South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #1  

Default Back again..but with Hypothyroid!!

Hi again everyone...been a while..
just diagnosed as being hypothyroid. Have Grave's disease and was treated 2 years ago with RAI for hyperthyroid...now I'm hypo!!
I couldn't understand why I've been gaining weight w/o changing anything..
Will probably be coming back here after I see the dietician next week.
I'm going to see if she thinks this diet will be okay for me to do...
AUGGGHHHH....anyone else hypo who checked with their doc about SouthBeach????
Thanks,
Di
Old 04-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #2  
:) Happy :)

How fustrating! Hope they find a diet that will help you out! Good luck... M.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #3  
RNMOM

Default Our docs...

All of our docs think this diet is incredible. It was one of the ER docs I work with who was on this for vessel health. I got interested in the SB after listening to him

Our cardiac rehab department has all of their patients read this book. I'm sure with being hypothyroid you will find that this will be a good way to go...

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2004, 03:47 PM   #4  

I am hypothyroid also. I have done every diet in the world. This one has worked for me when nothing else has. I haven't discussed it with my doctor, but I think he will be happy that I am losing weight. I am on massive doses of Synthroid, but that does nothing to help me lose. I have been on it for years.
Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:23 AM   #5  

Hi,
I am Hypo., have tried several diets to no avail,even Atkins which I hated.
Started W/W 20 months ago,lost okay the first 6 months,but all of last year could only manage to loose 3 kgs,and nothing since Christmas,I think W/W are to high in carbs.
5 weeks ago I was reading about SBD,decided to give it a try,bit worried as to giving up my favourite thing, fruit, for 2 weeks but I thought well its only 2 weeks,I was surprised how easy Ph 1 was,I stuck to it really well,in Ph. 2 I have been gradually adding an odd carb,such as 1 fruit a day, still no bread(another of my downfalls, just love bread).
I would'nt hesatate in recomending this diet to Hypos.we do have to watch our sugar intake in case of Insulin Resistence,I love this way of eating and am really enjoying it,I feel great apart from a sore hand, I had carpul tunnel surgery last week,so haven't felt like walking,(I know I don't walk on my hands,its a good excuse),so go for it.
I still go to W/W as I help with the weigh ins,I didn't tell my leader that I was on SBD, just that I have cut back on carbs. she was happy with that as she had all most given me up as a lost cause.Oh by the way I have lost 3.3kgs.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #6  

Who would have thought there were so many hypothyroid types on the board? I was hyper years ago; took the RAI and was fine until menopause. Went on Synthroid years ago, but it certainly didn't stop any weight gain. I too haven't checked with my doc, but I'm pretty sure she'll be happy with the weight loss when I see her soon.

I've tried low fat and low carb diets; this is the one that works. Good luck. Jo
Closed Thread