General Diet Plans and Questions - Any other calorie counters out there?????

teach93
04-08-2001, 10:40 AM
Just wondered if there were any other calorie counters out there? I have tried many programs WW etc, have counted fats and still come right back to the calorie counting again. I do not count fats, but I try to make low fat choices. Was just interested to know if anyone else uses this method. It must be what I was meant for as I come back to it over and over again.

MrsJim
04-08-2001, 11:33 AM
I'm just like you - I keep going back to the old-fashioned calorie counting (calories in and calories out).

But I realize not everyone is crazy about counting all those little calories - thank goodness for points and exchanges.

I really enjoy using www.fitday.com to keep track of my intake and outtake - it's great and best of all, FREE! FREE!!

ataraxia
04-08-2001, 12:03 PM
I've been struggling with my weight for years and I finally accepted that the only solution is to keep track of my weight as regularly as possible. Every day after I wake up but before I shower I record my daily weight and enter it into a log. I found a great website for logging weight and caloric intake! You can track your progress and it even tells you how many calories per day you are burning off and what your target daily calorie level should be. I think the link is:

http://www.everydaytrend.com

Even if you're not fully in control of your diet, it is a great help to have a clear picture of what's going on. Knowing that continuing at your current rate you will slowly be adding a pound or two every month is an awfully powerful motivator, especially when you consider that skipping out on some butter or switching to diet soda might make all the difference.

Ilene
04-08-2001, 07:09 PM
I've come back to calorie counting too... I also use www.fitday.com, love that site.... What are you girls keeping your calorie count between each day... I TRY desperately to stay between 1200 and 1600 with less than 43 gms of fat....but lately, I am always above 1600... AND I exercise regularly too..... My periods started today too... what a relief that is.....I can see myself unbloating as we speak...:lol:...

Anyways....just my 2 cents.....

lana....:love:....

teach93
04-08-2001, 10:54 PM
I currently am trying to keep cals at 1600 although on the weekend I will crawl up a bit. I also weigh quite a bit more probably, starting out around 280, so need the extra fuel. I tried 1000-1200 and thought I was going to starve to death. I would rather lose slowly and steadily///I have been the way of the quick diet 40 off and then 40 back on. That seems to be hard on the old body.

Elaine

justaveggie
04-09-2001, 02:50 AM
There is so much truth in weight loss being counting calories. I think whatever diet you choose you still end up taking in less calories no matter what kind of food you are using. However I don't actually count calories but I do think about what I had eaten for each meal and so by the end of the day I have a really good idea of how many I have eaten, between 1200-1500 every day. I also try and have most of my calories before dinner so I don't usually have a huge evening meal.

teach93
04-09-2001, 07:33 AM
Sometimes I log my calories and sometimes I just make estimates, and I think most of the time I do pretty well at home, eating out---well, questionable. Let's face it, most of us who have been counting calories a long time are pretty good at estimating what we eat, for better or worse.

I don't take anything away from other programs, in fact I know lots of people who have had success with most of them!!! I just agree with every one else that when it comes right down to it, calories do count.

Elaine

LisaSue
04-09-2001, 08:44 AM
Hi there!

Count me in as another one counting calories. I've just started doing this recently, hubby also, due to his heart scare a few weeks ago, his Dr. told him once again that he needs to do something about the extra weight, and he sent in a Nutritionist at the hospital (I was still there when she came in) and we really had a great conversation...learned alot and learned how much we've actually been eating....amazing when we think about it now.

I've basically used the Zone, cutting out refined carbs, eating a leaner protien and watching the fat intake. I have lost about 20 lbs. on it, but since watching the calories, I've dropped another 6 lbs. :D and have about 10 more to go.

I have a few calorie counter books, and it boggles my mind when I think I'm having a 1/2 cup and measure it, it turns out to be more like 3/4 to 1 full cup. Haven't yet been able to "eyeball" correct portions yet, but we're doing much better and feel so much better too.

Glad to have found a thread talking about this. I was considering doing just that, asking where the other Calorie Counters were, and what's helping them also.

We keep a food/exercise journal as well and it's been such a help.

Have a great day! :wave:

lorelei1
04-09-2001, 09:42 AM
I am a calorie counter too. I read in Prevention magazine that you can try all the fad diets and they will work while you stick to it. The reason they work is that they naturally control the calories you get. (no bread, no desserts, etc..) It comes down to calories. If you eat more than your body needs you gain-less you lose!

I too weigh a lot so I have been keeping my calories around 2000 a day. I have lost 25 pounds so far, slowly but surely (since Jan 1). At 2000 cals I am definately not starving and plan to stick to this amount until I don't lose and will have to lower it to 1800. I figure if it works,stick with it. If you drastically reduce the amount of calories you get your bod goes into starvation mode and slows down your metabolism. I have read tons on this! Now I have to just lose this weight!! LOL

do you all want to keep this thread going? We can report our weigh ins and how many calories we are getting and also exercise (something I have to work on!)

Lorelei
(313/288/282 first 10% goal)

sabrina
04-09-2001, 02:05 PM
I'm also a calorie counter who combines it with the Zone principles (hi Lisa Sue!). Lately, I've been aiming for around 1200-1400 per day, which is all my body can take and still continue to lose weight. It is so easy for me to eat 1800-2000 a day, but I can't lose eating that many calories (doggonit!). I'm 5'5" tall, and a size 11/12 trying to get back into a 7/8.

I walk briskly for an hour, 3-4 times a week, and now that the weather is getting nicer, may bump it to 5 times a week. I drink anywhere from 64 - 96 ounces of water per day.

I used to use FitDay, but got out of the habit. :-P I spend so much time on the computer for work and for school, that I've gone back to the ol' paper notepad for tracking calories. For me, I eat as little as possible during the morning (just enough to get the metabolism going) and eat about 4-500 calories for lunch and dinner. This leaves me a little bit for a small afternoon and evening snack, which I really seem to need, especially since I am often up until 11-12 or so studying.
I realize this goes against popular thinking, but it is what works for me and my lifestyle. :)

I would love to continue this thread - hope we do!

