Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-15-2004, 04:51 AM   #1  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Keeping my eye just off the ball

Airegrrl’s recent post that she had dropped a size when she wasn’t looking rang a bell. I’m just thinking aloud here but I thought you might like to listen in and offer your two penn’orth.

I’ve had this theory for years: that a thing will often happen when you’re not concentrating on it 100 per cent, eyeball to eyeball. Like the job interview for a job you’re not bothered about that much. Very often, what do you find but that you’re offered the job?

I tested this out with hydrogenated vegetable fats (you know, those unhealthy and unnatural transfats which delay the absorption of fatty acids into the blood, raise bad cholesterol and could be linked to heart disease). I decided to avoid them. I concentrated on avoiding them. And so it was that I avoided shop cakes and biscuits, pies, bad chocolate and other things. A good result in my book.

Now I’m moving this theory into a strategy. Rest assured, cardio, weights and good nutrition aren’t going out of the window but I’m going to concentrate on three areas which are important to me and my body. These are digestion, posture and sleep. Nothing heavy-duty. No failure or beating myself up. Just a three-day cycle of gentle reminders to myself.

Day 1 is digestion. For example, I’m not going to eat on the run and I’m going to chew my mouthfuls properly.
Day 2 is posture. For example, I’m going to sit and stand up straight. I’m going to use that imaginary ‘golden thread to the sky’. I’ll pull in my tummy.
Day 3 is sleep. This is the evening when I definitely go to bed early.
And then it’s day 1 again.

What do you think? Is there anything here for you? Today is my second posture day. I’m sitting up straight at the keyboard. This could be good. There could be good repercussions in other departments. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-15-2004 at 07:59 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #2  
in development

When no-one made any comment on my post I felt like one of Margaret Mahy's seventeen kings (from Seventeen Kings and Forty-two Elephants):

Seventeen kings and the dark night swallowed them -
Raindrops glistened on the elephants' backs.
Nobody watched them, nobody followed them -
The deep dark jungle has devoured their tracks.

But I said I would report back so here goes. My eye is just off the cardio, weights and nutrition ball.

I've focused on digestion, posture and sleep, each for a day at a time. I knew at the beginning that each of the three is very important to my functioning well and eating properly. In the case of sleep, to my functioning at all without extra food to keep me going (and extra food to keep me going doesn't really work).

I knew they were very important to me but what I hadn't properly realised was that they can fit together, one good thing leading to another. Good sleep helps good digestion which helps good posture which helps good sleep. A virtuous circle.

This plan of mine has worked to some extent although 'stuff' has wriggled in the laboratory door. Illness and family stuff - the kind of thing you can't avoid. But there's always something to deal with, isn't there?

When it's worked, good digestion has meant a flatter tummy to hold in the next day. That's positive reinforcement in my book.

Remembering my posture (and working with the improved stance weights have given my body) has made me certain that I want to be athletic and graceful. Extra, rubbish food plays no part in that desire.

And sleep? I have to admit it's a hobby of mine that's had to take a back seat in the last few years. Ensuring enough sleep means I don't reach for food in a hopeless attempt to keep going, or in a hopeless attempt to quell bad temper.

Despite the little local difficulties I've done what I could. I haven't been on autopilot. I've been a bit more mindful than before and I'm a bit more aware now. It's a good way of being aware of my body.

I'm a creature of habit and I like routine. Believe it or not, I think it gives me flexibility. And I think this digestion, posture, sleep routine suits me, where I am now, with what I'm trying to do. The upshot is that I'm going to carry on with this until it's second nature. I suppose it's a retraining programme.

OK, that's my report. I'll mount my elephant and sway off into the jungle.

Silverbirch.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #3  

That's a really interesting idea, make sure to keep us posted with how it's going, and kudos for you to keeping on posting even through no replies. Know that at least one person is hearing your posts and interested in your progress. Good luck!
gillian14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

And don't you look loverly on that elephant ... I was reading your posts, just didn't know what to reply, although it's a great idea and got me thinking...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:24 AM   #5  
in development

Thanks, darlings!

Glad I do weight-training. Heaving around this elephant fodder is hard work!

Silverbirch.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Silver,

I agree with you. I think a lot of these habits are like domino effects. When I exercise, I eat well because I remember how great my body felt doing something and I know that not eating well means less of feeling that wonderful way. When I make an effort to get to bed early (which is doubly difficult if you live with someone who sleeps in and wants to stay up all night and "play"), I notice that my work-outs benefit which means my eating benefits.

