100 lb. Club - Will You See "Super Size Me" ?

View Full Version : Will You See "Super Size Me" ?

missaprylj
05-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Morgan Spurlock ate only McDonalds for 30 days and documented the affects it had on him. Will you see the movie?

Sandi
05-23-2004, 11:15 PM
At my current size, I really don't think I'd go see it in a theater - but I will DEFINATELY rent it!!

howie6267
05-24-2004, 12:50 AM
I will watch it when it comes on the independent film channle but I will not pay to see it because I do not agree with the man. I heard him on a radio show and he believes Mcdonalds and fast food should have to make the public more aware of there bad food blah blah blah. I just don't think it is Mcdonalds fualt that americans are so overweight. It's time people take responsibility for there own problems. No body forced me to eat those big macs all those times. That was my choice. It seems everyone is so ready to blame someone else for there problems. Do they need to list the calories and fat content? Yes I think they should do that. But not to serve there Super Size meals anymore because of group presure. That's not right. And no place should have to put down there own menu and tell the world that cheeseburgers are bad for you just because the food is fating or high in calories. I think we all know this and we buy it because we like it.

jiffypop
05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
absolutely not. i have no interest in this. my concern is that the general public will now turn and look at overweight people and actually believe that we got this way on a steady diet of fast food!!!

i WILL NOT fork over a single penny to support this assault.

howie6267
05-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Well I guess we did not gain all our weight from eating healthy. I know there are the few exceptions. However I think the general public aready believes this and for the most part I would have to argree. Maybe not fast food but junk food in general

Jennelle
05-24-2004, 05:17 PM
I actually think it will be interesting to see, but it's going to be tough to find it in a movie theater around here. I'll probably have to go to the artsy-fartsy theatre on the bohemian side of town.

I heard there is a woman who did the exact same thing, but she stuck to the healthy choices and she exercised and she lost weight in the end. I think she may be writing a book about it.

I agree with Howie - Anyone who thinks you won't get fat eating cheeseburgers and 1/2 gallons of sugar-laden soda is just an idiot.

love2live
05-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Jenelle-I heard about her as well

I recently saw the movie-and what I found the most alarming was the school lunches. It was amazing to me that parents had no idea what their kids were eating (and were giving them money daily to buy lunch).

channning102
05-30-2004, 07:15 PM
My thing with fast food is they use to make it so easy to super size. 39 cent. Salads and healthier food are higher. I know they don't force people to eat it but they could offer healthier foods. They are doing better, I do see the calorie listed for everything. Fast food is changing because we the consumer and making them change.

nicoleiris
05-31-2004, 09:45 PM
I might see the film because it looks interesting; also, it looks like it might turn me off McDonald's forever, which would definately not be a bad thing. However, I don't support it if it's simply blaming McDonald's and other fast food chains for the obeisity epidemic. It isn't the FOOD's fault that I'm fat, after all, and I don't like the way society is turning fast food into a scapegoat for America's unhealthy eating habits.

howie6267
06-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Amen nicoleiris. We need to put the blame where it belongs, on ourselves.

love2live
06-01-2004, 05:09 PM
I totally agree with you all-I definitely we need to be looking to oursleves for the answer and the solution in being in charge of our own personal responsibility.

Reaferg
06-01-2004, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't mind going to see it myself.

Zoesmama
06-01-2004, 06:43 PM
True nobody is being forced I agree with that.

But I do believe that the nations weight problems are from fast food places. Look at all the McDonalds signs they claim over a billion people served. So how can we say that it hasn't contributed to the nations obesity as a whole. Remember that I do agree nobody was forced to eat it. :)

On the average Americans eat out more often than they ever have in history and the fast food drive thrus are probably highest.

I might see it when it comes on video. Haven't been to a movie alone in 10 months. We have seen a few at the drive in with the baby but not alone yet.

Zoesmama
06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
And I agree with channning it is too easy to super size. I think all restraunts fast food and sit down alike are serving us for meals that could feed 2 and sometimes 3 people. But for the sack of saving a few pennys or trying to get a better deal we scarf down way more food than we need because who wants to waste it.

love2live
06-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Zoes mama-what a gorgeous baby!!!

I understand what you're saying-obesity is definitely a nationwide issue-but as parents I feel like we're setting examples for the younger generations and they learn from our habits. So if we exercise and splurge in moderation-hopefully they'll also be on that track. It's not always as easy as it seems-but I think our role can influence them.

