Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default moving and groovin Exercise April 19-25

hi everyone... well.. no cardio for me today. im completely worn out. will try to do weights this afternoon. adn if i feel up to it, i'll take a swim as well.

gotta scoot...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:38 PM   #2  
Meg

Pookie asks: When you first went to the gym was it embarrassing for you?

YES! YES! YES! Walking into the gym weighing 257 pounds was one of the HARDEST things I've ever done in my life! (of course, in retrospect, it's one of the BEST things I've done in my life). I was SO self-conscious about my size and convinced that everyone was staring at me and my huge butt. I didn't fit on some of the equipment and had no idea what I was doing. It was as if I had landed on an alien planet. It took every bit of self-discipline that I had not to turn and run.

What made it work was that I signed up with one of the personal trainers there so that I could learn how to exercise and use the equipment. I had never exercised in my life other than walking so I was clueless about lifting weights and cardio. Having an appointment there with the trainer made me show up and he made me feel comfortable and a little more confident about what I was doing. He told me that I had as much right to be there as anyone else (and of course he was right).

Here's the most important thing that I learned -- everyone in a gym is so busy paying attention to what they're doing that they're not watching you at all. And if they do notice you, they think it's wonderful that you're heavy and working out. Because you're not home on the couch, eating Doritos, like too many others. Instead, you're in there, sweating, trying to improve yourself. I NEVER heard anything rude or disrespectful or unkind from anyone. Instead, I got tons of encouragement and compliments from the gym regulars as I was losing. Even the big scary guys with their big dumbbells would come over and tell me I was doing a great job.

I hope Jiff chimes in with her gym experiences and I'm going to ask Jack-150 to pop in and tell you his story. He joined my gym at well over 400 pounds and has lost more than 160 to date.

Don't give another thought to those thin ladies in their spandex. Anyway, how do you know that they didn't used to weigh 300 pounds?? Pookie, I wish I lived next door to you because I would march right over and take you by the hand and take you to the gym with me!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:04 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I noticed that our Megster posted here so I couldn't resist adding my two cents.

YES to everything Meg said! For God's sake, DON'T be afraid of going to the gym!! If only I could take an overhead snapshot of a typical morning in *my* gym - there are ALL sorts of folks there - young, old (actually, a LOT of oldsters), obese, fat, muscular, skinny...they run the gamut. And NOONE talks about anyone else or points fingers or looks at them funny (unless, of course, there's a line for the cardio machines and there's someone who's been on a machine for longer than the "30-minutes when other people are waiting").

In fact, let me give you some advice on HOW to be looked at and talked about in the gym:

* Not bringing a towel and wiping down the equipment
* Leaving old newspapers strewn around the floor
* Peeing in the shower (okay, had to add that from Seinfeld )
* Hogging a machine for longer than 30 minutes when others are waiting (worse yet - hogging a machine and NOT working out, but having a little chat on your cell phone or with the person next to you or whatever)
* Grabbing a weight bench, then getting all the 'good' dumbbells that you're planning on using for 8 sets gathered around you, hogging them from others who are waiting to use those same dumbbells
* Leaving empty bottles or cans all over the weight floor
* Not putting the weights back from whence they came
* Wearing a whole bunch of stinky perfume or cologne to the gym
* Not wearing deodorant to the gym (I really don't know what's worse...too much cologne or no deodorant! Bleagh!)

Of course, Meg and I NEVER EVER EVER do any of this stuff. Right, Meg???

Anyway, Pookster, ya need to seriously check out a gym. All the big chains (Gold's, World, 24 Hour Fitness) have coupons on their site for a free week or so. Of course, that means you'll get THE BIG SELL your first time in, but at least you'll have time to check out the facilities...give it a chance - try it, you'll like it!!!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #4  

Hi! Walked for 10 minutes today, and didn't take a nap after! LOL--I did collapse on the couch for a while....Thanks!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:13 PM   #5  

I can't say I was embarrassed, as I've been in gyms before, but I did make a point of being sensitive to the "vibe." Different gyms have very different institutional "personalities," and it does help if you get a good fit. It's like finding a church or a school. I personally like a very low-key, non-bureaucratic, laid back atmosphere, a quiet place-- and that's what I found. Other people want lots of hard pumping music, like a disco, because it gives them energy. Many people are into the classes, and not so much into the equipment. And yes, it can be a social scene for the singles crowd especially. Nothing wrong with that. Moms appreciate a family atmosphere with child care and classes for kids.

I'd say go to a few, and get a short-term pass to use the gym for a day or a week. Try it out at different times to get a feel for the place. Is it clean? How's the smell-- sweat is inevitable, but moldy/mildewed is not o.k. Does it have the facilities you want? Are people nice, or pushy? Is it crowded at the times you need it? Does it feel safe, e.g. well-lit parkiing lot, not a dangerous neighborhood? Is the equipment well-cared for, clean, oiled, calibrated, no wobbling, excessive squeaking, no ripped seats? Can you live with the price, both monthly and the initial fee?

After you go to a couple of gyms, you might want to mull over the experience before you sign any contract-- pick the contract up with your short-term pass, and read it at home. You don't want to stand there, frantically skimming legal material while a salesperson breathes down your neck.

That's all I can think of for now. I'd say once you choose a gym, try to relax, get a sound safety orientation to the equipment, learn the basic rules and etiquette, and then just start, slowly and very gently. Just breathe, you can do it. Go Pookie!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Here's the most important thing that I learned -- everyone in a gym is so busy paying attention to what they're doing that they're not watching you at all. And if they do notice you, they think it's wonderful that you're heavy and working out. Because you're not home on the couch, eating Doritos, like too many others. Instead, you're in there, sweating, trying to improve yourself. I NEVER heard anything rude or disrespectful or unkind from anyone. Instead, I got tons of encouragement and compliments from the gym regulars as I was losing. Even the big scary guys with their big dumbbells would come over and tell me I was doing a great job.

Meg said it all there Pook.... NO ONE will say a word, respect is what you will gain for yourself and from others... specially when everyone sees the weight peeling away.....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:25 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-150
Listen to Meg and Mrs. Jim. Except don't wear deodorant to the gym!
Aaaccck!!! Eeeeekkkk!!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:47 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

Default ggeeezzz!!!!!

look at all the cheerleaders we have here today!!!!!

and apologies for not sticky-ing the thread this morning, folks. work got in the way.

and no gym for me tonight. i'm just still waaayyyy too worn out. i simply did the basics this evening with my lovely big ball. 65 sit ups. 45 push ups. hamstring/quad squats.

early to bed for me!!! tomorrow will be better.

and congrats to all of you for moving.. and especially to misty for

4 CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF MOVING!!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:07 PM   #9  
Hang In There

Pookie you have had a lot of good advice. I agree with all of it. I take my almost 300 pound body to the health club 5 days a week and I feel right at home, and I work my little heart out, and know that I'm doing it for me, and not caring what anyone else thinks. But I agree that no one pays any attention to you in a negative way. Everyone is very encouraging and helpful and they do miss you if you are not there.

A few weeks ago when I was not feeling well, I missed almost two weeks and I had one lady call me at home and one lady came by my office because she said everyone knew something must be wrong with me, or I'd be there, and they didn;t even know my last name, but this lady remembered where I worked. That really made me feel good.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

<sigh> so much responsibility, so little time!!!!

so far today, a 45 minute walk.

gotta go . love you all
Old 04-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #11  

Hi! I made it 15 minutes walking today, I'm ready to collapse now, lol.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:02 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

more exercise!!!! made it to the gym.. 15 minute warmup on the elliptical. no injuries either!!

and then almost 2 hours of weights and some stretching.

felt good!!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 08:53 AM   #13  

Thanks Pookie, but I feel rotten this morning, hope I can walk later, don't feel like it right now, thinking of crawling back into bed... I have a gazelle too, but have never been on it longer then a minute, lol. It seems like it will be fun, but with my leg, they rub together right now, and it hurts so I cant do it. It's collecting dust in my family room. I will use it someday! Do you enjoy it?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:49 PM   #14  

Wow what a busy week. It's Wednesday and I have not been on this web site since Sunday! I made it to the gym two nights so far. I did the usual 1-1/2 work out on the machines (treadmill, bike and weights)
Today I'm home with a sick grandchild. OOH he has such a bad cough. Going to the doctor soon. I'm sure he will be ok, but he sure is grouchy when he does not feel good! No gym tonight, I think I have a appointment with a vaporizor, and a sick kid
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:23 PM   #15  

Ditzy...you have my sympathies on the sick kid...nothing worse.

Misty? sometimes we all need a day off (is that me saying that?) Tomorrow just do your 5 or 10 or 15 minutes. Just a little bit each day really makes a difference and it is a great start for the bigger and better things to come.

Oh and Pookster, I have been meaning to write this for days. Geeze I hope I am on the right thread! The gym is about YOU. don't you dare give a flying fig or a rats tail about what other people think. This is YOUR time for YOU. IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU DOING FOR YOU!!!!

40 minutes on the treadmill for me. My knee hurts, I choose to ignore it.

peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote