Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 AM   #1  
Meg

Thumbs up LWL #151 -- Week of April 26 - May 1

Good morning, all you ladies and gents who lift! Can you believe that it will be May by the end of the week? Spring MUST be here and summer's not far behind.

It's a brand new week so it's a clean slate for all of us. I'm going to take a few minutes and think about the kind of week I want to have, now that I'm back in the gym. I think I need to get back to basics. So I'm going to print out one of the old sheets I used to put in my binder where I logged in all my food, all my cardio, and every detail of all my workouts. Kind of Diet and Fitness 101 but I almost feel like I need to start from scratch again after being out of the gym for a few weeks. I don't think it ever hurts to go back and review the fundamentals.

I've had some awesome workouts over the past few days. The first time for each body part left me much sorer than usual, but by the second workout, my strength on most exercises is right back where it was before the surgery. My little lay-off gave me a chance to read about some new exercises and look at some of the little video clips on some exercise sites and it's fun to try new things. Of course, then there's discovering that you were doing old things all wrong ... like bent over BB rows.

OK, let's hear from EVERYBODY this morning!

Tell us if things are going great.

Let us help you if you're struggling.

If you've completely fallen and can't get up, we've got a lot of hands to help get you back on your feet.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:03 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Good Mornin' All

It's rainy day Monday here but I"m determined to make the best of it no matter what!

Good idea of getting back to basics Meg... I'm up 2# this Monday compared to last week and it's ALL my fault... I sabotaged myself all week... Why? I guess I don't like to look good!! or PMS...I dunno But I've got a new resolve this week ..

I'm not working today , back later...

P.S.: I too had withdrawals...
Old 04-26-2004, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Yeah, I'm also with Meg and Ilene. It's time for a do-over, make sure that we are exercising correctly, lifting with the proper form and eating smart.

I am glad to report that I had clean eats all weekend (even at a Cajun restaurant) and I also ran 3 miles Saturday, hit bis and tris yesterday and was back at the gym this AM for back, abs and a 30 minute cardio session.

I tried on clothes (bought a few things too) this weekend and was a mixture of pleased and displeased with my body. Pleased that the top half looks so small, displeased that the bottom half needs so much work. I am disproportionate now, but am hopeful that continuing working out and eating right will get me more normal looking. One good thing - all the leg work, running, squats, etc. have been working those glute muscles so now I look like I actually have some "junk in my trunk" Yippee!

I also bought more protein powder and some glucosomine. All my joints are starting to ache and it's interfering with my running.

More later.

Love y'all!

Tiki (currently riding an endorphin high)
Old 04-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #4  

I'm back ... and extremely glad to be here! I thought the inaugural week would be the most difficult; turns out that it was the week *after* that really posed challenges. I hadn't realized how drained I'd be, or how tired. (And we all know what that does to us, don't we ) I took a long weekend after the event, but it wasn't enough to shore up that ol' energy. Consequently, I made some difficult eating choices. However, on the other hand, I had a new insight from none other than Mrs.Jim, who said,

~~"Ilene's right - 80% of losing fat is DIET, lowering your food intake. Exercise (not just weights but cardio as well!) will help you burn the fat and more importantly maintain the lost weight - but NUTRITION is what does it. Unfortunately, I see way too many people at the gym who have been regulars there for years...and have not lost any discernable weight - most likely because they haven't been diligent on getting their food intake and quality under control.

~~"I'm in that same boat. The exercise part is easy for me. I LOVE being at the gym early every single morning - it's a VITAL part of my day. It's the food I still struggle with - hundreds of little decisions each day - every time I make a decision to have oatmeal for breakfast instead of toast, or to pass up dipping into a co-worker's candy basket while passing by - I think of those as POSITIVE decisions made for the sake of my overall health.

~~"As our Meg has said - it's the Holy Trinity of all of us here at the Ladies who Lift forum: Clean nutrition. Cardio. Weight training."~~

I know; I know. This is not new. The sentence that absolutely leapt out me is this one: It's the food I still struggle with - hundreds of little decisions each day - every time I make a decision to have oatmeal for breakfast instead of toast, or to pass up dipping into a co-worker's candy basket while passing by - I think of those as POSITIVE decisions made for the sake of my overall health.

