Support Groups - Over 50 And Getting Healthy # 14

View Full Version : Over 50 And Getting Healthy # 14

willow_1
04-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Hello Friends.We were getting filled up on our last thread so I thought I better start a new one.

Welcome to all newcomers. We're glad to have you.
You don't have to be over 50 either. We just started out saying that and have kept it as our thread header.

We're here to get and receive support in our weight loss efforts as well as other areas of our lives.

EVERYONE WELCOME!

willow_1
04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Woke up a lot last night, and took my CPAP mask off early this morning and watched TV from bed and kept falling asleep so I didn't get up until after 8 AM.
Shouldn't sleep without the mask.

Had sausage and eggs and a slice of cheese for breakfast.

Went to the pool and did some walking and some theraband exercises after the hot tub.

Had some fish and tartar sauce and veggies with some swiss cheese melted on them for supper.
Had a few bites of fresh fruit for dessert.

Feel pretty good. ....

SunnyD57
04-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Sheila had an emergency appendectomy on Tuesday night. She's home now and resting. She asked me to say she'd be back on the board when she's feeling better.

Sheila's DH

Hi Gals!
This was at the end of the last thread, so
I thought I would post it for Sheila.

SunnyD

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

SunnyD57
04-21-2004, 09:21 PM
http://www.tonitags.co.uk/images/hello16.gif
Good Evening Gals ~

I think my last post was on Saturday: we had a wonderful time that evening at the birthday party for my friend & her daughter! Everyone was in such a great mood because we had allot of sunshine... makes a huge difference in everyone's moods.
Sunday: We went to church and when we got home we went out into the yard to putts around in the garden for a bit; then we rented a movie "Runaway Jury" --- good movie - I recommend it! We had dinner and off we went to the Fashion Bug to go pick up all the clothes I picked out on Sat. I didn't buy them on Saturday because the manager told me that there was a special night (Sunday from 6-9pm) I could come to and get it all for 50% off!! So she held all my clothes for me till Sunday night, so nice of her. We usually do not shop on Sunday's but made an exception this time. So we went there to pick up the clothes and then we went to Annie's (Joe's sister - she invited us over that morning at church). We stayed till 9:00 and when we got home I fed the cats and went to bed! I was exhausted!
We both were!
Monday: I had so much to get done... I did my workouts - an hour on the T-mill and 35min with the Sculpting bands and then I spent most of the day switching out our closets from winter to summer (finally!). Still haven't finished... it takes time because I go through it all and weed out what I don't where anymore for the Good Will. This year I had to take the time to try everything on, so I knew what to keep. Then I had to iron all of Joe's shirts that were in the ironing (yes, I still iron - still not done). Then I washed floors and scrubbed bathrooms... sound like fun,
NOT!
Tuesday: I got in my workout 1hour and 10min on T-Mill, but got to feeling very tired... so I spent most of the day catching up on some reading. Well, till my eyes began to bother me again! I have been fighting allergies in my eyes - and it's been pretty bad this year. Not as bad now but still bothering me.
Today: I only did 1/2hour on the T-Mill and was going to Curves, but didn't feel well - my eyes again. So I went shopping to get my sister's birthday gifts instead this morning and then spent the afternoon making a couple cards for her and wrapping everything. Then had to clean out all my fishbowls and get dinner made... pork loins on the grill that were marinated (in olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh ginger & red wine - yum) and served with Brown Rice & Steamed veggies.

Now to catch up with all these posts :lol:

*~*~*

SunnyD57
04-21-2004, 09:36 PM
D Sheila'sH, Thank-you for posting for SHEILA -
and letting us know she is okay!

Just want you to know, Sheila, that you are in my
thoughts and prayers!!!

Well, guess now you know what has been wrong! :o !!!!
I hope that you will be well and back on your feet in no time flat!
{{{Huge Hugs}}}

*~*~*

I will finish posting tomorrow, okay Gals...
I am very tired tonight!

*God Bless*
SunnyD

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Angel-lover
04-21-2004, 10:46 PM
http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/w/sun6.gifHope you're back in the pink, soon, Sheila!! Take care of yourself.

Hi Willow....Hope you're feeling well. You made me hungry with your meal items tonight. I haven't eaten much, today. I've gained 3 lbs according to my Remicade Dr, though, so I don't need to eat. Gotta lose it. I have to start taking my Methotrexate on Thursday nights by injections. I've been able to shoot it from the needle into orange juice & drink it. But, it's got to where it doesn't want to go down, or stay down...so, I get to give myself a shot! Never done it before, but, first time for everything, I guess. I've had a rough time trying to come back "to life"...but, getting there. She did get it in the first try, though. That makes 3 times in a row! SO proud of herself. :lol:

Hello Sunny....sounds like you stay pretty busy! Congratulations on the weight you're losing!

Hi to everyone else....Fatpuss...did you go far enough back to see the post of the new Avatars I found for you? This was just in case you wanted a change. Up to you.

Talk to you all later. http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/w/gfield2.gif

Bluet
04-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Oh Shiela,

So sorry to hear about your appendectomy. Hope you are feeling better now. When you are feeling better you will have to tell us what happened. Rest a lot and get your strength back. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Bluet

Fatpuss
04-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Sheila's DH, thanks for telling us about her appendix op - poor thing! My DD was telling me the other day about an appendix op she assisted on for a lady of 72 and I said I didn't think they happened once you were past your 20s but DD said it's less common when you are older but they still grumble and occasionally burst (which I suspect may have happened to you, you poor little thing). Hope you are on the mend now, Sheila, must have been really nasty for you. Hope you are directing operations from the comfort of your settee with a big pointy stick!
SunnyD you have been busy! I haven't seen Runaway Jury but I read the book which was really good. How fantastic was that getting 50% off your new stuff and the manager giving you the wink over the forthcoming sale. Hope your eye problem is a bit better, I remember last year you had lots of trouble with them.
Bluet, how's the reading coming along? If you like historical novels based on fact I recommened The Other Bolyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It's about the time when King Henry V111 (our beheading-crazy one) was tiring of Anne Bolyn's younger sister (by whom he had a couple of children) once he clapped eyes on Anne. I think you would like it. During a discussion about calves in the UK and how we export them to France etc because veal is not eaten much in the UK (we animal lovers usually don't mind eating anything which is killed by someone else for us but get a bit hypocritical and sentimental over baby calves) I told my DD about calves being born all year and not during a season. He was well impressed until I told him I only recently knew via you. Ha ha.
Angel - I really feel for you with those injections. How is it going? I heard on our tv news yesterday about a new way of giving injections which is soon to be on the market which involves a little air explosion to the skin which allows the medication to penetrate the skin. Bit like sandblasting a wall it sounded like. The doctors said it would benefit those people who need regular injections like diabetics. Don't worry about the 3lb, it's nothing and maybe because you are not hungry and perhaps cutting down on your food your body is holding on to what it gets. As to the Atvars, do you mean the little cat icons? I am sure i said I liked them but preferred the one you did for me which is the falling down one I have now. (You know I am a dumbo at IT so if it's not the cats, you will need to explain in very very simple terms that even I can grasp ha ha).
Willow - thanks for the link to the new thread - I always have problems finding the new one. Sounds like you had a good day, rising at 8 (you are normally up with the lark, arn't you?), swimming exercise and hot tub band stretch. Your foods always sound good and I especially like that one with the fish, tartre sauce and swiss cheese over vegetables, could just go for that now.
I have been back on track for two days now and for the first time since before Xmas have actually lost a couple of pounds just by laying off the sweets, cakes and rubbish.
I managed to book our holiday this morning for May. DH and I are going to Spain for 10 nights and although we have been about 5 times before, we tended to go to a beach resort with little buckets and spades when the kids were little and wanted to build sand castles. This time we are just we two and although the hotel is on the beach we will travel inland to the famous cities like Cadiz, Alhambra, Seville, Granada and Cordoba. We visited Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid before the kids were born and the history and architecture of Spain is beautiful - it was always at war with the Moors and Arabs of North Africa during the centuries before the late 1500s and as each side took turns to be the victor, so the top of great churches got lopped off or were
modified to add Muslim minarets and visa versa when Catholic Spain re-gained them. I really like that part of history with King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella and not fogetting some chap called Christopher Columbus who was financed by them to go on his little voyages. But, just to curb my enthusiasm and bring me back to earth this morning, my washing machine decided to pack up. The only date I can make it for the repair man is a week today so my washing is now dripping on the line outside 3 hours after hanging it out. At least our grandmothers had the old fashioned mangles to squeeze the water out!
Everyone keep well, especially poor Sheila who will be so frustrated once over the worst that she can't romp about with the dogs for a bit or tend to the plants in the car port.

Jacquie
04-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Sheila....so sorry to hear of your appendix operation. My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery are with you.
My sinus problems are minor compared to your surgery!

I have still been fighting this infection and it hasn't improved any so I guess it will mean a trip back to the Dr. There must be other problems besides sinus for it to knock me down this badly.
I have been so miserable that I haven't been back on the computer until today so I have lots to catch up on!!

The weather here has been beautiful but I haven't been able to enjoy it yet.
It will still be a long time until we have any flowers or color though!

I guess I am in catch up mode....again!!

I will back up and read the posts today to see all that I have missed.

Take care every one and have a good day!

Jacquie

willow_1
04-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Sheila, what the ......??? Had you not been feeling well or was this an acute attack and then surgery?
I hope it didn't rupture as that can be a bit dangerous and takes a lot longer to recover from.
Hugs to you my friend, and hope your recovery is speedy. Thanks also to hubby for letting us know what is happening to you.

Hi everyone else.
I have been to the motel pool the last couple days sitting in the hot tub and then walking in the pool and doing upper body exercises with my therabands.
Tomorrow I go to the other pool for pool therapy.

I want to get an above ground pool for my back yard but I need to call the City and find out what the height limit is before you need to put a fence with a gate that can be locked.

Had a hard time sleeping last night. Had a good day today though.

Everybody take care. See you all later.

Sheila53
04-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Not going to stay on too long, but just wanted to say hello, and "ouch." Luckily, the docs got it out before it ruptured. It was rather a wild day. I woke up Tuesday morning at 4:30 am to bad pains in my abdomen. Thought about waking up DH, but decided not to. Then at 6:30 am, my son called to say his car had been stolen. By the time I got up, the pain had eased so I made a drs. appt. for later on in the afternoon. I had an appt with the chiropractic neurologist, and then with a wedding photographer so it was a busy day. I was pretty uncomfortable by the time I got to the drs. office. He saw me for about 5 min. and told me to go to the ER. I wanted to go tell my Dad and let my dogs out, but he said not to waste any time getting to the ER. By the time I convinced DH to leave me and go home to deal with Dad and dogs, my Dad had called 911 to get the phone number of hospitals. I'm surprised he didn't get into trouble for that! We'd tried to call him, but he doesn't have (or want) a phone in his room, and he can't hear the one in the kitchen when it rings. My poor old dog had wet in her crate, of course.

My DH got back in time to kiss me before they wheeled me into surgery, and he was there when I woke up in my room. The next day he woke up to my old dog peeing blood, and had to take her to the vet before he came to the hospital. My total time in the hospital was less than 24 hours, thank goodness--I hate hospitals. How are you supposed to sleep when they come in every hour, and the nurses are so noisy chatting away. My call button wasn't working either and after I discovered that, I had to pull the phone over to me, dial the operator and get them to ring the nurses station so someone would come in and help me.

I had my DH bring my sz. 14 pants, which are loose on me because I knew I didn't want anything tight, but I couldn't even button them. I imagine it's just bloating (the plumbing isn't working right yet!). Luckily, it's warm enough here to wear shorts so I have a pair of drawstring shorts on.

Time to go take a pain pill and lie down. . .

Bluet
04-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

Sheila, so relieved to read your post. I thought we wouldn't hear from you for a few days. Thank you for posting. What a bummer, if it was going to happen, better it happen now than when you are in the middle of the days before the wedding. Of course you seem to be the type of person that can handle things easily, and not get rattled. So sorry to hear about your poor dog, when it rains, it pours doesn't it? I hope you have that big pointy stick that Puss mentioned in her post, and that you are letting everyone baby you for awhile. You deserve to be pampered, you pamper everyone else, so now it is your turn. Sounds like you really put a scare into DD, sure hope he is ok.
Did the people at 911 help your Dad find the hospital that you were in? Get lots of rest, please.

Charlotte, I miss your posts, you have so much to think about right now and to take care of, we are the last on your list, I am sure, and that is o.k. I hope your health is improving by each day now that you have had another treatment. I can't even pretend to know what you are going through, but I know I don't like seeing you hurting, so it is important that you get back to your old self. It would certainly be a miracle if science came up with a system where by you just had to air shoot medication into you skin and you would not have to invade any veins or muscles in your body with needles. Think of the conditions where people have to give themselves their own injections that this would help. I have my interest peaked now, I am going to see 1st and 2nd DD's this weekend, 1st is a Medical Technologist and 2nd is a RN they know about all of these things. When I am with them I can be a little overwhelmed, when they start talking about medicine. 3rd DD is an Occupational Therapist, and DS is married to a Veternarian. See what I mean? anyway, that is all besides the point. Just want your house done for you, and your DS's troubles to disappear and for you to be pain free. That is not asking for too much is it?

SunnyD, we are still experiencing later winter weather conditions, the wind came off Lake Michigan today and it felt like it was going to snow again. We still have our furnace running at night. I am so excited for you with your weight loss. Please post some pictures of yourself in your new clothes from your shopping spree. We had a Fashion Bug here until about a year ago and then it went out of business. I don't know why, there were always shoppers shopping there whenever I stopped in. They always had some really cute clothes, shoes and jewlery. Our city could use a really good reasonably priced clothes shop, but we never seem to get one here. Either the shops are for teens or the clothes are ridicuously expensive. Keep up the good work and know we are in your corner cheerleading for you!

Puss, thank you for the heads up on the Anne Bolyn novel, I will go on site to our local library and see if it is checked in, and if so put on hold and pick it up after work. I will post you on how I like it or not. When in school ages ago, history was my absolute favorite subject. Math was my least, but being an auditor? I would imagine Math was your forte right? I love the library, when I was growing up we lived around the block from the library and I went there almost every evening in the winter and during the day during summer vacation. I always had my nose in a book. I wanted to be a librarian when I grew up, but somewhere along the way, I married a farmer and ended up raising children, cooking large meals, driving tractor and giving DH a hand whenever he needed it along with moral support. And I didn't turn out too badly at all. In fact I think I got the better end of the bargain. Of course somedays when there was one more wagon of hay to bring in, or when I was so tired, we still had the milking to do I wondered if this would ever end. And it did, and I don't miss those darn cows one bit. I will never be sentimental over calves, but they were in my face for so many years. I must admit they are cute to look at from afar. I am hoplessly lost when my washer or dryer malfunctions. I am rather obssessive/complusive about those two machines, I usually need to wash a load of clothes everyday, and of course they need to go into the dryer, and come out wrinkle free. I feel bad for you that you have to deal with a maintenance person and not having a working washer until next week. That is one of my biggest nightmares.

Jacquie enough already with the sinus infection, I get those too and terrific headaches with them. Hope you are feeling better soon. It takes awhile for that antibiotic to kick in.

Willow, if you have any warm weather over there try pushing some of it our way. I put an extra wool blanket on our bed last night, I just couldn't warm up. I planted three peony bushes last year, three different lovely colors of pink and only one survived. I thought peonies lasted forever. I am disappointed. I am glad to hear the warm water at the pool is helping you to feel better. May is only a week away and then you see your doctor at Mayo, hopefully you will get to the reason why your hip is bothering you. How did your sister enjoy her birthday on Tuesday? You mentioned our birthdays were on the same day. I had a reasonably good birthday. I brought in sweet rolls for everyone in the plant and the office. I din't get to eat any though, but that is o.k. I don't miss the sugar.

Well, I am heading out, I wanted to e-mail some notes to my children yet this evening. Take care all.

Bluet

willow_1
04-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Oh gosh Bonnie, I'm so sorry I forgot your Birthday. :o Too wrapped up in my own world here. A BELATED VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Hey, the weather here today looks dismal. I think it's suppose to rain all weekend, but I know the farmers need it so I'm all for it in that respect because they need all the breaks they can get.

Charlotte, many years ago when my husband went into the Air Force, they gave shots with air guns, so to speak. It was suppose to be less painful than with a needle. The air shoots a tiny forceful stream of the medication into the skin, the air doesn't go into the skin. I had good luck with them. Needles seem so daunting to some people, but they never bothered me. I had to give insulin shots to my Mom when I was 12 years old, so I got used to it. Her eyes were so bad she couldn't see the marks on the syringe to see how many units of insulin she had in it and she couldn't tell if there were bubbles in it.

Puss, yes I'm usually up very early, but I'm getting a bit lazy with being off work and I'm not complaining a bit. I love not HAVING to be any place at any certain time. I think I'm finally starting to relax internally, but just the THOUGHT of going back to that place gives my stomach the flip flops. Oh well, it's only 2 more years. Sure wish I didn't need that darned insurance. You are so lucky to not have to pay Dr bills. I can't imagine what that must be like to not have that hanging over your head every year of your life.
Land of milk and honey, indeed! We're paying through the nose!
Your upcoming vacation sounds so exotic. I'm jealous!

Sheila, poor Dad! I bet he was frantic worrying over you. Awww, see? A parents worry never ends till their last breath. He's such a cool guy, I just love hearing about him. :)
I hope your recovery is quick.

Jacquie, I feel for you with a sinus infection. They are very hard to treat because that is a boney cavity and not only that but the ears and throat can become involved which happened to me a couple years ago and I was very sick for almost a month. Get better soon.

Sunny, you are sure going full steam ahead with your weight loss aren't you? That is fabulous, and that clothes shopping spree must have been sooo much fun.

I hope I havent forgotten anyone. Hello to all who are reading this. Have a great day.

willow_1
04-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Bonnie, was it you, or who was it that said they had a hip replacement?

Whoever it was, can you tell me what led up to it and what was the post-op like? How bad was the pain after surgery, how long did the pain last and what are your limitations now as far as exercise or any activities?

I know you have to be careful how you sit because there can't be more than a 90 degree angle in the hip joint or it will come out of the socket. (Shudder the thought) But, I'm wondering about riding bike etc. and walking daily. Do you have any pain now? How long ago did you have it done?
Thanks for any info you can give me.

willow_1
04-23-2004, 01:56 PM
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
...one old love she can imagine going back to...
and one who reminds her how far she has come...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
...enough money within her control to move out and rent a place of her own
even if she never wants to or needs to...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
.. something perfect to wear if the employer or date of her dreams wants to see her in an hour...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
. a youth she's content to leave behind...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
...a past juicy enough that she's looking forward to retelling it in her old age....

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

...a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

...one friend who always makes her laugh ... and one who lets her cry...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

...a good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
. eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal that will make her guests feel honored.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

.a feeling of control over her destiny...

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW

...how to fall in love without losing herself...

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...

...how to quit a job, break up with a lover,
and confront a friend without ruining the friendship...
and how to change a tire!!!!!!!

...when to try harder ... and when to walk away...

...that she can't change the length of her calves, the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents.

. that her childhood may not have been perfect...but its over...

...what she would and wouldn't do for love or more...

. How to live alone. even if she doesn't like it.

...whom she can trust, whom she can't,
and why she shouldn't take it personally...

...where to go... be it to her best friend's kitchen table... or a charming inn in the woods.. when her soul needs soothing...

. what she can and can't accomplish in a day... a month...and a year...

willow_1
04-26-2004, 09:34 AM
"The Captain's Parrot"

A magician worked on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.
The audience was different each week, so the
magician allowed himself to do the same tricks over
and over again.

There was only one problem: the captain's parrot saw
the shows each week and began to understand how the
magician did every trick. Once he understood, the
parrot started shouting in the middle of the show,
"Look, it's not the same hat!" or "He's hiding the
flowers under the table!" and "Hey, why are all
those cards the ace of spades?"

The magician was furious but couldn't do anything.
It was, after all, the captain's parrot.

One day the ship had an accident and sank. The
magician found himself on a piece of wood in the
middle of the sea with, as fate would have it, the
parrot.

They stared at each other with hatred, but did not
utter a word.

This went on for a day, then another.

Finally the parrot couldn't hold back any longer and
squalked, "OK, I give up? What'd you do with the
ship?"

willow_1
04-26-2004, 10:10 AM
"The Captain's Parrot"

A magician worked on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.
The audience was different each week, so the
magician allowed himself to do the same tricks over
and over again.

There was only one problem: the captain's parrot saw
the shows each week and began to understand how the
magician did every trick. Once he understood, the
parrot started shouting in the middle of the show,
"Look, it's not the same hat!" or "He's hiding the
flowers under the table!" and "Hey, why are all
those cards the ace of spades?"

The magician was furious but couldn't do anything.
It was, after all, the captain's parrot.

One day the ship had an accident and sank. The
magician found himself on a piece of wood in the
middle of the sea with, as fate would have it, the
parrot.

They stared at each other with hatred, but did not
utter a word.

This went on for a day, then another.

Finally the parrot couldn't hold back any longer and
squalked, "OK, I give up? What'd you do with the
ship?"

Angel-lover
04-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone...not going to take up time to color, or etc...short on time. (of course) Son is doing well...most of the time. He's really hurting. He's thinking of selling his horses (2) as, we really don't have room for them. We haven't said anything, but, he knows, of course. I hope he doesn't, because he loves them so much. Really....it's the only earthly thing he owns of his own..other than the girls.

I'm doing alright. Started taking my Methotrexate by self-injection Thursday night. It wasn't so bad. I'm not afraid of needles...just had to get used to injecting myself. The only bad part of the treatments, is the cathedar being larger than my veins. It's my own stubbornness of not getting a port, or it would be easier. I'm just afraid it would irritate me. Everything that comes in contact with my skin irritates the life out of me.

The house is going a little faster now. Got 9 of the new windows put in. Moved some of the remaining furniture we had in the shed up here. Damaged, but usable until we can do better. Wouldn't really want good stuff in here until the house is finished, anyway. Hey, we traded out rooms. The make-kitchen is in the spare bedroom, now....& we are using our own bedroom for the first time in 1 1/2 yrs! http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Zzzz.gifhttp://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Sex.gif(I AM a little naughty sometimes.. :lol: )

Sheila...go glad you're doing better. Been praying for you. Take care of yourself. Hope your son recovers his car.

Willow...I really enjoyed the "Woman Should Have" Thingy! Also, the joke...loved it!! :lol: Don't worry about the shots...I'm ok with them. It's nothing compared to the worries of RA & OA. But, that could be worse, also.

Bluet...I miss being able to post, also. But, I DO come in quickly each day & read all of yours. So, please don't stop sending me messages...I need them. :) I'm a lot like you. I enjoy medical stuff. I have a whole bunch of nursing books (survived the fire & theft!) that I read a lot. My Drs have found out that I study a lot, so they're very careful what they tell me. :^:

Jacquie...I hope your infection gets better.

Fatpuss...I guess I just missed where you answered me about the cats. Just the way my mind is these days. :D Lost more weight! Good for you! :cb: Wish I could go to Spain with you! Hope you have a great time.

Gotta go....hope all are well & have a great week! Gonna try to put a few pics in of my new door, windows, etc....ok,ok, I'm REALLY PROUD of my new door! :lol:

Bluet
04-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello Ladies,

Hope your weekend was a good one. DH and I were very busy. It was our 40th wedding anniversary. The children all attended church with us, then we all went out for brunch together on Sunday. Then everyone came over to our house for a few hours. It was so good to see everyone and all the grandchildren.

Willow, I am sorry I didn't get back to you with an answer about the hip replacement surgery. No, I am not the one who had that type of surgery. I know a few people who have had it. After they get the surgery, they said "Why didn't I have this sooner, the pain is gone." But I have never had it done. My hips are pretty good yet for an old person.

It was cold and miserable here again this weekend, and again today.

Take care all...

Bluet

Sheila53
04-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Wow, Charlotte, what a great feeling it must be to be back in your bedroom after almost 2 years. I'm glad the work is going faster. Hey, is there a neighboring place where your son could keep his horses in exchange for doing some work? I imagine paying boarding fees would be out of the question, but some kind of exchange might work. If I had acreage and lived near you, I'd do it--be a great way to get some stuff done around the place for someone who doesn't have time or the ability. Glad the injections aren't too bad, although any injection is no picnic.

Willow, loved the joke and the "Woman" thing. Glad you're able to get out in the pool and do some activity.

I finally made it all the way up the street, and then around the block. I'm going to try it again in a minute with my DH and without my older dog. She's like me and gets tired as the day wears on so she'll be even slower than this morning. I plan to go back to aerobics in a week, and hopefully back to the gym for weight lifting the week after.

What a beautiful day here! It's supposed to be around 80, though, which is too hot. But this morning when I was walking, the birds were singing and with all the flowers blooming and the blue sky and water, it was absolutely fabulous. Rain tomorrow, but that means we won't have to buy water for the front yard!

My Dad brought up the subject of the neighbor's shed on his property and the neighbor's tree on his property again. He seems to bring it up about every two months, and then get all bent out of shape, which irritates the heck out of me. My DH took photos of the shed (which does appear to be on his property) and the tree (which doesn't appear to be on his property). I told my Dad if he wanted to do something, then get the property surveyed and do something, but all he says is, "I did have it surveyed." Yeah, many years ago. My DH is going out of town next week, and I really hope that my Dad doesn't go into the shed and tree thing again. I just might commit patricide. Luckily, my Dad doesn't stay mad too long because he doesn't remember that he's mad. Whew! And this time I have the photos to back up the tree not being on his property.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic Monday!

Angel-lover
04-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Hi....

I'm having a lot of trouble on this board. Most of the time when I click to reply, or go somewhere, I get the page of "Can't find page". I posted the last message with 5 pics. Thought I'd lost it all, because I got that message. Then, checked the board, & sure enough...no post. Then, got home tonight, & there it is! Only no pics! I wonder if I'm the only one having this problem. It only started since they changed servers, or whatever. I emailed to have it checked out.

Gonna try to send the pics again. :D Like I said....YES...I like my new door! The lower part of the windows open out...inside the house....for cleaning! ;)
http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Group-Hug2.gif

willow_1
04-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Charlotte, I haven't had any problems posting, but it is just as slow as ever when you first get to the site.
Nice pics! You sex pot you! Cute cartoon too when you were telling about you and the mister finally getting your bedroom back. :D

Sheila, I'm glad you're feeling better. Your walk sounded so nice. I'm hoping I'll be able to do that again some day.
LOL!! Dad is too cute! At least he remembers about the shed and the tree on his property line. He's consistent anyway. :lol:

Bonnie, belated Happy 40th anniversary to you and your hubby. You must be doing SOMETHING right lady! I bet it WAS nice to have the whole family together again.

I talked with a woman I work with, (only she's still on nights and I went to days a couple of years ago) and she had both hips replaced. She said it was painful as **** at first, but nothing like it had been BEFORE the surgery. She said she doesn't have any pain now. She also said that the Dr told her that these hips will last for 25 years as long as she doesn't do anything drastic to ruin them. He told her she could do whatever she had done before the surgery. She's 65 so he said she most likely won't ever have to have them replaced again.

Hi Puss and Jacquie and everyone else reading.

Well, I finally saw the surgeon today.
He said my hip is deteriorating, but because of my age he wants to hold off on surgery as long as possible. He said there IS a labral tear but that is part of the deterioration and he wouldn't operate just to try to repair the labral tear because there is so much other stuff in there.
He also thinks the lumps in my thigh are fatty tumors.
He said I should continue with the pool therapy but doesn't think the other kind of physical therapy would be a good idea right now.
He said I should keep weight off the hip as much as I can until I get some weight off, and he has set up an appointment for me to go to the nutritian clinic they have there. The soonest he could get me in is the 24th of May. I thought it was nice of him when I said what a hard time I have sticking with a diet on my own and he said,"Yes, it's always easy to talk about it, but it's another thing to actually do it." A big difference from the sleep apnea DR who told me I didn't need a dietitian because I had lost weight before so I could do it again and if it hurts to walk on cement, then walk in your living room.
He said the pain I'm having in my knee is caused from the way I walk because of the hip. No surprise there.

He also changed me to a different anti-inflammatory.

The weather was nice and sunny here this morning, but in the afternoon got cloudy and cool with a few sprinkles. It was 27 this morning!!
Tomorrow it's suppose to be in the 80's, but the rest of the week is suppose to be cold and rainy.

I need to shampoo my carpets, but, I need to be in the mood for it.

Guess I'll go get into some comfortable clothes.
Have a good evening everybody.

Sheila53
04-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Boy, I had a hard time getting to this place--don't know if it's 3FC or my internet or what.

Charlotte, your house is so cool! I've always wanted to live in a house like that--you're so lucky. What year was it built? The door is fabulous--and I like your Vanna White moves, too! :) I can see why you're so proud of that door.

Willow, I have only heard good things about replacements of any type, but I'm glad that your doctor is waiting. Surgery is the pits, and maybe an alternative will surface. I'm glad that you've found a decent doctor, and that he's helping you work on the weight issue rather than just saying "do it." People who haven't been overweight just don't know how hard it is to overcome all the stuff we have surrounding food. Brr--27 degrees! I hope you haven't planted any veggies yet. I've been worried about our tomatoes, but they seem to be coming along without any covering at night.

Bluet--congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary! What a milestone! How nice that your family was able to celebrate with you.

Well, I finally took photos of the finished front yard. Everything needs to grow in obviously, but it looks pretty good. We're getting some mulch this weekend because I don't want the weeds and grass to start popping up.

I keep waiting to feel 100%, but keep having abdominal pain. Since it's only been a week, I guess I shouldn't complain. After all, they did cut me open and remove an organ, a rather useless organ, but an organ nonetheless. So I wonder what happens to the space where the appendix used to be. I'm hoping my bladder will expand into it and I won't have to get up at night anymore. :D

Hi to everyone else--hope to see you soon!

Angel-lover
04-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Hello friends,

Sheila....I had a hard time getting to post a couple of days ago. I made this reaaalllyy long post, & clicked....lost it all...& couldn't even get back in.
What a beautiful yard! You've put a lot of work (& looks like money!) into it! :) http://www.annieshomepage.com/ccplant2a.gif That would be a beautiful place for your daughter's wedding! You can rent a fountain....or build in a small rock-stream. They're beautiful...I saw one put in on TV. Oh, what a great place for a wedding...& wouldn't have to rent! :D
Thanks for the compliments on my house. It IS very old. That's what attracted it to us. We've lived in very nice houses...all kinds, really. But, we saw this house on a Sunday drive one day & instantly fell in love. We went to the neighbor's to find out about it....they had bought it after the elderly lady owning it had passed away. They said it was full of antiques. If we found anything after we bought it, we could have it. Up very high in a closet we found a very old wind-up train set in the original box....papers & all! Unfortunately, it was stolen in the storage.
The house is well over 100 years old, & is a "landmark" in the community. Known as the Clyde Petree place. Clyde Petree owned most of the stores, etc, in Belgreen (small community we live in). Was well known for miles around. We DO live in the country! :D This house was wanted by several people...but, owners said they instantly liked us, & wanted us to be there neighbors. They financed it, & have been the best neighbors in the world! We wanted to remodel, & were in the process of it, when the fire happen. So, we're going ahead with our plans. The front of the house, above the porch, there's two small windows. They were broken out by the firemen. (I put in fakes) We're going to raise the roof to the attic, put in bedrooms, & there will be french doors coming out to a balcony. I've taken more pics. Will put them in soon. I think it will be pretty when we're finished with it. Now......if I could get your yard over here! :lol:
Hope you're feeling better. Don't rush the healing. Let nature take it's course.

Well, Willow.....If you're looking for points with this (soon to be)senior citizen...you got'em! :lol: I've NEVER been called a SEXPOT in my life! :D Felt good! :coffee: Now...put your glasses back on hon....& don't go back & look at me with them on. ;)
I DO hope your hip gets better. I've heard a lot of good things about replacement surgery also.
Have you heard any more from that woman that was bothering you? I hope that has ended.

Bluet...http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/w/balloon1.gifhttp://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Kiss-On-Lips.gifHAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 40 YEARS!! That's great! DH & I will be married 36 yrs on June 14th. http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Squeeze.gif

Fatpuss, & Jacquie...hope you're ok. Hope you're not having trouble posting. :^: Talk to you all later.

*This image reminded me of DH! :lol: http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/w/tractor7.gif

Angel-lover
04-29-2004, 08:37 AM
http://angel-lover.freeservers.com/blinkie20.gif

Hi Sheila.....
I didn't answer your question about my son's horses. I don't know if there's anyone around close that he could do that for. But, I'll talk to him about it. Thanks for the idea. You touched me a lot when you said you would let him, if we were close enough. I appreciate the thought so much.http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Squeeze2.gif

He is a nervous wreck, now that the hearing is so close by. It's May 6th...a week from today. He's having bad dreams....hollering out in his sleep. I wish my son could get some peace of mind. He IS still doing well, otherwise. I may put a pic of him & his girls on later, when I have time. I've got to go for now. Again....thanks. http://www.animation-station.com/animals/images/anim0009.gif

Sheila53
04-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi, all--

Thanks, Charlotte. The front yard is pretty small, though, with the little patio being only big enough for a bistro table and two small chairs. The backyard, however, would be nice, but not in December! We'd have to give all the guests boots, raincoats and big umbrellas. :) Hey, I'm crossing my fingers and praying hard that the hearing goes well for your son. He really must be a wreck if he's yelling in his sleep. Poor guy. . .

So where is everyone? Supposedly the switch was supposed to solve problems with getting on the BB, not create them.

Today was my first time in a car since April 21, only this time I was driving. It went okay--not too painful. I had to keep my waxing appointment, you know. :) Also went to Trader Joe's to stock up, but a lot of my favorites weren't on the shelves, which can be a problem with that store. I was going to go pick up a few things on sale at the chain grocery store nearby, but didn't feel like it when the time came. I'd had enough of my outing, I guess.

My DH is going to be in Boise next week. He's staying with our son and granddaughter so that should be nice. On May 5, he's making a pilgrimage to the place where our friend, Amy, died in 2001 in a rafting accident. We've gone there the last two years--the first year we put flowers in the river and the second year we each took a sip of her favorite beer and then poured the rest of the beer into the river. I'm not sure what he's going to do this year. I kept a Celtic music festival shirt of hers and we have her Irish dance shoes so I suggested taking those up there and playing Celtic music, but my DH didn't seem thrilled with that idea. It was a horrible time for us--my DH made it and so did another woman, but Amy and a guy who my DH used to work with both died.

Anyway, enough of that grim stuff on such a gorgeous day. It's supposed to be 80 degrees--too hot, but it looks so beautiful out that I guess I can stand it for one day. All the natives are saying we'll pay for this great weather with lots of rain in May. I guess Pacific Northwesterners are kind of a superstitious lot.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Fatpuss
05-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't been posting, been running up my own bottom with things to do before I go away and clearing backlog of work too. A survey I read last week said 70% of Britons find the preparation for a holiday so stressful that it takes a day or so to unwind once there. I will bet they were all WOMEN because it's us who does all the arranging and preps! Had to update DHs wardrobe as his holiday clothes were years old - why do men always give you a fight over buying new clothes for them and afterwards they love the way they look in them?? In one shop I got so exasperated with DH (behaving like DS did at 6 years old, had enough, wants to go home, got enough stuff etc etc) I forgot myself and just said "will you shut up and just do as you are told". We were both surprised and started laughing.
Sheila, great to see you have a trooper's constitution and you are up and running after the appendix op. Must have been really nasty, though. Willow, I am very glad that the doctor thinks your lumps are just fatty tissue but not so good that your hip is not getting sorted. Bluet, sounds like a lovely anniversary you had with DH, congrats! I spent my 30th on tuesday dragging DH round the shops. Angel, I will be thinking of you and DS and the court hearing - let justice prevail and your son get the little ones. Jacqui I hope you are ok and your sinus is all cleared up.
Have to dash, flight is this afternoon but I want to vaccum and dust first - hate coming home to an untidy house though son and his girlfriend will stay here next weekend in our absence and no doubt mess it up a bit, ha ha.
Stay well everyone.

willow_1
05-02-2004, 04:00 PM
The last two days have been busy.
Yesterday was my one granddaughters 15th birthday and today was her confirmation day.
Of course I ate too much of the wrong stuff but I had such a good time that I don't care if I do gain back a couple pounds.

The funniest thing happened with the other grandma and a couple of the grandsons.
She has a 35-year old daughter whom she has always babied, and who is SO lazy and dishonest. She has 2 boys, 7 and 14 years of age and the grandma is raising them while the mother collects welfare for them.
Anyway, the rest of her grandchildren have noticed over the years that this grandma favors those two boys over the rest of the grandkids. Now, that's not to say that she doesn't love the rest of the grandchildren, because she does.
Well, today, my 12-year old grandson and his 12-year old cousin, both grandsons also to this woman, put a dead squirrel they found on the street, on their grandma's windshield. :rolleyes:
She didn't see the squirrel, and had her car door open and was going to wash her windshield before she took off, and when she turned on the wipers to wash the windshield, the squirrel flipped out onto the edge of the open door and bounced into the car. :yikes:
These boys were all but holding each other up with laughter, as was just about everyone else around there. :lol:
Leave it to two boys to think of a prank like that.
Anyway, I'm home now for the rest of the day.

Don't know if I said, but I woke up the other morning with a pain on the top left side of my head. I had a bump there that itched, and I automatically scratched it. By that afternoon, the whole side of my head hurt and was swollen as far back as behind my ear.
I started getting hot flushed feeling and queasy at my stomach that night, and kept waking up all night because my head and neck hurt.
By the next morning, my lymph nodes behind my ear, under my jaw and on the back of my head and neck were all swollen, so I went in to the Dr because I didn't know if it was a spider bite or a scratch that might be getting blood poisoning.
Guess what she told me to take? ZYRTEC! She said it would help the allergy to a spider bite. Well, it hasn't done a darned thing. But, I no longer feel queasy so I must be fighting this off myself, but I still have pain on the top left side of my head and in the lymph nodes. I'm really weird, aren't I? I get the damndest things! :rolleyes:

She is also sending me back to work tomorrow. She said that if I'm having pain in my hip at home as well as at work, I might as well sit at work and have pain.
Guess I'm going to quit my job. I hate to lose the insurance, but I can't sit on that hip any length of time. At least when I'm at home, I can go lay on my right side for a while to take the pressure off of that hip.
She is sending me back for 4 hours a day, then I'm suppose to go see her in a week.
I wonder what will happen if I can't sit on it that long. If the Dr will have to give me a medical leave yet, or if she can just say you have to go sit on it. This couldn't hit at a worse time. I've been there over 20 years and am 2 years away from retirement, and if I quit I'll lose my insurance, where as if I stay on an extended medical leave I can keep my insurance and retire in 2 years and then the company pays my insurance until I'm 65.
I'm so stressed out over this I'm sick. :stress: OK, enough of my bellyachin'!

The weather here today is partly cloudy, breezy and chilly.

My lawn is starting to look shaggy. I'll have to have my grandson come and mow it this week.

My flowers are coming up. The peonies are up about 1 1/2 feet, and the lilacs are starting to open. The white ones are almost completely open and the purple ones are about to open. It always smells so good in the yard when they open up.
My rhodendron is almost completely dead. I'll have to dig it out and get another one.

Well, off to do other things. Have a great day all.

Sheila53
05-04-2004, 04:03 PM
A dead squirrel??! Ooohh, Willow, be glad you're good to those grandsons! :) Sounds like those two like to go in for practical jokes. That spider bite sounds awful. I didn't know a spider bite could cause all that--how horrible! I hope you're feeling better today.

I really don't understand your doctor. Having pain at work and having it at home are definitely two different things. At home you can move differently, lie down, take a pain pill, whatever, but at work, you're just forced to sit there for hours and can't do anything to relieve it. What a stressful situation! I really hope that your doctor reconsiders.

Puss, I know you are on vacation so you won't read this, but I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing time. We're all so jealous, or at least I am.

Not much going on here. My DH is out of town for the week so it's just me and Dad. Tomorrow I've got a guy coming to rototill and level the backyard so I can throw wildflower seed on it. The main thing is to get it level. My poor DH hurts his back every time he mows back there.

Still haven't gone to aerobics, but I plan to go tomorrow morning. Monday I wasn't feeling that great so I decided to sleep in.

Sure is quiet around here. Hope everyone is doing well. SunnyD, I have to confess I read your posts on another forum so that I can see how you're doing. It sounds like you're doing great, too, so keep up the good work!

Angel-lover
05-05-2004, 09:38 AM
http://www.holidaygraphics.com/mother/page1_files/tag.gif
Hi everybody...sorry I haven't been around....I've got a lot going on.
DS divorce hearing is tomorrow, & he's nervous. I'm absolutely terrified! I want all of this over & done with, & for it all to work out. But, does divorce (especially where children are involved) ever work out? DS attorney says he has a very good chance. He is sooo intimidating, though, that's it's hard for, even us, to talk to him. My DH leaves everything up to me...says I'm a better talker...so I have to face this man with my son. :^: I figure, though, if he intimidates us, what WILL he do to HER???? ;) Just pray for us tomorrow & the days ahead. I DO think of all of you & will stop in when I get a chance.

The work on the house is coming along. The walls to extend the back of the house (putting in a den/kitchen combo) is going up this week....looking good.

Willow....oh my, a spider bite! Yes, they can be dangerous. You were probably allergic to it. They give me Zyrtec, Benadryl, etc when I have my treatments & take my chemo throught the week, because I'm highly allergic to a lot of meds. I'm VERY sensitive to the treatments & chemo. So if the Zyrtec helps that, then it probably would help you. It really isn't a minor medication...nor inexpensive. :( Luckily, my nurse gives me lots of samples. ;)
I don't understand your Dr at all. Like Sheila said....it's different at home, & at work. You may have to go on disability, instead of retiring, if you don't get better. But, that takes quite awhile. I'm so sorry. I hope you can find a solution. Seems like if Dr was going to send you to work, you'd at least get a VERY good pain med.
I had a good laugh over your grands!! :lol: Thanks, I needed it!

Sheila...I KNOW you're injoying that beautiful flower garden & yard! http://www.countryclipart.com/WildFlowSet/bucketflwrspilled.gif Stay encouraged with your diet.

Hope Fatpuss is having a great time! http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Tip-Hat.gif

Hi Jacquie & Bluet!! http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Wave.gif

Have a great day!
http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v133/alisyn3e/1_teapart.gif

willow_1
05-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Work sucks.
I was set right back again, and by the end of four hours I was also pissed.
I called the Dr and told her what it felt like and she put me off for 2 more weeks. Don't see how that is going to help, but, I'll do it.
In the mean time I'm checking on options for early retirement and insurance coverage.

The bites, or whatever it is on my head are still painful as ****. I'm going to have my hairdresser look at my head and see if she can see anything, like what the bites look like and then show it to a different doctor.
An ordinary spider bite shouldn't be painful this long.
I keep worrying that I might have been bitten by a bat while I was sleeping. I've looked all over in my bedroom and can't find anything, but maybe it's hidden in some clothes in the closet or something like that.
I slept on the couch last night.

It was only 36 degrees here this morning. there are wind advisories out too, but the sun is shining beautifully right now.

I hope everything goes well in court tomorrow.

Sheila, glad everything is healing well after your surgery.

Hello to everyone else.

Sheila53
05-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Having a hard time getting on here, but wanted to stop by and say I'm thinking of you and your family, Charlotte. Please let us know as soon as you can how the court date went. I'm so praying that everything went your son's way. It just HAS to!

Willow, dang, we all knew that the working thing wouldn't pan out--glad your doctor finally agreed, but it's still hard to believe she made you go back at all.

I've been puttering around with wedding stuff again after taking a break. We have interviews with two photographers. The kids aren't doing their "homework" so I can't do much until they give me a guest list and choose a couple of caterers for me to interview (and taste!).

Today I made my old girl stay at home while my younger dog and I took a really brisk 35 minute walk. I actually got out of breath--think it was because I haven't done anything very aerobic in several weeks. I WILL go back to class next week!

Hope everyone is doing well. Seems like a very busy time for all of us.

willow_1
05-06-2004, 07:59 PM
My hairdresser looked at those bumps on my head, and she said they look like something poked into my head. They don't look like bites to her.

My sister has me all paranoid now because she said maybe I got bit by a bed bug. She said they are becoming thicker all the time all over the US, and she said they are usually where travelers gather or stay, like a hotel or motel, and I was swimming in the pool at a local motel! My hairdresser said these bumps are purple in color, like a bruise, and they are about as big around as her finger tip.
My sister said the bite from a bed bug turns a purple color and has a pale or white center. These have a scab forming on them.
I still think it's from those velcro squares that hold the ends of my chin strap on top of my head getting pressed against the head board of my bed.
My glands aren't quite as swollen today either, but they sure hurt like ****!

Now, for what my DR did!
Remember she sent me back to work on Monday, and I called her Tuesday and told her I couldn't do it. She apologized all over the place and said she was going to take me off work for another 2 weeks, and asked who's attention she should fax the message to at my place of employment.
Well, today I went to work to get an insurance form and they told me I was absent with no call-in since Tuesday. ..... !!!!!
My DR never faxed anything to work, so they thought I had quit! If you go 3 days without calling in, you're automatically terminated!
I asked the secretary at work if I could use her phone, and called the DRs office. Her secretary wasn't at her desk, so I got one of the other Drs secretary's and she said she'd fax the message to work right away.
Now, I don't know if Wednesday and today are going to be counted as absences or not. I'm going to fight it if they are counted because that will bring me up to step 6 and after step 8 you go on the absentee program and it's really easy for them to get rid of you. Nice situation to be in after more than 20 years.

The weather here is humid today. Rained lightly for a while.

Everybody have a good evening.

willow_1
05-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Hello all,
My day went by pretty fast actually for as lazy as I was.

My son and grandson came over and I paid my grandson $20.00 to mow my
lawn and he earned every penny of it too. It's always harder to do
the first time of the year.
My son cut off all the canes of a rose bush down to the fence I had
it in, then dug it out for me. What a job!
It was a pretty bush when it was in bloom, but it crawled into
everything. Then it would put roots down every place it touched the
ground. I'm glad to be rid of it.

My little granddaughter was picking lilacs. She had a big clump of
them and said, "Do you want a flower grandma?" Of course I
said, "yes." She handed me the big clump of them and just as I was
saying, "thank you!" she broke off just one stem of flowers and took
the big one out of my hand and handed me the little one saying,"here
grandma, this is yours."
I had to laugh. She's so blasted cute.

Hope you all have a nice evening!

Angel-lover
05-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Hello friends,
The divorce hearing was yesterday. Only my son & I went....was a long, stressful evening. We thought it was just a hearing to see what they would fight over later. It didn't turn out that way. My son's attorney really plowed into his wife/ex...got her on the stand, & worked her over until you could see the lies coming out to cover each other! DS & I almost felt sorry for her. He is really good in court!
The results...for now, until a drug test comes back (DS's attorney had one done right then.), they share custody. He has the girls one week, & she has them the next. We were supppose to get them this week, but, DS said since it was Mother's Day weekend, he'd trade with her. So now, we wait on drug test results. DS is lost this evening without the girls. He usually gets them at 6pm on Fridays & returns at 6pm on Sunday. He'll be going 2 wks without seeing them, since he let her go first. Thought it was a nice gesture for him to make, though. I'm proud of him. (That test better come back clear, though!)

Willow...that's usually the part of the flowers I get from my grands, also! :lol: The 2 yr old usually only has the very flower...with no stem!
How's your hip & your head? Hopefully your head is better, now. I would think so. Your hip, though, is a different story, I'm sure. Hope it does get better.

Sheila...thanks for the kind thoughts for my DS. I want him to be alright...but, what's most important is the children. The judge was a woman...& seemed very fair. I don't think she'll hesitate to give him the girls, if he's clean, & she's not.
Are you enjoying planning the wedding? Try to enjoy it....remember, you're making memories! :)

Well...I'm very tired. Been through a lot the last few days. Hope you have a good weekend. Hope Fatpuss comes home to us soon...I miss her!! http://skins.hotbar.com/skins/mailskins/img/Bathro/Bathroom_Stuff_Poodle_bathes_prv.gif

willow_1
05-08-2004, 11:25 AM
I think I have shingles on my head.
I looked it up last night, and everything fits.
They usually hit people of 60 years of age or older, .... I'm 60.
People who's immune systems are compromised by cancer, AIDS or by steroids. I had cancer removed 4 years ago and have had 2 steroid injections in the last 6 months.
People who are under a lot of stress. Well, job, hip, ......
The symptoms are exactly what I have, .... burning pain, itchy tingly feeling, eye lid twitching, low grade fever and chills, ....

Anyway, everybody have a great Saturday.
As soon as I get dressed I'm off to my sisters house to take her the roots of that Rose bush, .... if I can find them, and some iris rhizomes.
It stormed like crazy here last night and the electricity went out a couple of times. Everything looks so fresh and clean this morning.

See ya all later! .....

Sheila53
05-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks for letting us know how it went, Charlotte. Did both your son and DIL have to take drug tests right then, or just your DIL? When does the judge make a decision? I'm glad you got such a good lawyer.

Oh, ouch, shingles! Willow, don't you love having to self-diagnose? We pay doctors enough--you'd think they could learn to use the internet, too! :) I diagnosed myself also. I guess you should be glad the shingles are only on your head (only if you want to be grateful for very small favors!) because I've heard they're very painful, especially when touched by clothing. My grandmother had them lots of places on her body, and it was really awful for her. I hope the outbreak doesn't last too long.

Today we did a marathon session of looking at photographers. We met with one at 11:30 am, then brought Subway sandwiches (salad for my Dad--he can't handle sandwiches) for lunch, got on the road at 1:13 pm to be in the next city south by 2:00 pm, then back up to see a photographer at 3:30 pm who lives at the end of our street. We went through two huge rainstorms on the drive to the city and back, and a traffic jam down, and then slow traffic on the way back. I was exhausted when we got home around 4:15 pm. We decided to go with the photographer we saw this morning--he was knowledgeable, reasonably priced, and we liked the way his package deals worked. So now we have the dress/veil, the venue, and the photographer. We now have to deal with caterers, cakes, flowers, favors (although I know what I'm doing for that) and get an officiant. I'm letting the groom deal with, and pay for, a DJ. Although I saved $300 on the photography budget so I can probably help pay for the DJ, but I'm not interviewing DJs. I'm going home by the time they start that stuff!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day!

Angel-lover
05-09-2004, 07:14 AM
http://www.holidaygraphics.com/mother/page1_files/hmd1.gif
Hi........I hope all are having a beautiful Sunday & Mother's Day! My DH brought me a beautiful bouquet of spring flowers & a BEAUTIFUL card!http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Flowers.gif What made it really special....he had worked very hard all day on the house...got showered & dressed around 7 p.m. & went to town (ten miles) just to get them! http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Big-Kiss.gif He's taking me to out to eat today.

Sheila...they both took the drug test. It was my DS's idea. There was results that day....but, is being sent off to be further analyzed...so, no mistakes. We should know something this next week.

Sounds like you're coming along well with the wedding. I guess some of those memories will be the rainy drive! :^: I don't blame you about the DJ. :D

Willow...you poor thing! I hope you get better soon. My heart is really going out to you.

Gotta go get ready for church. Everyone have a good day.
http://www.timbuktu.eluria.com/blinkies001/foreverfriendsbottom.gif

willow_1
05-09-2004, 02:11 PM
http://www.joygreetings.com/beingamother.shtml

willow_1
05-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is all relaxed and rested after Mothers Day. How did you all spend your day? I was home all day but spent a lot of time on the phone with the kids. Two of my sons and their families came to see me too. I got a geranium plant and a beautiful vase of fresh flowers and a cute dragon fly that flaps his wings in the breeze that my grandson brought to me so we had to put it out in the yard right away.

Of course I ate too much of the wrong stuff. So, ..... here I go, starting over yet again!

I think that new antiinflammatory that surgeon prescribed may be helping. My hip seems a little better lately. Still hurts some, but I've been going without my cane most of the time in the house and still limp some but not as badly.
I hope it's not just one of those times that it eases up for a little while then starts in again. Gotta look on the positive side.

I'm going to look for another used exercise bicycle to keep upstairs. I have all that stuff downstairs but I don't like to go down there alone to use it, so I'm going to get one for upstairs so it will be handy to jump on whenever I want to. So, that should give me something to do today plus I have a couple more errands to run.

It's cloudy here right now, but of course it's only 6:25 AM. Suppose to be rainy all week according to the forecast.

Everyone have a wonderful day today.

Angel-lover
05-11-2004, 09:00 AM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/Goodmorningcurlers.jpg
Hope all are well today. It's been really hot...90's...but, nice & cool this morning. I'm sitting with my (new) window open, :coffee: & enjoying!

Willow...good to hear you had a nice Mother's Day. So did I. It's nice to have a special day of our own! I largest enjoyment & blessings on earth have been to be a mother & grandmother. I've lost a lot...but, thank God, I still have what's most important to me.
I'm glad your new meds are helping. I'll pray they keep working for you. I think about you a lot...being in misery with that hip. Take care of yourself, that you don't over do. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get the pain started, again.

Sheila...I know you're busy with the wedding plans...enjoy...but, drop us a line when you can.

Bluet, & Jacquie....I miss you both...hope you're back with us, soon.

Fatpuss...you'd better be enjoying yourself. We're having to sacifice your absence!! :D Really....hope you ARE having a wonderful time. Hope you bring back pics to show.

Gotta go for now....keep praying for our family.
http://img46.photobucket.com/albums/v142/robindw2004/ShowLetter_tea_cup.gif

Sheila53
05-11-2004, 11:35 AM
That teacup graphic is so cute, Charlotte. I bet you guys are on pins and needles about the divorce. I hope you hear something soon. The waiting is the worst, I'm sure. 90 degrees in May!! Oh, my goodness--what's it going to be like in August??

Willow, so great to hear that the meds may be helping. I sure hope so. Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

Well, I finally got my daughter and her fiance to choose three caterers for me to contact out of the approved list. So I contacted them yesterday and they're all sending proposals. I also started contacting musicians. I put an ad in at the musicians local. Man, there are a lot of starving musicians around! I've been inundated with phone calls and e-mails. They're going to have to send me a demo CD, though, so that I can forward them to my daughter. I feel pretty caught up on wedding stuff now. This morning I woke up thinking of wine and beer.

The lilacs have gone past now, and look pretty yucky with brown flowers on the bushes. They're such lovely flowers, though, that they can be forgiven for turning brown, I guess.

A while ago I mentioned my friend who was having heart problems while on vacation in Hawaii. She's home now, but was having problems where they implanted a defibrillator in her heart. She was on strong antibiotics, but there was a red palm-sized area around the incision that was red and puffy, although the incision healed up okay. She was referred to a doc in a neighboring city, and they ended up removing the defibillator only to discover that the surgeons in Hawaii had left a gauze pad inside her that her body was rejecting. I couldn't believe it!! Now that has to heal, and then they'll open her up again and install another defibrillator. Isn't that the pits?? I can't imagine that so much anesthesia is very good for a heart patient.

Rainy here, but that's okay because it's free water for my newly installed plants!! Have a good one, everybody!

Angel-lover
05-13-2004, 09:28 PM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/MissYou.gifWhere's everyone at??? Maybe this post will bump us up some.

Well, we got the results to the drug test today. DS is totally negative on all drugs!! :D DIL was positive for marajuana & using a solution to flush drugs out of her system! That made the judge really mad....especially after she got the results, & asked DIL if she had done that. She shook her head & said "no"...while the judge was looking at the results!!

To tell the truth, we got the results, when we went to court. DS tested positive for Marajuana & Meth. I didn't wanted to tell it, until we had it sent off & analyzed. He said he was clean & we believed him....especially when it was HIS idea to take the test. He had taken Benadryl for a migraine, that caused a false-positive. I wanted to be sure, before I told. Hope you all don't mind.
I don't know what the next step is, now...but, our DS sure is feeling good tonight. :lol: We get the girls tomorrow evening, for our week, anyway. That will help his feelings a lot. They haven't let DS talk to the 5 yr old more than 2 minutes, the days they DO talk. She's making remarks to her daddy that lets us know they are trying to turn her against him, also. It's so hard to understand how people can be so cruel.

Well...willow...I hope you're much better now. You must be enjoying the summer time...just don't forget about us. ;)

Sheila...that was terrible what happened to your friend! We hear of a lot of that kind of thing going on...but, it still always amazes me. My daughter had a mole removed by a "Plastic Surgeon" about a month ago, to be analyzed. Turned out it was ok. She said the scar got to bothering her yesterday, & she pulled 3 stitches out! This is a plastic surgeon, who had presumably taken the stitches out! :(

Well...we've got rainy weather here, now. Going to last through Tuesday, they say. Oh well.......

Hope all are well.
Hello to Fatpuss, Jacquie, & Bluet!!http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/w/hello2.gif

Sheila53
05-14-2004, 02:52 PM
All right, Charlotte! I'm so happy for your family. It must be a big relief to know that your DS really has been clean and sober. You know, I've heard you can get false readings from a lot of different things, including poppy seeds. Okay, I got that one from a Seinfeld episode, but I do think it might be true. In any event, I'm hoping this makes a huge difference in the judge's decision.

Yeah, it's horrible when one parent will try to turn the kids against the other. It's just not right. I know my DH has never said anything to his daughter about her mother, but from the stuff my stepdaughter has said, her mother has said some stuff about my DH. I'm proud of my DH for not going that route.

That medical stuff is weird, isn't it? And scary because we have no control over it. I told her to tell the doctor right before surgery, "Please don't leave a gauze pad in." It worked for me when they took my appendix out--I said, "Please don't nick anything while you're in there" and he didn't! :)

I was so mad at my Dad yesterday that I stormed out of the room and slammed my door. Gee, sounds like something a teenager would do, doesn't it? I was fuming and kept thinking, well, we'll just stick him in assisted living and move back to Idaho and never see him again, and he can get someone else to wash his clothes, clean his room, wash his feet, put his shoes and socks on, etc., etc. He must have gotten those angry vibes because he came and apologized and said he hadn't meant to upset me. The bad part is that he'll forget and do it again. *Sigh* I probably need to talk to someone about how to deal with a paranoid aging parent.

Well, it's absolutely gorgeous out. I planted some stuff yesterday, and we're going to the nursery today to get some stuff for containers. I'm kind of late on it, but I guess that can be excused by unexpected bout with the scalpel. Have a great weekend!

Angel-lover
05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
http://media.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/1948/a.gif
Sheila
It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the encouragement about my family. I stay worried a lot. Just praying everything will work out.

I'm sorry your dad upset you so much. It does get frustrating when you help & sacrifice for someone, & they give you so much grief. You must be a very loving, & patient daughter to him. I'm sure he doesn't realize how fortunate he is. Just hang in there.

I'm getting concerned about Willow...it's been almost a week since her last post. Willow....if you're reading this....I MISS YOU!! Let me know how you are! I don't know what I would do without all of you to talk to & let out my frustrations with! I just hope you & Willow & Fatpuss & Bluet & Jacquie (where are they?) don't get tired of me venting.

Well...gonna go..got lots to do before bedtime. Take care.

http://www.countryclipart.com/PuppySet/puppylabflowerbeeslinesmx.gif

Sheila53
05-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Good morning whoever might still be around!

Charlotte, I hope all this custody/divorce stuff is cleared up soon, although it will probably always be worrisome when visitation is involved. Hey, did your son find a place for his horse? I hope so. I also hope the stress isn't wreaking havoc on your health.

So, my son called me Friday night to tell me that he'd been pulled over by police in five cop cars who all drew their guns and made him get out of the car. Then they handcuffed him and put him in the back of a squad car. He was there for an hour while they figured out that he hadn't stolen the car he was driving. His car was stolen several weeks ago, but recovered by police who told him that everything was okay and he could take the car. What nobody realized was that the thief (who was caught driving the car) had switched the plates for some reason. So my son was driving around in a car with what turned out to be plates from a stolen car. Once the cops figured that out, they removed the handcuffs and took the license plates. Since you can't drive a car with no plates, my son once again had to tow his car. So far he's spent about $800 on towing and cab rides because someone stole his car. I imagine he'll never get restitution either. He doesn't have full coverage (it's a 1990) so insurance doesn't pay for anything. At least the car is in good shape!

We planted some vegetable seeds and I filled a couple of containers with flowers plus planted some other flowers. I still have a couple of beds to fill, though. On Sunday we looked at open houses, which is something I really love doing. I always pick old houses to look at, but we did go to a new house that was built in an old style. When I have my own house again, I'd really like it to be an older house that needs some updating.

So who has cicadas? Yuck is all I can say!

willow_1
05-18-2004, 12:53 AM
I'm around, just not much to say recently.

It sounds like everyone is doing well.

I've been cleaning and freezing strawberries and rhubarb. I baby sat a few times in the last week.

My hip is improving. Still painful to walk on, but I'm walking almost normal now. New meds seem to be working.

I go back to work Wednesday.
Stupid Dr caused me to get 2 unexcused absences because she didn't fax a note to work like she said she would.

I was going to start exercising at the new place tonight but my son asked me to babysit. Maybe next week.

I went shopping tonight and got three pairs of capris and 3 tops.

Everybody have a good week.

Fatpuss
05-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Fatpuss is back in the house. I have just lost a long post here because my fingernail on little finger must have tapped a wrong key and the whole site just bombed out and lost my message - wahhh! So annoying!
I have been back for five days but this is the first chance I have had to post. Dh and I came down with an awful virus over there, think DH caught it first from someone on the plane going there who was coughing and sneezing all over the show and I caught it a couple of days later. Started with an evil sore throat which went to the chest really quickly. The Spanish doctor didn't like the sound of DHs cough because of his previous heart attacks and took an Xray. All was well there but he was given strong anti-biotics which attacked the bugs in the throat quickly. Because the chemists there give you the prescription back I was able to point to the bit with anti-biotics on it (didn't need the other stuff on it) and dosed myself up a few days later when I caught it. We still have hacking coughs even now so whatever it was, it was vicious ha ha. DD reckons the doc was checking for Legionnaires with DH as Spain is the one country in Europe that the Brits tend to contract it. It didn't spoil the holiday one bit though, thank heavens. We got to visit Granada and the Alhambra Palace (which is supposed to be closing to visitors next year as the experts say visitor numbers are damaging the structure). We also visited Seville (oranges falling off trees in the streets!) and Malaga. It was a last minute cheaper allocation of hotel on arrival and it turned out the hotel was one we stayed in about 12 years ago when our kids were little so bit like home from home for us.
Willow you have had a real hassly time between the doctor and work. Not enough you have medical problems to deal with that you have all that to contend with too. I really don't know how these malingerers manage to stay on benefits for most of their lives when, like you, the only time I go to the doctors I am treated like it's nothing. I doubt if my doctor would recognise me as it's been at least two years since I saw him but I didn't like his attitude when I last saw him. I hope they can sort some way where you can go on long term sick until they know the true extent of how debilitating your hip is (even though you can probably tell them!) How is your head and the shingles now? My dad had that on his back and shoulders and I know they can be excruciatingly painful.
Angel I am so glad your son got shared custody and how sweet was he to consider his wife over Mother's Day in spite of all she has done to him. Sounds like half share could easily become full custody if she messes things up with drugs so it's good news. Good news too that you are getting your house back to normal more now. Did your DS find somewhere for his horse?
Sheila it is so good to see you back here after your op. That must have been so nasty for you and I admire how quickly you were back to the usual routein. The wedding plans are going well, I think that was a brilliant idea to advertise for musicians and getting demo tapes - who would have thought of doing that?? Usually it's left to chance just by booking so well done, lady, I will remember that for the future. As for the gauze left inside your friend, a surgeon my daughter works with had to operate again a few days later on a man who had an instrument left inside for 3 days. He was livid with the theatre nurse whose job it was to count all instuments and swabs that go in and should be checked for coming out but their union is so strong she could not be disciplined even though she has a reputation for being lazy and on this occasion actually left her post and handed over to someone else as she had completed her allotted hours. What a scary episode for your son with the cops and guns. I have seen that on US reality TV progs here and I think I would die of fright if it happened to me. I am still not used to our cops wearing bullet proof vests and carrying machine guns at the airports only. I can't imagine the cops on the streets having guns.
Bluet I hope all is well with you and DDs and look forward to you being back here.
SunnyD I read the last few pages but you seem to be away. I hope you are well and that focussed outlook on the weight loss is still with you. I confess I put on 6lb during the holiday - unlimited food for the taking including full English fried breakfasts and desserts to die for! Hope to behave myself now I am back and haven't had any cake yet. My mother is cheerful right now, I hope it lasts but have a feeling it won't. Never mind, the break from the hour long nightly phone calls was nice.
Hope I haven't forgotten anyone, have a good evening everyone. x

Bluet
05-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Hello Everyone,
Still running back and forth from here to work to DD's. Tomorrow is two weeks since her surgery. The baby came down with an ear infection yesterday, and was taken to the doctor today. DSI has taken on the responsibility of meal making, homework and getting two older siblings to school. Today everything fell apart at work, our main printer failed and we aren't sure we can get parts for it. Payroll isn't done, nor the payable checks, nor the invoicing. I feel like I am falling apart. I was going to help DD tomorrow, but it looks like I will have to go to work. Take care Shiela, Charlotte, Fatpuss and Willow, I'll get back when I can.

Bluet

Angel-lover
05-18-2004, 10:23 PM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20one/00t_kitten_flowers.jpg

Glad to see you all back! Now, if we can get Jacquie here. SunnyD is posting regular on another thread. She may not have enough time for more. Seems to be pretty busy these days. Maybe she can come back soon.

Willow
You had me concerned. I knew you weren't feeling well. Also, your hip problems. What about the trouble with your head....did you decide it was shingles? Seems like that Dr could still send in a statement for you. I know that was so frustrating!

Sheila
That must have been terrible for your son! I can't imagine all those cop cars & guns drawn! I would have had a heart attack! And then, for it to cost him all that money!
Sounds like your garden is getting prettier all the time. I know how you feel about older houses...DH & I feel the same way. But, the remodeling stuff.....NOT!!! :lol:

Fatpuss
I missed you! Sorry you & DH were so sick...but, sounds like you had a lovely trip, anyway. Our son still has his horses here, just tied, so they won't get to ours. DH doesn't want any offspring yet. :lol: Maybe things will settle down soon, & DS can get him a place of his own with a small pastor.

Bluet
Glad to hear from you. Sounds like you're really being overworked! Take care of yourself the best you can. We're thinking of you.

Jacquie
We Miss YOU!!
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/msbunnygoodnight2.gif

Sheila53
05-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey, welcome back, Puss! It sounds like you had a wonderful time, although what a bummer about getting sick. Do you both speak Spanish, or did the medical staff speak English? You guys sound like such world travelers that I'm thinking you do speak other languages? Hey, since you are our expert on all things British, what exactly is an English breakfast? And what is a "fry up?" I can visualize Judi Dench's character, Jean Pargeter, in As Time Goes By, telling Lionel she's going to do a "fry up." I'm glad you had a nice break from the phone calls from your mother. Have you planned next year's holiday? Which is your favorite country to visit? The only foreign country I've been to is Canada, which is only a couple hours drive from where I live. I remember one time I was in Victoria and was roaming around the residential area and saw an older woman in tweeds wearing a hat and carrying a cane. I was so enchanted! Just like in the English mysteries.

Willow, are the strawberries and rhubarb from your own garden or a produce market? I'm curious what you do with the rhubarb. My DH is so fussy about food that I haven't had rhubarb in a long time (nor Swiss chard, squash, any kind of greens, etc., etc.). My Mom used to just cook it and put sugar on it. I don't think I've ever had rhubarb pie, but it sounds good to me. Dang--I was hoping that your doctor would have cleared stuff up with your work. I hope that doesn't give them ammunition to terminate you or anything. I'd be ticked off royal. I hope things are going better at work today.

Charlotte, I love that signature graphic. It's so cool the way the pen writes out your name. Where did you get that? About remodeling, the only way I will do remodeling anymore is if we hire someone. I promised my DH that he would never have to build a deck again (that was our second house--a three level deck that an architect friend designed), paint a house (we just painted last year), or add on a room (we did that with the first house we bought). I also said that when we move again, we're going to hire movers to do all the work. When work moved us a couple of times, the movers did everything--that's the only way to go! Of course, that means he's going to have to make a LOT of money! :)

Back to weight lifting yesterday for the first time since my appendix surgery. My arms are really sore. We also went back to water aerobics, which made my arms even worse, but a "good" worse if you know what I mean. Did I tell you that I had my swimsuit stolen the last time I was at water aerobics? I made sure to keep it with me this time. Swimsuits aren't cheap, and I don't want to have to get another one.

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday!

Fatpuss
05-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Bluet it is so good to see you back here though you sound like you are in the middle of a whirlwind right now with domestics and work problems. I know it is silly telling you to take it steady but we don't want you getting run down and prey to virusus etc. Poor little babe with an ear infection too. Good job SIL is housetrained, I would have had to get someone in if left to my DH to cope - I signed myself out of a Bahrain hospital on the second day after a caesarian section I had that much faith in DH to cope with an 11 month old, ha ha.
Angel, your place with lots of horses reminds me of the High Chapperal TV programme, it sounds idyllic compared to city and town life I have lived. I had to laugh over your DHs comments about not wanting any offspring! It never would have occurred to me that the horses would get up to some hanky panky!
Sheila, the doctors at the clinic in Spain spoke excellent English with US accents! I believe that the staff at the big free hospitals there don't speak English very much.
Despite the travelling I only speak a little French and Dh moderate German. We Brits are bad that way, we expect everyone to speak our language. My DS is reasonable in French and fluent in Spanish - studied it until he was 18 and spent 4 months in Mexico. DD speaks good French and German. Of all the nationalities I admire for multi-linguistic skills I think the Dutch are amazing. Dutch friends say they have to be as no where in the world does anyone else speak their language, ha! "A full English breakfast" as it is called consists of bacon, sausage, fried egg, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, and finished off usually with buttered toast and marmalade (type of bitter jam/jelly from oranges). Heaps of calories and saturated fats, yummy though. I suppose I have seen more countries than the average Brit but only because of DHs job I think. Living in Singapore was a central place for travelling to Thailand, Borneo, Africa, Bali, Indodesia, Malaysia etc. I think Vietnam was my favourite, especially the south which used to be Saigon, the people are lovely and the landscape beautiful. I know the US is a massive county and I suppose you could travel round it for a life time and never cover all of it. I have never been there or to Canada. Today my daughter and her boyfriend booked their holiday to the US. They will fly to Las Vegas early July and hire a car and travel to San Francisco etc. Seems only her boyfriend can drive there as she is under 25 and hire companies insist on being 25. I am trying to persuade her to undertake a drive in wedding whilst there as the thought of going through all the planning that you are doing scares me to bits! Have you tried rhubarb crumble? It's a base of stewed rhubarb with sugar and topped with a mixture of butter rubbed into flour and sugar added and baked in the oven. Served with custard (think I explained custard here before) it's lovely. I didn't know you had started weight lifting as well as the water aerobics, well done. I am doing no exercise now but trying to keep away from the cakes and biscuits. Lost 3lb of the weight from Spain but that took no effort on my part as I didn't have the breakfasts and desserts all laid out for me ready for the taking!
Willow, about the lumps on your head; a colleague at work was telling me today about a mutual friend whose husband's head broke out into lumps the other week. The local doctor checked it out and said it was unlikely to be anything bad and gave him some medicated cream. Cream didn't seem to be doing any good so our friend took her DH to the hospital and the doctor asked if he was under any stress lately (he is) and thinks it is that. No real answers but I thought of you and if it is stress related then you have certainly had enough of that to cover ten heads! Hope you are trying to take it easy.
Jacqui - hope things are going ok for you and look forward to seeing you back here when you can manage it.
SunnyD, if you are reading this, you are missed!

Bluet
05-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Thank you Puss, it was so kind of you to remember me in your post today and to wish me well. Today was not near as bad as yesterday, but still we are getting further behind at work. Ran all our programs and printed them on plain paper at the other building that has a decrepit printer, that I wouldn't dare to try to print forms on (payroll checks, invoices etc.) The maintenance people ordered an interface from somewhere out east today to be overnighted in. Maintenance people's office is out of South Milwaukee so, I don't plan on having a printer tomorrow, unless he makes it up here late in the day. I typed all the payroll checks by hand this afternoon and the girls typed the invoices, so they could be mailed out. Ran back and forth to get our printouts from the other building (about a mile away) through out the day. Tomorrow we will deal with the accounts payable checks. I had to put the accountant off too, because I can't print any ledgers if I don't have a decent printer.

I won't get to help DD tomorrow either, because I will have to be at work. Just hope she doen't try lifting the baby by herself. DD is not allowed to lift anything over 15 pounds for 5 weeks, and little grandaughter weighs 20 pounds already, she will be eight months old next week. With her ear infection she wants to be held or walked with all the time.

Puss, I glad you had a marvelous time in Spain, sorry about the virus, never fails though. You certainly have been to many countries. I have only been out of the US once when we went to St. Lucia.

Sheila, we will have to see some more of pictures of your garden and yard. Our gardens are just getting started now. I bet it feels good to get back into your excercise routine.

Willow, hope you are feeling better, your new medication sounds like it is helping. Ugh to your doctor, you deserve better. We make a lot of rhubarb custard pies here and sometime combine strawberries with the rhubarb. DH loves rhubarb custard pie.

Charlotte, you are so sweet, thank you for remembering me with a message in your post too. I am glad we can be here for you, and for one another. Prayer is important and all encompassing and I know you do a lot of praying. All will be well. I wish your family happiness and peace.

Well, I gotta go guys, I am over tired and depressed and the best place for me is in bed.

Take care all of you.....

Bluet

Angel-lover
05-20-2004, 08:59 AM
http://media.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/2816/picture.jpg

Just a quick post today. I'm going to take one of my granddaughters for "just a day" for the two of us. I do that with them, when I can. I try to give them individual attention. Especially the three oldest that live close by. They'll be grown & gone before long. Amber is 11...graduated from 6th grade yesterday. Her sisters, Jessica (12) & Tasha (15) will be next. They had school today.

We're going to get our nails & hair done, eat lunch & do a little shopping! This is something I've done since they were little. They were so close in age, it was hard for me (with back problems) to handle all three...so one at a time. Then, when they got older, we started days out, instead of at my house playing.

My Remicade is starting to wear off. Had a very bad night. I get a treatment next Thursday....I'll just have to hold on until then. I take my Methotrexate shot tonight, so maybe that'll help me.

Bluet...I'm sorry you're depressed & feel bad. I know, only too well, that feeling. Get better.

Willow...Hope your doing better with your job.

I hope all of you have a good day. I'll try to post more tonight....if not, I'll be back tomorrow.

Sheila...You can get your signature at: http://www.quill-signatures.com/quill.html

Fatpuss...My goodness, you've been around! Must be an interesting life. :) Well, if our horse ranch was on TV....it would be a very miniature pastor with 4 horses. I suppose we could name it "Mini-Chapparel! :lol:
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20three/tn_butterfly23.gif

Sheila53
05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi, everyone--

Shoot, Bluet, I missed your first post--I'm so sorry! Sounds like you've been incredibly busy and very stressed. I hope you're taking good care of yourself, although if you're overtired and depressed it sounds like you need a break. I hope you can take sometime to yourself and relax soon.

Puss, has your DD been to the U.S. before? Please tell her that summer in San Francisco is cool, and Las Vegas will be burning hot so plan accordingly. People often go to San Francisco in the summer thinking it will be really warm, but the sea causes moisture that makes fog, and more often than not it's cool and foggy. But, hey, anything can happen so who knows? If she decides to come to Seattle, she and her BF are welcome here, and we'd be glad to take them sightseeing. Don't forget that July 4 is our Independence Day (I'm betting you learned about that in school, too. :) ), although I'm sure all the casinos, and wedding chapels, will be open. Yeah, a nice drive-through Elvis chapel sounds good right about now. Hey, rhubarb crumble sounds yummy.

Charlotte, "just the two of us" day sounds wonderful. You're creating such wonderful memories for those girls. I'm sorry to hear that your medication is wearing off. Chronic pain is such a bear.

My Dad had a colonoscopy done today. Getting ready for it is such a big ordeal, and even worse when you're almost 88. He was so funny when we went to his cubicle at the hospital to get him. He said they hadn't done anything yet. Since we watched them wheel him away, we knew he had, but he just didn't remember it. The nurse said the staff calls the medicine they give "milk of amnesia" and it was so true. We had to show him the pictures of his colon so that he could realize that he actually had the procedure done. On the way home, he saw a restaurant he likes and said he'd like to go there for dinner. My DH and I kind of looked at each other and said, okay, we'll see how you're doing at dinnertime. Dad says, "I'm fine!" Well, it's about dinnertime and I went in to see if he wanted to go out. He doesn't remember saying that, and he's definitely not feeling like going out. Just as we thought. He had two tiny benign polyps removed, but they did discover his muscles are really loose, which is why he's having some problems. Got a prescription for a gentle effective laxative and I'm going to secretly sprinkle his food with Benefiber (doctor said to) so we'll see if that helps. Okay, enough about that!!

Told my daughter today that she needed to start getting on the stick and doing some of the stuff I asked her to do with regard to her wedding. I never wanted to plan a big wedding, my own or hers, and I don't like having to make all the decisions for someone else's wedding. Too much responsibility--what if they don't like it?

My friend with the heart problems is going in on Tuesday to get her second defibrillator implanted. Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts. She's hoping to feel better soon. She's getting the three-pronged device, which is better than the two-pronged one they originally implanted so maybe the stray gauze was a blessing. The first one that they removed cost $38,000 so I wonder what this one will cost. I wonder if Medicare will collect from the bad surgery team who left in the gauze?!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Angel-lover
05-23-2004, 08:06 PM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/Greetz_24.gif

A beautiful Sunday evening here. Had a good day with my granddaughter...other than locking my keys in my car! Oh well...we just shopped while waiting for DH bring extra set of keys. :lol:

DH had his 55th birthday yesterday! Cooked him a special supper & a coconut cake. It's his favorite....always wanted fresh grated coconut. I'm not able to grate anymore, with my RA hands, but I think he likes the cakes...at least I make the effort. Poor thing, his first cousin died of a heart attack on his birthday yesterday...only 40 something. It was sudden & didn't even make it to the hospital. I felt sorry for DH trying to make a go of his evening after that. Now, we have a wake & a funeral the next 2 days that's a 2 hr drive one way. So, I won't be here for a couple of days.

Sheila
Glad your dad's colonoscopy turned out well. Yes, I've had a couple of them, & the amnesia stuff is amazing! I almost drove DH crazy the last time asking him what time it was when I was waking up. He kept saying 2 minutes later than the last time you asked. :^: The time before that....my neice drove me home, & I asked her to stop at a car dealership on the way home. My DH & I had been looking at a car & considering it....I had the salesman to draw up the papers, bring them to the car, & I signed them! It's been the best car we ever owned! :lol:
Keep pushing your daughter. Time for the wedding will be here, before you know it!

Hello Willow, Fatpuss, Bluet, Jacquie...have a great Sunday evening!
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20three/teddybearitchlt.gif

Sheila53
05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi, all!

I'm glad you had such a good time, Charlotte. Oh, man, locking your keys in the car--glad your DH was available. That definitely makes things memorable. What all did you end up doing? What a sad thing to happen on your DH's birthday. I'm so sorry. You know, it's kind of weird, but a good friend died on my mother's birthday (which is 9/11 by the way), and my mother died on the birthday of another friend. Makes birthdays rather bittersweet. Coconut cake--yum! You know, I've never had fresh coconut cake. Bet it tastes great, but I think the packages stuff tastes wonderful, too. Ha, ha, ha!! I wonder if you could have returned the car if it was a lemon, saying you were "under the influence" when you signed the papers!

Well, we had a great weekend. On Saturday, we did something we love doing. We went on a tour of 9 gardens in an older area of Seattle. So we got to see the outside of old houses, and we got to wander around people's yards. Wonderful! We talked with these two women who were so creative with their yard. They'd found some cobbler's forms made out of brass (or some metal), and used them as stepping stones in their yard--isn't that clever? Plus they'd set aside a corner of their backyard for a raised bed veggie garden, and they used old water troughs for the beds. Even though it was pouring down rain most of the time, we had such fun. On the way home, we were hoping that it was raining where we live, but it wasn't. Isn't that funny? Pouring down rain in one section of town, and nothing in another.

On Sunday we went to a nursery we hadn't visited before and found a bunch of stuff for the planter "boxes" on the side of our yard, plus I planted some more veggies. I found a dwarf cucumber that I ended up putting in a pot so I could put it in a sunnier area. So if everything works out all right, we'll have tomatoes, radishes, beets, carrots, beans and cucumbers plus some herbs. While we were at another nursery, the owner said something about putting down cardboard to get rid of the lawn area and then covering the cardboard with compost. We'd used newspaper in our front yard, but liked the cardboard idea a lot better. So this morning while we were walking the dog, we noticed that several people had set out cardboard moving boxes to be recycled. After we got home, we took the car and I hopped out and removed the boxes from the recycle (it's garbage/recycle day today) and put them in the trunk. I felt a little weird, but I figure the people were getting rid of the stuff anyway.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Some weird weather in places--hopefully nobody is affected by it.

Fatpuss
05-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Dear friends - just a quickie and I will get back with more tomorrow. Reason I am so exhausted is we adopted a pair of brother kittens aged 10 weeks at the weekend from the cat resucue centre and they have been running riot since they arrived. I swear having two babies within 11 months was easier than this, ha ha. So cute but energetic is not the word. DD leaves tomorrow evening leaving just me at home (DS left for London last night and DH left for a month in Azherbyjahn (?) this morning. I don't think I will need to diet with these two! Tons of fun they are but where they get the energy from for such tiny things I don't know.
I promise to read the mails I have missed and get back tomorrow. Willow, your warning couldn't have come at a better time - my vet warned me about anti freeze and I always wondered how on earth an animal would willingly drink it and now I know; it's logical if it is in cleaning fluid.
x

Fatpuss
05-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Dear Bluet, sounds like you are having a living nightmare right now with chaos in the office and your mind in turmoil worrying about your DD with the baby. If your DD is anything like you she will be very sensible and won't go against doctor's orders if only to save you from worrying about her. You can't be everywhere at once and can only attend one thing at a time. If I were to open a business I would poach you from your present company because you sound the most conscientious person I have ever heard of - just ask yourself this question, would your boss be as worried about you and your welfare as you are about his affairs? Please don't get so stressed that it pulls you down, nothing but a terminal diagnosis is worth hitting the deck over, everything else can be solved given time. I believe St Lucia is beautiful, I had a colleague in the 70s who had friends with a villa there and they used to go to visit often. Please consider your self during this hectic time - I know I am only echoing what your family are probably telling you already.
Angel - how prophetic are you posting those two little kitty logos before I got these little brothers? I think it's a wonderful idea you have giving each GD a day to themselves and doing 'glamorous' grown-up type activities. I never had a grandma but I would have loved to have had what you do with the girls. I am sorry that the Remicade is not lasting long again, I don't think people like me without ailments realise how very lucky we are compared to those who live with pain daily. I am such a wuss that I would be a right complainer if I had to put up with pain and discomfort and I know I would not be as cheerful as most you girls on this site. I had to laugh about your tale of buying a car whilst 'under the influence'! Thank heavens the salesman was not a dodgy dealer and the car turned out to be a good one. As for locking the key in the car, I did that with DHs years ago at a drive in carwash place 10 minutes before a potential buyer was due at the house to see it. I had to call out the rescue service we were members of and the chap opened the door via a clothes hanger down the window! How burglar proof was that? I was a little late getting back home but the man wanting to buy it wasn't put off and was pleased I had cleaned it ready for him. My DD would love your place with 4 horses and I think you should re-name it mini Chapperal, brilliant name. Happy belated 55th to your DH, but sad news about his cousin. Goes to show that we should all try to live each day like it is our last I suppose.
Sheila, Dad is wonderful, such a game old boy and what a loving and patient daughter you are with him. I had to smile at him not remembering he had had the procedure etc but I know it must get frustrating for you at times yet you are so caring - evidenced by you and Dhs patiently explaining to him over the fence and shed business. Bless him. I would take it as a great compliment that your DD trusts your good taste in letting you decide things over the wedding because at her age I know i wouldn't have liked my mother's taste. Thanks for the tip about San Francisco being chilly in Summer. My DD has not been to the US before but her boyfriend has and loves it. I told my daughter and she was glad of it. Seems they arrive on the afternoon of the 4th in Vegas so won't be much affected by it I guess. When she told my mother she said "oh, is that wise? Won't there be some anti-British feeling there on that day?" My father always said she remembered things he was supposed to have done wrong for years after but this is rediculous, ha ha. We like Americans in our family, when we were in a resaurant in Vietnam an awful British couple were being really loud (well she was, she was like Lady Muck being terribly, terribly British, my dear) and asking the waiter for something 'typically Hue" (district of Vietnam). The kids and I caught the eye of two men in their early 30s who could hardly contain their laughter and we got chatting to them. They turned out to be a gay couple who ran a restaurant in San Francisco called Peaches and they were really lovely guys. I had to assure them that not all Brits were so nightmareish, ha ha. Sounds like you had a good time garden viewing, I love other people's gardens. Like you I have some veg planted, 3 tomatoes of different variety, one cucumber, some red onions, few lettuce and a bell pepper. All very small scale in my greenhouse and not on your scale.
My DD left this evening to drive back up North and I will miss her. While she was home she washed her and my car, mowed the lawns, did the housework when I was at work and generally fussed round me like an old hen, such a sweet thing and a born doctor. She gets her final results on the 11th next month then she is fully qualified.
The kittens are lovely, they wear themselves and me out but they flop out asleep often while I clear up the messed up magazines, right the ornaments etc before they wake again. Great fun! I thought I would name them Frank and Jesse after the James gang but no one in the family agrees.
Willow I hope you are ok and not in too much pain right now. I thought of you tonight as I mopped the kitchen floor and found one of the kittens messing about with the mop afterwards. Although it was just washing up liquid I took no chances and put the mop out of reach.
SunnyD I know you are really busy right now but just stay well and post when you have the time.
Jacqui I hope you are ok and things are going well for you right now.
x

Sheila53
05-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Good afternoon, everyone!

Your kittens sound like such a handful, Puss, and such fun. What colors are they? Have you decided on names yet? I like Frank and Jesse--what did the rest of your family come up with since they didn't like that? Kittens are so much better in pairs, I think. They certainly entertain themselves well. Too well. . . When I lived in Idaho, I used to foster cats and kittens a lot. Every spring, summer and fall we'd have litter after litter of kittens. It was such fun to watch them grow. I'd have to take them back to the shelter at 8 weeks (or when I had my own rescue, I'd adopt them out then after they were neutered). People always would say, I'd want to keep them all, but I'd think, man, you've never had 5 kittens around all at once! :) Your daughter sounds like a jewel, by the way. Better keep that girl around.

Not much happening here. Our plants are happy because it's been raining all day, a nice drizzle, sometimes a heavier rain. We had a hard workout at water aerobics today. I love the fact that I'm working hard, but not sweating. Plus I get to take a shower there and have them pay for the water. The Y has great water pressure, too, so I just stand under the showerhead, turn it up as hot as I can stand it, and let the water hit my sore muscles. Normally I wouldn't be caught dead naked in a public shower, but most of these women are older, and a lot more saggy than me so I figure if they can do it, so can I.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Wednesday!

Fatpuss
05-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi to everyone.
Sheila I don't know how you had 5 kittens at once, where they inside the house? These guys are a pair of demolition men but tons of fun. I want to call on your experience here if I may; I don't want them to go onto the dining room table - everywhere else is fine (they are too little yet to reach the kitchen tops). I have been told that a spray (not a hose pipe!) of water will make them get the message better than me up and down by the minute telling them no and lifting them off (they just think it's a huge game). I don't want them to be frightened of me or to be inhibited so...over to you for advice please. My son is coming home tomorrow for the long weekend holiday (Monday is a Public Holiday for the 'workers') and I will get him to post photos from the new digital camera DH bought but which I can't fully use yet. They are tabby and a mix of black, beige and white. The bigger one whose face is fox-like we have named Foxy, and the little one who hasn't a shy bone in his body we have called Buster (told my son it's more like a dog's name but the lady who fostered him said she has had cats called Buster in before).
Glad your plants had a good soaking - not something we have a problem with in the UK, ha ha. Our trouble is having some sun in the summer time. Well done on continuing the water aerobics. I keep saying I must do something but I haven't the motivation at all lately. I came off HRT early April and although I haven't had any hot flushes etc I do think it made me more alert both mentally and physically. I backed into a concrete post yesterday and scratched the side of my car! Must get that touched up before DH comes home as I am always boasting that , unlike him, I have never had an accident since I passed my test at 17 ha ha, sneaky or what? I did the same with a brand new BMW years ago when he was away and paid the garage in untraceable cash. Is your dad looking forward to the wedding, Sheila? I am wondering what he will call his GDs husband if he calls your DH 'that fella' and your DS 'that other fella'. He is a grand man indeed and you sound like you are a devoted daughter.
I was conducting an audit yesterday and the MDs wife was there and she told me that her DD was 93 and has a 'floozie' of a lady friend in the nursing home. They call her a floozie in jest as she is "only 74" ha ha. This lady was showing me the scars from her knee replacement operations. She goes in hospital again tomorrow because she tripped on her DHs laptop and landed on the newest knee and dislodged it and has to have it done again. How painful must that be?? They want to re-locate to Spain as her arthritis is better in the warm weather. She was only 55 and a very cheerful lady, shame.
It's all very quiet on the Western Front here this week so I hope it's just lack of time to post with everyone and no one is ill. Best regards to everyone x

Sheila53
05-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Good evening!

Well, Puss, looks like it's just you and me. I hope Charlotte is doing okay after her treatment.

Yup, kittens are little demolitions teams, that's for sure. They can reduce a curtain to rags in a matter of minutes. Actually, I've had as many as 7 kittens at once, and as few as one (usually a bottlefed baby), but the average was about 5 at a time. I had a house that had a finished basement, and I put vinyl flooring in one room and some cat stuff and that became my cat room for the foster cats during their temporary stay. I keep all my own cats inside, too, although they have the run of the house. We have several incurable diseases that can be passed from cat-to-cat plus I used to work at a shelter and saw horrible things happen (cars, dogs, future serial killers). It made an indelible impression, I'm afraid. And, yes, the water spray is great advice. Try to do it unobstrusively so they associate the dining room table with the water spray. It's pretty darn effective if you are consistent. Hey, Foxy and Buster are great names! I'm looking forward to seeing their photos.

Hey, we have a holiday on Monday, too, although ours is Memorial Day. Our workers' holiday is in September. I think the Pacific Northwest and England are quite a bit alike weatherwise. I know that we can grow the same kinds of flowers as you do.

Ha ha! Have to laugh at how you stay "accident-free" in your car. Once your DH retires, you'll have a hard time putting anything past him. Hhhmm, don't know what my Dad would call a third guy in the house. Oh, when my other son comes to visit, he's called, "the guy with the little girl" because he has my granddaughter with him. Did I ever tell you that my Dad never addressed my grandmother by her name, or any name? When she visited or we went to her house, if he wanted to address her, he'd have to stand in front of her because he wouldn't say her name. Don't ask me why--nobody in the family has a clue, and now he insists he never did that. Selective memory in the aging. . .

Another soggy day. We made the treacherous one hour drive across town so I could go to the chiropractic neurology doctor. I think it may be helping my neck. I'm ever optimistic. I was able to ride home without holding my head up with my hands, and when we stopped at Starbucks, my DH said I looked almost normal walking into the store and back. I was darned excited to hear that!

My friend had her heart defibrillator put in on Tuesday and was home again on Wednesday. She has to take it easy for about three weeks, but, as her DH said, her mind and mouth both work! If I feel up to it (and I'm really hopeful that I will), we'll drive down there (about four hours) and surprise her. We'll stay in a hotel, though--I'm not going to surprise her that much!

Hope everyone is doing well this wet Thursday!

Angel-lover
05-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi everyone...
Woke up at 4 am & can't go back to sleep. Guess I've slept enough after two days. :^: I did fairly well. It was unhandy for anyone to drive me, this time, so I sneaked away on my own. Got scolded later. :o I only took a little of my meds that make me sleepy, though & told my nurse. She said if they had to give me more, they'd call DH to come get me....it's about a 45 minute drive. She said if I did ok, then I could take the rest of it when I got home. I got pretty sleepy going home, & it's around a 45 minute drive, so I stopped & got a milk shake to help keep me awake. BIG MISTAKE! Didn't go well with meds...got terribly sick at my stomach. Went straight to bed when I got home. DH & DS were working on the house & didn't know I was home. About an hour later, DH got worried & called my cell phone. I told him I was in the next room. :lol: On the good side...I lost 3 lbs! I had gained 5 lbs since Christmas, & was worried that my weight was going to creep back up! http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20three/scalestranslil.gif

Sounds like a good idea about the cats. Now...help me! DS got the girls a lab retriever when he moved in. This dog drags everything in the world into our yard. Even had the neighbors clothes, we had to take back home! :o Tears up things & scatters over the yard. Loves to bite at our feet...constantly. With RA, I can't stand that. Is there anything I/we can do?? Other than this, it is a great dog. Our grands can do anything in the world to him, with no negative response. I hate these habits, though, & would get rid of him in a minute, if DS would let me. I know....he's a retriever, & that's what they do...retrieve! But, it's getting rediculous...& my yard, & front door (his favorite spot) stays in a mess.

Sheila, you need to write a book about your dad. It would be a best-seller. :coffee: I know I stay interested in his activities. Thanks for the well wishes.

Fatpuss, I like the names you picked out for the cats!

Well, bad news for a couple of my granddaughters...13 & 15. One of their girlfriends died of Leukemia this week, while they were at cheerleader camp. Came back home to the sad news. Pray that I'll have comforting words for them. It's hard to find the right thing to say to girls that young.

Looks like we gotta look up Willow, again.....Hi Willow!!http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Hi.gif
Hi Bluet!!http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Helloooo.gif
Hi Jacquie!!http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Wave2.gif
http://media.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/940/1.gif

willow_1
05-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Good evening everyone!
I've been kinda keeping up with reading the posts, but I've been working a lot of overtime and haven't had enough time to do much of anything but work, come home and get ready for the next day and get to bed. Lots of falling asleep in the chair. :dz:

I've been doing fairly good with my hip, but I stepped wrong on that leg last Saturday when going downstairs and my hip and knee both hurt lke a son-of-a-monkey all week, but, it's slowly getting better.

Sheila, I agree with Charlotte. You should get on a newspaper and run a cartoon strip called simply, "DAD" and each day have a strip of what he said that day. It would be a smash hit.
I wonder what he'd think about being so popular with a bunch of women on the internet. :cool:

Puss, I don't envy you training TWO kittens. They are so blasted cute though when they're kittens. I had a brother and sister one time, SEBASTION and CLEOPATRA, and they were so funny! I'm not really crazy about cats myself, but my granddaughter wanted them so I got them and they ended up taking them with them when they moved. Sebastian started spraying at a very young age and he went to the vet in a hurry. ICK!!
And then I got my favorite,... a calico that I named MOUSE. She was so sweet natured.

Charlotte, I'm glad you're feeling better for a while now. But, you stinker! driving by yourself with those meds in you! That WAS funny though, your hubby calling you on the cell phone.
As for the dog, ... I'd put him in a kennel and only take him out while on a leash until he learns obedience. Does your son know how to leash train a dog? If not, he could take the dog to obedience school, which isn't very expensive. A kennel doesn't cost much, probably $75.00 to $100.00 for a 6 by 12 foot chain-link kennel at a home building supply place like Menards or such type stores. He'll have to do something soon or you'll be getting in trouble with the neighbors.

I worked today too from 5 AM until 1 PM. Now I have a week off. Two of my grand kids from the twin Cities might come and stay with me for a few days. That will be fun.

We've had so much rain lately that I haven't been able to mow the lawn and it's beginning to look like a jungle out there. My peonies have big buds on them now.

Hello to everyone else out there. Hope you all have a happy and safe holiday weekend.
See ya all later!

Sheila53
05-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh, Charlotte, you're so bad! I'm glad you made it home okay. That's funny about your DH calling you on the cell phone when you were in the next room. Congrats on the weight loss, although I hope it wasn't from feeling sick a lot. Not being able to enjoy a milkshake--now that's bad!

I have to agree that if the dog is outside all the time then a kennel is better than being loose (and the neighbors would thank you!). I do agree about the obedience training. Usually the dog has to have the full set of vaccinations before it can go to "school" and you didn't mention how old he is, but hopefully he's old enough. Even if he can't go to school, he can be trained. About the foot biting, when he does that, try yelping in a high pitched voice. Also, he needs lots of exercise, I mean LOTS of exercise. A tired dog is a good dog, and young sporting breeds require a lot of exercise. I taught all the puppies I fostered to fetch because fetching a ball is great exercise for them, and I could sit on the deck and throw without much effort. Here are a couple of websites with some good information that you can give your son.

http://www.dogmanners.com/articles.html
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/cwhindex.htm

Once your son gets a place of his own, tell him that he should keep the dog inside. Labs are people dogs and love to be inside with their people. It's quite a Catch-22 because dogs start out being unruly, then are banished to the backyard with the hope that they'll get better, but because they don't see humans often enough they get even worse when a human finally comes in the backyard, which keeps the humans away more. I've fostered tons of dogs of all ages, and it's pretty easy to teach them manners, but it does require patience and consistency.

Hey, Willow, glad to see you posting. Bummer about having to work so much, although I bet the extra money is nice. I'm glad you're getting a week off, and hope that your grandkids can come and visit. Know what you mean about a jungle--it's been raining here, too (and I'm quite happy about that!), so mowing goes out the window. I told my DH he should wait until he has a whole day to recuperate from mowing. It was cloudy most of today, but hasn't rained so maybe he can mow tomorrow and rest up all day Monday.

We did lots of errands today. So many that I made a list. We started with the UPS store where we sent my daughter's computer/monitor/keyboard to her at a cost of almost $250. Yikes! Why did I say I'd pay? While I was dealing with that, my DH got his hair cut, then we went to the used bookstore and traded in some books. After that we walked to the bakery and tried the wedding cake--chocolate with mocha filling and white frosting. I think we may go with this cake. It was really moist, quite tasty, and the right price. Did I mention that the kids chose the most expensive caterer, much to my dismay? So we have to cut some stuff out to stay within the budget. We went to another bakery that was supposed to be good, and discovered that a cake for 70 people would be $450. Who pays $450 for a cake, for heaven's sake?? I guess some people must, but not me! Then we went to Big Lots to get a new blender and handmixer because mine had given up the ghost a while ago. I'd love to get one of those smoothie makers because that's mostly what I use the blender for. After the discount store, we went to Trader Joe's, which has become my favorite grocery-type store. Great low points (Weight Watcher points) dinners like orange chicken and sweet/sour shrimp stirfry.

Have a safe and happy weekend!

Fatpuss
05-30-2004, 05:12 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the advice on the water/kittens, Sheila. It's half working already because when they do go on the dining table I only have to get hold of the spray and before I can activate it, they're off!! You are a wealth of info on dogs and cats so how about writing two books? DDad is so sweet with his little mannerisms but I know it can't always be easy for you. Loved the Grandma bit, bless him. Loved DHs comment about you looking 'almost normal' ha ha. Poor you, hope the treatment continues to help. The wedding cake sounds gorgeous but did you know the British wedding cakes are totally different? My good friend from California was amazed when I said our are always made of rich fruit cake i.e dark cake laden with sultanas, raisins, nuts and cherries and then marzipan on top and then royal (hard) icing. She said no one in the US would eat that kind of a cake at a wedding and I said ditto, people here would think a sponge wedding cake really weird here. Interesting difference eh?
Charlotte I love the scales icon! Sounds like you have had a rotten time medication-wise lately and you must have needed the sleep. Congrats on the 3lb loss and well done on only putting on 5lb since Xmas - I dare not tell you my gain! I loved the bit about the retriever retrieving though I know it's not funny really. How sad that your GDs friend died, tragic young age. My mother told me last night that my cousin's son died of cacer in his late 20s leaving a disabled child behind (seems the mother left him with the baby). I haven't seen my cousin and his wife in decades but he must be in his early 60s so not the best age to raise a little one, never mind lose a beloved son.
Willow - I didn't know you were back at work never mind working overtime! It's such a shame you didn't have a more sympathetic doctor and you are forced to carry on in pain. Good that you are having a week off and the GKs may come to stay - I love the company of young ones better than my own age, so fresh and enthusiastic. I am wondering what kind of climate you have Willow having your peonies out already.
I have DS and his girlfriend here for the long weekend - DS couldn't wait to see the kittens and just like the day we got them, he wears them out playing 'mouse' games and they flop out with exhaustion, so sweet. I dreamed of Alfie last night, I was thanking someone I didn't know for giving me a cup of tea and a slice of cake and after I said "thanks very much", Alfie repeated it and thanked them too!! How weird is that??? DS said some of his friends may be dropping by later for dinner "if that's ok" - daft statement because he knows I never mind, young men are really entertaining (in a nice way, I mean, ha ha!). I will be glad when the kittens get their vaccinations in 2 weeks and can venture out a little because I miss spending lots of time in the garden - I feel guilty leaving them indoors alone. Although we live in a quiet cul-de-sac and I am not worried about cars with them, there are lots of grown family cats around, including the mean one who used to beat up Alfie, but will they attack kittens? Also we have foxes going through gardens during the daytime occasionally. Advice please, Sheila if you don't mind about letting them out in the garden where they can get through the fence easily. I have a cat flap but they will need training to use it.

Angel-lover
05-30-2004, 03:59 PM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20four/flag_cross.gifBeautiful Sunday, here. DH is very sick with some kind of cold/flu. I had to go to church alone, this morning. I hate having to do that. Went to eat, afterwards, with Pastor & wife...took DH dinner home. Good to hear from all of you. I'm beginning to come to life....although, still weak.

Fatpuss
That was such a sweet dream you had about Alfie. :) Seems like Alfie was putting the approval on the kittens. They're fortunate to have such a loving home.
I hadn't heard of the difference in wedding cakes! Very unusual...but, I believe I would like them better. The cakes we use are more for looks, than taste. They are beautiful, though.

Sheila
Thanks for the websites. Believe me, I DO yelp in a high pitch voice! His teeth are sharp! :lol: Doesn't seem to matter to him, though. I'll tell DS what you said about keeping the dog inside....but, it's hard to imagine having a house left worth living in, once he even comes inside! :^:
You had asked me about his horses. At this time, they are still here. In fact DS has the girls out there now, riding the pony. He doesn't really have time to try to figure out a solution. DIL is giving all kinds of problems. Filing "contempt of court" for every little thing she can think of. Don't know if any of it will get anywhere. She's wanting expense money....we found out she just bought a new car! Guess she wants him to pay for it. :dizzy: I'm so tired of all this, wish something, somewhere could get resolved.

Willow
Thanks for the advice on the dog. I'll tell DS.
Please take care of yourself. My former Pastor's wife stepped off a sidewalk, & hurt her hip. She stays in pain. We understand you being busy. Do keep us updated when you can. :D

Hope everyone has a good holiday!!
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20four/memorialday4.gif

Fatpuss
05-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi Girls, just a quickie as DS is here showing me how to post these two photos of Foxy and Buster (hopefully, anyway).

Fatpuss
05-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Bluet, SunnyD and Jacqui
Hope you girls are all well and lack of time is the only thing keeping you away from us x

Angel-lover
05-31-2004, 11:02 AM
http://www.wtv-zone.com/ktrose/holidayfiles/hh/memsign1.gif

Memorial Day
is a patriotic holiday
in the United States. It is a day to honor
Americans who gave their lives
for their country, and is celebrated
as a legal holiday in most states.
This date was made a federal holiday by a
law that became effective in 1971
http://geckocountry.com/images/miaforget.jpg

WHAT IS A VETERAN?

A Veteran is someone who left hearth, home and loved ones behind, often at a young age, to protect our freedom.

A Veteran is someone who died in battle, far from home and is buried on foreign soil.

A Veteran is someone who crouched, terrified, in foxholes or trenches at The Front.

A Veteran is someone who landed on the beaches of Dieppe, Normandy and Juno and had little chance of surviving.

A Veteran is someone who was wounded, lost limbs, or was shell-shocked.

A Veteran is someone who spent months or years aboard a ship, far from home, to protect America from her enemies.

A Veteran is someone who was on a bomber over bullet-ridden skies, either as a pilot or a member of the crew.

A Veteran is someone who saved the lives of the wounded, whether a doctor, nurse, medic, or a member of his Platoon.

A Veteran is a member of the K9 Units who worked with our men overseas.

A Veteran is someone who spent years as a POW…many never came home. Some may be still alive, knowing they never will come home…wondering about mothers, wives and children.

A Veteran is someone who has been listed as MIA, but still lives in a foreign land, forgotten by his country.

A Veteran is someone who crawled through jungles and tunnels never knowing what lay around the next curve.

A Veteran is someone who is laid to rest as “Taps” drifts across a cemetery and guns sound in a salute.

A Veteran is someone in a Veteran’s hospital or old-age home who is not able to care for him/herself. Though they defended their country, they can no longer protect themselves from the physical and mental abuse inflicted by the staff or family members.

A Veteran is someone who once held his dying friend in his arms while wondering why the world was such a cruel place.

A Veteran is a nurse who held dying men in her arms and shed tears, even though she had never met him before in her life…she cried for the injustice of it all…the horror of it all and the senselessness of it all.

A Veteran is someone who wakes, screaming, in the night, his body drenched in sweat. He or she is remembering…dreaming of some atrocity witnessed in the course of war.

A Veteran is someone who marches in a parade, medals displayed proudly on his/her chest.

A Veteran is someone who marches in a parade with no medals displayed on his/her chest.

A Veteran is someone who never marches in a parade, has no medals, but knows that he did his/her duty and served their country proudly and to the best of their ability.

A Veteran is someone who enabled us to have everything we hold dear…equal opportunity, justice and liberty for all.

A Veteran is someone who we pay tribute to once a year. We stand at attention in silence for one (two in Canada this year) minute and thank him/her for what they have sacrificed. We should be ashamed.

A Veteran is someone who, when you see him/her on the street, you should walk up to, shake his or her hand and say, “Thank you.”

Have you hugged a Veteran today?
http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/memorial/images/memorialday6.gif

willow_1
06-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Hello everyone,
Today is one of my grandsons Birthdays. Gotta call him this afternoon when he gets home from school. He lives 3 hours away from me.

I found an awesome site that's all about transfats, what foods have them, etc. I guess it's a good testimonial for consuming only whole foods or else making your own so you know what is in them.

http://transfreeamerica.org/

Gotta go. I need to clean my bedroom. It's always the last to get cleaned. I suppose because nobody see's it.

Have a great day, all.

Sheila53
06-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Good morning!

Puss, what beautiful kittens! Their noses are so adorable. Thank DS for helping you post those photos. I'm not a great person to ask about cats going outside--I just think it's too dangerous, and cats can live just fine totally inside. But, with that said, I know that plenty of people let their cats outside (my parents' cat lived 20 years as an inside/outside cat), particularly in the UK. Unfortunately, the mean cat could make mincemeat out of your kittens. If you can have them out when you're out there and keep an eye on them, squirting them if they get too close to the fence, it can help to deter them from going too far. Also, have things for them to play with closer to the house or where you'll be. Have they been neutered yet? The earlier they are fixed, the less likely they are to roam although male cats, neutered or not, have a much larger territory than females.

Your cake sounds so rich and yummy. Do they decorate them up for special occasions like weddings? I love your dream. Do you ever try to trace them back to what you've been thinking or doing while you're awake? I sometimes do that. It's weird what our subconscious minds will do with stuff we've heard or read.

Charlotte, it sounds like the divorce is getting even messier than it was. I hope that the judge sees through her mind games and sets things right. My son was just telling me that his ex-wife thinks she might move to another state. If she does, then my son gets sole custody. He says while it might be a blessing since she keeps bugging him to do stuff around her place, it would be said for our GD to be without her mother. Since our GD can't travel, visitation could only happen if her mother came to where she is. Divorce is tough. I sometimes wish people had to take classes and pass a test to become parents. Hey, thanks for the Memorial Day information!

Willow, did your GKs come to visit from the Twin Cities? I hope so. Are you going to be able to see your GS today for his birthday? Three hours is quite a ways to drive, at least I think so. How old is he?

The parents of my daughter's fiance called on Sunday and we talked for over an hour. We decided to persuade the kids that having a wedding in December wasn't a good idea. I called yesterday, and I think I've made them come around to our thinking. The whole wedding thing was predicated on the fact that the guy said 40 people from Chicago would come. I was amazed, but he insisted it was true. His parents, however, said no way! So, we're thinking they'll get married in Norfolk in a small ceremony this summer. Now finding a date that the Navy will approve of is probably the hardest part. Then, for us, it's finding someone to stay with my Dad. I was supposed to go to Chicago at the end of this month, but we had to cancel because we couldn't find a Dadsitter. I'm so glad to be getting out of planning this wedding--you have no idea!

Hope everyone had a good holiday. My grandmother used to go to the cemetery every Memorial Day. Now she's there herself and there's no-one around to carry on that tradition. So, instead, on Memorial Day I think of all the relatives who are buried there (Red Bluff, CA).

Say, did any of you see the TV movie "Ike: Countdown to D-Day" last night? It was on A&E. It really captivated me, and I'm not much for war movies. Although it was about war, it didn't have any battle scenes, just showed what went into planning D-Day. Very interesting piece of work.

Have a great Tuesday!

Fatpuss
06-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone,
Angel I hope your DH is feeling better now and glad that you are feeling better too. I suppose your condition and the treatment is bound to knock you for six as it must be powerful stuff in the doses you need. Your poor son sounds like it's only just begining with is partner's demands. Sheila's DS too in a quandry over little beaut GD not seeing much of her mum if she moves. Such a shame when divorce is not straightforward.
Sheila thanks for the advice on the kittys. I will set a date with the vet when i get their vaccinations started next week. I have never let any of my previous cats out once it gets dark - I think most of the real damage gets done during the night. I will do as you say over keeping them in the garden until they are grown - if possible because the little one just scoots like a rocket and away he goes. I had a right mangy fox in the garden this afternoon cutting through to next door and he was all set to come across the lawn area until I banged on the window. I will have to be with the kittens outside and lock them in when I am at work until they are big lads who can look after themselves. If I lived in the US I would love to dad sit for you, I am sure we would have a good time.
Willow I will check that website out - I surpassed myself over the weekend with high fat low goodness foods and tried to be better today. It's a shame that your DGS lives 3
hours drive away - gone are the days when all our kin folk lived in the same neighbourhood which is why there are so many social problems according to the doctors etc. Hope DGS had a good day.
Greetings to SunnyD, Bluet and Jacquie - hope you are all well. x

Angel-lover
06-02-2004, 10:58 AM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/awwwww.jpg
Fatpuss!
Those kittens are soooo sweet! Glad DS helped you out. DH is getting better, thanks. Not 100% yet. I've been advised that spraying the puppy with one part vinegar & 7 parts water will teach him to stay away from my feet. I hope it works. Only thing, I can't sit up at night & wait for him to drag things up in the yard to break him from that! :p

Sheila
Glad you're getting help with the wedding. I know it gave you a lot of relief. sounds like you & the DD's in-laws are going to get along well.
I hope everything works out for your DS in the custody situation.
How's your garden looking? They start putting the roof on our house today. We've had to wait for rains to stop. Hopefully, it is finally happening.

Willow
Thanks for the website...already checked it out, but will return again. You sound a little more cheerful these days...hope so.

I don't like being in a hurry...but, have to work today, so short on time. Hello to Jacquie, Bluet, & SunnyD
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/hugs.bmp

willow_1
06-02-2004, 11:33 AM
I can't believe it! The sun is shining here today! Maybe I can mow my lawn today, FINALLY!

I sure wish I could go swimming, but no place to go except the mississippi river, and I'm not up to that these days ... Yes, there is a pool at the Y, but I work days and they don't always have open pool in the evenings, so the times they DO have it available and my hours don't mesh very often, so it's not worth my money to buy a membership for so little use.
There IS a motel in town that sells swim passes from November 1st through May, 15th and I did that last year except for when my hip was so bad I couldn't walk on it. I will definitely buy passes again this fall, IF they are still doing that.
You know, there are always a few who ruin it for everyone else. They caught a couple people not signing in when they used the pool, which extended their passes. (You get 30 swims for $40.00, or 20 swims for $25.00) You have to sign the register every time you use the pool so they can keep track of how many times you've used it. I love the place because they also have a huge hot tub and a dry sauna and you can shower there when you're done.

I got my house cleaned yesterday except for my kitchen, dining room and bathroom floors, and I only need to damp mop them. It felt good to sleep in my nice cleaned bedroom last night. Not that it was REAL dirty or anything, but it just is psychological I guess, sleeping better in a freshly cleaned room.

Today I get my eyes examined and I'll have to have my son take me and pick me up because they are going to dilate them and you can't drive afterwards.
I haven't had an exam in about 2 years and I think I need a new prescription because my left lid has been twitching a lot for about 3 months now.

Have a good day.

willow_1
06-03-2004, 10:48 AM
I can't believe how fast this week is going by. Always so when you're on vacation, though.

I never did get around to mowing my lawn yesterday, so maybe today.

Had my eye exam yesterday and both eyes have changed since last March
(2003) but the left more than the right.
The eye Dr said the twitching may be from strain, but most likely is
from stress, .... and guess what? My face has twitched a couple of
times on that side too,.... down near my mouth. :rolleyes:

My present weight loss plan is going good so far. Did I tell you all
that I weighed myself the other day then put the scales away and I'm
not going to weigh myself anymore, .... for a long time? I re-joined
TOPS a couple weeks ago and I'm going to tell the weight recorder not
to tell me what I weigh, just to tell me if I went up or down, but
not how much. ........ Until I've lost 50 pounds. Then, I'll do the
same thing for the next 50. I'll go by how my clothes fit and how I
feel. I think I get too frustrated with those damned numbers.

I bought a couple bungee cords yesterday and today I'm going to the
hardware store and getting a couple handles, you know, the type you
use for a lawn mower cord or a boat motor? And I'm going to make
myself some work-out bands. A couple for my arms and a couple for my
legs and to fasten to a bracket in a wall to use for shoulders etc.
The bungee cords only cost $2.69 apiece and to buy the brand name
stuff costs about $10.00 to $15.00 apiece.

Well, folks, I need to move on and check and answer other emails etc.
Everybody have a good day. Hope all is well with all of you. .....

Sheila53
06-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Just stopping in to say hello.

We're putting our old dog to sleep this afternoon so I'm feeling a bit low. Bought her some chicken strips from KFC (first time she's really eaten in a while), and we're taking her to the beach before we go to the vet. We got her when she was four, and she's been an incredible companion for the last 13 years.

