Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-13-2004, 07:27 PM   #1  

Default Why cant I get motivated to walk?

I am working on losing weight and getting fit. I do pilates 4-5 times a week. I want to add walking to my repetoire. I own a fabulous treadmill but for some reason I cannot get myself on it.

What do I do? I feel so stuck!!!

Thanks
Kitty
kittykitkat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:16 PM   #2  
:) Happy :)

Think to yourself. It will be so fun to get on that treadmill. I am going to enjoy walking. I will love walking. Motivation doesn't last forever, so you have to force yourself to do it before you talk yourself out of it. Think positive about it, tell yourself, " Mmmm, wonder what I will look like in a week " It may work! Worth a try!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mistie
mistiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 PM   #3  

You're the lady who has cf, diabetes, pcos, asthma-- is that right? I don't blame you for finding it difficult. All these conditions tend to drag you down. I'd say just go 5 minutes a day on the treadmill for a week or 2 or 3, however long you need to, then gradually ramp it up by five minutes each week. Five minutes isn't too daunting, and you'd be surprised how it helps over time.

IMO it's more important to establish the exercise habit firmly than it is to get some specific timetable. That's how I started, and it has taken a couple of years, but the payoff happens over time. Just take it in tiny steps at first. Good Luck!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:24 PM   #4  

I sometimes feel that way too. Just don't want to get moving. Is the treadmill at home near a tv? How about making a deal with yourself to walk for the duration of a 30 min show? Or read a magazine, or book, or book on tape. Time will fly by that way.
beach-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Tell yourself to get on for just 5 minutes... And 5 minutes is all you last that's fine... the next time again just 5 minutes...Eventually they will fly by and the minutes will go up... and next thing you know you'll be doing a good half hour...

Even if you're a seasonned exerciser you don't always feel like exercising... I OFTEN don't feel like doing my cardio either... but after 10 minutes (I'm a bit slow for warm up takes me 10 minutes) I could walk forever...

Another suggestion.... with the nice weather go outside!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #6  

I try to give myself incentives for exercising. I'll buy magazines that I can only read while I'm on cardio machines at the gym. They have tv's at my gym, so I'll go in the evening and exercise while I'm watching my favorite shows - if you have a treadmill at home you could try that. I also make mix cd's of upbeat songs that I love that I listen to only when I'm exercising.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:41 PM   #7  

Hi kittykat
I own a treadmill too....but lack motivation. I find good music helps....and I also hook up something to look at while I am walking...like a map of the country (you'd be surprised at how interesting it can be) or maybe a television set...just something to take your mind off the wall facing you. I have just begun to walk outside in the evenings but want to create a routine for the treadmill.
take care,
nona
nona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:03 AM   #8  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

I have a love/hate relationship with walking. once i get started i love it, the way i feel, the way i look. but sometimes i just don't wanna get up and do it. then i hate it. lol the only i do is ( i write myself weekly schedules that i keep on my desk and record what i did and didn't do. this week i am only 1 mile short of my goasl)force myself to do it for so many days in a row. even just a little bit then i get used to doing it, and realize how much i enjoy it.
blugirrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 01:53 PM   #9  

I know what you mean with your love hate relationship, I own a treadmill and yet find every excuse NOT to get on it but I am committing myself to starting, I have to cuz it doesn't do it itself. One thing I do is say I am going to do it for 15 minutes by that time I am into it and can add 15 more minutes so I have at least a total of 30 minutes, that and my Backstreet Boys tape it is upbeat and I find is at the same pace I walk so it is the only one I listen to and I never tire of it by the time I get to my slow down the song is right with me so best of luck
kaliu2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:08 PM   #10  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Kaliu : nice to see you posting :; glad to hear you are starting to use your treadmill
blugirrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote