Desserts - Phase 1 - Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert Ph. I

View Full Version : Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert Ph. I

Chickpea
05-04-2004, 04:41 AM
I might have taken this from 3FC or another SBD site, but want to share it because it is SO good! First time I ever cooked rhubarb. I used to love strawberry - rhubard pies, and this reminds me of those. Instead of the 5 dessert cups, I just use one small rectangular glass container.

Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert

Cut 1 lb. cleaned fresh rhubarb into 1/2" thick slices. Place in large saucepan. Add 1/2 cup Splenda and 1 cup water; mix lightly. Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring often, then boil until rhubarb is mushy. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 pkg. (4-serving size) sugar-free strawberry jello until completely dissolved. Pour into 5 dessert cups and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Top with 1 Tbsp. of lite whipped topping.

This note was added, and I hope is accurate: Rhubarb is a vegetable and unlimited on Ph. 1. I checked it for glycemic index, and it is supposed to be very low. I cut off the leaves & dispose.

For four servings, this is 35 calories edited by Ruthxxx

Ruthxxx
05-06-2004, 05:06 PM
The leaves are toxic so I'm glad you ditched them!

You can "stew" rhubarb by baking it in a covered casserole at 350 for about 1/2 hour or until soft.

Linky
08-18-2004, 09:14 PM
I made this last night. My advice is if you're not a fan of Nutrasweet, don't add the Splenda. The jelly, I think, will make it sweet enough and this was a bit strong for me. Otherwise, the rhubarb taste is lovely and it's a nice change from cheese!