Sabrina
171.5/159/135?

LisaSue
04-09-2001, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone:

Sabrina, I think you and I are pretty much the same size here, 12's are slightly looser and 10's...well, not there yet. I'm 5' 8 1/2" (gotta keep that 1/2 inch ;) ).
Hubby went to the Drs. today and he's lost 7 lbs. so far (in almost 3 weeks) and he asked his (our) Dr. what would be my max. calorie intake (hubby, wonderful man told the Dr. that I'm 5'6" ????? was it his last wife that was smaller? :) anyhow, with that to go on, he said that I only weighed 146 (bless his heart), so my max. intake should be 1400! Boy was I angry! He's 6'6" and his intake should be 2500 and whaaaaaat :?: am I supposed to do with this measily 1400 cal. starve? I've been doing fine with 1500 to 1700 and I vary it day to day, only by 200 calories ... hoping the matabolism cannot get used to one set calorie intake per day!

Lorelei: I think I'll do what you're doing, stay on the certain no. of calories until no more weight loss and then drop the calorie intake down some. I don't want my body getting used to a lower amount and then when I do eat more, I'll just pack it on.

I for one, would love to keep this thread going also. Will do that and do the weigh ins, calorie counts and exercise as well.

Take care

MrsJim
04-09-2001, 03:51 PM
Since I exercise a LOT, I usually take in about 1500-1800 calories a day, otherwise I get very lightheaded!

Generally, I hit the gym for about two hours six mornings a week. As soon as our weather here gets a bit stabilized, I'm going to start riding my bike on weekends and after work (don't you just love it when the days are longer??).

Many times I'm tempted to reduce my calories and 'rev up' my slooooow weight loss. However - I know from experience that if I'm not eating enough, I'll just end up binging!

Ilene
04-09-2001, 07:12 PM
I agree lets keep this thread going... for a while anyways till we get really busy doing our summer workouts outside.....:)....

Today I've had 1475 cals and 21 gms fat.....not bad at all and I'm pleased.....

I exercise regularly too.... go to to the gym do weights about 45 mins 5 mornings/wk and walk an hour every evening... Lately nothing seems to work for me.... I'm good for about 2 weeks then I'm bad for 2 weeks and put on the 2 or 3 lbs that I've lost....:(... I'm getting quite discouraged....The reason I'm overeating in those 2 weeks is that I'm PMSing..... and I really don't eat that much junk... altho I do, but I just seem to overeat in everything.... whether it be too many fruits or whole wheat pasta or whatever... Like we've all been saying. a calorie is a calorie is a CALORIE!!! so even if it is good healthy food too much is too much... Anyways any suggestions guys?? It seems that if I could get over the PMS period I would have it made, but I cannot remember the last time that has happened....It's been years
I've lost 5 lbs since January...

In the summer I roller blade and bike every single day and go to the gym for weights.....Love my weight training....

Hope everyone has had a good day....

Lana.....:love:......

165;160.........................whenever I get there.............................135....:lol:

justaveggie
04-10-2001, 02:56 AM
Lanaii
If only we knew the secret about controlling pmsing. I'm sure that none of us would be here. Of course that is an exagerated statement but I just don't know the secret. I have been fallowing my diet now for three months and am losing slowly but even though I feel I have a good grip on cravings and portion control and eating the right kinds of foods (less bread and more vegetables) I still run into those feelings once a month for a milkyway midnight bar (I want one of these every day for about a week). I actually have to stay away from stores that have them and make sure that the grocery line I am standing in does not have them in the candy rack right there because my will power is down to zero at that time of the month. I am convinced that for me I just must deal with this every month and suffer so to speak.

179/166/145

teach93
04-10-2001, 07:38 AM
Glad to know there are others out there like me. Just finding out that you guys are around has made me want to recommit to my calorie counting. Have been a little (OK a lot slack) on that lately. Hope to talk with you all more when I get a little more time, have to get ready for school. Good luck to us all!!!

Elaine

287/287/199 (first goal)

Dimples
04-10-2001, 09:35 AM
I also count calories. I try to stay between 1600 and 1800 but sometimes I creep up to about 2000. I try and do the higher end on the weekends and the lower amount during the week.

LisaSue
04-10-2001, 03:12 PM
Hello there!

Lana, "maybe" you are losing fat, but with your strength training, could it be possible that you're replacing the fat with muscle? I know I've gone qute a few months with such a small weight loss that I wanted to quit, but exercising does make me feel good and even sometimes when I don't see the diff. on the scale, maybe my ring would be a littel looser, or my clothes fit better. I know I "FEEL" good like something GOOD is happening inside.

Have you ever thought that you could be exercising too much? Maybe you're body is holding onto what it has because you're not getting enough calories for as active as you are. (I also love to rollerblade in the summer).

I've been drinking (not sipping, but mouthfuls) of cold water throughout the day and I've increased my water intake greatly and I don't get bloated anymore, and I cut down on coffee (caffine) and I don't get any tenderness up top neither. As far as the cravings, I buy the bite size snickers or caramello bars and they are in the TOP shelf in the BACK of my cupboard so it's not easy to get to them and I do allow myself to have one even two and let me tell you, I savor every bite.

If I feel too deprived, then I end up binging and my mood is just all crappy.

I hope you can find something that'll help. Maybe even a visit to the Dr. can help put things into perspective.

Good luck,
Lisa

Ilene
04-10-2001, 10:19 PM
Calorie wise I had a good day...less than 1600 cals and about 50 gms of fat, fatwise not the greatest but it's because I had a small piece of cake...And I don't feel so bad about it because I still was under 1600 cals....and I guess I shouldn't make myself deprived as you said Lisa....

