South Beach Diet - questions about phase 1

View Full Version : questions about phase 1

micb
04-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Well I have been thinking about this for a while and I plan to start Monday with Phase 1. I was wondering if people doing phase one have all followed the daily menus or they made their own menus based on the food list. If I could just lose 10 pounds it would help me start so what ever will help me with the most weight loss is what I will do. I started making a shopping list according to the menu and it was looking pretty expensive after day 3 with all the fish and stuff. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

sb4life
04-08-2004, 09:45 PM
I have never followed any of the menus...I just followed the food lists.

I don't think that it is more expensive, but rather, cheaper. I'm no longer buying those boxes of noodles & rice or jars of spaghetti sauce.

I think that fish is pretty cheap. You can get a few filets of tilapia or Mahi Mahi for less $$ than a couple steaks.

Good luck on the Beach! You're gonna love this way of life!

GreatBigMonsterMomma
04-08-2004, 09:49 PM
I found it easiest to make a menu (I buy groceries weekly) based off the food list. You don't have to buy every last thing on the list! My grocery bill really hasn't changed much. I just buy more eggs than I used to. The menus...well, I had two problems with them. First, most of what was on there really didn't appeal to me. Secondly, I found it had way too few calories for me (I'm lactating). I am a creature of habit, though, so I'm perfectly content to have some variation of eggs & turkey bacon for breakfast pretty much daily. :)

chick_on_the_beach
04-09-2004, 03:59 AM
I stick to the food list and make up my own meal plans and shop accordingly. I am pretty busy with work, study, parenting and stuff so find the cooking can be a bit much so stick with pretty basic meals and use lots of yummy seasonings, herbs and spices to add some flavour.

Meals tend to be a protein served with vegies or salad and snacks are nuts, low fat cheese and low fat yogurt. This makes shopping pretty simple and I don't have to put much thought into meal preparation.