You see, my calorie count isn't bad most days; and by the time I crank in a bunch of exercise, it's downright good. But within that count, I'm not always making the best decisions. Oatmeal instead of toast is a great example. Or, for me, a smoothie instead of ice cream (however low fat, sugar-free) ... these are the things I need to focus on now.

But it's a great time of year for such focusing. Summer fruits and veggies are coming in. The grill is set up outside. Exercise is so much easier in the daylight.

So, let's go get 'em.

Oh boy, it's great to be back.

Oh golly, I almost forgot: did any of you catch the new Oprah magazine? In her opening letter, she says: When I'm out of shape, I'm not in balance.

Now, does that sum it up, or what? I think I'm going to add that to my sig line. Because when I'm out of balance -- mental, physical, spiritual -- I'm a disaster, and what I've come to discover for myself (after many many ... many ... years, is that physical wholeness is my foundation.) Just wanted to share that little gem.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:09 AM   #5  

Hey Tiki,

We're on at the same time. Good to see you, and congrats on a good clean weekend.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:48 AM   #6  

Hey Robin,

Glad to see you on and poppin! Quick story to share!

While I was shopping Sat. I had to get some protein and glucosamine. I went to Vitamin World and was looking over the different choices. The lady that worked there informed me about the great sale on the various fat burners and then asked what I needed and I told her. She asked why did i want to take protein, and did I lift more than just lite weights. I looked at her CONFIDENTLY (i had just finished successfully trying on a size 8 skirt) and said, yes I do lift weights and I do lift heavy! Yeah, the girl is back!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #7  

Tiki,

Now, let me see if I have this right. You were successfully trying on a Size 8 skirt, and you're concerned about a bottom half that "needs so much work." You must be doing something right woman; If I could fit into a Size 8 anything below my waist ('cept for shoes), I'd be

Good job! And good job on your reply the salesclerk. I've been pushing myself in the gym, and I'm very eager to see what happens. I'm lifting heavier weights than I ever have (at least I think I am; but I can't remember what I was lifting 20 years ago ). It wipes me out, but I keep going back for more.

Can anyone tell that I'm editing board minutes, and that I absolutely hate to do it. I've just got to focus.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 AM   #8  

Come on Indy Robin, we've had this discussion before, how one clothing company will label a skirt a particular size even though it really is something much larger, just so consumers won't feel that they have gained a bunch of weight. I am a solid 10 in slacks and most skirts and although it was cool to be able to fit into something labled an 8, I can't get caught up in the lie. My tummy, hips and upper thighs are still too big.

I don't feel like working today either. I am just counting down til I can go home and go to bed (after football practice, of course). I gotta get back use to that 4AM workout.

Tiki
Old 04-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default We're having a heat wave...

NOT a tropical one though. Just a heat wave - but I love it! (can't say the same for our kitties however... )

Meg - what an excellent idea! It's always a good idea to get back to basics for awhile. I really need to do the same thing. Lately I've found that I haven't been eating enough protein and too many carbs. Even though they're mostly GOOD carbs, still not enough protein. I was STARVING this morning when I worked out - not typical for this gal!

Robin - I'm totally flattered that you're quoting me! I don't usually buy the Oprah magazine but I must say she looks fabulous on the cover this month... I hear ya on editing the minutes - I take minutes for a weekly meeting now and arrggh, figuring out what is important and what is just yak yak stuff ain't always easy - but I'm improving every week

Tiki - You sound like you're on a positive high! Wonderful!!!

This weekend it was WAY too nice to chill in the house (our place is pretty warm right now...Jim's got all the fans set up to keep the kitties cool) so of course I spent most of Saturday and a few hours on Sunday at the stables. I've been having some really great rides lately!

ah well, back to the ol' Monday grind!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #10  

OK Tiki, point well taken. I hadn't thought about it like that You're right of course.

Say, does anyone want a tub of Grow PP? I ordered it, and I don't like it. In fact, I've had a run of bad luck lately; the only one I really like is Myoplex lite, but I'd like to find a straight PP, not a meal replacement.

In any event, if you want this Grow, shoot me a PM.

OK, back to those minutes.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:19 PM   #11  

augh!
I posted yesterday but got an error message and couldnt get 3fc up at all after taht

Ive been swamped lately, and MIA again, I know. Between school labs/lectures/tests and field trips ive hardly been near the computer. Add to that the death of a close family member and needing to plan an emergency trip home AND Ive just had a fever for 3 days YEESH! Luckily once in canada I have a gym punch card and a nordictrac in the basement My big planned purchase? Chocolate MRP from GNC considering it used to be "as much cheese whiz as i can carry" im quite happy with myself heh

well, back to the popsicles. hopefully ill have kicked this by the time I leave monday. havent had much chance to read the other threads but congrats to karen on her new size 4 wardrobe

Tidey
Old 04-26-2004, 11:21 PM   #12  
For my HEALTH...

Smile

I agree JACK. I missed 3FC on the weekend too! --Pookie
Old 04-27-2004, 09:04 AM   #13  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, ladies and gents, for encouraging me at the gymn just now. I’m now writing to you on an endorphin high!

The last two days have been hard work. Just before my period I get very, very tired. All I want to do is lie down or sleep. And these last few days have been very busy, with little time to do that at all. So I’ve eaten quite a lot, in a vain attempt to keep going. I think I’m back on course now. I know the thing about me and sleep (that I need a lot, that it should be unbroken, that it’s vital, that I don’t cope at all well without enough). I think I’m on to it with my three day cycle of concentrating on sleep, digestion, posture. Often I can body-swerve over-busy times but this time I couldn’t. Horrible. But, once again, let me reiterate, I think I’m back on course now. Those demons, you know, they’re everywhere. Everywhere.

Airegrrl – good to see you again. It’s you I have to thank for leading me to this forum from the Skinny Daily Post. Thanks very much indeed – I do like it here.

Earlier, you said: ‘Within that [calorie] count I’m not always making the best decisions.’ No, and nor am I. I’m going to look at things and tweak where I can. (Wasn’t there a Skinny Daily Post about this recently? Yes, here’s the link: http://www.skinnydaily.com/ It was on the 5th April 2004.) My ideas are to substitute cottage cheese for one of my small pieces of cheese (mid-morning or mid-afternoon with apple), and to substitute one of the apples with a carrot.

Tiki – I gather you think your ‘tummy, hips and upper thighs are still too big’. Actually that’s me you’re describing, isn’t it? I am so very out of proportion. It’s a misery. We’ve just got to eat clean, eat clean. Then it will melt away. Then we shall become svelte and even more gorgeous. I can see the future. This will come to pass.

Meg – back to basics. Indeed. Always good to refocus. That’s what this forum does for me, day in, day out.

Must go. No, hang on a minute ….

Dip and Ilene – you can’t pull the wool over my eyes any more with your P&V. I know what it means now! I’d been working on it, just myself, for some time. ‘V’ had to mean ‘verve’, I’d decided. ‘P’ was trickier: pounce? power? prettiness? Then I read the whole thing on another web-site. Puzzle solved. I expect there’ll be another one along before too long! I love this forum.

Silverbirch.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:48 AM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Silver -- Just a quicky reply to your post only because I must dash off to the gym... Are you sure you know what P&V is? Is all I can say! It's just too cute the differencce of thinking from here (Canada) the States and overseas! I love it, this site, this forum! What was the other site? If I may ask....

Later all it's almost 11 and I havent' been to they gym yet BUT I have cleaned out the food cupboard! OMG it needed it badly...

Later!
Old 04-27-2004, 10:50 AM   #15  
WW Moderator

Hello Ladies! Can somebody here suggest a good butt exercise? Tiki, now that you have junk in your trunk, maybe you can help! I'm doing BFL (2.5 weeks in, doing very well!) and there are no exercises for that area. Not specifically, anyway. I might be getting some kind of work with another type, but if I am, I don't feel it. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Oh yeah - I still just have dumbbells. My nephew is going to let me use his bench that is in storage, but we've not been able to get a mutual time to meet at the storage unit. So anything basic would be great!
Closed Thread