Thanks for the thoughts Lisa..... I doubt very much that I have gained muscles... I have been doing weights regularly for 16 years now... yes I was in the gym when women were frowned upon in a gym, well at mine they were anyways... so it's not the muscles... I even weight trained through 2 pregnancies.... had the easiest pregnancies on record :) I really must brag about them the first one was 4 hours from beginning to end.....the second get this....I left the house at 2:35am had the baby at 2:55am, thank goodness the hospital is only 2 blocks away...:lol:... 3 pushes too and she was out.... But funny you should mention the doctor, because I have been procrastinating about making an appointment, it's been at least 4 years, and I'm 44 so that's not a good thing.... I think I'll make one tomorrow.....

I even take vitamins for my PMS....which really helps .....

Thanks girls, talking about these things has made me think.... and thinking is a good thing......

Later all....

It's getting late here....

Lana......

lorelei1
04-12-2001, 12:27 PM
I am glad there are us calorie counters out there. I really feel it's the best way to lose weight and to maintain it once you get to your ideal /goal weight. I have been going to the slimfast thread cause I use their products sometimes for breakfast or snacks but I would prefer to have a thread where we all count calories!

Well for me, as I stated before I am keeping mine between 1800-2000 since I have so much to lose and it's still working! This morning I weighed in and lost another two pounds!!

Lorelei
27 pounds lighter!! :) :) :)

SHEILAXXX
04-12-2001, 01:43 PM
Hi:

I am another new calorie counter. I currently weigh 198 and would like to lose about 50-60 pounds. Could someone suggest how many calories I should be eating. I have gained and lost so many times that I really have trouble losing. I am glad that I found you. Hope we can keep this thread going.

moonbeam
04-12-2001, 02:31 PM
Hey, another calorie counter here! Counting calories is really the only way that works for me. None of this cut out a whole food group stuff (although I am a vegetarian, so I guess I already do cut out a lot). I try to stay under 1800 calories a day. I'm 5'9", trying to lose those last ten pounds, and I exercise a fair amount, so I feel this isn't excessive. I can still feel fairly satisfied on 1800 and still have dessert as long as it's not over the top, so that makes it a lot easier for me! Anyway, I think it's great to have a calorie counters thread going for those of us who aren't using any particular commercial weight loss plan, so let's keep it up!

Cat
180/145/135

LisaSue
04-12-2001, 04:16 PM
Hi Gang:

Welcome Shiela and Moonbeam: I'm also gald to have found this thread and I get quite a bit of support and ideas. Not to mention everyone here is great!

As far as what your calorie intake should be, I'm not quite sure myself.
My hubby talked with our Dr. (about me) when he had his appt. last week, a check up (due to his heart scare and thus being told to LOSE weight ...again), but our Dr. told him that I would need to be on a 1400 calorie a day diet. But, I'm 5' 8 1/2" and hubby told him I was only 5'7" and I walk 5 to 6 days a week for about 50 minutes and I try to walk at least 3 1/2 miles each time. Not always, but I still try.
I personally don't feel "strong" enough at 1400 calories per day. I try to get in anywhere between 1400 to 1700 per day and I will allow myself a treat (which is anything chocolate) only once a week now. Actually I gave up "junk food" "sweets" and "chocolate" for Lent and I've noticed a big change, lost 4 lbs. right away and the craving for something sweet is there sometimes, but I don't crave chocolate like I used to.

I believe it all depends on your height and activity level. But I'd start at around 1800 to 2000 per day and then take it from there.

It's such a shock counting calories now. I'm amazed at how much hubby and I actually did eat. No wonder we looked like we did.

Have a great day everyone
Lisa

CIRCLES
04-12-2001, 10:58 PM
Hello Everyone

I have been reading through the threads and i'm very interested in counting calories. However i'm not exactly sure how you go about it. I know there is a calorie value for everything we eat, but if you don't have a label right in front of you, or it's a homemade dish you are eating..... how do you count? Like with Weight Watchers you have those books with a point value for everything. Is there something like that with the Calorie counting? I would appreciate it if someone would be so kind to point me in the right direction(a website or something).

Thank you for any help

lorelei1
04-13-2001, 09:08 AM
Welcome to all our new members!!

SheilaXXX-It's really hard to say exactly how many calories someone should have. It's based on your age, how much you weigh and how much you exercise. I don't know the exact website but it is interesting to search the net like I did a few months ago. I came across several "basal metabolism calculators" (thats what I typed to find them). You input your sex, height, age and activity level and the calculator figures out how many calories your body needs just to function (Like if you literally did nothing but lay on the couch ALL day your body may need 1500 calories a day and if you were moderately active it would say you needed 1800 for example). It will tell your basal metabolism and your active metabolism. It will say to maintain your weight eat calories between the two figures and to lose eat a few hundred less than your basal.
For me due to my weight and height it said my basal (if I did nothing all day) is 2000 calories and active is 2300. I eat between 1800-2000 a day and have lost 27 pounds in 3 months!! good luck!!

Circles-I would go to a bookstore in the health/fitness section and get an inexpensive paperback calorie counter book. When you use it enough you kind of learn the basics of what you eat a lot. Like most fruit
is 50-100 calories a piece. A piece of bread is 80 calories but diet bread is 40 (2 pieces for the calories of one regular!!), Veggies vary but are also low-cal. It can be 50-100 cals a half cup, etc.. Also some books list your fave resturants calorie counts. You would be suprised the calories in some of the fast food breakfasts for example. Also fast food info is on the web for most resturants like burgerking.com,
etc... there are also calorie counting websites you can go to just search under calorie counting and you should find some.