Zoesmama
06-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Thank you. :)
I agree about being role models and thats why I'm here. ;) DH and I want to set good examples for our dd and be a better influence on her.

Jennelle
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
The personal responsibility issue is a whole 'nother can of worms when you have an eating disorder.

Jennelle
06-26-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm pulling this thread up again because I actually did go to see "Super Size Me" last night and it was FANTASTIC! I walked out of there saying, "I will never eat fast food again!" I highly recommend it.

Kamitwi
06-28-2004, 01:37 PM
I saw Super Size awhile ago, and while there does seem to be an anti-fat spin on the whole thing, I've got to say, it was definitely worth seeing. The whole problem with fast food places is that you CAN'T make a healthy choice! Even when you think you are, you aren't. I dropped fast food entirely, and I remember that before I did this, I used to go out with friends to fast food, have a sandwich and a diet soda, skip the fries, and think I was being healthy. NO, I was NOT! Even things that LOOK healthy in fast food places, chicken sandwiches, the Arby's 'Market Fresh' are DRIPPING in calories, it's scary to find out how many. Look up your favorite 'healthy' fast food's calorie content online--you'll be shocked.

Jennelle
06-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I think that was one of the points he was trying to make. A lot of Americans think they are making healthy choices, but aren't. (He used some of the salads as a perfect example. There was one that has as much fat as a Big Mac!) I mean, even most of the nutritionists were saying you should NEVER eat fast food. Not "seldom"...not "occassionaly", but NEVER.

love2live
06-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Jennelle:

I see your point-but I know that nutitionists overall are not as concerned with fast food. as they are with the amount of exercise we are getting and also how much food we consume.

The biggest thing I took out of the film was the segment on school lunches. As parents we are the ones setting examples (aside from giving them their lunch money) and it amazes me that some folks don't have the foggiest what their kids are eating.

Jennelle
06-29-2004, 08:32 PM
love2live - I completely agree about the school lunches! I teach in a public school and it's just insane the amount of starchy foods they have in school lunches. The cafeteria will serve pizza and a big ol' dinner roll and corn, for example. Because we're a Title I (economically depressed population) school, we also have a federal breakfast program and it's just as bad. A typical breakfast might be a big cinnamon bun, a biscuit, and some apple juice.

One thing different about my school is that kids cannot pick and choose. They must take what is offered. They don't have to eat it, but they have to take it.

Jen
06-30-2004, 11:35 AM
There are a couple of people that I read about in the newspaper that are doing the same thing as this guy, eating McDonald's exclusively for 30 days and they have LOST weight. It is all about choice. You can have a Big Mac combo supersized or you can have one of the yogurt parfaits. Obviously most people are going to take the Big Mac combo, if I want a yogurt parfait I could probably make it at home but nothing made at home is going to be the same as a Big Mac and fries if that is what I want. I really and truly do not blame any fast food place for the fact that I am morbidly obese. I made the choice to put their food in my mouth instead of taking 20 minutes at home to make something healthier.

Jennelle
06-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Yes, and he talked a lot about the personal responsibility issue in the movie. What he was TRYING to do was eat the way MOST Americans do when they order fast food.

love2live
06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Right on gals-but I don't think the sheer amount he was consuming was normal. I mean I know our stomachs expand as we eat more (just the dynamics;) but I've never eaten to the point of throwing up, yuck!

School lunch though Jenelle-parents really should be there teaching them along the way about nutrition and also portion control. Growing up we had soda, etc. as treats and now it seems that folks have made it an easier route so they don't have to cook at home. It's no doubt kids learn their bad habits from you know who.

Jennelle
07-01-2004, 01:40 PM
I think if more parents knew what school lunches looked like, they'd protest louder. It's kind of par for the course, though; parents send kids to my classroom every day expecting me to raise them for them.

Jennelle
07-01-2004, 02:06 PM
I finally got it. It finally dawned on me why there's such a disconnect here.

I am not a "normal" American. I am an American with a lifelong, moderately severe eating disorders alternating between anorexia and compulsive overeating. For me, the whole food experience is on a completely different level emotionally, physically, and psychologically than many other Americans.

I HAVE eaten that much food. I have, in one sitting, eaten a half a loaf of bread, an entire package of bolonga, a sleeve of crackers, and half a bag of Oreos. I HAVE eaten to the point of becoming physically ill. So, for me, watching Morgan Spurlock puke a supersize meal out his car window wasn't a particularly shocking moment, 'cause I've been there.

howie6267
04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Ok I finally watched this and will have to take back some of what I siad. I myself am in a different place right now and can also see the point he was trying to make in his film. I still do not agree with people blaming fast food for there bad choice but on the other hand I do see a need for these places to make healthy options available along with there nutritional information. Sure makes you think about going and getting a burger. By the way I have not had one in close to 2 months now.

PeachGirl
04-18-2005, 04:44 PM
This was really a movie that made you sit back and say wow.
I used to eat McDonalds at least 1ce a day, usually breakfast which I fooled myself into thinking was not as bad for you. (In the movie they tell you that McDonald's fattiest sandwich isn't the big mac, it's the McGriddle breakfast sandwich :fr: )
Anyways, I now try to avoid McDonalds completely, but it's sometimes hard when you need something fast and on the run. So now I make much healthier choices when I do have to go (today for example grilled chicken sandwich no mayo, and a diet drink), but overall I stay away.
I don't blame McDonalds for making myself fat tho, it seems kind of a ridicilous notion because I was the one putting the food in my mouth.
If anyone hasn't seen the movie, it's been playing pretty regularly on the movie channels, it's a great movie for any dieter.

Jen
04-18-2005, 05:27 PM
I still haven't seen it and don't really plan to...I can't say that I want to see someone barfing out their car window. Still I can't believe that anyone thinks that McDonald's is diet friendly unless you order the really small stuff ie plain hamburger or the salads or whatever they've put on the menu lately that is supposed to be 'diet friendly'. Don't they have some kind of protein platter for those on low carb diets? We've been going about once a week because it was like a treat to go there for lunch on Saturdays but I don't think we are going anymore. My son just doesn't want to eat it anymore, I think he wants it mostly for the happy meal toy!

howie6267
04-18-2005, 06:34 PM
I do go once a week and get an egg mcmuffin. I don't blame fast food for my weight problem though. I think the right thing to do if you are in that type of business would be to offer some healthy choices but I don't think it should be mandatory. I do think it should be mandatory for the nutritional information to be there. They have to have that info on the package when you buy it in the store. I think food service should have to do that also.

missaprylj
04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I saw this movie not too long ago.... I about threw up.

Thank God I don't crave/love fast food other than Chinese every now and again. It also helps that my town is so small we only really have like 5 fast food places. And.... they all *scare* me.

treefrogtoes
04-18-2005, 07:17 PM
I saw the movie a few weeks ago. WOW! It was enlightening to say the least. I haven't gone to a fast food place since the first week in January of this year; it took me over a month to not crave it. Now if someone in my office brings that back to work, the smell alone makes me nauseous. I complete believe that there is addictive qualities in that food, even if it's just the trans-fats.

I agree with Howie that they should be mandated to provide the *nutritional* content at really every food place. If I'm going to eat anywhere now I try to see if the info is on the website before I go so I know what is "safe" for me to eat and stay within my plan.

SwimGirl
04-18-2005, 08:57 PM
I saw this movie and thought it was great, it lacked in a few parts where I wanted more information. But it brings awareness to the fast food industry. Yes it's our choice to eat it, but when it's so easy in this WAY TOO busy world.. no wonder people turn to it. We can only hope this movie will cause 1 person to not feed that CRAP to their children. I had my first McDonald's meal when I was 12, and not again until I was in my late teen's.. it's definitely addictive. We went to Wendy's today, got a jr bacon cheeseburger, and that has to have sugar in it.. there is no way it tastes that good without it. Scary!!

-Aimee

howie6267
04-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Not too bad it has 8 grams of sugar compared to 34 in a medium coke. I still say everything in moderation. However cheeseburgers are a big trigger food for me so I have decided I don't need them. I may have one sometime in the future but it will be at a sit down place not fast food. Fast food is what I always craved and would stop on the way home from work and stuff myself. Now I don't crave it at all. So I think I'll just leave it to the heavy users as the movie called them.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-19-2005, 11:50 PM
I am very very proud of you for kicking cheeseburgers, Howie. :cheers: :)

I haven't seen the movie, not sure if I'm going to. I'm allergic to hydrogenated oil, so the only things I can really have there are the parfait, and the bacon ranch salad, no chicken.

howie6267
04-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks it really has not been all that hard. The last one I had made me feel all yuck inside. And all though I love the taste, with eating healthy they just don't agree anymore. I did have an attack last friday but was able to overcome.

