South Beach Diet - Question about mayo and yogurt....

ChrissyB
04-21-2004, 10:07 PM
I finally took the plunge and I'm doing South Beach. My mom is doing this with me and we have a few questions.

I am really enjoying the fact that I am able to eat fruit even if it's a limited list...my favorites are on the list anyway. But, my confushion is with the mayo and yogurt. What brand or type of mayo is best. In the book I have it encourages Dairy-free , soy based, eggless Mayo but.....what in the world is that? I came to South Beach right off of Atkins. I am use to using Helmans full fat mayo but I like light and fat free so I'm flexible. I would like to use what the book recommends but I need to know what brand they are refering too.

Also, why aren't we allowed to have fruit flavored yogurt? I see in the book that I have that light fat-free artificially sweetend is limited but the PLAIN yogurt in not....WHY? The only difference I see in the numbers is the fruit flavored yogurts have four more carbs per 8oz. serving. I would really just like to have the vanilla flavor but my mom likes the fruit flavors.

Thanks so much for clearing things up for me. I need to add that the book that Im refering to is The South Beach Diet Good Fats Good Carbs Guide. My mom has the big book...we share :)

Blessings to all,

ChrissyB

Ruthxxx
04-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi ChrissyB. It's nice to see you again.

Yoghurt ....mmmmmmm. I must confess I use the fruit ones. I think Dr A's problem with it is the fructose in it. Lac Tose in the milk part is OK but not Fruc Tose. That Tose family has quite a few deviants! :lol:

Chose whichever mayo has the lowest sat and trans fat level. Ignore the carbs. Miracle Whip is loaded with sugar so I avoid that but the Hellmans or homemade are fine.

It's nice that your Mum is doing the plan too.

chick_on_the_beach
04-23-2004, 06:07 PM
I think the yogurt restrictions are about getting rid of your sweet cravings by eliminating all fruit. I use the fruit flavoured yogurts because the vanilla flavoured is actually higher in carbohydrates but I have completed phase one anyway. I also have the odd scoop of low fat icecream for desert because it is lower in fat and carbohydrate than ricotta cheese (and much cheaper).