Support Groups - Pregnant and Staying Fit #47

View Full Version : Pregnant and Staying Fit #47

Scully
04-06-2001, 01:31 PM
Hello again! Happy Friday to all! I hope that Sara is feeling better from that strep! OUCH!
Jen, congrats on your bloodwork! I'm sure that it is a relief to have it behind you.

As for me, I made an appointment for the Level 2 ultrasound and they made it for 18 weeks instead of 20. I am debating on whether or not I want to go ahead and see the genetic counsellor prior to the ultrasound. I mean, I AM ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE, LOL! I swear technology is a beautiful thing, but they make pregnancy something to fear more than to enjoy.

My appointment is for April 27th. I am looking forward to having that done, and I am hoping to take my boys with me to see.

Well, I just got off of the phone with DH and he wants to hear the genetic counsellors POV, and be educated...sigh. I guess he has a point, but I told him that I would not have an amnio anyway. Since it is his child too, I told him that I was fine with it if it something that is important to him. Men get
such little input in this whole thing, don't they? Too bad he wont let me use my baby girl name (Gabriela). Oh well, there are other wonderful names that we can still fight over. LOL Just kidding. My DH is the greatest person that I have ever known and we really love each other dearly.

Well girls, have a great weekend! Enjoy the warmer weather, if you can!

Scully and Bellybean

Jen
04-06-2001, 10:20 PM
You are right Scully that sometimes all this testing makes the whole thing rather scary. I was so anxious waiting for that bloodwork and estatic that it was negative. The thing with this issue, is that if the tests come up positive for some abnormality then what? It is just to prepare for the worst when the baby is born or are people willing to terminate the pregnancy? All that time I was waiting for the results I was almost sorry that I had the bloodwork at all because if it was positive it would mean making some really tough decisions. Do I carry on with further testing, and then what if that is positive? I almost think it is better not to know. I don't know, it is such a difficult issue. I pray that none of us have to face it and we all have beautiful healthy happy babies.

Does anyone else watch The Baby Story on TLC? I watched a neat one today where the mother gave birth in a tub of water. The baby came out purple and didn't start crying for a few seconds. It was a bit scary for those few seconds, I'm yelling at the tv, start crying, start crying!! I always end up crying at the end when the baby is born.

Take care all. See you later.

SaraB
04-10-2001, 11:25 AM
Hello friends!
I am feeling much better now! The morning sickness still comes and goes but thankfully I am fully recovered from the strep, with no worries about the baby.

I am rather exhausted from being sick for so long -- I think it's really taken it's toll on my body. I am trying hard to get rest and not over-do. I haven't done much exercise lately and am anxious to get back into that.

Anyone have special plans for Easter? I just love this time of year. I hope the weather is nice.

Blessings,
Sara

bensmom
04-12-2001, 04:15 PM
Hello, to all! This is the first chance I have had in a few days to catch up. We are having work done to fix our flooding basement and I am now packing for a trip. We are just going away for a few days. One last trip before I have to start packing baby stuff too.

I was glad to read that everyone is doing okay. My little girl seems to be very active today. But yesterday she was rather quiet. I guess babies are just like us, more energy some days than others.

Be well, everyone. have a happy and blessed holiday.

Jen
04-17-2001, 01:28 PM
wow, it has been really quiet in here lately. I guess everyone is busy with the warmer weather finally showing up. for me I have just been wiped out lately. I just have the energy to do the basics and otherwise I am just trying to rest and take it easy.

Supposed to go for an ultrasound tomorrow but they have changed the appt. I am kind of disappointed, I really wanted to see the baby but I guess it will have to wait a bit. I'm still waiting for them to phone back with a new date.

I ended up working all weekend and I have this week off, I really need the rest too.

Hope everyone is doing well. Take care.

Jen
04-21-2001, 11:24 AM
Hallooooooooo in here! It is so quiet it is echoing!!!

Sara, Scully, Bensmom....where are you?????

Hope everyone is okay and feeling good.

bensmom
04-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Spring recess can really tire me out. We went away for a few days (one last trip before baby with only my DS and DH). Then, I had to catch up on all of the laundry that accumulates. And yesterday we did a day trip with the cub scouts. Now I have a horrible head cold that has exhausted me. I can't wait for Monday when school starts again.

I see that things have been very quiet here. I hope everyone is okay and just enjoying the Spring.

geneve
04-22-2001, 04:40 PM
Hi, i haven't been here for ages, stopped worrying about my weight when I found out I was pregnant 5 months ago!
I wondered if you would mind my joining you...to be honest i've been so morning sick I'm only a few pounds heavier than when I started, but I'm dreading getting on the scales once the baby arrives at the beginning of August and I'm fighting the urge to get the energy i seem to be lacking with chocolate!
I'm 35 (for a month more anyway), and this will be my second child, I have a 3.5 year old son. I had severe post natal depression when he was born and went from 'I wish I could lose a few pounds' to 'OH MY GOD!!' during the first few years after he was born. I lost about 14lbs here but that still leaves me with maybe 55 or so to go...
I'm longing for things to be different this time, terrified of the depression coming back, and more weight going on. I could do with some motivated people to help keep me on track, for now and after.
I'm trying to swim twice a week, which helps, and to eat plenty of fruit and veggies but this time round I really crave those sweeties! With my son i was drinking vinegar so i'm hoping this means it's a girl, although I'm not too bothered either way.
What else can I tell you...I live in England,by the sea I'm a painter and a reflexologist, one husband, one son, one cat, one rabbit.
Would love to hear from you and hope I can fit in here.
Good luck to you all with the babies,
shei :)

Scully
04-22-2001, 09:09 PM
Hi Jen, I'm here--Hi Sara and Bens Mom!!! How is everyone?

