Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #1  

Default Would like exercise buddy

I'm new so hello to all,

I'm looking for someone or sevearl people who are interested in buddying up to keep motivation and spirits high while following an exercise programme.

Right now i'm exercising about three times a week but would like to bump it up to at leat five, ideally six days. I go to the Y with my sister but she has more family commitments than i do so is only able to go about three times a week. i could go the other days but find it hard to get motivated to go on my own.

If I knew that i would be accountable to someone other than myself it would get me there more often. I only started two weeks ago so going still isn't the habit i want it to become. I do enjoy going however.

Right now I'm 180lbs (i don't think i've lost any weight in the last two weeks) and want to get down to 135-130. I'm 5'7".
If anyone is interrested that would be great!

thanks
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking Hey, Gen!

Well, first a big hello to everyone here -- I haven't yet done the official intro and bio here yet, and I'll spare you all that here, but I'm a bigtime lurker here at LWL! I've been waiting to actually LIFT something before posting, and am just about to start doing that this week. More on that in another post.

Gen, I'd love to share support with you! I too am exercising about 3 times a week, but know it should be much more. To date I've done solely cardio, but that will be changing this week. I don't go to a gym or the Y. I have in my basement a treadmill and an exercise bike, and this week I'm expecting to have a Weider Cross Bow delivered! (Exclamation point to indicate my major excitement!) If you're not familiar with it, it's a less expensive Bow Flex knockoff. Apparently it gives a great upper body workout and a so-so lower body workout, and doesn't give the results that free weights do, but is a great machine for beginners and those who have less aggressive or high-reaching body-building goals. That's where I am now, although that may entirely change as I get into it. Whatever it takes to get started is ok by me! I do have some barbells with plates, but didn't have a bench and just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to start with them. My research tells me, though, that I'll need to use them to get my body where I need to be, ie. squats, lunges, and a couple of other exercises not optimally executed with the Cross Bow.

I intend to work out 6 days/week: 3 weights, 3 intense cardio, with a couple of 20 minute, moderate cardio sessions in the morning -- just to get the metabolism going. I know that I will need some motivational support to get and stay on track.....my partner is not at all interested in participating with me, so I'm in it alone. It also will take some real focus and will-power to stick to my guns in working out every night after work. As you can see from my sig, I've got a bit of a journey before me, but I'm definitely making progress, and am proud of my results to date. I do have to say that I've found the food thing much easier to control than the exercise piece. My hope is that I just don't love cardio...and will become a strength-training beast! (Rather than acknowledging that my real passion is simply sitting quietly! ) Ah well, it doesn't matter much, since sitting is just not an option for me anymore.

I think you're very smart to reach out for support in keeping yourself on track -- and I'd absolutely love to participate! Hopefully others will join in, too.....the more the merrier! Shall we post here in our own thread, or what were you thoughts?

So, what are you doing at the gym?
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:16 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

Gen and Sarah!!

WELCOME!! We LUVS newbies at LWL!! !!

You've come to right place for exercise enthusiasts... For me, I have no problem with the exercise part of a healthy lifestyle, it's the food s that lurk every now and then, or maybe too often!! But this is a great bunch for motivation that's for sure...

We're lucky here at LWL in that we have our own Personal Trainer Mel, who is great to give any type of advise from the newbie lifter to the seasonned ones....So ask away and we'll all be happy to be of help and put in our personal 2 cents...

So join us on the weekly thread for any questions you may have...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaii1
Gen and Sarah!!

WELCOME!! We LUVS newbies at LWL!! !!
Well, thank you for the most gracious welcome, Ilene!! You are one very effective welcome wagon!

You'll be hearing more from me as I start working out.....delivery date of the machine is looking like Thursday....I'm so excited about it, and am feeling so, SO positive about building my muscles!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:01 PM   #5  

Default the more the merrier!

ok! lets get this thing rolling!
thanks for the welcome ilene
now there are four of us.
there is someone else who responded in the exercise forum so we should pick one forum. i would suggest going over there because probably not everybody will be lifting weights. but will ask what others think. let me know what you think.
i will be though. i'm doing both weights and cardio at the Y. i also will do a few aerobic or fitness classes just to keep it interesting if scheduling permits.
my idea is that we post our plan then come here and check in. we would say whether we stuck to our plan or not for the week, what we did, what our next goal is, problems we have while exercising, sticking to our plans and reaching our goals.
i have a lot of free time so i can come here often but i'm sure there are some who would be able to post once a week or so.
since tomorrow is the start of a new work week i guess we can start tomorrow or whenever you can this week.
thanks for joining and looking forward to seeing you here!

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote