Old 05-25-2004, 12:42 PM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Explaining Your WOE

I just had a thought. How did you all explain to your spouse/significant other (if you have one) or friends your decision to change your WOE? The reason I ask is simple.
Last week my DH threw a fit because I didn't want to try I don't even remember WHAT he was eating. Basically it was a carb filled product. Then on Saturday I splurged w/the burger (um...chips/dip & then popcorn)...and then Sunday splurged w/a brat w/bun (um..fries on the side and I forgot what else). So anyway, he was throwing a fit because "Why is it whenever I ask you to try something you say no yet when you want something you eat it." I tried explaining to him that I can't eat like I used to. And that even though I splurge I can't do it ALL the time and shouldn't be doing it at all...but that even one little taste usually leads to a big time carb blowout. I don't think he understands that I've GOT to change the way I eat. So I got to wondering if there was an easier way to explain it.
(Should I mention he never wanted me to lose weight to begin with? Yes, he likes me thin to. But he'd prefer me fat. Long story there).
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:07 PM   #2  
Head Princess

I keep it simple. I just tell people, 'look, this is how I eat'. That's it. Why is none of their business. When I tell people that I don't eat french fries and they ask why. I tell them that I just don't. There. Closed door. No room for an attack. Period. Finito.

I know there are other issues with DH. Maybe this kind of thing can help keep you on plan. If he wants you fat, then he especially can not be allowed to see any weakness in your resolve. If you've got to go off plan, do it somewhere else or don't do it at all. Prove him wrong!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

I've told him there are going to be days I KNOW I'm not going to be able to stay on program (due to total lack of choices...like when camping or out to eat, etc). But that it canNOT be a day to day thing. I guess I never looked at it as a "take it or leave it" type thing when explaining it to my family (ie, sis that doesn't think this WOE should be a lifetime change). Thanks for pointing that one out to me
Old 05-25-2004, 01:25 PM   #4  
Somethin's gotta give

Just tell him that when your willpower is strong....you'd like him to support you in that....and when its not, you know that its on you and noone else, and thats how you want it....your responsibility, your willpower and your slips.
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #5  
Movin' and Losin'

Star: I like your reasoning. All I'm going to say now is "I just don't eat that." Why do people have to be so darn nosey anyway? I'm tired of worrying about how I'm going to explain my eating choices every time I go out to eat with a group of people. It's my business and my choice!

Brenda: I've run into similar issues with DH (although remember there are many other issues going on between DH and I...). If he wants me to try something, he acts like I'm ridiculous for saying I won't even take one small bite of it. Then, if I am cheating (usually because of him), he'll really get on my case about eating right and losing weight. I just don't think a lot of guys have a clue about support. I think they all have good intentions, but they don't get any further than that.

Just tell your DH that you're trying to do your best, you slip-up every now and then. We all do it. Also, does he understand how important losing weight is to YOU? Maybe you could re-inforce to him that it is important to you, and you need his support. Not sure if I'm really answering your question or helping you out any...
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:13 PM   #6  

I had "girls weekend" in Seattle this last weekend and the issue of diet came up and the fact that I'm doing Atkins. One of my friends was trying to tell me that it will affect my brain if I keep doing it. What the ****. I just as nicely as I could tried to explain to her that my body doesn't handle carbs well, and this is what works for me. I also added that my doctor recommended low carb. She didn't want to give up her position so I just changed the subject.
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #7  
Somethin's gotta give

What amazes me is, how is it that we are eating differently than anyone else EXCEPT for cutting out starchy junk?....no one said rice, pasta and potatoes were health food....we can get just as many vitamins eating our veggies and taking a supplement...funny thing is, if we went out with someone and said, "Oh heck no, Im not on atkins, I just dont eat refined starches like bread and potatoes" everyone would be cheering us!
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

This sure has given me information (and I guess ammunition) for future discussions.
I appreciate all your input(s). I was getting sidetracked and wondering if I should give in (yes, I'm a wuss) and splurge more often rather than stick up for what I KNOW is what's best for me.
And you're all right...what business is it of theirs how I eat...and why do I even TRY and let them dictate what's best for me??
Thanks everyone
Old 05-25-2004, 07:50 PM   #9  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

"Why is it whenever I ask you to try something you say no yet when you want something you eat it." Sounds like more going on with that question than food. I think I would be inclined to just say I don't want any when someone offers something, if someone offers me raw fish I have no trouble saying no.

For me it is my mom constantly hammering on Atkins and of course, my brother and his wife are her favorites because they are both RN's and they are worried about kidneys blah blah blah...even though my brother has never said that to me...and my sil needs to lose more than me. The latest from mom was how women are getting more kidney stones and researchers say it is Atkins because we used to not eat so much protein now we do blah blah blah...

Granddaughter just pooped so have to go.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:11 PM   #10  
Look at me go ;)

Good thinking Star! I get tired of having to explain that Atkins is not NO carb, its LOW carbs that are healthier that others. From now on, I just don't eat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnababy
I think I would be inclined to just say I don't want any when someone offers something, if someone offers me raw fish I have no trouble saying no.
Your right, just because something tastes good, doesn't mean I HAVE to try it. From now on I am going to try to think of everything that isn't OP as raw fish.
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:42 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

If I blow my diet and hubby see's me, he'll say oh no, guess your off your diet today, and I'll knod my head and say Yep ! I tell him all the time, when I cheat, I will NOT hide it, I will NOT become a closet eater. He then chuckles. But its so true, I will not hide when I eat, thats only setting myself up for emotional trouble (eating disorders) as well as physical.

Tell him your not perfect but your trying the best you can to control how you eat and if some days you say no then its NO!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #12  
Look at me go ;)

My dh is the same way Leenie. Although, if he thinks I'm off for a day then he'll try to totally blow it and plan a favorite dinner of mine or something.
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #13  
The Princess O' Pets

I just say "what bout not eatinbg Sugar and white flour is bad? and they usually shut up! hahahahaha

My dh gets mad when I cheat cause then I feel crappy and my tummy hurts.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote