Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Smile Just for Lapbanders 1

since there are relatively few of you [compared to those of us who have gone 'all the way'!], i thought it would help if ya'll had a thread just for you and your issues. and just think!!! you can educated everyone about the fill process!!

jump in!!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #2  

Okey dokey! Since I'm now officially a bandster, I'll jump right in. I can't wait to share experiences with other banders who come along. I know two of you who are thinking about this, so if you have any questions about my experience so far, post away!

Chicka-banded-dee
Old 04-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #3  

I'm so glad you guys started this thread. Really thinking about the band over the RNY. So here's the first question.......what do you think are the best sites on the net about this? Anything other than Obesityhelp.com, 3FC, or Spotlight Heath?

Deb
Old 04-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #4  

Hi Deb,
My favorite "other" site is http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/
There are lots of real people who have been, or want to be, banded and I think you get a lot of truth there.
I also get a lots of info from various Yahoo groups. Most states seem to have their own yahoo bandster group.
Here is another Yahoo group that I like: http://health.*************.com/group...guid=175175021

Hopefully I did those links correctly.

So far, I think this band thing was a good idea, but I have to be honest that there have been a few moments where I wondered what on earth I was thinking. I keep telling myself to focus on the long-term and to visualize the new Chick just waiting to break out of the fat shell.

Good luck,
Chickadee
Old 04-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #5  
Hang In There

Chickie, glad you doing good, keep us informed of your progress. You are now officially our Lapband Model.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:44 PM   #6  
For my HEALTH...

Hi I am back from my computer being down for a week. There is a very good chance that I will join you in Lapbandia Chickadee.

As you know I thought I was getting the bypass for a very long time. My sister is getting a bypass on June 2.

But another surgeon thought I was making a mistake having my extremely large hernia operated on at my weight and I agree with him.
I was so scared of the hernia operation. This other surgeon is willing to give me the band and then I will hopefully lose a lot of weight and then have the hernia taken care of at a much lower weight.

The main reason I am switching over to the band from the bypass is because the band does not require manipulating the intestines so hopefully my hernia will be left undisturbed for the time being.

When I go thru the archives I do find several other bandsters but most of them seemed to have stopped posting here.

I hope the Vow reappears soon. If there are any shy bandsters lurking about I hope you come out and play soon.

Hope you are feeling better Chickadee.

So far I have passed all my pre-op tests -- I just have the cardiologist to go.
I also hope that my insurance co ok's the band.

P.S. I went to a pre-op lapband meeting and I could see that you get out of it what you put into it. There were people in the room who lost a lot of weight and some who only lost 30 lbs in a year. So I can see that you have to really work with the band and watch what you eat etc.

--Pookie
Old 04-11-2004, 08:51 PM   #7  

Wink New Kid Here, Old kid on Lapband

Greetings all,
My name is Jonathan, I am a reject from ObesityHelp.com, I was Banded December 04 2003, Down -55 Lbs (310) and will be going to My surgeon April 20th for my next official weigh in) (I can't wait)

Here is a bit of my history:

**TIMELINE**

10-19-02 "Before" 400 Lbs.
10-1-03 First meeting with Surgeon - 365 lbs.
12-4-03 Was Banded
12-19-03 2 weeks post op - down 29 lbs -- 336 lbs
01-05-04 4 weeks post op - Down 33 lbs -- 332 lbs
(Had my First fill 1 .cc)
2-03-04 - 8 weeks post op - Down 44 Lbs - 321 lbs
2-29-04 - 12 weeks post op - Down 45 Lbs - 320 lbs
(had my second fill, now at 1.5cc)
3-26-04 - 16 weeks post op - Down 55 Lbs. - 310 Lbs!

Hopefully you will be seeing alot more (or less) of me.

Jonathan
www.bandster.us
Old 04-11-2004, 10:08 PM   #8  
Hang In There

WOW Jon I'm impressed with your website. Great job. Welcome to our little corner of the web. Glad to have you joining us.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

jonathan...

how nice to meet you and congrats on your weight loss.

looking forward to getting to know you!!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #10  

Hey Jonathan,
I've been a big (but getting smaller ) lurker at Obesity Help, but usually post here - it's home. I was so mad when I saw you were banned, so image how happy I was to see your post here. If I lose even half as fast as you are I'll be thrilled!
Welcome to 3FC!

Chickadee
Old 04-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

BANNED???? jonathan!!!! WHAT DID YOU DO???????

does the moderator of this forum have to wear her glasses when she reads your posts????
Old 04-12-2004, 08:33 PM   #12  

banned?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #13  
Hang In There

Whoaaaaa...Tell us more!
Old 04-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #14  
For my HEALTH...

Now that I got the "clearance" from the cardiologist, I am one step closer to getting the LapBand this Summer.

On Monday evening I am going to go to another LapBand Meeting.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #15  
For my HEALTH...

Default bandsters & bypassers (hope they can get along)

On Monday night I went to a LAPBAND meeting. I got there early and got a chance to speak with the meeting leader when she came up to me. I felt very comfortable with her and we spoke about many things. She gave me a ton of good ideas. She agreed that we were "kindred spirits" and we exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addressess.

One thing that made me very happy is that she lost over 100 lbs so far with the lapband. I was happy to hear that because the impression you always get is that you can't lose that much with the band. A nutritionist I went to recently even told me about BYPASS ENVY . I had never heard that term before. She said that is an actual term that they use to describe the reaction of bandsters when they see their bypass buddies losing weight so much faster (especially the first year). She warned me to be prepared that my sister who is getting the bypass will be losing much faster than me. I am happy that my sister will be losing fast because at this point her health is so bad that we are all VERY worried about her.

I also recently joined a Group on Yahoo called "ExtraOrdinary Bandsters" who are a large group of people who started out with a very high BMI and then lost a ton of weight with the lapband. So it is possible to do if you put in the effort.

I know I will have to work harder with the band. I know I will not lose as fast with the band. I know I will have to be careful not to "eat around" the band. In case you don't know "eating around" the band refers to the folks who get the band and then find ways to get in extra calories anyway. One example is to eat lots of ice cream which melts and then passes thru the band. You have to be careful to choose food more wisely and then use the band as a tool because you feel full on less food. If I go thru the pain of an operation I hope I will be smart enough to do the right things.

The meeting leader says she eats much less than she did pre-band and she feels satisfied with the smaller amounts. She is now riding a bike after not being able to do it for many years.

We also talked about the problem that on some websites (not 3FC) there seems to be a battle going on between bandsters and bypassers as to which is the best method. We agreed that is too bad. We are all in the same boat and both groups should be willing to help each other and learn from each other because some of the problems are the same for both groups and we all need support to keep going.

There are not too many bandsters around here ( I only know of Chickadee and Vow right now and MAYBE one other in the future ( I won't say her name in case she wants to keep it private). So I will try to share what I learn as I go along- in case anyone reading this forum is interested.

In the meantime I am still losing weight in preparation for my surgery this summer and I will be helping my sister who is getting her bypass on June 2. --Pookie

Last edited by POOKIE88; 04-20-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Closed Thread