Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:20 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Wk of May 17/04

Good morning Lifers, Soon-to-Be Lifers, and anyone else lurking in the shadows! Feel free to join us

Saturday was a washout here--cold temps (48) and drizzle, total opposite of Friday's 80 degrees. Sunday was a little better with the sun finally showing around 3 p.m.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. DS #2 left for his science fair trip yesterday morning and it was a bittersweet thing for me. I'm sure he's going to enjoy himself but it's quiet on the home front. I met my friend yesterday afternoon and we walked for 1 1/2 hours down on the peninsula and it felt good. I'm planning on heading out again today at noon and take advantage of the sun and nice temps. I bought a new pair of walking sneakers and wore them yesterday for my walk and they feel good.

Hi to Lala, Domina, Susan, Pam!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

It was another busy weekend. Friday I played golf and got sunburned! I couldn't believe it. I had applied sunscreen, but I forgot to re-apply it later. Then there was a wedding rehearsal and then opening night of my concert show. On Saturday, the wedding happened and it was touch and go; it poured down rain just as the girls were coming to the church. That night was the 90th birthday party for our friend--that was fun. On Sunday, I had my concert again.

Eating-wise, I have not been doing well. I've been eating lots of chocolate (probably TOM-related). I also bought the dreaded Chex Mix again (it was one sale!!--how about that for rationalization?) I really need to get serious again.

Melissa, I can't get over the temperature swings in your area--40's in May? I'm glad you got to take a long walk.

Oh, a caution about melatonin that I noticed in last week's posts. Long-term use of melatonin can cause liver problems. Also, if a person has had serious eye problems, e.g. detached retina, he/she should never use melatonin. My DH and I prefer Valerian occasionally and a linen spray with lavender for our pillows (works like a charm).
Old 05-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #3  

Hi Ladies,

Beautiful day here with temps in the 70's. The weekend was pretty nice also, so I took advantage of it and did some yardwork. Eating wise I did OK on Saturday (other than my usually after yardwork treat of 2 Corona lights ) and Sunday I ended the day with 25 points which is in the range I like to be. Since TOM is still with me I'll holding off on weighing in until Friday.

Very busy work week with lots of meetings both in the office and out. That should make the week go by quickly.

Melissa glad you got your walk in. How was the rugby tournament this weekend? I know what you mean when the youngest of the family is gone, it can get very lonely. My son just completed his first year of college also. It's truly amazing how quickly time goes by. He did well also..I'm so proud..bet you are too!

Domina take care of that sunburn! Glad you got some time to golf. What did you end up getting the 90 year old for his birthday??

Susan hope you enjoyed your long weekend. I've also tried Valerian for sleepless nights and it does work although when things get really bad I do resort to my Tylenol PM's.

Lala hope your making progress preparing for your trip.

Take care everyone. Talk to you soon.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:00 PM   #4  

Pam, I found chocolate truffle golf balls! I'm sure he had a laugh about them.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #5  

Domina: Sounds like you had a really busy weekend! I've only used the melatonin on a limited basis--maybe once/twice a week just before my TOM starts when I have trouble sleeping but don't take them regularly. I hadn't heard about the side effects or about valerian root being better. Watch out for that chex mix...it can be dangerous

Pam: It's 74 here and perfect for walking. I got a nice 40 minute walk in over the lunch hour--I feel good about getting out. The rugby tournament went well although I didn't stick around too long because it was cold and wet; it was only in the mid 40's and it was raining off an on...not good weather to be a spectator so I stayed for about an hour and then headed to get some things for DS #2 for his trip. We did go to the party afterwards for a bit and enjoyed that. It's hard to believe that their freshman year is over...I think this year passed even more quickly than his senior year!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:19 PM   #6  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

I love chocolate truffle golf balls. Great gift.

Busy weekend here. Lots of trip prep -- finding uncirculated bills, packing, running around. Did a bunch of gardening, so short of lawn mowing and getting some beans in the ground, I feel like I can leave and not be freaked out on my return. DP is in North Carolina and DC all next week and nothing will be done while she's gone.

I have also started making lists of things to do, so its time to tackle them. Yikes!
Oh, and there is that pesky work thing.

Other than that, I maintained this week and hoping to post a loss on Thursday - last weigh in before leaving.

bbl,

lala
Old 05-17-2004, 02:21 PM   #7  

Just had to post a quick note...DS #2 just called and he received a 1st place for his presentation at the PJAS Competition and will be part of the awards ceremony this evening...I am SO happy for him!!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #8  

Melissa congratulations to DS2..
Old 05-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Big bravo to Melissa's progeny!

woo hoo.

lala
Old 05-18-2004, 09:35 AM   #10  

Melissa, Congrats to DS #2. What was the topic of his project?