jillybean720
04-20-2005, 09:37 AM
I saw the movie, and the thing that stuck out most to me was the addiction. He actually said in the movie that after the first week or two (when he was getting sick from too much food), once he got used to eating it, it would actually make him happier. He would be down about something and eat the McDonalds food and feel better. Definitely and addictive quality...

howie6267
04-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Yes I can relate to that. I think it is very much addictive.

dragonwoman64
04-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I just rented this movie today. Lots I didn't know or didn't think about. Like the McD salads have as much calories as the Big Macs, whew. Never knew NYC had more McDs than any other place either. It seemed to me like a whacky concept and undertaking, but it made me aware of issues/data/statistics I might not have known or thought about otherwise.

One comment stood out to me, when a man was being interviewed (can't remember who it was) and he started talking about someone being harassed in public for smoking (it's bad for you, how can you do that, etc.). Then he said there was a heavy woman at the same table, but that people don't find it socially acceptable (yet) to harass people who are fat even though, in his mind, it was the same type of thing.

No, heavy people are never harassed in public. :devil:

I'm glad I saw it.

cathyxxx
05-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I watched this over the weekend! I really think it is something everyone should watch. A lot of people are just not aware of what they are eating or what they are doing to themselves.

What was amazing to me was to watch this very healthy & fit guy change over the next 30 days! I could not believe the differences in him. How it got to where it was hard for him to climb the stairs to his apartment. The difference in his moods, everything! I would NEVER do what he did - I would NEVER do that to myself! but it was very interesting to watch him.

I don't know anyone that eats fast food 3 times a day, but I do know a lot of people that eat it once a day, and sometimes twice. They either don't know or care what they are doing to themselves.

I really thought it was worth watching.

be well,
Cathy

YP1
05-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi, I'm new round here, just thought I'd chip in. I saw this the other week and found it really interesting. I have never really eaten fast food (don't ask me what did get me to this weight, I don't really know, but it wasn't McDonalds), and for me it's shocking to think that people do eat that stuff on such a regular basis.

It did reinforce my desire not to start eating it now though - I've got more than enough food vices to keep me going!

ggbun
05-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Shouldn't we also be glad that someone is "outing" the fast food restaurants and what they are selling? If we "fat" people have to feel bad for our role in this, shouldn't restaurants who know what they are selling to people is unhealthy make it known what eating their products too often can do to a person's health? [I'll completely leave out the idea that they work towards making healthy food!] And let's face it, a lot of the people eating in places like McDonald's regularly are people who have little choice, they are too busy to cook and not rich enough to afford high quality, healthier options. The butcher in my neighbourhood makes amazing heat-n-serve style meals. Look at spending $$$ to feed the family that way! :mcd:

ggbun
05-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Oh and yes, I saw the movie. I liked it a lot, although I felt nauseous watching it in more than one place. But I never eat in fast food places to begin with.

Br00klyn
05-12-2005, 01:01 AM
I definetly agree that McDonald's has addictive attributes - 100%! It really disappoints me that there aren't more "fast" healthy options. Yes, I realize that most fast food places do have salads now and there is Subway, but realistically those are our only options. And, to be honest, the only fast food salads I've found nice and fresh are from Wendy's!

As for the movie, I haven't seen yet... but I'm thinking I should most definetly rent it soon and maybe it will get me out of this fast food rut i've been in!

famograham
05-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Hey I just noticed you're a fellow Canadian too..lots of us here..eh? ;)

McDonalds has the chicken Mcgrill (get it without mayo) it's pretty good and only around 300 calories (again without mayo). They used to have a whole wheat one with bbq sauce but tossed it when those subway type sandwiches came out.

It's a decent choice if you don't like their salads.

Linda

Br00klyn
05-12-2005, 01:14 AM
I know... my staple meal at McDee's when I'm eating healthy is a Whole Wheat Chicken McGrill (how dare they take it away?), a Yogurt Parfait and a Small Diet Coke.. Perfection!

I think I'm going to take a look through Fitday tomorrow and see what I was eating all the time when I was doing so well on plan.. That way I can make a new grocery list from there, and maybe even make a "Fast Food Safe List" with some healthy options at each fast food place. So, even if I'm with a friend who decides on drive-thru, I'll already have a healthy option in mind!

famograham
05-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Excellent idea!