Welcome Geneve! :)

Congrats on your pregnancy, and also being another senior member here! LOL I am also 35, and will be 35 when I deliver my 3rd and grand finale! There is another wonderful website you might want to try if you like to post more often. Try this link http://www.thelaboroflove.com/

Try not to focus on your weight right now as mucha s continuing with healthy eating habits, and trying to exercise to keep your current fitness level. Water exercise is wonderful! I am currently doing Kathy Smith Pregnancy aerobics, Yoga Mama, and walking as well as water aerobics (but i haven't been in the pool for a while now) I miss it though! I know that it is easy to say that you should not focus on your weight too much, when prior to this, everyone here tended to focus on a weight program. I didn't have morning sickness like some of you girls here (Sara B was/ is one who had it real bad too! And she was losing a lot of weight!!!) We just have to try to remember that the goal of losing weight is postponed, but the goal of good eating habits remains as a lifetime goal! :) We cannot live without it, as In my opinion, I think that if someone is overweight, that there are some who do eat well and consistantly exercise, but are heavier than "normal". There are some of us who are better nutritional eaters, who are overweight, but considered healthier than many "thin" people. Now I believe that it is to our benefit to be as close to "normal" weight as possible. Take me for example, I have always struggled with my weight and I believe that I will never be able to maintain a weight of say 130 - 140 pounds. I am 5'4" and i consider myself to be medium to large structured. I have a lot of muscle compared to many women my size. If you could see my calves, you'd know what I mean! My goal is more toward a range of 145-150. It is still considered "high" according to my BMI, but I am also aware of the fact that I have never really maintained a low weight for very long. I was once 121, when in my 20's and I struggled with bulemia and anorexia as a result of it. It was short lived, thankfully. So I have since learned to accept my body for all of it's wonderful and many positive qualities. No, I am not ever going to be model thin, but who cares? And now that I am pregnant, I am relishing my belly growing. I refuse to let society dictate to me, what is expected at a time in my life when I am supposed to be overjoyed about my growing body! And I am going to brag, YES BRAG about loving to be gaining "some" weight. I jsut need to try to remained focused on exercising and good eating habits, so that once the baby is born, my habits will really be quite similar and I won't have as hard of a time as adjusting. Plus, I plan on returning to weight watchers, as I will be breastfeeding and that will give me some points to work with.

As for postnatal depression, see how things are going after the baby is born. Perhaps this pregnancy will be different from your last. If it should get really bad again, antidepressants work really well, and you and your doctor could talk about them in the shortterm.

Remember to take care of yourself, and be gentle with how you speak to yourself in your mind. We are not purposefully trying to gain weight, but our body needs to nurture the growing baby inside. There is a difference.

My only updates to my life are as follows:
*My son Liam turned 7 on April 20th, and we had a SPLENDED day/weekend!

*My son Lucas is going to be in his first Spring Concert (He is learning to play the French Horn) I am so delighted! Neither DH or myself played music, so we are living vicariously through him! The school he is at really has some wonderful opportunities!

*Liam is currently in T-ball, and plays on the Cubs! WE won our first game of the season! Who hoo!

*I am currently in my 17th week of pregnancy and LOVING every single minute~!

*I go in for my ultrasuond on Friday (LEVEL 2) and we hope to find out the sex!

I guess that's it for now. Trying to prepare myself for the upcoming week. I've been running around like mad, trying to get ready for Liam's party and I have been exhausted. I can't seem to get to bed before midnight many nights! So, hopefully this week will be less hectic and I will not be running around as much!

I hope that everyone is happy and healthy and is loving this warm, rainy Spring weather! I know I am! My pregnancy seems to be really flying by now, and I am in love with my family so much! We are truly blessed indeed!

blessings to you all,
Scully and Bellybean

geneve
04-23-2001, 06:16 AM
Hi Scully, thanks for getting back to me, also Jen, Bensmum and Sara..is that everyone...I have a bad case of pregnant brain shrinking and struggle to remember my own name some days!
I'm off for my third scan on Monday and I too want to find out the sex of the baby. We knew with my son and it made things so much easier, also helped me to bond I think...I could somehow 'see' him better knowing the sex!
For once the sun is shining here...we had the most awful winter, storms and floods and it really is novel to be able to get out. Also first day of term which means Ted is out for the morning and I can get on with some painting. It's very hard trying to explain the differences between oil paint and kids paint to a three year old so I don't work when he is around!
As for the post natal depression coming back, well, i know I am quite likely to get it again according to the stats, but at least this time I will be prepared...the fear of it is making me very careful to eat a high vitamin, healthy diet (as much as I can bear to) my husband reckons I'll give birth to a large fruit salad! I also have a lovely shrink who helped sort me out last time...in spite of what they say the pills aren't the be all and end all for PND sufferers, it took me years to get better.So keep the vitamins going in ladies...and make sure you take extra good care of yourselves once the baby is born...it's an amazing thing we are doing, and hard work so get in training for it while you can!
I'm trying to find a maternity yoga class near here, but it's difficult...most of the population is over 70!!!
It's odd I'm so different second time round, made sure I've had a fantastic holiday, going out with my friends and making sure I have plenty of happy memories to keep me occupied while I try to get the nipper to sleep at 3 in the morning!
Scully..well done for letting your son play the French Horn. DH plays the cornet/trumpet and I'm so jealous but his mother says he drove her mad for years learning it! It's great at Christmas...I'm supposed to be learning the piano (very shallow learning curve there) and managed a few carols with him...made me feel very traditional.
Anyway, here I am nattering on again when I have work to do so I'll finish for now and be back later.
Anyone have any good baby names? We are struggling to agree on anything!!!DH likes old fashioned very English names (Stanley/Edith are his faves) and I just want something which sounds loving even when you yell it!
Shei

