Support Groups - 21 day challenge #3

View Full Version : 21 day challenge #3

Marti
05-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Well here I am...bringing the 21 day challenge to where I'm usually post!! This was a thread that was posted in the Support Groups Forum.....well....it kind of got lost and many people stopped posting...me included. But I started it again then decided, that I would rather stay in my corner of the board and keep track here. This is pretty much for my own benefit...but if any of you would like to join me....that would be great.

Here is how it works. You choose something that you would like to work on and do it for 21 days. (to make it a habit) Such as drink 80oz. of water, walk a mile, or what ever else may come to mind. You do a count down. But if you miss a day...you start over to day one. And you can start over many times, but if you're constantly starting over.....well then....I would say maybe you should find something else to work on for 21 days.

Simple you say.....believe me,,,,it's not as simple as it sounds...there have been times that I just had to start over.

Anyone want to join me??

suetalks
05-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Day 4 over and done. I walked for an hour today in the neighborhood. It was cool and rainy, but we got finished before the rain hit. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer but still rainy. I am thinking about going in to our beautiful town park to walk one day. Change of scenery.
I am afraid I am not doing as well on the eating as I am on the walking. :(

Sue

RosieKate
05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm right there with you on the eating, Sue. I'm writing it all down, but I'm not enjoying having to look at the list at the end of the day :( I completed Day 6, now onto a better Day 7!
RK

Marti
05-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi ladies--

You girls are doing fantastic!! I'm going to pause my efforts until I start feeling better. I have been drained of all energy!! This head cold has really kicked my butt!!

So when I start feeling better (hopefully in the next couple of days) I will continue.

And that goes for anyone who doesn't feel good. Instead of restarting....pause. Because I think you really can't help being sick....where as just skipping a day because you didn't feel like doing it, then you have to restart.....Make sense?

So for now,,,I will be cheering you on at the side lines!!! Keep up the good work!!!

FrouFrou
05-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Hiya ladies~

You all are doing a great job, keep it up.

I had to start over on Monday and so far so good. This is day three of staying OP and I have the rest of my day planned so will definitely be OP for dinner.

Marti~good idea to *pause* instead of stopping and restarting because you are right. We can't help it when we are sick. Of course for me I can because regardless of being sick or not I still have to stay OP! :) Hope you get to feeling better soon.

suetalks
05-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Day 5 was a good workout. I walked for about 55 minutes and as I got back in the yard I decided my one flower bed looked pretty bad. I spent 30 minutes weeding and moving mulch. That was all bending and lifting. Felt good to be out there since we finally had a really nice day. I was afraid it would turn nasty and rain again this evening, but it hasn't yet.
I told my walking pal that I need to start walking longer or even twice a day. Due to several obligations we decided to put that on hold until Mon. then we will give 2 hours a try. Now if I could just get the eating back on track.

Sue

RosieKate
05-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Day 7 done! I had much better control over my calories yesterday and I got a good workout in - did a video while my DD took a nap. My head is in a better place now that I feel a little more in control.
RK

Scuzin
05-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Hello!
Day 18 here...The end is in sight! I have some ideas for my next challenge too, I think it better be an exercise challenge because I am NOT doing so well recently in that department...also..as a non-weight related challenge I want to go 21 days without being LATE to anything...I always get places 5 minutes late and it drives me nuts.

Marti - hope you feel better! and a "pause" sounds perfectly reasonable!

suetalks
05-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Day 6 and a 55 minute walk again. Beautiful weather finally. We decided to try for an early and a late walk tomorrow. I will love it if we do two a day. The backs of my legs hurt due to the weeding yesterday, but all else is good.

Sue

RosieKate
05-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Day 8 - complete!
Susan - keep it up ! You can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Marti - I think pausing when you're sick is perfectly fine. I know how hard it is to focus on healthy habits when life is throwing you curveballs... and you are doing a great job.
Sue - great job on the walking... having a buddy sure helps
Christi - A big pat on the back for staying OP. I'm remembering to record all my food, but it's making me realize just how off my program I've been. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
RK

suetalks
05-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Day 7 and I walked bright and early for 45 minutes. We are under thunderstorm watches right now, so don't know if it will be cleared off enough to walk again this evening. At least one is done. Started back to the good eating today also...let's hope that ship doesn't sink.

suetalks...

friendsforfitness
05-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi everyone!

