the garden and yard, bike riding on the local bike paths or walking over to the cummunity outdoor pool. In the winter the kids were always at the local park using the outdoor skating rinks (one for hockey- one for skating) or the local ski or tobaggan hill which was within walking distance of our house. My parents would come along for the walk and watch us or help teach us to skate and my mum would always bring a thermos of tea and one of hot chocolate with some biscuits. :T

There was no such thing as Sunday shopping back then so you had to entertain yourselves and actually spending time with family was the normal thing to do- pardon me if I sound a little cynical about today's lifestyle's :soap: Ha! I am not even that freakin' old to be talking like this :D

Anyway- I have blabbed enough and gone off on a tangent about being active and outside as much as possible :dizzy:

SuchAPrettyFace
06-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Suzanne is right.

As an Italian-American, I can't tell you the last time I ate only 1/2 cup of pasta & stopped there. I've always, ALWAYS, figured in my calories for a cup of pasta, b/c anything less, to me is almost insulting.

And don't get me started on rice. A serving is 1/3 cup. So, same thing, I measure out 2/3 cup & count it as 2 servings.

There is a new Chinese place that opened up here, they have some no-sodium, no-oil added dishes, about 6-9 to choose from. But they dont have brown rice. Jerks. :) So I'm going to try them this week, see if they are better than my own homemade creations.

Got another pedometer. Hopefully this one will last.

mauvaisroux
06-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Suchaprettyface- I can agree with you on that one too! I grew up spending half my time in a Scottish household and half my time in an Italian household.

If you didn't take enough on your plate Nonna (Grandma) would pile some more on saying "Mangia, mangia...what's the matter are you sick?" :lol:

So when I see 1/2 cup of pasta I'm thinking..."Is that an appetizer? Where's the rest of the meal?" :D

samanthajosmom_12
06-20-2004, 11:38 PM
i like the grilled chicken ceaser salad happy meal; and i take my carb free dressing with me. sue

WNYmom
06-27-2004, 08:37 PM
I have never really given up fast food. Just making totally different choices when I go. I used to hate McD's but since they have come out with their salads I go quite often. I can get a salad for about $4. I used to like BK much better but they keep getting rid of my favorite things. I used to get the Chicken Whopper Jr and a side salad with light italian dressing but they dropped the CW Jr. I then went to the Bagette sandwitches but they dropped them to. I tried the McD's salads and they are much better than what BK has to offer right now. That pouch thing BK has going is awful. Wish they would go back to the salads they had before. Also bring back the CW Jr. sandwich.

conway_1979
06-30-2004, 12:31 PM
I agree... The Jr. sandwiches were great. They enabled me to have the sandwich that I wanted in a normal serving size. That is the problem most of the time, the serving size. I like to enjoy these foods, just not in such large qualtities.

MrsDomino
07-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Last Friday on my way to an appointment I needed to get some lunch. I stopped at McDonalds and wavered back and forth on what I was going to get. Cheeseburger and diet soda, Child's Happy Meal or not stop at all. Well I had to stop, it was 7:30 a.m. since I had last eaten and I was driving early afternoon. I got a Child's Happy Meal with Cheeseburger, substituted the fries for the apple slices with low fat carmel and had a diet soda. DELICIOUS. Couldn't do a salad because I had to drive. But the fact that I could get apple slices instead of fries was wonderful. Apples slices were 35 calories, with the low fat carmel the whole serving was 100 calories, low fat. 2 points.

Just a thought for those on the run or those that really want something more than salad. It really hit the spot with me.

conway_1979
07-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Domino, that is what I am talking about... You still enjoyed the meal, it was wonderful, with not too many calories. If people would get out for more exercise, these meals would be the way to go. Perfect match of taste and health. It just goes to show that you can still enjoy something like a burger w/out sacrificing your health.