Scully
04-23-2001, 12:19 PM
Quick note to Sara B...
Pop in over at the Countdown to 175, as they miss you and are looking for an update!

Best Wishes on your ultrasound! Mine is Friday and I am so psyched! Let us know how it goes, okay? Are you going to try to find out the sex? We are...

Everyone, hope you are having a fabulous day! I have to get off of this computer and do my pregnancy aerobic tape now! Get outside and walk if you can! IT"S GORGEOUS!!!

hugs,
Scully and Bellybean

bensmom
04-23-2001, 05:22 PM
Welcome, Geneve! It is great to have a new mom join us. I, too, was very concerned about the weight gain during this pregnancy. But my DH made me promise not to agonize over it. He insisted that since I was able to lose 80 pounds last year that I will be able to lose any amount I choose to again. I know he was concerned about the amount of chemicals that are in the food I eat (non-fat yogurt, WW food, etc). As Scully said, healthy eating habits are key, not the number of calories or grams of fat. But I also like an occasional treat, too.

BTW, I guess I am also a "senior member" here. I will be 36 on the 24th of this month.

Baseball season is upon us. I am now at the ball field twice a week for games and at a park at least once a week for practice. But my son loves the sport so I don't mind at all. Last week I froze watching him play and now tomorrow I will be wearing shorts to his game.

I have a horrible head cold that has moved into my chest. I am hoping it will go away in a couple of days. The first day I thought it was Spring allergies since everything is growing. But this is definitely a cold. I tried to exercise this morning but it just exhausted me. So, I will try again tomorrow.

Be well, everyone. Enjoy the Spring days!

geneve
04-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Bensmon...80lbs! WOW! :)That's so amazing...gives me hope for the future. Pleased the sun is out in NY...we were there at the end of February and the snow was something else.
We had sunshine today, spent the afternoon on the beach...Ted went to bed all sandy and happy! Just how I like to see him. What a good day..........

Jen
04-24-2001, 06:14 PM
Geneve, what a beautiful name! I suggested it to my hubby as a baby girl's name but he veto'd it. I think he wants something simple.

I too am concerned about weight gain during pregnancy. I know I am not eating as much veggies and fruit as I should but I am trying and also I am taking vitamin supplements. I have gained 7 lbs so far and this is now my 21st week. I'm hoping not to gain more than another 10 lbs but if I do I do. I'd rather have a good sized healthy baby than worry about weight gain.

Speaking about names I have a penpal in England named Helen. I like that name, it is simple and old fashioned but still sweet. Needless to say the hubby doesn't like any of my suggestions, so far for girl's names we are kind of going with Michelle right now. For a boy's name we have already picked out Drake Arthur.

I have a dr's appt tomorrow and my ultrasound is Thurs. I'm hoping they can tell the sex as I'd like to get this name thing sorted out. If it is a boy we are all set, if not we have to keep looking.

I wish I had the motivation that you have to exercise Scully! I was doing well for the first few weeks then pooped out for a couple of weeks, then did another week of biking. I think that was a month or so ago and I haven't been back since. There are a lot of reasons. I'd say fatigue is the biggest problem, also I have so much to do at home. I am trying to finish up some renovations that have been going on forever and not getting much help from the hubby. I think to myself, okay I"ll do this and this and then I'll hop on the bike. Well this and this don't get done because they end up being jobs I can't finish on my own or I just don't have the energy to tackle them, then I never get to the bike. Oh well....

Scully, I have a question for you. You watch the X-files? I don't watch the show myself but I see so many commercials that sometimes I think I know what is going on. Can someone tell me how Mulder was dead and now he's not? I'm so confused!

Well I hope everyone is doing okay. It is nice to see some posts again. Take care all.

Scully
04-25-2001, 10:59 AM
Hello everyone! :) Happy Wednesday! Today is Sara B's ultrasound! Sara, where are you? You are MIA at both boards!! We miss you! :)

Geneve: I tend to like ethnic names. I am Spanish and Irish, my DH is German, Swedish and Irish. He likes traditional American girl names, for example, "Jane". I like some traditional names but I'm not into the "popular" names either. It's tough to decide. Our sons are Lucas and Liam which is Spanish and Irish. Neither name is very trendy, although Liam is becoming more popular in my area, (after he was born). I like Gabriela and Gabrielle for a girl, but DH doesn't. I have a feeling that it is going to be harder to agree on an name this time.