I am just checking in to say hello before my weekend. I probably won't check in over the weekend dh and I are celebrating our 2 yr anniv. So it will be us time. We are not going anywhere, just shipping the kids to Moms and going for dinner and maybe a movie. We are trying to save for baby so it's no big getaway or anything.

I think I might start my challenge with the 64 oz of water for my first one. I only have 15 weeks of pregnancy left so that leaves me how many challenges...3 weeks per challenge means 5 challenges with no breaks at all. We'll have to see about that. If doc ok's exercise for me again I will start out very slow like twice a week for 20 mins and work my way up.

Wishing you lot's of luck in your challenges,
Lisa

suetalks
05-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Wow...I did get in a second walk tonight. We didn't get the thunderstorms after all. They went right past us. Now if I can walk twice a day for the rest of the challenge I will be doing great. Eating was OP today also.

Sue

RosieKate
05-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Days 9 & 10 - done! I've been battling a migraine for a few days, so I'm making it short today. I've added water in my nutrition goals on Fitday, so I'm working on getting my 64 oz in everyday.

Happy Mother's Day - and I'll be checking in tomorrow!
RK

Scuzin
05-10-2004, 03:26 AM
21!!!

suetalks
05-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Okay..I have to start over..:(

suetalks

Marti
05-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Ladies--

I'll be back starting tomorrow. I'll start with day one. Doing the same exercise thing.
I was going to just pause due to not feeling well, but with my grandmother passing away, I just flat out didn't do anything. So it definately a start over.

You're all doing great. Sue, don't worry, we'll start over together!

Scuzin--Congratulations on completing all 21 days!!!!

RosieKate
05-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Day 11 - done!
..skin of my teeth - I was really out of it yesterday but managed to get to the computer to get my foods written down. Fortunately,my head is feeling much better today :)

Marti - welcome back! missed you......

Susan- WTG!! You did it! How does it feel to get all the way to 21?

Sue - I definitely know the "oops" feeling.... you'll pick it up again and do great, I know it.

I know I'm forgetting someone - so to everyone - Keep up the great work!
Cheeres
RK

Scuzin
05-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Hello Hello

Marti - very sorry about your grandmother and no worries about starting over...Sue either

Great job RK on day 11...you're over the hump!

My exercise challenge will hopefully be starting soon...but I'm really bogged down with this play...so we'll see

suetalks
05-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Day 1..again.. I walked for 50 minutes in spite of intense heat. Sure did sweat, but felt good after the fact.

Sue

RosieKate
05-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Day 12 - complete! It's a short one today as I am out the door to a workshop - Keep up the great work on your goals, ladies, and I'll check in tomorrow!
RK

Marti
05-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi girls!!

Today I walked for almost and hour. Just around the school but I was trying to pass time.....and then of coarse it starts to drizzle but I kept walking. Up the stairs, down the stairs and around the campus. My legs actually ache!

So day one done agian!!

Day 1

suetalks
05-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Day 2.... Walked for 50 minutes. 19 days to go....LOL

Sue

friendsforfitness
05-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Hello, I just wanted to pop in and let you know I haven't forgotten. I am trying to drink 44oz of water daily. I know it needs to be 64, but I will have to work my way up to that. Yesterday was a success, so today is day two for me.

Marti, I am sorry to hear about your Grandma. You and your family are in my prayers. Good going on that hour walk. I am lucky if I could stand walking for 15 minutes now, I get out of breath so quickly.

Sue hold your head high and just keep plugging away lady!! You'll get there it's not about how many times you don't finish, It's about how many times you don't give up.

CONGRATULATIONS SCUZIN!!! YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD!!

gtg,

Lisa

RosieKate
05-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Day 13 - done!
Lisa - I really liked what you said about not giving up...need to put that on my fridge!
Marti - good job on your walk. I find, being an Oregonian and all;), that a little drizzle is not that big a deal...I don't even bother with an umbrella. I really like to walk outside, so I try to do all my walking outdoors. The only weather that really puts me off is the combination of very wet and windy...then I cry "uncle!"
Sue - keep up the good work. I wish I could get out as long as 50-60 mins every day. Mostof the time I am pushing my 2.5 yr old in a Zoomer, so I usually get 30-45 mins.in before she gets too impatient. Most of the time its 30 mins or we just bag it and I try to do a workout video when she naps.

All this exercise success had me thinking about an exercise challenge when my food diary challenge is over...
have a great day
RK

Scuzin
05-12-2004, 02:48 PM
OK Ladies...I'm off to the gym....Here's to DAY 1!!! I've gained 4 pounds so I really need to get back in action

Congrats to all who are working through it and even those just starting over...Like Lisa said...Don't give up!

suetalks
05-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Day 3 is finished and I got in a 50 minute walk again. I am going to try to ad a few minutes on the treadmill starting tomorrow. My neighbor just can't walk as much as I want to, and I hate walking alone outdoors. I have to do something to shake things up. :)

Sue

friendsforfitness
05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
ok, ok , ok, Yesterday I THINK I did drink all my water. I forgot my water bottle at work when I left for home. It was about half full. When I got home I did drink another glass of water, but to do what is best for me I will start again with day one. That will probably be tomorrow since I am off to a slow start for today.

Lisa

suetalks
05-13-2004, 03:24 PM
I cannot believe I have done the challenge so early today. It has been raining off and on all day, so we took a walk when it stopped. Afraid if we wait until evening it will be pouring. The down side is that it was very hot and humid. Of course the sun came out full blast while we were hoofing it. :cool:

Day 4...50 minute walk. Might do more later if weather permits, but at least I met my challenge.

Sue

RosieKate
05-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Day 14..and just finished recording today, so that's 15, too. I'm on the homestretch. Easy to not overeat today - my throat is sore :(

Marti
05-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Ladies--

So glad you are all still keeping up with this!! I was worried that this may not last. But it really does help doesn't it?

I've walked the last two days. Just forgot to post yesterday!!

Lisa--Why don't you just challenge yourself to just drinking the water...and then later you can give a specific amount. For me, when I was pregnant, it was hard to get any water in...even though I really needed it...and to eat! So just take it slow. Getting in any amount is better than nothing at all.

Sue--You're doing so good!! 50mins a day?! Fantastic!! Keep up the good work. I haven't been timing my walks...just knowing that I'm getting in anything at all is good for me!

RosieKate--Almost at the end!! Seems like the more days you get in the easier it gets!

Scuzin--Is your challenge this time exercise? I'm sure you'll do great! You flew with the last challenge!! Congrats again on that.

This weekend I plan on spending a day doing yard work, and boy will that be a lot of work. My grass has been so neglected that it reaches up to my knees!! (a little exaggerationbut not much!)

You girls keep up the good work!!!

Day 2 & 3

suetalks
05-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Day 5...already got the walk in today, between the raindrops. We walk the same distance every day..same path. We are down to doing it in 45 minutes now. Sooo, I used the jumprope for a few minutes after the walk. That really takes it out of you. Whew!

Sue

Scuzin
05-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Hey Hey

So I've not yet started my next challenge...I thought I was going to be able to but I'm just so swamped right now, so it will be a bit longer till I get a good start on it...Just wanted to stop in and congradulate you all!

RosieKate
05-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Day 16 - done!
Now that I've recorded enough days on Fitday, I'm starting to use the report function to make sure I'm meeting my smaller goals. I'm working on # of calories, water, and fiber. So far I've been falling into the ranges I set for myself. So, even thought my weight isn't moving much, I still feel a sense of success. I figure after this 21 day ch. is up, I go and tweak the goals.
I keep losing track of my days - Next time, I'm starting on the 1st!
RK

friendsforfitness
05-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi all!
Yesterday I did pretty good with my water. I think I will go with your idea MNJ for now just drinking water is better than before. So all in all I am doing well. I am drinking much more water than I had been.

Rosie- funny you should mention fitday, i was just thinking about that on my way into work today. I have an account on there from my pre- preggo days, I think I'll start using it again just to get me thinking more about my food intake. Not only that but I got to thinking that all these healthy minded habits are hard to begin and make become actual habits. If I leave them to the way side for nine months then I have to got through that whole getting in the groove phase of healthy living. If I work on good habits now, by the time baby is here hopefully I will have instilled some really good habits back into my brain!

I'm off to fitday even though it might not look good for today, it's a re start no matter how ya look at it!

Lisa

suetalks
05-16-2004, 12:59 AM
DAY 6..I got my 45 minute walk in again today, but I am not getting any of the extras done that I want. :( Maybe tomorrow.....

Sue

Marti
05-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Got my days 4,5, & 6 done. Walking the first two and yard work all day today!! And boy am I tired!! Plus I don't smell to great! :o

I will try to pop in more often rather than getting my days accumulating......I might lose track that way!

4,5 & 6

suetalks
05-16-2004, 10:45 PM
DAY 7...easy today. The weather was wonderful! This is getting easier and may lead to me doing a longer walk. Had a really nice, half lazy...Sunday.

Sue

friendsforfitness
05-17-2004, 10:06 AM
WOW! I just noticed something really kewl! In my signature my cw was 219.4. I just weighed in this morning and it's 218.2!! Pretty decent!

My water intake was mediocre to say the least for yesterday, the odd part is I was up 5 times to pee last night. Can you say tired today???

I am off to an even better start today though I have downed 31 ounces of water and it's only 10am.

I also began using fitday like I said I would. It's kinda weird putting a higher goal weight. Doc says she only wants me to gain 15 lbs the entire pregnancy so I put that total weight in with my due date as my goal date and it says I will need to gain like 0.852 per week to meet my goal. Of course if I don't quite make my goal I'll be just as happy with that too, so long as baby stays healthy.

We are really struggling for a name. Any suggestions?

I realized over the weekend that once baby is here I still should be able to lose 30 lbs by the end of the year. That will be my goal anyways.

I am off to journal!! Have a fun day everyone!

Lisa

RosieKate
05-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Days 17 and 18 - done!

Marti - isn't yard work great! I've been working alot in the yard, and all the kneeling and squatting has been good for my quads.

Lisa - don't forget about nursing when little bundle o' joy gets here, that's usually good for some quick weight losss, besides all the other great health benefits. Names? well, my son's name is James and my DD's name is Leigh. We like 'em short and sweet :) Our name plan was to start with family names and work from there. James is my father and brother's middle name, Leigh is DH's middle name, but we changed the spelling.
Sue - keep up all that great walking!
Ciao
RK

suetalks
05-17-2004, 12:02 PM
DAY 8 and I walked at 8 a.m. Feels nice to have it done. If the weather stays nice I can walk again this evening. Woo hoo!
Lisa..when is the baby due and do you know the sex? Is this a first? My favorite boys name is still Joseph. (my son) There are so many really neat names and seems it is back to more traditional ones.
RosieKate..Keep up the good work. Yardwork sure can keep your legs in shape.

Scuzin
05-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Hello everyone, Just checking in....still have not been able to start an exercise challenge :(...but will DEFINATELY by the start of next week.
You all are doing great!

friendsforfitness
05-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Rosie- Yes I am planning on breastfeeding. Good for you getting out there and working in the yard. I am not too big a fan of yard work myself. The middle name is after his father it's Authur. Other than that we have no other namesake's we want to use.

Sue- the baby is due August 22nd and it's a boy.

Scuzin- Hang in there girl!

I'm getting kinda excited, my shower is this weekend!

Lisa

Marti
05-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Got some raking in today....big yard, lots to rake! (ugh!)

Lisa--I'm sure you're getting real excited as the due date gets closer! As for boys, I only have my daughter, her name is Jhanai....I don't think you want that for your boy! :) I had a hard time trying to find boy names I liked when I was pregnant....(luckily I had a girl) but on my list I had Jackson, or Thomas (Thomas being the dads name) My sister had the name Zane.....interesting isn't it? Let us know when you do come up with a name!!

Scuzin--take your time, can't rush into a challenge when you're not ready. We'll be here waiting for you.

Sue--You're doing fantastic with all that walking!! Do you listen to music while you walk? Do you own a pedometer? I have an MP3 player and an pedometer...but I don't have headphones for my MP3 players so it's always a a quiet walk.

RosieKate--You are getting so close to the end!! Hurray!!! Keep it up and we'll all do the happy dance when you reach the end!

Off I go....

suetalks
05-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Day 8 revisited...I did get another walk in tonight. I was pooped, but really glad that I did it. You know how you feel crappy when you are doing it, but so stoked when you are finished? :) I hope I can do the same tomorrow.