Well, I am looking forward to Sunday to see how close I get to my 30 pound Easter goal!! :) :) :)

happy weekend!!
Lorelei
27 pounds lighter

FeistyFilly
04-13-2001, 10:24 PM
Yep, Yep, Count me in as a caloire counter. Even tho I drink a Slim Fast here and there. I found drinking a Slim Fast is allot better then ordering a shake at a fast food place. Cliff bars and Luna bars comes in handy for candy craving and such so I find things to supplement other things around snack time. So far I have been staying between the 1200 and 1500 calorie range. It's been working for me pretty good so far and dog gone it I lost weight. I only weigh myself in every Fri. I don't want to drive myself crazy with the scale every day. Take a 30min walk in the morning and train my dogs in the evening. I think caloire counting has been the most successful thing I did.

lorelei1
04-16-2001, 06:53 PM
I will have to get back on the stick. I was out of control all weekend. I always seem to lose it at holiday time and eat way to much food and candy, etc..
Oh, well tommorow is another day!! Back to my calorie counting, hope everyone else did much better.

Lorelei

Ilene
04-16-2001, 09:56 PM
Yes today is another day.....
I had many calories today but all good ones, for some reason I was really hungry for fruits....ate 4 bananas and 4 large oranges....
Hope eveyone had a good weekend...back to the ole grind here tomorrow...It's gonna be another short weeek.....yippee......
My g/f and I will join weight watchers at the end of the month...she has some occasions that she wants to pass over before joining....I will do points and calories....same diff if you ask me....one way or the other I will loose weight...darn I just gotta....
Circles, if you want a good calorie counting web site try www.fitday.com.....excellent and free...

Later girls....

Lana...:love:....

jlnah
04-16-2001, 10:51 PM
Hi! I'm the new girl! I began counting calories 2 1/2 weeks ago and have lost 5lbs. so far. I weigh myself on Mondays so I don't have to look at the scale the day after a binge-fest like today. I'm glad you all were here. I'm ready for tomorrow to start over again. I'm only 5'2" and should only be eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I'm finding that really hard to do. I also gave up all sweets (except sugar-free icecream, only thing I don't crave) for Lent and did great until today. I ate some of my little boy's candy and it set me off to eating all day. Wow, I sure wish I could have this day back! I only managed to walk 1/2 a mile today because hubby was out of town and kids would not cooperate. I'm off to bed- tomorrow is a new day!

I enjoyed reading previous posts and feel good about my calorie counting plan again. Thanks! :)

Laura

LisaSue
04-17-2001, 05:50 PM
Hi All:

My weigh in's are on Friday's and usually after the weigh in, I know what kind of weekend I'll be having. I have been pretty busy getting the yard ready for the spring/summer, so I'm outside quite a bit and not stuck inside "thinking" about NOT eating.

I lost 2 lbs. last week and I've been keeping my calorie intake close to 1400 to 1600 per day, but I do exercise pretty much 5 (sometimes) 6 days a week. I've also given up chocolate and junk foods/sweets for Lent and I really noticed my weight loss started up again. I think I was at a platue or something, but giving all of that up, has helped a great deal. I now allow myself something like that no more than twice a week, but I have to have exercised everyday, or it's only one day a week. I had to give myself limits with that or it'd would be a mess all over again.

I hope everyone is doing well and has a great week with your programs.
;)

Ilene
04-17-2001, 07:10 PM
How is everyone today after the w/end? Here was a great day food wise...only 1277 cals. and 27 gms fat....yahoo!!!

Over the W/end tho....weelllllll.....that's was a different story...:lol: It was difficult to get back into work today.... I haven't weighed myself in ages....scared to....:sad:

This morning and yesterday I was at the gym did my usual w/out, and later I will go for a walk... I may do a Yoga tape later too.......

Anyways I have to get going...

Later girls,

Lana....:love:.....

FeistyFilly
04-18-2001, 06:17 PM
Amazing about yard work. It's really a work out. Espeically with a push mower. Flower planting is worth it. Just beautiful. I need to get some bird seeds for the bird feeder. I have also been wanting to get a squirrel feeder. Got a squirrel that likes to stick around the yard so I name him Sam. So cute. :D

I weigh in Friday's and it is just around the corner. Can't wait. Hopping I lost those two pounds. Then I can say I lost 10lb reward myself and start on my next 10lb.

Starting weight 257 sitting at 249, future weekend weight 247, Goal weight 137

jlnah
04-18-2001, 10:02 PM
How are all of you energetic women? I'm feeling great! I got my new walkman tonight and walk/jogged 2.75 miles. I would have gone longer but it was getting dark. I drank 11 glasses of water and stayed below 1500 calories! I met all my goals today! Hope you all were successful!

Laura

LisaSue
04-19-2001, 02:26 PM
Well, I got off to a great start again today. Yesterday, I walked (4.0 mph) on the treadmill for an hour and did 4 miles--never have gone that long before and I do elevate the treadmill some thru out the walking. Did great with the counting calories, and then my mother in law and her sister and niece all came over (MIL is leaving this weekend for home, Arizona) so last night wasn't too good with eating. I did eat a few desserts, but I wouldn't let myself feel too guilty. Hubby gave me a few eyebrow raises though, but I just ignored him.

I did a 20 min. light, weight lifting tape, walked for 35 minutes plus mowed the grass today, so I really don't feel guilty about what I ate last night. I just hope I don't repeat the same thing again tonight.

It's a beautiful day out today and I can't wait until the weather stays warmer.

I hope everyone is having a good day. Stay positive and "talk" with you all later. :)

FeistyFilly
04-20-2001, 10:55 AM
Lost two more pounds. It's Friday and I weigh my self in. So in a whole, since I started. I lost 10LB.
WOO HOO!!!!!! :spin:

Dee dee dee da da.. dee dee da da.... :D

Rewarding myself "onex bracelet"

Time to lose another 10LB Wish me luck! :dizzy:

257/247/137

MrsJim
04-20-2001, 11:28 AM
...what an eyeopener!

London is a GREAT place - I just wish I had more time to spend there (but that's what happens when you go somewhere on business - priorities...)