I'd like to incorporate family dinners (me & the Cute Boyfriend & the dogs) because I'd like to learn how to savor the experience of the WHOLE meal - jest not the food I can shove in my mouth before running to class. sigh!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:37 AM   #7  
in development

Default Other people's sleeping habits!

GoddessJ - You know, it's other people's sleeping habits which really throw me off course too! Left to myself, I'd just have 8-9 hours straight through and wake up a new woman. As it is, .....

And family meals. Go for it! You'll never look back. Taste, texture, conversation, digestion. And much, much more.

Good luck!

Silverbirch.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:53 PM   #8  

SilverB - just catching up here, and your idea has got me to thinking about my own bad habits of eating too fast, slouching and not getting enough sleep. It seems I'm always scolding myself when I catch myself at them. Since practice and persistence have always worked for me, I will incorporate your 1 a day X 3 Plan to see if I can improve.

Thanks for the post!

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Hi Silverbirch - I am working on a similar goal process. Ok, it's not really similar at all, but it is a goal process! My husband and I are trying to incorporate one new thing a week to make us healthier. Like this week I am focusing on taking vitamins. I'll probably have to revisit that one a few times this year because I am terrible at remembering to take them. Last week we focused on drinking more water, less diet drinks. We're going to try and incorporate something new each week. Some weeks we'll just try something, like new vegetarian or organic dishes, or work on relaxation.

Good luck sticking to your goals. Posture is a great goal, thanks for sharing!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:02 AM   #10  
in development

Default One small mouthful has made all the difference

An update on my sleep, posture, digestion project.

Some of you know I’ve just come back from a holiday. Despite more driving than I like, it seems as though the time away has left me more relaxed, laid-back and mellow. I don’t suppose that surprises you at all but it does surprise me a bit. I don’t know why but it does.

Anyway, one of my ideas about improving my digestion was to put down my fork between mouthfuls. I’ve been doing this and I think it’s helped. But guess what happened the other evening? Guess what? The Boy started some nonsense at the tea table and I decided to sit it out and let the Man deal with it. I put down my fork and mentally disengaged. I had a mouthful of food in my mouth and I idly pushed it around with my tongue. And then! Then! Then! I realised that I was enjoying the different textures and the flavour. And it felt very, very good. I liked it enormously.

Now I must have read about enjoying each mouthful, etc, etc a million times and I suppose I’d thought that yes, I do that. Of course, it’s obvious, I do that. We eat good food and we are good cooks. Well, perhaps I hadn’t been paying attention or perhaps I just hadn’t had the space for it to happen. And when I did pay attention to my food, well, as I said, it felt very, very good and I liked it enormously.

I think I’ve been able to slow down in part because I now know, really know, that I shall not be hungry. Small and frequent meals have helped with this. But I’m also not breastfeeding a very big baby (which made me very hungry) or subject to terrible work stress. I think that both of these contributed to a bit of a pattern. Lots more to say here, I’m sure, but another time.

I’ve decided to make sure that I give myself space to focus properly on my food for at least one mouthful each meal. I’m starting small and it’s such a nice thing to do that it’s bound to build up. (That’s the sort of thing you’re doing, Jennifer, isn’t it?)

Almost time for Armenian lentil soup.

Love, Silverbirch.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:02 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

What a wonderful discovery!! I can truly appreciate this since I LOVE food. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Which of course is why I gained weight. I don't understand people that say 'I don't like vegetables'. I like almost anything. I don't like lamb and deer because they're cute, and I don't like intestines and organs, but other than that, I'm pretty enthused about everything! How great it is to discover a new way to cook something and a new flavor to taste. You have done the smart thing and found a way to work it FOR you and not against you. Congratulations!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:11 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Silver -- Welcome back! What a beautiful post! You're so right about stress it has to be the worst thing, whether it be nursing or work related! I for one do not do well under stress. As soon as I work in a school that is very stressful I start gaining weight...

Your posts have made me think a lot. Everytime I notice that you have posted I sit up straight and hold my stomach. Funny what power of suggestion will do.

Today I actually stopped and ENJOYED a mouthful of grapefruit! It was delicious I must admit... I could feel all the bubbles of juices burst in my mouth, the fresh coolness of it after a sweaty workout it was more refreshing than usual just because I stopped to savour it...

Thank you for making me "stop to smell the roses" or stop to taste the fruit... Same difference in my book...

P.S.: You write beautifully, BTW, so many of the women on here should get together and write a book...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #13  
in development

Thank you very much, Ilene. I just love words and rhythm, and sometimes I’m able to use them to keep the wolf from the door. I love this forum for several reasons and one is that I’m able to practise different types of writing!

Now, grapefruit. I should give that a bit more time and another chance. Thanks for reminding me about it.