Jen: As for the exercise motivation. You have to eat breakfast and then make it a priority to exercise about an hour afterwards. Try to do it first, before your other obligations of the day. It is tough when you feel like there is so much to do, and knowing that you may be fatigued later in the day. Try to exercise on a snack, like a granola bar and a glass of milk. The protein and carbohydrates will keep your blood sugar stabilized until lunch. Exercise, then "stuff" to follow. If I do it any other way, I won't exercise. Remember that it is a goal to exercise for enjoyment and not competition. You are striving to keep your "present" level of fitness. This way, when you exercise, you are really doing it with much less exertion than you would be when you are trying to burn body fat. Right now, you are trying to keep your heart fit and your muscles strong!
I highly recommend Kathy Smith's Pregnancy aerobics. You can buy is through Amazon.com for really cheap. It's a thorough workout, gentle but challenging at the same time, and also fun to do.
OF COURSE I WATCH THE X-Files, silly! ;)
Mulder was dead and actually buried in the grave for 3 months. He was infected with an alien virus that was supposed to mutate him into an alien. They discovered this when another guy that was dead, suddenly was found "drowned" in the ocean, and was "living". THey took him to the hospital and he was supposed to die, except, he transformed into a fully recovered "new self", but he was actually a breed of alien that was supposed to take over the earth. Okay, so they dig up Mulder and discover that he is actually "still alive". They had to figure out that it had to do with a virus and kill the virus before it mutated him. Which they did. LOL
So, he's on the road to recovery. BTW, The character "Scully" is pregnant on the show, which I find completely amusing and totally cool. ( I mean, I identified with her character enough to make it my own screen name. I really like the character's personality.) I don't look anything like Gillian Andersen though. I have black hair, fair skin, and green eyes.
Good luck at your Dr's appointment! Let us know how it goes!

Have a great day everyone!

Scully and Bellybean

geneve
04-25-2001, 03:24 PM
Hi all, Jen, i just had to laugh about the name 'Geneve'...I wish it were my real name. Just before I joined here we had been staying in Geneva Switzerland and I loved the way they say it. Had I been pregnant at the time I expect I'd have tried to persuade DH. We went to Eleuthera in the Bahamas a few months back and I would be very tempted to have it at least for a middle name if it's a girl. It means 'freedom' apparently.
My real name is Sheila (aaarrrggghh). I have always HATED it, it doesn't suit me at all and hardly anyone uses it. One reason I'm so keen to choose a good name for the baby. My son is called Edward, but known as Ted, which really suits him. He thinks we should call the next one Ted too (well, George Forman called all his children George, I think..even the girls!), or Tinsel if it's a girl! Mind you, he insists on calling me Murty!
My fave girls name is Josephine, it's my mothers and my older sisters and I would choose it again but three in one family is too many. I was thinking Leo for a boy... could get really seasonal and go for Leo Augustus! DH suggested Cornelius today!!!
On the exercise front I went swimming today and even more thrilling, cleaned the oven so am feeling virtuous. Yesterday went shopping with my mother which is a real marathon. Normally my feet would ache but last night it was my butt! I assume it's due to the change in centre of gravity, but I was sat in the bath most of the evening!
Hope you are all doing well. BensMon I still want to hear how you lost 80lbs. I do love those inspirational stories!
Happy belly swellings,:)
Shei

SaraB
04-26-2001, 04:30 AM
Hello, pg friends! I've just returned from a week and a half long trip to visit my Mom with the kids.

Well, had the ultrasound today. Good news is baby is doing great and growing right on schedule. Bad news --she couldn't tell if it's a boy or a girl! She thought it looked like a boy, but said the sex organs weren't developed enough yet, could go either way. The doctor is going to let me take another peek with ultrasound at my next visit to see if we can tell then (what a nice doctor!). I'm glad the baby is healthy but am pretty disappointed not to know!

The other thing was that I gained quite a bit of weight again. This puts me at only 7 lbs gained total, since I lost so much in the beginning, but seeing those numbers is hard to deal with. I know I need to be eating better and exercising more. Want to work on that!

Sheila, welcome to the group!

Sara
EDD 9/08

bensmom
04-26-2001, 08:18 AM
Hello, to all! Isn't Spring wonderful? I just wish my cold would go away so I could enjoy it a bit more. The cold moved into my chest for a day, but is now just in my head. So I decided it didn't require a trip to the doctor. I took a bit of OTC medication and ate a lot of vegies and fruit and low sodium soups (I don't like the taste of salt these days).

Scully - I agree with you on the exercise. Once my DS goes to school I go to workout at Curves. It really gets my day going. I had skipped a number of days because of my cold (I couldn't breath to begin with). But I went back yesterday and it felt great. I did take it a bit slower than I had been though. I know in a few days I will be back to where I was. And now with the nice weather, I go for a walk after that.

Sara - I hope you had a good visit. Don't be too disappointed about the ultrasound. As we all know, children, including babies, have a mind of their own and do not always cooperate with us (I guess I could include some adults in that statement, too). Have you had any dreams about the baby yet? I have heard from friends that they had very vivid dreams about the sex of their babies before they officialy found out. Hang in there. Like you said, the best part of the u/s is knowing that everything is okay.