Sue

RosieKate
05-18-2004, 11:01 AM
19 - Yahoo!
Only two more to go.......
Lisa - congrats on the baby. I found out gender ahead of time via ultrasound for both my kids - it was the right way to do it for us. Boys are great - is this your first boy? I'm glad to see your keeping healthy goals through your preganncy. All I wanted to do was sleep and eat, and now I'm still trying to get off baby pounds from a baby I had 2.5 years ago. Keep up the good work!
Marti - Susan - Sue - have a great day!
RK

suetalks
05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
DAY 9..I walked early again today. It is supposed to rain later, but if not I plan to walk again. I am feeling good about it and it is getting easier to put one foot in front of the other. Now when I start to eat a no-no I just think about the walking and it gives me strength! Surely the pounds will start falling.....

Sue

Marti
05-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Did some squats this morning.....my legs were aching and I thought doing some squats would help loosen them up a bit......what was I thinking?! :lol: Now my legs are still aching, but just a tad bit more than earlier!! (hee-hee)

Gotta keep it up though, it's been raining like crazy here so no walking! (I don't like walking in a down pour, drizzle isn't so bad)

Day 8

suetalks
05-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Poured down here too. I didn't walk after dinner due to storms. I did however spend 2 hours in the afternoon digging up all the plants in a huge flower bed. Then after hubby tilled the soil I re-planted it all, moved some landscaping rocks and cleaned off the porches. My legs already feel the bending and squatting. Plus, I got a little pink from the sun..and sweated a ton. I think it was more work than the walk would have been.

Sue

RosieKate
05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Day 20 - only one more to go! The fitday has really helped me get focused on my eating habits, so I will continue after the 21 days. Maybe next month, I'll focus on an exercise challenge, still thinking about it - might do water...

Good work on the squats, Marti! That and pushups, and maybe lunges, are my least favorite exercises. But, wouldn't you know, they are the most effective! Arms and chest exercises come much easier to me.

Keep up the great walking program, Sue!
RK

suetalks
05-19-2004, 08:20 PM
DAY 10 I walked 45 minutes this morning and 30 this evening. I am rockin'! The bad news is that I still have not seen any weight loss on the scales. The good news is that my legs are getting less jiggly. lol
Marti and RosieKate..way to go gals!
I DO not like any type of floor exercise, but have copied some from Women's Day magazine by Leslie Sansome and I am going to start them. Can't hurt. Three are for upper body and 3 for lower. Just hope they work on the middle 'cause that is where my weight is. :(

Sue

RosieKate
05-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Wahoo! Day 21 - done! :cb:
Thanks for all the support - it really does help to shoot for 21 day straight. I feel much more control over my eating program since I've taken to recording it all. I'll check back in to support the rest of you and next month I'll come up with a new challenge.

Sue - I liked the 8 minutes in the morning weight program. There's a nice variation of activities and not too many on the floor. It's an excellent accompaniment to a walking program. :strong:

Lisa and Marti - Keep up the good work...and have a great day!
RK

suetalks
05-20-2004, 11:46 PM
DAY 11..I did the exercises earlier today when it was too hot to walk outside. This evening I did walk for 45 minutes. It was humid, but felt good!

Sue

Marti
05-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Hello girls......

I keep forgetting to pop in here and post my days!! Shame on me!

Day 9 & 10 went great.....hope to start doing more activities outdoors as the weather gets better!!

9 & 10

Marti
05-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Finished my walking today!!

Only 10 more to go!!

Forgot to Congradulate RosieKate for completing all 21!!!!!! Fantastic!!! :bravo:

Hope everyone else is doing great!! I'm glad that I have you all here to do this with me!! I need something to keep me going!!

Talk to you all tomorrow!

11 down!

Scuzin
05-21-2004, 08:12 PM
WOO HOO for RosieKate!!!!!!!!!!
Good job everyone for stickin' with it...I should be back in action by monday!

suetalks
05-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Day 12...Yep, Got the walking in again today. I couldn't believe how humid it was. 9 days to go and I don't want to falter and start over. (although I am hoping to keep walking all summer) Congrats RosieKate...keep up the good work everyone!

suetalks

Scuzin
05-22-2004, 06:50 PM
DAY 1
I made it to the gym and feel pretty darn good. Good work all! Marti and Sue, you're over 1/2 way there!

Marti
05-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Day 12 finished....I still have to get in some exercise today...I will post that later tonight....just wanted to keep up.

Glad you're back in with us Scuzin!!

Marti
05-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Don't post here,,,, go to Challenge #4!!