South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #1  
Livin' on the Beach

Default New Chick Here

Hi all! I am new here but have been on SBD for 5 wks. now. I have lost 24 lbs. so far. I am trying to walk everyday - DD and I did 1.1 mile this afternoon. I went shopping yesterday to get some clothes as everything looks so sloppy. I was thrilled when I was down two sizes. It helps so much to be able to have support from others on SBD. We had several at work on it but it is summer (I teach) and am not around my fellow SBDers. My parents are also on the Beach and my DD (7 1/2) has been on Phase 2 since we all started.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach. 24 pounds is great in 5 weeks. Of course the loss will slow down in a while. Your 7½ year old daughter is on a diet? Has the doctor recommended SBD for children? It IS a very healthy but children have different nutrient needs than we do.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:09 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

HUGE congratulations are in order, mom2kris! What awesome progress! And the exercise is remarkable too! Glad you have joined this group!

I'm pretty sure that Dr. A says that SBD is safe for children as long as they start on Phase 2 and never do Phase 1. I'm pretty obsessed with that part as we hope to have children and if I do this WOE and it works for me, I would like my children to do it too or I will be tempted to cheat. In addition, everyone in my family tends to be fat, and I would like to stave that off in my children before it happens. *sigh* I know, I'm worrying early. But yes, Ruth, Dr. A does speak about it with kids.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:20 PM   #4  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Welcome Mom2Kris!!! You have done amazing so far, you must be so proud. Did you stay on phase one the whole time or did you move on to phase two after the two weeks. I want to give you a thumbs up for starting your daughter in life with good eating and exercise habits!

I agree Laurie, if I ever have kids I want to start them off right and not give them my bad habits. Phase 2 seems like it would be ok for kids because you are allowed all four food groups, none are really restricted.

Welcome Mom2Kris and good luck....like you need it!!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #5  
RNMOM

Default Welcome and WOW

Way to be such a great loser!

This is a great place. Just watch out for Ellis....she's got a bracelet that makes me green with envy.......I wants it, my precccioousssssssss
Old 05-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #6  
Livin' on the Beach

Dr. A says that it is fine for kids if you start them on Phase 2. It is a very healthy way of eating for anyone and her Dr. agrees, also. I stayed on P1 for about four days longer than the two weeks.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #7  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the Beach. Congrats on your fab weight loss. Keep up the great work.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Marcie, welcome to the Beach... wow! You're doing so well!!

Laurie, I think it's great that you're concerned about your future children. It's never too early to get them onto a healthy regime. It's all too easy to give our kids "easy and junky food". I'm very guilty of it. Both our children are skinny minnies, but I feel we've already started them on the wrong track food-wise.

RNMom, I haven't got that bracelet yet (Laurie has hers, though), but I WILL be getting the potato and vacuum cleaner! NOT the iron, though. I gave away my ironing board 15 years ago.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:41 AM   #9  

welcome to the beach!!! great job so far!!! keep up the good work.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #10  

I think South Beach Phase 2 would be great for kids with one exception. The current thinking is that kids need to be on full fat dairy products until they are two. They don't start milk until they are one but the fat that they get in that year helps their brains develop. I did switch my son to 2% milk when he turned two. I find now that he is more likely to at least try the healthy foods if I let him help me cook!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Good point, Barbara. A great way to give them full fat milk is the Stoneybrook Farms yogurts. They are organic (so free from antibiotics and all sorts of yucky stuff that cows at factory farms get) and the bacteria in the yogurt would be good for them too, I would think! They make "yobaby" and such products in little cups for kids. Some even come with granola on top!

Ellis, you crack me up! I hate to iron too! I found a man who liked to iron and I married him...but then I rubbed off on him and now no one irons! Speaking of the bracelet, it is ready and I am going to pick it up in just a little bit. Yippee! Thanks for the compliment. I am really not sure what works in helping kids stay at a healthy weight. My mom had us on a very strict diet when I was a kid. Not a diet, but a way of eating, you know...just no sugar at all, WW bread. My treat when I was really good (now, that a bad habit right there...rewarding with food!) was a carob covered rice cake! Seriously! I ended up eating every morsel of junk food I could get my hands on and stealing money to buy candy and junk at school. Obviously that plan didn't work! My DH was raised with tons of junk food and he and his sisters all grew up to be skinny minnies who are not too fond of junk and love their veggies. How can you win? So to be honest, just you eating the right way is a great model for them. You can be skinny but not healthy (as you know) and I bet that some of your habits are going to rub off on them. (hopefully not the bridge mix, but the reading and the healthy eating ones. ) I just hope I can model good habits for my kids to pick up. You know?

Mom2Kris, sorry for snagging your thread with this rant!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #12  

You're right, Laurie... there's no easy answer to raising kids.
I was always a slim kid/young adult. I used to sneak snacks up to my bedroom after school. Bags of chips, bags of caramels (there were HUNDREDS of caramel wrappers under my bed), chocolate bars...
One afternoon, my parents were home when I got back from school. I couldn't sneak my chips past them, so I went up to my room, dropped a rope down from my window, went outside and tied my bag of chips to it, then went back up and hauled it up. Fortunately my parents weren't looking out the dining room window as my bag of chips flew up the side of the house.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:03 PM   #13  
I can do this!

Now that is priceless, Ellis! Were you the inspiration for the Pearl tampon commercial (if you didn't get it in Canada, it was pretty much just what you descriped, except with a tampon rather than a bag of chips)?

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one sneaking food! In our house, where sugar was outlawed, I resorted to eating cake mix with a spoon. YUCK! I really was desperate for sugar!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:08 PM   #14  

Oh, my gosh, Laurie! i can so relate! I used to make myself bowls of chocolate icing! And I remember when there was nothing else in the house, I'd put spoonfuls of brown sugar in my milk.
Oh, and maple syrup. I can't keep it in the house. I pour it into a shot glass and shoot it.
I also had a cereal problem. It was the perfect snack after school. I'd have about four bowls of it. And hide the bowls under my bed.
Closed Thread