Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #1  

Default Need advice on revision

Everyone here has always been so nice and supportive, so I'm back for more advice/support. As a reminder, I had WLS in the 80's with no real success. I throw up about 5-8 times a week. I had an upper GI that showed a narrowing, I then had an endoscopy and balloon procedure which helped for about a week with the throwing up. The GI doctor sent me to a gastric surgeon who I saw today. He does all kinds of surgeries, including WLS. After he looked at my films, he said that "fixing" my insides would require major reconstructive surgery, and that the end result would look very much like RNY, although it would not technically be RNY. He wants me to come to his seminar to learn more about RNY since I would have many of the same considerations. I'm so confused!! I've always said I would never consider other WLS because I had such a bad experience. I hate to jump from the frying pan to the fire, but maybe RNY isn't so bad. I guess I just want your thoughts, maybe some links to where I can read more about RNY. I'm the first to admit that I have emotional issues with food, so I'm not even positive it would work for me. I'm also concerned about the risks associated with having major surgery where my insides are moved around. BTW, I'm 36 years old and have 2 small children. I feel very torn. Any advice is appreciated!!

Susan
SusanBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

just a quickie. but will be back later. i checked into the gastric segmentation, and found that it's basically an abandoned procedure because of the lack of durability and the complications that you've had.

so since it sounds as if you need surgery anyway the rny is a reasonable choice. notice i didn't say that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! but for me, i'm finding it to be a very livable thing.

more later. someone is making me work!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #3  

Thanks Jiffy. I went out and bought Carnie's 2 books. I figured that was someplace to start. I hate indecision, so its driving me bonkers. One minute, I think no way am I going through another surgery and the next I think I will. Here is my big question..."Do you feel satisfied after eating?" You know, the difference between feeling full and satisfied is huge! I really want to make the right decision.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #4  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

SUSAN.

I too had gastric stapling in the 80's...I lost 123lbs and kept it off around 5 yrs. I had recently found out that 97% of the surgerys done back then failed. I've been considering a "redo" done laproscopic. They would go in and restaple but nothing else. Since everything is already moved (intestines) it would basically be a simple procedure. What's holding me back now is that I'm 23yrs older and just can't decide if it would be as easy as the first time!

BOB

Last edited by THE BIG ORANGE BABE; 04-26-2006 at 07:31 PM.
THE BIG ORANGE BABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #5  

Bob- My doctor told me they could not do the revision laproscopicaly. I don't know if that's just my doctor or the procedure I had previously. Have you already spoken with someone about doing it? I wouldn't say this doc was discouraging, but he really talked a lot about it being basically "reconstructive surgery" at this point.

Susan
Old 05-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #6  

Susan,

I had a breast biopsy about 8yrs ago and my surgeon told me that I could be restapled
and that he could do it by lap.
Fast forward to present day....I haven't checked with the surgeon recently, or with the two others in his group who are doing the procedure at the hospital where I work.
I fear failure again, and I believe that's one of the things that is holding me back.
Where do you live? Are there a lot of surgeries done?
I know that the two surgeons who are doing it at my hospital had to go for instruction and be certified before they could operate.
I do know that if there is a lot of scar tissue from the first surgery that you would have to be opened. It's almost damned if you do, and damned if you don't!
I know I'm rambling, and that's from the frustration....
BOB
Old 05-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #7  

I live in Dallas but have not done a lot of research on the surgeons in this area. I know that my surgeon has a regular surgery practice and also this WLS practice. My PCP, who I respect and like and my GI doctor, who I also like referred me to this doc. I didn't go with the idea of getting a revision, but of just getting a reversal, so I haven't really done all the emotional thinking through of this yet. I have a friend in St. Augustine (where we lived until last year) that had it done and lost 130 pounds in a little over a year. I MAJORLY fear failure because I never had success with my previous surgery. I only lost about 50 pounds of the 110 I needed to lose. Of course, I've pretty much always blamed myself. I'm trying to do the research and see what happens. We're waiting on my medical records from my surgery 16 years ago. They are probably somewhere in outer Mongolia, so I may be waiting awhile. I also have no idea if my insurance will cover it, which will definitely be a factor. I was 20 when I had my original surgery done and I'm a lot more mortal now than I was then Its sort of scarey. Let me know what you decide. BTW, my mil lives in Longboat Key. We love your area!

Susan
Old 06-03-2004, 05:23 PM   #8  

Go to FOXNEWS.com and look up their recent special on bariatric surgery. There is a surgeon in Houston who specializes in both the surgery and reversal. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure that it's on there.

How long has your MIL lived over on LBK? I don't get over there often unless I'm going out to Anna Maria. it's gotten so conjested !

Let me know how you fair.

BOB
Old 06-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #9  

MIL has been on LBK for about 20 years I think. Transplant from NY. Yes, the traffic is definintely something to contend with. Its so beautiful though!