I will try to check back tomorrow.

willow_1
06-03-2004, 05:52 PM
If only they could live forever, or until after we're gone.
Big hugs to you. :grouphug:

Angel-lover
06-03-2004, 11:09 PM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/helloflowersandbutterflies.jpg
Well...I became a Senior Citizen today (55)....guess I'm a little depressed. Had a good day, although I had to work on a day that's normally my "off" day.

Sheila...I'm so sorry about your dog. I know how that is & how it hurts. I'm thinking of you.

Willow...sounds like you worked during your whole vacation. I guess it's nice to get a few things done at home, though. My eye & mouth twitches sometimes too, Willow. It scares DH when I do that. I've noticed it's mostly when I'm under stress. DH is afraid it's a sign of stroke.

Hello to everyone....
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20four/ButterflyHugs_SC.gif

Angel-lover
06-06-2004, 08:41 AM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/Goodmorningcurlers.jpg
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20four/eyore.gif

Where is everybody?

Am I all alone???

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20one/miss_you_1.bmp

Please hurry back!

willow_1
06-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Well, I guess I'm gonna survive the company. But just barely!

I have a whole slew of my grandkids here (7 of them) and a little
while ago one of them was giving me a hard time about being quiet and
not watching the movie.
They wanted to sleep on the living room floor and I told them they
would have to be quiet or I'd turn the movie off. They were up late
last night and their Dad's said they had to go to bed earlier
tonight. Their Dads are out on the town tonight.
Anyway, he was horsing around and talking and getting up to look out
the window and just being a little bugger. (He's 7 yrs old as of June
1st.)
I stepped over all of them to get to the window to close the blinds
and as I turned to step back over one of them, my foot caught on a
pillow and I heard my knee snap and I fell on my bad hip.
Well, they were all scared, but I finally got up and when I step on
it now, it feels like my knee is trying to bend sideways.

The kids all felt like it was their fault except the little puke who
was doing all the mischief! LOL!! I assured them it was nobodys
fault, just an accident.

My one son told me that when they were on their way down here from
the Twin Cities yesterday, his little girl Taylor (5 yrs old) asked
him "how old is Grandma?" He said, "Oh, about 21 I guess." Then my
grandson Brandon (8 yrs old) said, "No way! She wouldn't be that
wrinkled if she was only 21!"

I must have been one pretty sight going down! Like a hippo doing some
kind of crazy dance! I'm just glad I didn't land on one of the kids
and squish them!

I made scrambled eggs and sausages and waffles and had a big bowl of fresh fruit for breakfast both mornings.
These kids are all good eaters, and now they're outside wearing it off.
They'll be going home today and then it will be too quiet around here.

I hope everyone is doing well. Have a great day!

Angel-lover
06-06-2004, 05:13 PM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20four/Flies_away.gif

Willow...I am so sorry you fell! I certainly hope you haven't done a lot of damage. Be sure & get checked out as soon as you can. I know, until then, you were enjoying all those grands! The 7 yr old almost had the same B'day as me! He sounds like a character. :lol:

I haven't gotten much rest the last few days. So glad the Remicade kicked in. DH, BIL, DS, & SIL are all putting the trusses on the house for the roof. I've been cooking & carrying drinks to them all continally. I don't mind...but, do get tired. Wish I had the strength I used to have. I'll be posting me pics soon. They got the first one almost on, when it started raining really hard. They couldn't stop at that point, so they all got soaked! :^:

Just wanted to stop by & say hello & hope you're feeling better. Hi to Fatpuss, Sheila, Bluet, & Jacquie.http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Group-Hug.gif
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20one/lotsoflove.bmp

willow_1
06-07-2004, 06:42 AM
Well, it's back to the old grind again today. I hope if they want me
to work overtime that it's in the afternoon instead of in the
mornings.
I want to put a picture window in my living room and I guess I'll
have to work extra hours for it, but I hate getting up so early to go
to work.

I'm back on my good foods as of this morning. Hope I can stick to it
now. It's almost impossible to make myself behave when my sons ask
for stuff like goulash and tater tot hot dish. Although I TRIED to be
careful with portions.

Everybody have a nice day today. .....

Sheila53
06-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Hello!

Oh, Charlotte, you're not a senior citizen! You still don't get the good discounts. :) You gotta wait another decade to be a "real" senior. I hope that you had a good birthday despite thinking you're a senior. Roofing in the rain--doesn't sound like much fun, but I'm so glad that they're getting it done. I know exactly what you mean about wishing you had the same strength you used to have. I really hate seeing my DH do all the work when I used to do it right alongside him. I bet your family was glad to have all that food and drink available.

Wow, seven grandchildren at one time! I'm pretty sure I couldn't deal with it, but it sounds like you enjoy it, Willow. How is your knee today? What a stinker that little grandson is! Brandon sounds like a pretty smart little boy--bet he comes up with some other good lines. Is he the one whose photo you posted one time? So, is the picture window a replacement window or something new and you'll have to cut a hole in the wall? I'm thinking a picture window is just a really big window. Is that right, or is it a special type of window? We have a huge window in our living room that looks out over the front yard and Mt. Rainier in the background. I've always called that a picture window.

My DH and I went away for the weekend and left my son in charge of my Dad. My DS fell asleep on Sunday after he'd cooked lunch and didn't call my Dad to come and eat. So my Dad just took off without his lunch. Not the best thing for him to do since 1) he's diabetic, and 2) he likes to go to the bar on Sunday afternoons. Other than that little screw-up, my son did a good job. At least, the house didn't burn down, and my Dad is okay so I call it a good job. We stayed on the third floor of a hotel in an old Victorian building. Got quite the exercise just getting to the room. It had a jacuzzi tub, which is something I always look for. No shower, though, so we had an interesting time washing our hair the next day. I ended up on my hands and knees in the tub putting my head under the faucet, and my DH said he just laid down on his back with his head under the faucet. We had a fun time going to look at historic houses and building plus eating at a great restaurant on the water. It was good to get away after a hard week.

I hope everyone is doing well on what is a cloudy and somewhat rainy Monday in my part of the U.S.

willow_1
06-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Charlotte, I'm glad the meds kicked in for you. Sounds like your home remodeling is coming along nicely. That will be so nice to get it done.

Sheila, glad you could get away for a weekend. You deserve it after all you've been doing with wedding plans, etc. Sounds like a lovely place to stay, and Dad and "that other guy" survived it too! :lol:

Yes, the picture window I spoke of is exactly what you described, and it's not a replacement. I'll need to have the opening made for it. I want to put a couple more in too.

I worked overtime yesterday, until 5 pm, gave a co-worker a ride home, came home and fixed a salad for my supper but decided to take out the trash before I ate because it was so full, and my knee that I injured Sat. night gave out and I fell off the top step and broke my wrist. You know, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.
At first, I couldn't even get up, but thank all that is holy, I had my cell phone in my pocket yet, and called my daughter-in-law. I did manage to get up and into the house while talking to her on the cell phone though.
I'm really sore all over my body today, but my back hurts in one spot.

I have a splint on it until the swelling goes down, and then in 7 to 10 days, I have to see an orthopedic surgeon and the ER Dr. said there is a 90% certainty that I'll have to have a cast on it. He said these usually take about 5 to 6 weeks to heal.
He also said the ortho DR will have to do an MRI to see why that knee always gives out. I fell twice at home here and I fell going up the steps at work yesterday but caught myself on my hands that time.

my 15-yr old granddaughter stayed overnight last night and helped me get my chin strap fastened that I have to use with my cpap machine. She's such a little sweetheart!

The sun is shining here today, so far anyway. They had predicted severe storms for this area after midnight last night, but nothing so far.

I'm going to make this short because I'm typing with one hand, and it sure takes a lot longer when you have to hunt and peck!

Guess I better get a good book.

Everybody have a nice day. I'll be back!

Fatpuss
06-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Oh, Sheila, I am so sorry about your poor dog, it's awful and I know you have been through it before but it hurts just the same each time. x
Angel - happy belated 55 th. Are you classed as senior citizen in the US at that age??? you have to be 60 for a woman and 65 for a man over here before getting your free senior bus pass.
Willow - you sound your usual busy busy self - don't over do it, will you?
This is just a quickie as I am shattered and must go to bed. My brother and nephew came last week from the north to stay as it was kids holiday week - they wanted to take the kittens back with them, ha ha. Last night i had a friend in need over for dinnder - seems like his company are trying to force him out.
will check back tomorrow hopefully,
x
PS Bluet and SunnyD I miss you both and hope you are ok.x

SunnyD57
06-08-2004, 07:48 PM
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SunnyD57/Angels/Cats/Zeppe_1.jpg

Hello Ladies!!

*SHEILA*
I thought I would check in and see how everyone is doing and was so sad to hear that you had to put your pup to sleep :cry: I am so very sorry!!!! :grouphug: I am sending you big warm hugs... when my pets pass on it stays with me for a long time. I think it was good that you got away like you did, but do allow yourself to grieve her... she was your family member... she was a beautiful dog, Sheila. My heart goes out to you.

*WILLOW*
Ouuuch :faint: that had to really hurt - I am so sorry to hear that you broke your wrist. I bet that you felt that fall all over your body by that evening & the next morning! I do hope you feel better real soon, Willow.

*PUSS*
You got some new kittens!!!!
They are Beautiful!!!!!!! I love their markings & their names!!! I hope you continue to post pics as they grow... I will check in when I am able to ;) I am doing well now... I was very ill for a bit there. But all better now. I just got my hair cut and colored - if you go to MY PUBLIC PROFILE you will see a new picture of me with my new do :D Thank you so much for asking about me, Puss... you are precious! I did get your PM, but then became ill and forgot to let you know --- my bad, I am sorry :sorry:

Hey there *ANGEL*
Hope you are doing well...

*~*~*

Yesterday: Someone in our church requested that Joe & I sing for their funeral... well, we were SHOCKED when we went on Monday morning to sing and found out that it was a friend of ours from church! We don't get the name of the person whom passed till we get there - that hour before the service we found out... what a bummer!! He was only 79yrs old and died of a massive stroke - very sudden. I had just seen him on the Sunday before and he looked good! All smiles... In fact, just two weeks before he had some surgery (not related to his death) and we (he & his wife - me & Peggy) were in the middle of the grocery store isle and he had to show me his boo boo - he was adorable! We would only see he & his wife, Ann, in church most times... but had really grown to love them both! Hank would always have his arms out for a hug from me on Sunday mornings. I will miss them both - because she does not drive I don't know that she'll be able to come to church again unless her children bring her (I hope!). Joe & I have to be there wayyy too early on Sundays's to go get her ourselves (because we sing and have to set up). Anyway, I will miss his smiles and winks that were *just for me* terribly! I have felt so sad---even though I know he is with the Lord...

Today: I went in for my yearly mammogram - oooooooo :o that is uncomfortable! I am so glad it's done for the year. Otherwise, all is well with me & the hubby. We have been very busy in our gardens this Spring and loving it.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SunnyD57/Angels/Misc/Our_Home_1.jpg

Pictured above is our new arbor for our sidewalk to our front door... During the summer Joe & I are out & about allot more, so that's why I will not be posting too often... but I WILL check in once in awhile - I promise ;)

*Thinking of you all with big warm {{{Hugs}}} :grouphug:*
Always,
:sunny: SunnyD <><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Angel-lover
06-08-2004, 07:54 PM
http://media.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/2522/happysun2.gif
Hi Everybody...It's a hot day here today...93 degrees! Poor DH, DS, & SIL are working out in all this heat! Putting trusses on house...as we speak. There was several here working, Saturday & Sunday. Poor guys...it rained on them Sunday, & the bathroom & hallway went to leaking really bad. Needed an umbrella to use the bathroom. :lol: I'll have to show more pics, soon. :D

Fatpuss...We are senior citizen's at 65, but can get discounts, like at the restaurants, free banking, etc at 55. So, in one way it's at 55, then in another, it's 65. :dizzy: Sorry about your kitties..I know you were growing attached to them.

Willow...it's good that you have a daughter-in-law & granddaughter to help you. Hope you get better soon.

Sheila...I'm glad you & DH got to get away for a couple of days. Not bad job DS did! Maybe you can try that again, sometime.

Well...very tired. Men need something to drink. Talk to you all later.
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/BeHappy.gif

SunnyD57
06-08-2004, 08:06 PM
*PUSS*
After reading Charlotte's post - I reread your last post, but am still not sure if the -haha- you posted was that they did take them back or they weren't taking them from you cuz you wouldn't let them? Now... that is a bummer if they took them back! I would have drawn the line there and told them "no way!" Did they give them to you and then take them back? I am bummed for you if that is so.

*ANGEL*
We went up to 90* here and it is very humid - sultry. I couldn't imagine having to work in it! Hope it all turns out well.

:sunny: SunnyD <><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Angel-lover
06-09-2004, 09:45 AM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/crazylady.gif

Well, now...I'm mixed up, too!! :^: SunnyD...you & I must have been posting at the same time yesterday! Now, I too, wonder if the kittys stayed or left. :dizzy: Fatpuss...you gotta straighten us up on this! I hope you got to keep them.

Hope all of you have a good day!http://media.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/921/2.jpg

willow_1
06-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm betting that Puss still has the kitties. I bet her brother and Nephew were teasing her about taking the kitties back. He's too nice a brother to do that to you, right, Puss?

Nice to hear from you again Sunny.

Hello Charlotte. Get some rest!

Actually, it's early afternoon, but I slept late and have been writing checks for bills. I bet they're going to think I was drunk when I wrote them!
Looks like chicken scratching!

It stormed here most of the night, and the electricity went out once, but nothing real severe. It rained most of the morning too, and it's suppose to storm every day this week. I hope it's just the garden variety thunderstorms on Friday, because I have to travel a ways to the ortho surgeon that day.

Slept pretty good last night. Didn't go to bed until 1:30 AM and slept till after 8 AM. Took a pain pill before bed. It's sore today, but as long as I don't use it, I can tolerate the soreness.

My beautiful daughter-in-law is going to go to the store and pick up some healthy foods that are easy to make, one-handed. She's such a lovey. She came up again last night and checked to see if I had any dishes to do or needed anything.
I can't get used to not doing what I want when I want.

Everybody have a wonderful day. I got this recipe this morning. Haven't tried it yet, but will as soon as I can. I think it sounds good, and I think I'm going to use Splenda instead of the brown sugar.
These muffins are just as delicious and moist as regular muffins! They'll be gone before they have time to cool. Low-fat, healthy and yummy, imagine that.

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
Makes: 12 muffins

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners. Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries. Scoop into muffin cups.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.

Nutrition facts (per serving): Calories (kcal) 123
Protein 4g Total Fat 1g
Carbohydrates 29g Fiber 5g

Cals from Protein 10% Cals from Carbohydrates 82%

Cals from Fat 6% Cholesterol 19mg
Sodium 245mg

Jacquie
06-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi all!

Sorry I have been gone for so long!

Things have been really crazy the last while. DH was in the hosp. with his back problems. Then my MIL fell and had a heart attack and we were at the hosp. again every day for three weeks while she hovered between life and death. My SIL also arrived from AZ so we have had company for the past month as well.
MIL has since bounced back..... like a cat with nine lives ....but we moved her into a nursing home today. We have been trying to do that for the past several years as there is no way she should have been living on her own.
In between all that my DM was not doing very well ( has since recovered quite nicely) and I also had my 2 grand daughters for 10 days !!
Needless to say I haven't had time to be online....or even check my email for that matter.
Hopefully everything will settle down now and I can get caught up with all the latest happenings.

I just want you all to know I haven't forgotten you ....I have been thinking about you even though I haven't had the time to post.

Talk to you again soon!

Jacquie

Angel-lover
06-09-2004, 08:51 PM
http://media.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/1383/1.gif

Jacquie

Just remember...we're here waiting, when you get a chance to post. Sorry you've been through so much. Please, take care of yourself.
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/Charlotte1.gif

Angel-lover
06-10-2004, 09:00 AM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/poohballoon.gif
Willow...I like your Winnie The Poo quote in your signature. Been meaning to tell you.
You have such a sweet DIL. It must mean you're a good MIL! Sure hope your hip gets better soon.
Today is my day off. Going to go get my hair cut & body perm put in. I went Tuesday & had my nails done. Had my nails put on a little longer, this time. I'ml having a hard time getting used to them...but they are pretty! ;) I always kept them really short, because I couldn't do anything with them hardly, with RA. Now, I'm spoiled! :lol:

Gotta go. Hope you're doing well, Sheila. It's been a couple of days since we heard from you....give us a post! :D

Hi Fatpuss!

Hi Bluet!
Everyone have a good day.
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/spring.gif

willow_1
06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
DO NOT POST HERE. COME JOIN US AT "OVER 50 AND GETTING HEALTHY # 15.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=601628#post601628