I went to an audition last night for the female version of "The Odd Couple." Keep your fingers crossed. It's a very funny play.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:38 AM   #11  

Good morning everyone.

That's great news about your son Melissa. You must be so proud of him!

Domina: H-m-m chocolate truffle golf balls. On second thought, maybe golf isn't so bad.... Hope the burn is better.

lalal: How long will you be away again? Do you have anyone in to look after Jacques or does he stay at the dog hotel while you're gone?

Pam: I have tried both valerian and melatonin and neither had much effect. It's been better the past few nights; I think I got into a "pattern" and it took a while to get out of it.

The physiotherapist has suggested I go for a run tonight to test out the leg. Yeah!!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:43 AM   #12  

Good morning! It's cloudy here this morning and they're calling for more rain. We had a pretty good thunderstorm last evening and lots of rain.

My son's topic was physics and it was something about does weight affect the distance a model car travels. He built a K'nex car and then added different weights of nuts and then tracked the distance it went going on a 45 degree ramp. He had to do transparencies, note cards, etc. I'm anxious to see his this afternoon and to hear about how everything went. I'm leaving work early so I can meet the bus.

Susan: Good to hear that the therapist said you can go for a trial run--here's hoping all is well!

Domina: Hope you get a part! I envy people who can get up and perform in front of people--I get nervous just talking in front of a group.

I don't think I'm going to be able to get out for a walk today at noon because the weather isn't cooperating. Oh well, probably good to just stay in and relax for a change.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:28 PM   #13  
si, si signora

Hi all,

Susan, here's to a good run tonight.

Domina -- I saw a female version of the odd couple. It was great! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Melissa -- sounds like DS had a pretty cool project. I hated physics, so I encourage anyone who likes it to go for it. Can you send me a bit of rain, I don't have time to water today.

Hi Pam! I rewarded myself with a long gin and tonic last night after delivering community newsletters in the heat. I did the steep side of the street and broke my friend in with the flat side. You gotta love Seattle's terrain.

Okay, freaking out here. Lots to do and I can't seem to concentrate. I have most of the things I need, but I think I need to do my mental and physical checklists. One thing I would like to do is weigh in on Thursday. I need to lay off the g&ts and lay on the water and veggies for the next few days. My eating was soo good for about two weeks and now its at 70%.

Susan -- Jacques and Roya have a housesitter. Our friend who now separated is renting a place v.near us, so he is willing to stay at our house and take care of the animals in trade for having a car to use and having a nicer place to chill. I have written their instructions and counted out Jacques arthritis meds., he runs out on our memorial day, so I am getting it refilled now. Am I a good mom or what?

okay, gotta split.

smooches to you all.

lala
Old 05-18-2004, 07:13 PM   #14  

Hi ladies,

Well my healthy low point eating is continuing.. yeah for me!! It is now 7 pm and I am at 20 points and I think that is where I will end the day. I usually stop eating after 8 pm so I should be able to hang in for another hour.

Melissa I bet you can't wait to hear about your sons wonderful experience. He sounds like a really smart young man. Sorry about your weather, ours was pretty nice today, but unfortunately I was too busy to get a walk in this afternoon. Oh well.. forecast looks good for tomorrow also so I'll definitely get one in then.

Susan glad the sleeping pattern is better. Good luck with your "trial" run today. Do you have any more exciting trips planned for this year??

Domina good luck with the play auditions. I would love to see a female version of the Odd Couple. Are you trying out for the female version of Felix or Oscar??

Lala hope you thoroughly enjoyed those G & T's. Definitely one of my favorite adult libations also. How long will you be away from Jacques? Very convenient that your friend could house/pet sit for you. That will certainly give you one less thing to worry about.

Well off to pick up Lauren from dance class..only 3 more weeks to recital..

Talk to you soon.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:11 AM   #15  

Pam, Good for you sticking to the points. Right now I'm looking at the vending machine because I have terrible hunger pangs--help!

lala, that's great that someone is there to watch your animals. DH and I are headed to South Dakota in a few weeks for his marathon. We have a friend who watches our 5 birds at her house (she has 2). It's so much better to have someone watch them than take them in for boarding.

Well, I have good news. I was cast as one of the friends of Florence and Olive. It should be fun. The theater is also doing the male version of the show and I was cast in that one, too, as one of the British girlfriends. This should be interesting. I hope I can keep my parts straight. The scripts are very funny. I can't wait to hear who else was cast.
Closed Thread