Old 04-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #1  

Default Time For Serious Fun #64

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN #62

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today.

[COLOR=purple] FIRST QUARTER CHALLENGE JAN 1- MAY 1. THE MOST LBS LOST WILL WIN A $30 VISA GIFT CARD! ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN MEMBERS FOR 4 MONTHS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE FIRST QUARTER GIFT THOUGH ALL MAY JOIN THE CHALLENGE! [/COLOR
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #2  

MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our mission this week is to moderate and watch our drink intake. Pay attention to how much caffeine, sugar, and other worthless things you have in your drinks. Look at labels and see what you are drinking that is NOT water. Make sure you get your water in each day to speed up your weight loss and promote good health.

Boy I am late getting in here this morning. Fell back asleep when Jack got up at 5 and I don't usually do that. I seem to be still trying to catch up from vacation I guess. That and working on the condo.

Kind of looks like the shoes have it from the poll yesterday.

I went to the store last night and got fruit etc so I can get back totally on track and I am going out walking this morning. I am going to ease back into gym style exercising so as not to pull something and I only have a month and the POOL will be open and then it is back to water aerobics for me for the summer! WOOHOO!

I need to get going, get chores done and get outside as it is going to get hot today and I don't want to be out walking in the heat.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: YOU ONLY HAVE TWO CHOICES WHEN IT COMES TO LOSING WEIGHT, EITHER DOING IT OR NOT. MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE!

TTFN
Faye
Old 04-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #3  
Losing It :D

Talking

What a Great Mission Faye!! I have a question that would be kinda realated to it I guess...Every morning I have coffee and I use artifial sweetner in my coffee, I was wondering is it as bad as everyone says it is? cause if it is I will stop using it...

Well Today is my Weigh-In day with my Weight loss Challenge team from Dr.phil.com and I marked a 5 pound loss! Yahoo!! I cant beleive it almost 50 pounds gone!!!

Talk to you All Later,

Amanda
Amanda456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #4  

Amanda456: That is BOLOGNA! The problem with all these testings and such are that no one would take in that much of whatever it is at one time, nor do we inject it under our skin, etc. When they banned cyclamates because4 it caused cancer in rats, they injected into them and fed them over 400 times what a person would use in a lifetime. About 10 years later, they came out with a study that said there was no foundation for the removal so there you go! Use as much sweet n low, Equal, or Splenda as you like. It is not going to hurt you. I have researched it thoroughly and there is NOT ONE SHRED of evidence that the stuff does you any harm. Look at it this way, which is more harmful a packette of artificial sweetner or at least a teaspoon of SUGAR?

Man, I am pooped, but I got in exercise then exercised again, cleaning the deck (had to blow it with leaf blower, sweep, mop with cleaner then with water as the birds made a mess on it), then cleaned the patio set and bbq and set it up. I now have a lovely spot outside to seat and read or whatever and we like to grill out so that will be cool to start doing too and NO FAT cooking to boot. Tomorrow is paint the kitchen cabinets day, UGH but it is the next thing on my list and I want to do touch up painting in the kitchen too before I strip and redo the floors. I have to do the floors on my hands and knees with my black and decker scrubber so that takes forever. If there is ONE HUGE thing it does and that is keeps me occupied so I don't eat or even think about it!

Hope you girls are having a great day. I am going to grab a shower, some lunch and then hunker down with a good book until my clothes are finished in the dryer and I can fold and put them away.

Faye
Old 04-19-2004, 01:42 PM   #5  
Zookeeper

Hi all,

I got up and exercised before work, so I was on the right track. Then we had lunch at work and a drug rep brought Panera. I thought I was doing well when I had some salad (balsamic vinaigrette dsg) and a low fat turkey sandwich with no cheese and I took off one of the pieces of bread. I came home to look up the calories and it is SO depressing! I have already had most of my calories for the day and it's only 1:37 pm!!!!! I wouldn't care so much but we're having a friend over tonight and she's making pizza so now I get to not enjoy that. It is so frustrating to try and make good choices and then get screwed anyway!

(It didn't help that I'm retaining more water than the Hoover Dam so the scale is NOT my friend right now)

My new goal is going to have to be not to eat lunch at work unless I bring it from home or know EXACTLY what I'm getting nutrition/calorie-wise. It's not worth the disappointment and stress.

Jessica
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:31 PM   #6  
It is what it is...

Jessica - That is a good idea, we have alot of pitch in's here at work and I never eat at them, if I dont know what the calories and fat are I dont eat it...
I too make bad choices at Panera, you think the turkey sandwich would be low in fat huh? But it isnt....I would say enjoy some of the pizza but in moderation, 1-2 peices...you'll be okay...

Amanda456 - Great job on the 5 pound loss!!! You should be so proud of yourself Keep up the good work!!!

Faye - Wow you are getting alot of work done...I am doing mine little by little to get our house ready to put up for sale, I will probably be painting this weekend, I am not looking forward to it, I hate the smell

Everyone having a good day?
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #7  

Hello
Had a movie night last night so...candy....popcorn...yeah...I'm currently working up the energy to go to the gym. I was up too late.

Congrats Amanda on the 5 pounds!
Scuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #8  

Amanda456: Great weight loss! Keep up the good work!

Susan: Hang in there. Movie time is one of the toughest things to change our brain's way of thinking. Movies mean food! I found that if I fill up before the movie then I tend not to have to have something to eat or drink.

Jessica: Depriving yourself totally is not a good idea because that is when you tend to binge. Have 1-2 slices and remove as much of the really fattening stuff as you can, like the meats then enjoy it.

Carri: We bought this condo for a steal and it has needed a lot of work and we have messed around on the weekends instead of kicking in and working on it so we went and bought supplies to do several rooms so we can get it done. I enjoy most of it though I do get pretty tired and the fumes give me a roaring headache. Luckily I am now going to be doing stuff when I can ventilate better.

I had a great day today and stayed under my calories by quite a bit. I am upstairs for the night so no more worries about food today!

I read an article written by Bob Greene the fitness expert and he says it is necessary to have "white knuckling" sometimes to get your body used to less food. He says you can't always feel full and happy that there will be some tough times, but each time you tough it out, it gets better the next time and I totally agree. I was talking with Jack tonight and told him a couple days ago I realized that I didn't go on this vacation thinking, "what kind of new restaurants can we try while we are in Vegas?" This is the first time food hasn't been my brain's focus when traveling and that is pretty cool. I have also found that I don't feel out of control like I used to. I guess it is because I have been with this a long time now instead of a couple weeks and then quitting, but when I do have something outside my calories I don't have that "what the heck, I botched the day so I am going to pig out" feeling anymore or worse, "well I messed it up so I am just going to quit."

Everyone have a great evening!

Faye
Old 04-19-2004, 07:14 PM   #9  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi Girls!

Sounds like everyone is doing really well! I know it sounds silly, but my only goal for the next week or so is that I can eat anything but takeaway - me and Nigel are trying to get used to being in the kitchen and preparing food, rather than ordering pizza. Even on days when I really can't face cooking - then I've just made some cheese on toast - anything is better than ordering a pizza! Once i get used to preparing food and not constantly ordering a take away, then I will look at preparing more healthy options. Baby steps!

I'm also going to get to the gym this week as I know it will help me both physically and mentally.

I had an appointment with a mental health worker today about my depression - he suggested that I have some counselling again, which I agree with. I'm going to ring up some groups tomorrow (that offer free sessions) - but I expect they will all have long waiting lists. Anyway, I had a good chat with the mental health worker and got alot of stuff off my chest. He also said that it was really important for me to have a structured day - so I am planning on getting up at a reasonable time each day and going out to the gym. Money is really tight at the moment - but the gym is already paid for, so it is one of the few things that I can do for free!

Congratulations Amanda on your 5lb loss - and 46lb lost in total, that is absolutely amazing!

See you later!

Amanda xx
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:22 PM   #10  
Losing It :D

Talking

Thanx Everyone for the Congrats!

I feel kinda bad, I was making myself some chicken for supper and I realized i wasnt hungry for it at all, so instead of just having something light like cereal or soup I ate the chicken... WHY??? now I feel really full. i dunno, I guess Im just weird that way..

Faye - WOW! is your place ever going to look so nice... Thanx for the little insight about the sweetner...I wont feel guilty using it sugar twin here I come!!

Well I think I'm going to have a bath, I am going to a doctor Appt. tomorrow in the city so I wont be around...but for target tuesday I will target on really watching what I am eating while in the city and walking as much as possible...

Have A good one!!
Amanda
Amanda456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:27 AM   #11  

GOod morning ladies!

What a LOOOONNNNGGGG day I had yesterday! Up at 6 am and out looking for a new van allllll day. I went to 6 dealers and the very last one had something I could consider. I looked at all the caravan/voyager type minivans, but they are too damn small! I swear they get smaller every year. I also looked at some more conversion vans like my old one, but they were all incredibly swanky (which the kids LOVED! The very first one we saw had a tv/vcr AND video game system built in!!!!). I kinda liked the swanky ones, but they were rear-wheel drive (like my old one) and are USELESS in snow and ice. So, I finally found an all-wheel drive Chevy Astro which has a decent amount of room and a roof rack if we need more space. It also holds more passengers than my conversion van.

I almost cried when I dropped off my old "piece o' crap" van for the trade-in, though! THat thing got us through alot of years with barely a complaint. I loved that van, but it's time had definitely come. We seriously struggled with whether to buy a cheap, old van that "might" last a long time or might need major repairs in the near future.....or just suck it up and get something reliable and nearly new. We opted for sucking ! I feel like such a "grownup" with two nice vehicles in the driveway instead of 5 rusty mounds that sorta run.

Anyway, the day was so busy I ate like crap and didn't get much water in....but dance class saved the day from a total loss. 1 point for me.

Everyone sounds like they're doing great. I saw pizza mentioned in a bunch of posts as being a "problem" food......I've solved that by making my own pizzas on Lavash (a square flatbread you can get in the grocery store). THe lavash is already cooked and pretty low in calories. I just pull one out and top it with whatever I have on hand. I like veggie pizzas, so I pile it on. The lavash bakes up really crispy, so it's almost like pizza nachos. They are so yummy, I actually prefer them to takeout from a store. And it's faster than driving to pick up a big greasy death disc! (no such thing as delivery here in the northwoods!) Another plus is that everyone can make their own, with whatever they want on it. I can make a whole pizza for myself for under 300 calories! I control the fat, the carbs, everything. Give it a try....

Oh, in a pinch I've used whole wheat tortillas when I couldn't find any lavash. They work, but they aren't crispy.

Well, guess I should get going. Amanda456, it's good to see you again and CONGRATS on the loss! Talk to you all later,
Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #12  

TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our target for this week is again our mental attititude towards weight loss. It is imperative we fix our thoughts about food before we can be ultimately successful. There are several areas to work on with food: why, when, where, how and even who. Keep track of when you seem to want to snack more than other times of the day, ask yourself why you are comforting yourself with food, why it makes you feel better than work on solving those problems. Sometimes they are problems from way back that you need to deal with so be prepared to do that. Where do you eat? Start eliminating non-table eating, like while reading, in front of the tv, in bed, etc. You can consume huge amounts of food when concentrating on something else while eating so when eating, only concentrate on it. How do you eat? Are you a scarfer, like you haven't had a meal in a week? Do you pick, do you remove food from others plates or out of pans when the meal is over? Work on slowing down, chewing and swallowing. Remember it takes 10 minutes for the brain to register that the stomach got just one bite of food. It only makes sense that if you slow down, you eat less because you fill up with less food. Keep your hands off others plates and out of pots and dishes after the food is served. I used to pour something on leftovers to make them inedible so I wouldn't stand and eat what was left while cleaning up. All these things will go a long way to helping with your weight loss.

I got a 4 pter yesterday, wahoo! I am getting ready to go and exercise so I will talk with you all later.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 04-20-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:35 AM   #13  
It is what it is...

Default Morning Everyone!!!

Faye - and here I thought I was the only one that picked at all the leftovers while I was cleaning up dinner??? I actually was doing it last night, I am going to try your suggestion and pour water over or in the bowl to make it inedible, I hope that stops me

Julie - Congrats on the van, I felt that way too when DH finally got rid of his rust bucket truck and got a new car, I felt so much better about myself that I had two new cars in the garage, I guess that is pretty snotty sounding but hey it is all I have, ha ha .... our best friends just got a new van with a dvd player in it, paid through the butt for it - it is nice but c'mon

Amanda - Great attitude - things will get better ...

Amanda456- I eat sometimes when I am not hungry too ... we all do it, we dont know why...dont beat yourself up , it was chicken so it was good for you
( if it wasn't fried, ha )

Hey Jessica, Cat, and everyone else, hello and have a good one!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #14  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hi Ladies,

Ohh, have I been MIA. Fear not, I have not fallen, just been incommunicado. I am on spring vacation from work, and it hasn’t been an easy week so far. On Sunday we had the Easter we postponed from last week, and there was sweet raisin sauce (which I avoided) and chips and salsa (which I didn’t)

I don’t have access to the gym this week, so I am walking more. 5-7 miles everyday. And really watching what I eat, because I tend to eat more when I am at home, and drink less water, and those the weather on Monday helped, because it was so hot you have to keep drinking.

I took it upon myself yesterday, to clean my kitchen. It sparkles now. Even the butcher-block table and it probably shouldn’t. All the dishes are out away and the counters are clean. And then I made tofu and bok chio soup, which was really good and all left over from Pad Thai last week. It was a really good day cause I didn’t have a bedtime, so I could just go along as I pleased. I am really looking forward to summer.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #15  
It is what it is...

I know this isnt weigh in day but I posted this on another thread and I didnt want to leave you girls out... I weighed in the morning at "199" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am finally under 200...not by much but still under.....I was so excited...I have not seen anything in the one hundreds for like 5 years...
I know I have quite a ways to go but I have confidence now that it can be done and I will get there...
Of course tonight I will have something salty and wake up tomorrow at
201 oh well....
Thanks for letting me share and I promise not to mention weight again until Friday....JK
YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!