I've mentioned the comparison of portion sizes between the US and the rest of the world before, but now I've lived it - even though the food as a rule was much higher in fat and calories, the portions were SIGNIFICANTLY smaller - for instance, their scones were about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of a US scone. Same with the croissants. And I didn't see too many people (other than tourists) eating 'on the run' - i.e. snacking.

Yesterday morning (we flew out at 4:00 pm London time) my boss and I splurged and had a real English breakfast - THAT is their big meal of the day - eggs, pastries, lots of tea, fruit, porridge, etc. After breakfast we walked around Mayfair and did a bit of shopping, saw the Changing of the Guard, and of course hit Harrods'! We were so full from breakfast, we didn't eat again until we were served lunch on the plane!

Even though we walked around a lot (London is quite definitely a 'walking town' - unlike much of California) I'm apprehensive about getting on the scale...but today is a new day - I worked out hard this morning and it's back to calorie counting and drinking all my water like a good girl...

Ilene
04-20-2001, 06:59 PM
Feisty good for you on your weight loss....10 lbs is a great successs!! and you deserve your bracelet...

I'm happy to report I was also down 3 lbs....YESSSSS ....I was carefull all week....and ate less than 1500 cals/day...exercised almost everyday... drank all my water every day also...patting myself on the back here....and guess what girls? I feel GRREAAAATTT!!

Lucky for you to travel to London Mrs. Jim... How was the weather? Foggy?? :lol:.....I've never been overseas, but even in the "Belle Province" of Quebec just 20 mins away from the border here, they serve proportionately smaller portions...(did that make sense?)... when you go to a French restaurant it is much smaller than what we in Ontario serve.... If you've ever been to Montreal or Quebec City, the women are verrrrrryy svelte, and very fashionable, it's fun to sit in a café and just watch people go by...

LisaSue, do you always exercise so hard? Good for you girl...

Anyways I have to go....

Take care and lets all have an OP weekend!!

Lana.....:love:.....

MrsJim
04-20-2001, 10:26 PM
I would definitely want to go back - except next time, I want Jim to come along.

Most of my time in London was spent running a meeting, but I did get some time to get out and see just a few of the sights, as well as make some general observations on the way Londoners eat compared to us Americans:

* While there were street vendors selling sausages, ice cream, etc. in evidence - especially around the parks - they weren't exactly crowded. The few people I noticed that did purchase snacks didn't walk and eat simultaneously - rather, they would find a place to sit down (such as a park bench) and enjoy their snack. When I went to the nearby Starbucks to buy a skinny chai, I couldn't help but notice that, out of the 20 or more customers in the store at the time, I was the only one who took their cup to go - most drank their coffee or tea while leisurely seated in the cafe.

* Even with the Brits' well-known passion for sweets, it was pretty noticable that the serving sizes were smaller. Not that I took a survey, but I didn't see a Super Size candy bar anywhere. The "large-size" eating bars were around the same size as, say, a regular Snickers. At Fortnum & Mason on Piccadilly (you've GOTTA go there!) there were huge candy bars for sale - but definitely meant for sharing or cooking purposes.

* I was struck by how litter-free the streets we walked on were! In America you really become accustomed to seeing trash (frequently fast-food wrappers, Super Big Gulp cups, and so on) littering the sides of our streets and freeways. Despite the very high amount of foot traffic, the streets in Mayfair were almost devoid of garbage!

I am by no means putting down the US - I wouldn't live anywhere else! But...I think we can really learn a few things from other countries, just as they can learn from us...

bootwoman
04-21-2001, 01:03 PM
I am a fellow calorie counter. If it has been in a book, on an infomercial, in a mail brochure, anywhere, I've tried it. But, nothing has ever worked like simply watching my food intake. I really did not think that I ate all that much food, until I sat down with a calore guide. WOW! I may not have had a lot of quantity, but I certainly had the calories.
I began on February 5 with a new way of eating and a new attitude. For the first time in my life, I was finally ready to commit to changing the way I thought about food. Since that day, I have lost 35 pounds. I still have 30 to go, but I have no doubt that I will make it this time and I think that is half the battle! It's really amazing what giving up 4 large cokes a day will do for you. Not only is the weight coming off, but, my hair is healthier, my nails are strong, my skin is clear, and I sleep a whole lot better.
I keep a calorie journal on my computer every day and that really helps to keep me realistic about what my intake is.
Good luck to all of us,
Ramona

jlnah
04-22-2001, 04:21 PM
Weekend greetings!
I can't ever seem to keep up on the weekends. It's the only time I have the car and I take off! It doesn't matter where as long as I'm out of the house!

:) Congratulations Fiesty Filly and Lanaii1 on your weight loss. I bet seeing those numbers disappear off the scale was positively thrilling! I can't "weight" to see my first 10 lb loss. Way to go both of you. :)

Mrs. Jim-- I haven't been to London myself, but my parents took a 10 day trip when my dad was working over there. It was cold and rainy the whole time. My mom is not very athletic and said all the walking just about killed her! There was so much to see and do that they were constantly running. I don't think 10 days was enough to cram in all they did! I hope to do some traveling some day too. Will have to wait for my kids to grow up or win the lottery(which is hard to do when you don't ever play!).

Ramona- I also have 30 lbs to lose, actually 25 now. We can push each other toward that ultimate goal! Good luck to you1

I've done pretty good this weekend. I've managed to keep my days below 1500 calories. Needs to be less, but weekends are sooo hard! Walked 3.5 miles today so feel pretty good. I weigh myself tomorrow so I'm hoping but not expecting any loss. I'll let you know tomorrow!

Laura

Ilene
04-22-2001, 07:17 PM
Food wise, the weekend has not been good at all....but tomorrow is Monday, and back to the routine....
Thank goodness for routines sometimes.....

Thank you Laura for the encouraging words.....I too have about 30 lbs to loose and it's a constant struggle.....darn it all!!

Anyways I will keep this nice and short, and talk to you all tomorrow...

Lana....:love:....