Sheila - I like your choices of names. I think they have to suit you and your DH. We tend to stay with biblical names. I like the strength in them. My son is Benjamin and I think this baby will be Rebecca (not positive of the spelling yet). I joined WW in June of 1999 and I weighed in 80 pounds lighter on my one year anniversary on the program. I found the points program to be very adaptable for me and my family. Over the years I had tried a lot of things. This was something that I could stick with because it was real. I did stop going to meetings last Summer because I couldn't stand the people there anymore (it turned into a weekly gripe session). I should have researched other meeting times and places because there are a lot in this area.

Jen - I hope your appt went well. Let us know about the u/s too.

Have a great day, everyone!

Jen
04-26-2001, 10:32 PM
Hi all. Nice to hear that everyone is doing so well.

My dr. appt. went fine. The baby is doing great, is about the right size etc etc. The ultrasound was today and they never really say one way or the other is everything is okay but she didn't look like anything was wrong or asked any funny questions. She showed us a nice view of the baby, pretty good picture. It was very exciting to see the heart beating and watch his little arms and legs moving. I say 'he' though we don't know for sure. We didn't ask although I did want to know and at the last minute changed my mind. I don't think it is fair that I know because the DH doesn't want to know. I don't think I could keep it to myself for very long. However we both now think it is a boy. the tech was showing us different views and we thought we saw something to make us think it is a boy. She didn't ask if we wanted to know so I didn't ask if she could tell.

Scully - I asked another friend about this whole X-File thing and she explained it pretty much the same as you. I presume that he isn't on the show all the time as they still seem to have the other guy too. Is Agent Scully pregnant by an alien or what? Didn't they already have her pregnant once?

Geneve - I think Sheila is a nice name, does anyone really like their own names? I often wish my name was Victoria. But I wouldn't want to be called Vicky.

Sara - I wanted to know the gender but then I didn't want to know. That sounds a bit confusing doesn't it? I guess I finally decided that as long as it is healthy that is enough for me. I started thinking about all the things that could be wrong and finding out the gender just didn't seem important after all. I guess I am sort of nervous this being my first that something is going to go wrong but knock on wood everything seems okay so far.

Take care all.

Dreamer
04-29-2001, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone. I haven't posted here for ages, but thought I'd best let you know that I had a baby GIRL on Easter Sunday 15 April (her due date!)

Her name is Charlotte Sylvia and she was 7 pounds 9 ounces, just under 20" long. Fairly short (5-6 hours) natural labour. She is doing well, though we are still trying to teach her when is day and night (she doesn't care, but we need her to work it out LOL).

I'm pretty much recovered and breastfeeding is coming together though my boobs are still very sore. I knew breastfeeding wasn't just some real easy thing, but I wasn't prepared for how hard it can be. I had been told though that if you can do it for 2 weeks, you'll get it, and I think we are :)

Anyways, I'll be back in a few days to check in and have a read on how you are all doing. I hope all are well. And believe me, that moment when you see your baby - it's a shock and then bang! what a rush :)

Sam
Charlotte 04/15/01

Scully
04-29-2001, 07:35 AM
Congrats on your angel baby Charlotte, Dreamer! Glad to hear that you are recovering and adjusting to new motherhood! Tell us what she looks like! And give her a biiiiiig huuuuug and smooch from all of the "cyber moms"!

I wanted to let everyone know that my ultrasound went great! There were 4 chambers in the heart and 5 fingers and toes on each hand, and most definitely a penis! Yes, Bellybean is most definately a boy! I was shocked at first, as I have been pining for a girl for so long. But to see that he is healthy and normal, showing no markers for downs syndrome by level 2 ultrasound, I am taking this as a blessing!

I believe that God sent me this child for a reason, he was meant to be here with our family. If it were meant to be a girl, then it would have been. I am so richly blessed with the children that I already have and they are boys.

Well, this place sure is slow, but I know I am busy and it is hard to post a lot. I like getting the messages that there is a reply by e-mail, so I don't waste time! I hope that everyone is happy and healthy and is having a great weekend.

It is 6:30 am and I am waiting for a friend to go for a 2-3 mile walk this morning. Actually, I would have rather stayed in bed for a while, but I can always nap later. It's always better for me to exercise early and get it out of the way. So, I am sitting here eating my Cinnacrunch Raisin Bran and waking up. Does any one else here wake up really hungry? I figured it best to eat something before I go and walk.

Anyway, take care all!
Bellyrubs,
Scully and Bellybean

geneve
04-29-2001, 05:07 PM
Hello Dreamer and congratulations on your little girl! Well done for persevering with the breast feeding too!
Scully...I know how you feel, I always wanted a girl but as you know when they arrive all of a sudden they are people and you love them for themsleves, not their sex.
I have a scan tomorrow and will be asking again...I think it's another boy, and I guess I'll be resigned to years of cricket, soccer and rugby...still probably more me than barbie anyway!
Best to you all,
Geneve

SaraB
04-29-2001, 06:02 PM
Congrats, Dreamer! We are all sooo happy for you! When you have time (I know how those first weeks can be) write and tell us all about what she looks like and how things are going.

Scully, another boy, wow! It's great that you are being so postive about it, even though you were hoping for a girl. I have mixed feelings about what I want this one to be. In a way I want a boy since we already have two girls, but in another way I'd rather just have another girl -- it somehow seems easier to have all the same sex! Same clothes, same toys, same activities, etc. My husband really wants another girl for this reason.

