Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #1  
~*Hopelessly Dreaming*~

Question What's The Deal With Soup?

I used to eat a lot of those styrofoam soup in a cup lunches but I recently heard they're bad for you. Is soup from a can bad too? Awhile back I read a study on how eating only soup can really help lose weight, although I know it wouldn't be something you'd do for the rest of your life. But is soup once a day okay?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:52 PM   #2  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

The problem with most soups in the cups is they are sky high with sodium. That is bad especially if you have high blood pressure issues.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:17 PM   #3  

Becky-you should be fine-if convenience is an issue I wouldn't worry about eating things out of a can. Just make sure you're not eating processed foods too often. Opt for a salad one day or soup in packets like miso (those are so satisying) and you just have to add hot water
Old 05-17-2004, 07:48 PM   #4  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

love has the right idea. miso is yummy and so good for you. as far as the soup in a cup, if you mean the snackramen, not only are they super high in sodium, but the noodles are high in fat from being fried. some soups in a can are better than others, check the sodium amount. brothy soups are always best but some cream soups aren't too bad
Old 05-21-2004, 01:33 PM   #5  
Queen of Balance

Smile A soup idea for you... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBoo19
I used to eat a lot of those styrofoam soup in a cup lunches but I recently heard they're bad for you. Is soup from a can bad too? Awhile back I read a study on how eating only soup can really help lose weight, although I know it wouldn't be something you'd do for the rest of your life. But is soup once a day okay?
Hi Becky! I'm new to this forum, but I think I have some helpful to share on this topic. hehe

Have you considered making your own soup? Ready to eat soups, even ones that are advertised as healthy, are extremely high in sodium. It's especially bad if you have high blood pressure or are sensitive to salt, but it's unhealthy for you even if you don't have those things. Lots of salt can cause dehydration which is bad on so many levels. Blah blah...you get my drift, right?

Soup is one of those foods that really help me stay focused and get my miniumum of 5 veggie servings in each day. However, when I figured out that ready-to-eat soups were so high in sodium I knew I had to find an alternative.

So, I found some simple, quick and easy soup recipes. I make a big batch so it lasts me all week. Sometimes I freeze some if I know I won't have time to make more before I run out. Here's one of my favorite recipes:

1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
4 cups water, veggie or chicken stock (be sure to get the kind with very low sodium or make your own if you have the time- you can always add salt to your finished soup if you want to...but it's important, I think, that you be in control of how much salt goes in)
1 cup chopped onion (you can also buy these frozen to save time etc)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup peeled, chopped carrots
3 garlic cloves, minced or 1- 2 tsp jarred minced garlic
1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 T low sodium soy sauce
1 T cider vinegar

Heat up the broth in a big soup pot. Add the veggies, in order, chopping as you go. Stir in the tomatoes, soy sauce, vinegar, and herbs. Simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add salt to taste.

If you'd like you can substitue or add in some of these non-starchy veggies:
artichoke hearts
asparagus
beets
broccoli
broccoli rabe
brussel sprouts
cauliflower chard
collards
cucumbers
eggplant
endive
jicama
kale
leeks
lettuce
mushrooms
okra
scallions
snow peas
spaghetti squash
spinach
summer squash
turnips
water chestnuts
zucchini

Hope that helps! Good luck, fellow soup lover!

Kindly,
Connie
Old 05-21-2004, 09:22 PM   #6  
stbakd

becky try going www.wieightwatchers.com to a 0 point veggie soup
glen
Old 05-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Connie that veggie soup sounds delish...

Soup is excellent for you but not the canned stuff IMO... Make your own and freeze it...
Old 05-21-2004, 11:25 PM   #8  
Queen of Balance

Smile Thanks, Lanaii...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaii1
Connie that veggie soup sounds delish...

Soup is excellent for you but not the canned stuff IMO... Make your own and freeze it...
It's such a great recipe because it's so versatile and quick. I freaked out when I "discovered" how much sodium is in ready-to-eat soup, not mention canned broth. Yikes! It's been wonderful to have healthy soup to eat all week, and helps boost my veggie intake at the same time. Yay!

Thanks for the reply! This newbie appreciates it!!

Kindly,
Connie
Old 05-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #9  

I wish I had someone to make me big pots of Soup... LOL, I think that woulf be wonderful. In all actuality though, soup from a can should be okay as long as it is not eaten every single day. Anything that you have EVERY single day is not good, go with variety, and occasionally eating one that isn't the healthiest option is okay, enjoy yourself once in a while... Be smart about it and you will be okay!! Good luck...
Old 05-24-2004, 02:41 PM   #10  
~*Hopelessly Dreaming*~

Default Thanks

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to get on my computer the past few days and I apologize! I just checked back here and I really appreciate all of your replies. They are very helpful and I am definately going to try to make some of my own soup!! Thanks so very much!!!!

Becky
Old 05-31-2004, 04:26 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

BeckyBoo, check out the soup recipes at www.cookinglight.com They are good for almost all diets and really tasty! Personally, I highly recommend the whole magazine, but you can get a lot of great recipes right on their website.

Check the info on the can of soup if you go the canned route. Some are quite healthy, like Progresso's Black Bean soup. Yum! Also, do you have any local places that make their own soup? You could get takeout from them for the convenience...we have several locally that make awesome soups!
Old 05-31-2004, 06:00 PM   #12  

A lot of the dry soup mixes have trans-fats in them. I forgot where I read that but after that I threw out all soup mixes. I also used them for the convenience but have decided that it's not worth it. I have so many recipes for soups that I decided to make my own.
Closed Thread