Hockeychic
04-24-2001, 07:06 PM
Hi, I am have decided to give this cal counting thing a try. I have tried just about everything and I can't seem to stick to it. I figured that at least with cal counting I can eat what I want as long as it is not to high in fat or calories. I enjoyed reading all your posts and you all have been very successfull it gives me hope

jlnah
04-24-2001, 09:39 PM
Hey ladies!
I haven't posted in a couple days. I lost another pound yesterday, but then ate all day long so it probably didn't last long! I got a grip today. We ate out for lunch and dinner (I was so lucky today!) but I made very good choices and didn't snack much. I really don't know what my calories were but I feel good about what I ate so it can't be too bad. Yesterday I did about 20 minutes of arm/shoulder exercises and that's it! Today I did a walking routine from Shape magazine. 5 minute warm-up. Speed walk 8 minutes, then do 5 sets of the following, run 2 minutes, walk one. End with an 8 minute speed walk and 5 minute cool down. I also added 20 lunges and 100 crunches. Feel great!

Hi Hockeychic! Try keeping a food journal. It can be a pain but it's sobering to see all that goes into your mouth at the end of the day. It can also help you figure out what time of day you are eating the most or when you need the most help. Good Luck!

Laura

geerp
04-25-2001, 07:35 AM
I have been sticking faithfully to a 1200 calorie a day eating plan. I started counting calories 6 days ago and have not lost a single ounce as of today.Two weeks prior to doing the 1200 calorie plan I tried the atkins diet and managed to stick faithfully to that for 9 days, again did not lose a single pound. Does anybody think that the atkins diet could've messed up my metabolism? Do you think that I should reduce my calories by 100. I am getting very discouraged and dont know what to do. I have started a walking program recently as well.Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jlnah
04-25-2001, 08:48 AM
geerp-Do not go below 1200 calories! It is not safe at all. You may be eating too few calories (how many were you consuming before the diet?) or maybe eating the wrong kinds of calories. Adding exercise to your program is a good idea. Another thing is to drink lots of water if you're not already. Don't despair! Could be you've lost inches but are gaining muscle. This is not an overnight program like the Atkin's Diet. I'm glad you quit that one, you were depriving your body of nutrients it truly needed. It depletes your energy making it hard to exercise. Keep going! It won't be long before you begin noticing a difference. Remember, H2O is the way to go! H2O is the way to go!

Laura

monicat2
04-25-2001, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone, I too have found that counting calories is the only way for me to diet. I must have joined Weight Watchers 1,000 times during the last 25 years and I can never get it to work. About 15 years ago I began counting cals and I was very successful. But lately I've gotten lazy and just put anything I want into my mouth without counting. Well, surprise--I now have 50 lbs to lose again! It has finally sunk in that this can't be a diet you go on and off--it has to be a way of life forever.

I have enjoyed reading your posts and I know someone asked how to count calories on homemade meals. I found a computer program named Master Cook. You input the ingredients for your recipe and how many servings and it gives you a complete calorie nutrient breakdown. It's great! If you can't find it in stores I know that they have a web site in which you can order. The version I got came with recipes from the Cooking Light Magazine.

Another question that was asked was how do I know how many calories I should eat? Well I did a search and came up with a great website: www.wvda.org I input my info and I think it comes close to what my calories should be per day.

Reading your posts has encouraged me to begin once again so here I am with 50 lbs to lose and today is my first day. Good luck to all of you too.

Monica

bootwoman
04-25-2001, 09:27 AM
Something that may help get you get jumpstarted is to follow a quasi-fat flush regimen for three or four days. Eliminate all wheat from your diet. You will have to be very careful because wheat is in so many things. It can cause what is called false fat and make your system sluggish. Eat lots of fresh vegetables like cabbage, spinich, broccolli, squash, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, etc. Eat lots of fresh fruit and very lean red meat(about 4 oz. per day). Fix yourself an omelet for breakfast with 2 eggs, mushrooms, and onion. Include some olive or flaxseed oil every day in your way of eating. I take flaxseed supplements daily and it has done wonders for my skin and nails. Eliminate sugar and drink water, water, water!!!!!!!!(no diet drinks)
This is not something to stay on for life, but for the first few days to a week, it will really jump start things for you. I lost 11 pounds in the week that I did it, and it continues to fall off with just my calorie counting. Don't give up! You can do it to!!!!!!!!
Ramona
ramwoods@cswnet.com if you need to talk

geerp
04-25-2001, 09:34 AM
I am glad that I got off the atkins diet too. I knew It was going against evrything I know. Eating all that fat was making me nausaus, I just knew I could not eat another pork rind YUCK!!!!. I have 15 pounds to lose and was looking for a quick fix. I feel so much less restricted eating what I want just limiting the calories because ultimatly I know thats what works. It's just taking me awhile to budge the numbers on the scale and it is frustrating when I am the same weight everyday. I recently turned 40 and I guess now that I'm older its just harder to lose. I will increase my water intake and try to get my walking in. Weather permitting. Thanks again for the advice.

lorelei1
04-25-2001, 10:02 AM
Mrs Jim-I'm jealous!! I have always wanted to go to London since high school. I really want to go there some day (maybe like someone else mentioned when my son is grown and we get out of debt!!)

Monica-thanks for the website info-I am gonna check it out.

to everyone-have you all checked out Self and Shape magazine? I get a lot of inspiration and useful info in those type of magazines.

I have to admit after losing 27 pounds, on Easter weekend and a bit beyond I gained a few pounds back.
Very depressing but I am back on track now!! I know that if you don't watch and keep track of your intake (or if you have a pig out fest!!) the pounds will creep back!!) I hope to be back to 27 pounds lost again by my next weigh in day (Sunday)

CONGRATS to all the losers!! ;)
It's great to see the wonderful results we are getting!

Lorelei

jlnah
04-25-2001, 01:23 PM
Hey there!
Important information for anyone that's interested. Week one of the Shape Up Community Challenge just started so its not too late to join. Go to iVillage.com and look under the diet and fitness section. I just started and its kind of fun(if you like keeping a journal). The best part is it's FREE! :)
Check it out!
Laura

FeistyFilly
04-25-2001, 08:29 PM
I tell ya, falling out of my program this week tho I have stay in a 1,200 to 1,400 cal range Had one miss hap this week getting up to 1,800 cal. I don't think it hurt me tho. It may make me just maintain the weight I loss and won't lose any this week. My morning walk went out of wack to. I counted at least two days of walking this week and I am not happy about it. Just been busy in places where things shouldn't have happen. Like My monitor tube blew up. just stop working. GRRRRR!! I wasn't sure it was the tube at first until I took it to a repair person today and told me it was, It wasn't worth fixing. So I had to get a new one. GRRRRRR! I really wanted to upgrade my memory to a higher level before I got my DSL modem. GRRRRR. Darn monitor :(
I've been plain fusterated this week.

Oh well hope all of y'all have a good one this week.
Cross my fingers on hopes I maintain the 10lb loss this week. Thinks to all that gave thanks. :)

justaveggie
04-26-2001, 03:17 AM
Has the flaxseed supplements made your nails stronger? Mine are so week and I know that people say to take getatin for them but that never worked for me. I know that since I have been vegan that I should be using the flaxseed oil or something but our commissary does not have any. I know that we are getting a GNC here soon so maybe they will have that there. TIA

bootwoman
04-26-2001, 12:01 PM
It could be a combination of lots of things, but I think the flaxeed oil is wonderful for all around health. It provides the good fats that we need in our diets.
Just go online to Swansons or Barleans to order your supplies. They are much cheaper than chain stores. I take capsules but, you can also use the oils for salad dressings and marinades. Don't try to cook with flaxseed oil however.
I also take borage oil capsules for added good fats and overall health.
Just type in flaxseed oil and enter and you will get all types of good info. Let me know if I can help.
Ramona

caloriecruncher
04-26-2001, 04:17 PM
I'm a calorie counter lol, but I don't understand why some people think it's so hard. Calories are printed on practically everything, and my slick black calculator makes quick work or counting. It's funny some people don't seem to understand if they are counting fat, carbs, or points they are still counting something.

I believe back in the old days their wasn't many calorie books, and stuff and calorie counting got a bad rap. Everybody started counting fat instead and the nation got fatter because people thought calories didn't count. (no disrespect to any program btw) But in the end calories always count. I don't count fat, or carbs. I eat 2000 calories a day, exercise and I've lost about 30 pounds so I'm pleased, actually overjoyed to find out there are some other calorie counters out there. I'm a 33 year old female... glad to meet all of you :)

262/232/160

MrsJim
04-26-2001, 05:57 PM
I use the flaxseed meal for extra fiber - toss a couple of spoonfuls in with my oatmeal, cereal or whatever when I have it on hand.

I haven't tried the oil for my nails - I've given up and just trot down to the salon every couple of weeks for gel fills!

What you said about calories being ALL that count is SO TRUE! I think the current carbo-backlash is mostly due to the 'Snackwells Phenomenon' of the 90's - when we were told that as long as there's no fat in something, you can eat all you want. Remember those Susan Powter infomercials where she said that? The original reasoning for low-fat eating was actually pretty sound - until the food manufacturers started putting out fat-free cookies, ice cream, chips, etc. Dr. Dean Ornish's book "Eat More, Weigh Less" is based on that theory - eat low fat foods, lose weight - BUT he didn't say "eat Entenmann's fat-free coffee cake" - he was/is referring to foods that are NATURALLY low in fat (and CALORIES), such as veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc.

Here I go again - ya gotta read "Fat of the Land" by Michael Fumento - he has an absolutely hilarious chapter on "The Low Fat Myth" that you MUST read!

FeistyFilly
04-26-2001, 06:33 PM
CalorieCruncher: You know it girl. I told my friends I was on a old fashion diet they asked what and I say calorie counting and you should seen there eyes roll to the back of their head. You be surprise what people thinks of calorie counting. I asked why what is their opinion and for some reason some people think calorie counting is vegging out! :eek: What in the world made them think that?

30lb ? Wow, congrats! :)

To anyone else: Today been a great day. I took my morning walk and I believe I will take an evening walk. Tomorrow is my weigh in. Let the drums roll!

257/247/137

caloriecruncher
04-27-2001, 09:47 AM
Thanks FeistyFilly :) I'm down 2 more pounds!!!! This calls for a passionate rant ;)

They do think that don't they! I tell them I'm counting calories and they think I'm starving myself..hehe.. And they think it takes hours or something. Like I have a degree in caloriertology! I've learned so much by doing it this way though. When I developed my weight problem I didn't know much about calories because all "they" were pushing was low fat stuff. I discovered that I don't want lowfat stuff unless it's was naturally lowfat or really just taste better than the fatter version. Sometimes it's hard to get regular stuff anymore. Anybody else notice this? Like yogurt, and cheese. Most of the low fat stuff is just as high in calories as the regular brands just packed with extra sugar instead of fat. The quality of the flavor in my food is very important to me because I love to cook and eat gourmet food. And a lifestyle of pretty much bland fat free/low fat fare wasn't appealing to me.

Plus I'm completely unwilling to try to convince myself that stuff taste almost like the real deal. Although I've food a few exceptions.

I'm not even going to pretend to understand whats healthy or not with all the doctors, nutrition experts and science people and the dietians, oh the government, sugar industry, beef industry..........oh my lol So while everyone is fighting over which diet program is the best, (weight watcher, Jenny craig, etc) what guru is right or wrong (Prit or Atkin) what's healthy low carb/ high protein, or low fat/low calorie, while Americans spend billions of dollars on this book or that ab/bun super cruncher.....I'll just eat regular food, and walk.....if nothing else I've dropped 30 pounds and saved some cash.