And good for you for getting out there and walking. I'm the same way about breakfast -- I HAVE to eat when I get up. I also have to eat fairly frequently or I get light-headed and shakey. I always get this way when I am pg. Lately low-fat cheese with wheat thins or triscuits has been my big snack food. DH finally went to Costco (like Sams in case anyone doesn't have them in their area) and bought me the big jumbo boxes of crackers! He also picked up a jumbo bottle of Tums, which I've worked my way through much of! :)

I spent most of the day yesterday working on the yard. It felt great to get there, but man am I sore today! We still have much to do, too.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Sara

bensmom
04-30-2001, 08:01 AM
Congratulations, Dreamer! What a wonderful Easter gift. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Scully - Congrats on your news, too! Since my first was such a surprise from the beginning, we did not want to find out the sex before the birth. But, since we planned this baby from day one, we decided to find out (plus we thought it would be easier on our DS since he has been the only child for nine years). The day the dr's office called and said it is definitely a girl, I went in to a small panic attack. I don't know what to do with a little girl. My experiences are with boys, little league, bugs, cub scouts, etc. I think I was truly hoping for a boy to make things easier. But then a friend reminded me that all children, even children of the same sex, are very different. That is what makes life interesting. And as you said, they are all a blessing from God. God gives us these wonderful gifts for a reason. I know we are all very thankful for these gifts and will do wonderful things with and for them.

Sara - My family, too spent much of the weekend working in the yard. It is a beautiful time of the year. I have a magnolia tree that is 50 years old. It was gorgeous this week. And all of the other trees are blossoming too. My house is over 60 years old so all of the trees are very mature.

Have a great day everyone.

Jen
04-30-2001, 11:47 AM
Dreamer - CONGRATS!!! Charlotte is a beautiful name for a beautiful baby. Keep up the great work with the breastfeeding. I don't know from personal experience but what I have heard is that it is both something that baby and mom have to learn together how to do right. Hang in there, you are doing fantastic!

Scully - if I have a girl instead of a boy I'll trade you! :) Just kidding!! I know at the beginning I was really hot to have a boy but now I will be happy as long as the baby is healthy. We think it is a boy but we won't know for sure until it is born.

I have to eat fairly soon after I get up, usually I am ravenous within an hour or so. Not today though. I can feel a bit of hunger but I had a pretty bad weekend. I had food poisoning on Saturday and spent the whole day throwing up. I couldn't keep anything down at all and after awhile even gave up trying to drink water or gingerale. Yesterday was better but I was still pretty quesy but managed to eat a bit. Today I feel a bit stronger but still a little weak so I'll probably take it easy. I'm feeling a bit hungry so I'm going to try some oatmeal and see if that stays down okay.

Take care all. See you soon. Jen

geneve
04-30-2001, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone,
Had my final scan today and no chance of seeing if it's a boy or girl. I also found out that contrary to the information I had been given the fact that my son had chicken pox a few weeks ago MAY have repercussions for the pregnancy. I'm feeling pretty down about it. I was told that after 3 months there was no need to worry, so I didn't even mention it to the midwife. I now have to go for some more blood tests to check my immunity. Puts all my boy/girl worries into context.
Sorry to be so glum this evening but I figure you will understand how I feel...you have to be pregnant to realise the bond that existes even before the baby is born.
Anyway, tomorrow is another day.
Best wished to you all,
Geneve

Jen
05-01-2001, 09:49 AM
geneve - I hope everything works out okay with this chicken pox thing. My DH had someone at work who had it and he asked me if it would be a problem for me just in case he picked up the virus although we have both had it. According to my information since I already had it there was no problem. I would be very interested in whatever information you find out.

My tummy is basically back to normal though I am treating it tenderly until I am sure.

How is everyone doing with their weight? So far I have gained only 8lbs so I am pretty happy about that as long as my dr says the baby is okay. If she says I need to gain more weight than I will. I'm pretty sure I'll be putting some more weight on but I am happy with 8 lbs in 5 months. I still have another 10 lbs to go before I reach my all time highest non pregnant weight so I think overall I am really happy about everything. At least I feel that I'm not going to gain a lot of weight with pregnancy which was a big concern of mine from the beginning.

I need to start exercising again though. I feel really achy and sore all the time and that isn't good. Now that the weather is nice I'm going to try to get back out for my walks.

Take care all. Hope everyone is well.

geneve
05-02-2001, 04:34 AM
Jen, I'm up 4lbs in 5months...and I'm not at all bothered. I believe the larger you are to start with the less you should gain. i put my details into a pregnancy gain calculator on the babay centre web site and it said I should gain 15lbs in all. I know when I had Ted it all went on in the last few months when the baby is really growing. I think that at 5 months the baby is around 1.5lbs and the rest of the weight gain is fluid placenta etc.
Feeling a little calmer about the chicken pox thing. I need to have a blood test to establish if I have chicken pox antibodies, but apparently even if I had contracted the pox the baby would have only a 2% chance of damage, of which the most common is limb deformities, followed by eye/sight problems followed by brain damage. With no outward signs of the illness the chances are reduced further. I spent a sleepless night over it, but really, what is there I can do now? If I have the tests and they say there is a problem, well we'll just have to see how bad things are. I truly believe that having a healthy child is a blessing, but perfection is not all. I have 2 friends who have children with Downs Syndrome, and although it is hard work the children are lovely....and I also have friends who have supposedly perfect kids who are real little brats!
More than that I FEEL OK, the baby is kicking like mad and to me all seems well so besed on the info I have I am going to assume all is OK.
Off to try and do something with my hair! It's mad enough normally but since I've been pregnant it's impossible!!I've got a big night out tonight and would like to look reasonable but my preganacy wardrobe doesn't have much in the way of WOW! Black stretchy trousers or black stretchy skirt topped with baggy top and my boobs are so big now I look like I'm having triplets!!!;)
Best to you all,
shei

stephnms
05-03-2001, 01:41 PM
Seems like forever since I've posted here but I know all of you understand with work, Doctor visits, etc...:)

First off...

Sam~~ Congrats on your new little angel!! :D Charlotte is a beautiful name! I've picked out Shelby Grace if this is a girl but hubby and I have yet to decide on a boy name. (A sign maybe??) :)

Geneve~~ My prayers will be with you that everything is okay with the baby. I developed the flu when I was almost three months pregnant and I was terrifed to take anything, even if the Doctor said it was okay. And just last week I had a wicked stomach virus for three days that nearly did me in and my Doctor had to prescribe some pills for me to take which worried me to death. So I understand how worried you must be. Keep us updated!

Hello to everyone else I missed!! :wave:

I went Monday and had my sugar test but haven't found out the results yet. I hope everything is okay because when I was pregnant with my son Matthew I was borderline diabetic. I'm fixing to start going every two weeks now which has really brought home to me how very close this is. YIKES!!

I'm at work so I better go! Good luck and God Bless to you all!

EDD: August 5th

Jen
05-07-2001, 01:32 PM
Hi all. Just wanted to let everyone know that I probably won't be posting for awhile. To be honest things are just too stressed around here. I am angry and depressed and upset by so many things. I don't want to come here and complain and whine even though I know most of you don't mind. I just don't feel positive about my life and I don't want to bring others down. It does help to come here and talk about it but I'm to the point where it is more difficult than it is helpful. Hopefully when things are better I will be back to my old self. Take care all. Be well.

geneve
05-08-2001, 01:11 PM
Jen,
Just wanted to say if you need someone to let off steam at I'm your woman...3 years post partum depression and I consider myself an expert!!! E-mail sheirobinson@hotmail.com of you need to.
As for everything else well, we have seen the sun!:) Fantastic weekend, beach party for some friends who are moving to Seattle and got to see loads of folks we haven't seen in ages...one of whom is moving to Malaysia for 2 years and asked if I would look after their gorgeous motorbike...I have a passion for bikes but put it on hold when Ted came along so am thrilled!
Today spent half the day on the gorgeous South Downs, open again following the foot and mouth scare (we didn't get any cases here but they shut off most of the countryside walks anyway), long grass with wild flowers, birds singing, looking down to the blue sea in the distance...then afternoon on the beach followed by dinner in the garden.
I LOVE THE SUMMER!!!! :) ;D Baby happy too and kicking like a mule. Not checking the weight following massive Thai meal the other day....anyone know any GOOD low fat veggie/chicken curry recipies I'd be oh so glad!

Jen
05-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Geneve, thanks so much for your support. Things are still about the same. Had a big fight with the DH Thursday night which didn't help, he is the biggest part of the problem. I heard someone say this the other day, there are no problems only solutions, or something like that and it got me to thinking that I am wallowing in my problems rather than looking for solutions. Normally I am a very upbeat positive person but there was just so much piled up on me that I felt overwhelmed. I don't feel like my normal self being able to handle these problems.

Physically I am okay other than I had a fainting spell the other day. I didn't actually faint but I was only a few seconds away from it. I sat down and took a lot of deep breaths. I let my dr know right away but she isn't too worried about it, I guess it is common with pregnant women.

Anyway I will try to get back to you gals again soon. Hopefully I can find my way out of this depression. Take care.

geneve
05-14-2001, 06:42 AM
Hi everyone,
Jen, don't buy the 'no problems' thing, it's just a way of trying to make you feel worse. Fact is, when things are bad you have a right to feel bad, and no matter who or what causes the arguements a pregnant woman deserves to be indulged and cared for, not shouted at. You are, after all, about to give your DH his stake in the future of the human race, something he couldn't do by himslef.and then doubtless you'll do most of the looking after too. It's hardly asking too much to be treated carefully for a few months. You are also a walking hormone bomb, so he should be careful!!
After I had my son, I developed a very low sense of self esteem,not only did I look fatter, older and more tired, my status in the world seemed to have dropped away. Invisible behind the pram I would slink about hoping no one had noticed...and you know, some people like me batter that way. Not this time! If I come out of this 50lbs heavier with stretch maks up to my ears I'm going to hang on to my self respect. if I never become or stay slim, I'll still be smart,still be human, and still have a right to my place anywhere I want to be on the planet.
Bottom line Jen, it's a good thing to be nice to everyone, but start with yourself. If your husband is a big enough man to make the baby, he should be adult enough to appreciate the woman carrying it. If not, I know lots of nice single men!:)
Rest of the news from here...baby kicking like mad, hot and sunny, and I went to see my best pal from school at the weekend (more than 200 miles each way, big drive for the UK), and after all these years we still get on just the same...whats more, my son loves her two children. We went out and about in the Peak District and it was SOOO beautiful, moors and hills and little streams everywhere...not to mention the best cuury I've eaten for ages. Now back to normal life feeling relaxed and happy! Hooray!
Best wishes to you all.
Geneve

bensmom
05-14-2001, 07:35 AM
It seems like ages since I got to read the posts here. The weather has been great so I would rather be outside than sitting at the computer. We have had a few very warm, almost hot days. And I was a bit uncomfortable. I am glad I will not be pregnant all Summer.

Jen - I was glad to see you are still posting. You have every right to want to be pampered, especially now. I have blown up at my DH (a little more lately, third trimester hormones I guess) and I know he wanted to yell back. But he knew better. Focus on you and the baby. That is what is important now.

Be well and happy, everyone!

Jen
05-14-2001, 01:51 PM
Thanks for everyone's support, it means a lot to me that you all know what I am going through and care enough to post.

The hubby and I are getting on better now. We have had some good talks in the past few days and I think we are finally on the same page. Also I had a good talk with another nurse at work who went through something similar when she had her first.

A lot of the problem has got to do with the way that I have always been. I was raised to be super independent and self sufficient. this is the way my hubby met me and has gotten used to the way that I am over the past 14 years. Now all of a sudden I turn into this needy emotional person. To him it is probably like I am a totally different person. I am not excusing his behaviour, I am just saying that it has taken him some time to get used to and understand.

Another part of the problem is that I have not really had anyone to talk to in a really long time. I haven't had any real friends in years. I got really wrapped up in myself and my husband and all my friends from when I was in high school just sort of fell by the way and now I am finding that I am needing some friends. Of course everyone here is fantastic and so supportive but let's face it, it isn't the same as a real live human being. Today I reached out to my oldest friend from when I was about 7 years old, she lives about 30 minutes away but I haven't seen her or talked to her in years. I didn't get a chance to talk to her as she was at work but I'm going to call back tonight and maybe I'll go see her soon. I feel better just for talking to her husband. It is funny how we need other people. I always prided myself on being a 'loner' but now I am realizing that I need other people too and if my husband can't always be there then I had better find myself some other people who can.

Take care all and thanks again for all your support and help.

bensmom
05-18-2001, 07:25 AM
Hello, to all the moms-to-be. I hope everyone is feeling well.

The reality hit me the other day (along with those wonderful third trimester hormones) that my baby is coming soon. So that sent me into a minor panic attack. I go to the doctor every two weeks now. Everything was fine this week at my appt. The doctor made me laugh, though. He asked if my DH and I decided on what form of BC to use after the baby is born. I just laughed thinking that is one of the furthest things on my mind right now. But it does make sense to think about it ahead of time. So I said we would discuss it and let him know at my next appt.

This is the first day we have seen rain in the NE in over a month. It is a welcome sight to me. Hopefully it will bring down the pollen count. The doctor did tell me that I could take two sudafed and two tylenol at the same time for my allergies. I had taken the sudafed and tylenol at separate times. I did not know you could take them together.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

Jen
05-19-2001, 07:45 PM
Hi all. Everything is a lot better. We have worked towards a solution for our financial problems which were one of the biggest problems. I feel better about the situation and we will be able to pay our bills while I am on maternity leave.

Geneve - I don't remember exactly how that little 'no problems' quote went. I don't believe that there is such a thing as having no problems but I think that it motivated me to stop wallowing in my problems and start working towards finding a solution. I was so upset about everything I just got depressed and wasn't thinking like usual. Normally I am an upbeat person and it takes a lot to bring me down.

Thanks to all for your support and good wishes.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend and taking care of themselves. See you later.

geneve
05-20-2001, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone, looks like all is looking up.
I'm soo tired..my birthday week is just over and I know I have done far too much, and not much sleep for the past 3 nights...still good practice for the big event!
Managed a very long walk on Friday which would have exhausted me pre pregnancy and am paying the price with a few pulled muscles,but no regrets.
Another week of tests ahead, I'll shortly have no blood left...I have the blood sugar thing coming up, i should have gone last week but it involves drinking Lucozade (glucose drink) firstthing in the morning on an empty stomach which I simply can't do. Even looking at the bottle makes me feel queasy...only way I might be able to down it is with a large vodka, which might upset the test results a little!!
Weighed myslef, have now put on about 8lbs. Think I'm going to be gaining faster now though, my bump is growing very quickly, I noticed after the walk on friday it was sticking right out and felt like a rock!
Well, must dash, my boy is out of the bath and waiting for a story...
Geneve

Jen
05-20-2001, 03:07 PM
Hi Geneve. Myself I'm scared to get on a scale! The last time I saw I had gained about 13 lbs, I thought for 23 weeks that wasn't too bad but I didn't really want to gain more than about 20 lbs so I think I am going to shoot over that goal. Oh well as long as the baby is healthy. I'm glad to hear that you have lots of energy. I managed to get a few hours in the garden this morning but I am really, really tired now. I know I overdid it for sure. I wanted to get it done though before bending over like that is just a memory! Take care all.