I just count'em, throw in some green stuff, and eat what I like and call it a day. I honestly don't know whats healthy and whats not with all this contrasting research results.

MRSJIM I've read that book, my friend loaned it to me...bet u can tell....;)

262/230/160

morrigan
04-27-2001, 10:39 AM
I have been counting calories (with a few lapses) since last August. I use www.dietwatch.com to track all my food and it automatically adds up the calories for me. Better yet, it keeps track of all the factors on the nutrition label so I can see as I go if I am getting enough protien, calcium, fiber, etc....

So far I have lost over 50 lbs with another 20 or so to go. I feel great. I haven't had to pay anyone (other than my ISP to come here for support) and I can eat whatever I want in reason.

I have been posting what I eat on the eating lite thread over on the support page. I am trying to get some renewed willpower going to get rid of these last lbs.

bootwoman
04-27-2001, 11:10 AM
I am so happy to read all the posts from my fellow calorie counters. What could be more simple than adding up a few numbers? And, what an eye opener when you add up the numbers from your old way of eating. I had myself convinced that I didn't eat very much food, and quantity wise I didn't eat that much every day. But just add up a meat and cheese and bean burritto and a side of cheese dip and basket of chips. Oh my gosh! One meal alone had more calories than I needed for the entire day!!!!!!
If I had all the thousands of dollars I've spent on programs, gimicks and pills, I could buy a great new wardrobe for my ever improving figure. Oh, what a little common sense will do! Keep posting and encouraging.....your cohort in counting,
Ramona

FeistyFilly
04-27-2001, 09:26 PM
Lost 3 LB. :spin:
I can't believe it either.
I'm very happy :D
On my way down down down!!!!!!

Have a great weekend everybody!!

257/244/137 :dizzy:

justaveggie
04-29-2001, 02:10 AM
It's been a couple of days since I posted and you all have some pretty inspiring loses on here.
At this point I don't even need to take a real counting of what I am eating, I just know that I can have this much here or this much there. Also I find that some days around 2 in the afternoon when I am thinking of what I am going to make for dinner I realize that I have not eaten enough and have to have a snack like an apple or something because I have not eaten enough.

caloriecruncher
04-29-2001, 09:33 PM
This weekend went well for me, could have walked a bit more this day but oh well :) ... feisty I'm happy to here about your loss ^5 way to go and all that!

I'm looking forward to the upcoming week, I eat so much food and have no problems sticking to my calorie limit the only thing I have to do is wait. It's funny but time is creepin' along like a 100 year old man walking backwards to go foward.... I know just about when I'm going to reach my goal (another good thing about counting calories is that I can predict when I'll reach my mini and complete goal)..so I'm just smiling & chugging along.

See you all tomorrow everybody, keep up the good work!!

jlnah
04-30-2001, 09:35 AM
Hi ladies!
I am in need of a serious lashing! I gained back a pound this week and am miserable! I didn't walk much last week and ate horribly this weekend. Of course, I'm ready to start again but what a disappointment! I quit writing down what I was eating and I just lost control. I know that weight loss isn't filled with successes only. I have to use this set back as a motivator.

weigh-in-150/145/120

Laura

daytona1
04-30-2001, 04:19 PM
Hi fellow calorie counters,

I have been counting calories for the past 7 years. I am also a member of weight watchers, I have learned so much from them. They are a great inspritaion, they teach things like how to eat your favorite foods and still maintain your weight and dealing with holidays and emotional eating. I go to the meetings for ideas and to keep myself motivated. I have lost 85 pounds and kept it off for 7 years now. I don't think I would have been so successful if I wasn't doing both. In fact today the leader was telling us how the points broke down into calories. It is something like 18 points = 1050, 20=1150 or something like that, she also said the average person eats 3761 calories a day!!! No wonder we have such weight problems. I just wanted to share this with all you calorie counters. I too believe no matter what you count, fat grams, points, carbs etc, it all breaks down into calories. For me it is so much easier just to count the calories, they are on every nutrition lable.

Have a great day and happy counting.

Daytona1

LisaSue
04-30-2001, 05:42 PM
Hi Everyone:

Still hanging in there. I didn't lose any weight two weeks ago, but last week, I did lose 2 lbs. How???? have no clue, because I wasn't being as careful as I should have been, and so far, today isn't going very well, eating the "wrong" type of calories, and NOT exercising today.... :nono: BUT, I'm not going beat myself up over one day, even one week.

Laura: I really relate to how you are feeling and I've had to change my own way of thinking BIG TIME! If I didn't lose 3 or 4 lbs. a week, I would get so depressed, but then I had to remind myself that I'm no longer in my teens nor 20's, and I'm losing weight the healthy way, without laxatives, without making myself throw up, it's harder this way, but I'll be healthy this way. I absolutely REFUSE to let a small set back deter me. I know a one pound gain can make one angry and frustrated, but try and accept that it's only one lb., not 10 lbs, or more. Maybe it's close to the TOM, or maybe, you weren't as careful -- tomorrow is another day, dinner is another meal, etc... I actually now accept things and move on, what do they say, "don't sweat the small stuff", and please believe me, I am not saying a one lb. gain is small stuff, because I know it's not and it can get away from you, but in the scheme of things, it can be taken care of and I know you'll do it. I hope I didn't offend you in any way, but you may be giving ME the pep talk in a few days (Firdays are my weigh ins) and I had better get back on the wagon and start exercising again and being more careful in what I'm eating.

Take care and good luck....you CAN do it...I'm sure you will ;)
Lisa

jlnah
05-01-2001, 09:23 AM
Hello all!
I'm going to start a new thread for us. I don't know if you're having the same problem I am, but it takes forever to load up this thread now because we've got so many pages! Good for Us!
I'm going to put it under CALORIE COUNTERS #2. It may take awhile for us to all find it to the new thread so please check both and encourage everyone to find us on the new thread.

Check out the new post under CALORIE COUNTERS #2!

Laura