South Beach Diet - South Beach and Weight Watchers?

View Full Version : South Beach and Weight Watchers?

mauvaisroux
04-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Hello all you beach babes! :wave:

A few people have asked me about doing South Beach and WW at the same time but I can't remember who they were ...I have an awful memory :lol:

I am doing both and have planned out 2 weeks of Phase 1/ww menus and 2 weeks of Phase 2/ww menus and am currently working on Phase 3.

If anyone wants to get an idea of how to work the two plans together let me know and I will send you the menus as a prototype for making up your own plan that is suitable for your points.

Mauvaisroux

ellis
04-07-2004, 02:48 PM
You're making that up, Mauvais. :nono: NO ONE would be crazy enough to try working the two plans at the same time. Except for you, of course. :lol3: :rofl:

wendyjo
04-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Why do both? Just curious?

moonmirror
04-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Mauvais,

I think that is a fantastic idea. I do believe that when the calories get too high I stall on SB, and on WW I cheat constantly because the carb count can get high (all those low point, high carb snacks).

In fact, when I used to post on the WW boards (I tried it for three months) there were several "combiners" on there. I'll bet it makes the weight loss more consistent.

mauvaisroux
04-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Very funny ellis! :p

I was going to WW for several months and lost some but stalled for a while I decided to try SBD to jump start my weight loss using SBD to do a lower carb version of WW and stay within my daily point range...and it worked! :)

I am feeling much better since I cut back on carbs and switched to wholewheat products. I honestly don't miss rice or potatoes and the few times I have eaten them as a treat they just didn't taste as good as I remembered them :lol: I also no longer have cravings for chips or buttertarts :D

I am sticking with WW since I need the support of the group and some structure and accountability, also they have great advice, tips etc that comes from the program and the group. I have two friends that are going as well so that is a great support + we keep an eyeball on each other when we go out to eat too ... ;)

ellis
04-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Huh. Funny how you really chow down when we go out for Dim Sum with Ruth. You seem to thoroughly enjoy those rice bundles, if I recall correctly. :D

chick_on_the_beach
04-08-2004, 01:33 AM
I have done WW before and lost weight then put it on again. I use WW points to control my portion sizes. Some days I eat lots but feel hungry and tired then I realise I have had hardly any points/calories. Other days it is the other way around. I find that if I consistently have larger portions despite following SB Diet, my weight loss stalls. My problem on WW was that I found it too tempting to use up my points on junk food. I feel that SB Diet is a better long-term healthy eating plan and figure that if I get into the routine of eating healthy it will be easier to keep the weight down. I like the emphasis on protein snacks and lots of vegies and water because I feel more energized through the day. I keep my meals pretty simple so it is easy to follow both plans.

mauvaisroux
04-08-2004, 07:33 AM
Ellis...Yeah okay Smartypants! :p

I'll admit that I love those rice bundles but then I only go to Dim Sum once a year with you and Ruthxxx so they are a rare treat. :lol:

Chick on the beach- I agree with you, SBD is better for me. I am eating way more veggies now, have cut way back on sugar and I used to get headaches when I ate too many carbs. Since I have switched to wholewheat and wholegrain products I don't get the headaches that I used to and I actually like the taste of them better. :)

Deets
04-08-2004, 10:01 AM
It really does work, Ellis. However, you can't have Bridge Mix....which might prove difficult for some!!!! (snicker, snicker)

I've been doing my own version for about 5 weeks..SBD and WW...and have lost 8 pounds. I go in for my weekly meeting and weigh in this morning, so we will see how I did this week. I love SBD, but need the accountability of "the group" at meetings. So a combination of the two is a healthy lifestyle for me.

Many thanks to you Mauvaisroux for sending me your menus. I will be beginning my own version of them next week. They sound terrific!
Have a great OP day....whichever one you might choose!
Deets
PS. I have no idea why, but the smilies are not working for me today!
Is it just me, or do we have a problem?

Blitz
04-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I have been doing both -
I started out in WW and lost weight just because I quit drinking sodas. However, I love sweets and could NEVER keep under my points. I do believe in WW as a healthy way to live the rest of your life. When I started SB I figured I would keep track just to see how it worked out and what I learned is that under SB I was able to keep under my daily point limit for the first time!!

However, I belong to 2 12-step groups and I told my WW leader (good friend) that I would never make the meetings for the rest of my life. That I would join for a while but not forever. And I meant it. This week I quit counting my points (why bother? this is working for me and the not thinking about food all the time is one of the advantages of SB) and as soon as I buy a scale I'm sure I will quit going to WW.

mauvaisroux
04-08-2004, 11:31 AM
I am hoping to be a lifetime member by July :crossed: then I can go to meetings and not have to pay as long as I are maintaining my goal weight. I figure this will keep me from back sliding. :)

Nascar Girl
04-08-2004, 12:06 PM
This sounds good to me. I know portion size makes a difference in my WL so I've been trying to watch this. Mauvaisrous: I sent you a PM for your menu

bandit2
04-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Mauvaisroux - I would greatly appreciate your ww/sb menus. I have been going to ww for quite awhile & had good success at the beginning. Have been yo-yoing for a long time due to lots of social functions, etc with bf. I still believe ww is the way to go but would be very interesting in seeing how it can be combined with sb.

TIA

funfatchickmommy1
04-08-2004, 01:48 PM
I am confused by these posts, since I thought the whole point of SB is to eat plan foods until satisfied and you don't have to worry about counting points/calories and weighing things. To hear that alot of people weightloss stalls on SB is very discouraging. Is this true for alot of people?

moonmirror
04-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Yes. All weight loss will stall at some point, because when you spend weeks on end restricting yourself it gets old and you have to cheat a little. You can't always see that in the first week when you are gung-ho. If you cheat a little, stall a little, then jump right back on, I think it is all right. You have to give your body a break from constant weight loss or it really stresses you out physically and mentally. I believe this... I think the key is not to never cheat, the key is to get back on plan sooner rather than later. I try to maintain during a stall...or only gain a pound or so. I can manage that if my cheating is a treat here, a treat there. It is the full on, weeks on end pigging out that piles it all back on.

chick_on_the_beach
04-09-2004, 04:06 AM
I figure that if you are a healthy weight you can have the odd treat as long as you are eating right 90% of the time. The problem is that you get overweight by not eating right a lot of the time for a long period of time. Breaking this habit is really hard. That is why SB Diet works for me and I think will be easy to maintain. But it is easy to slip back into old habits. I had two marshmallow easter eggs today and didn't even enjoy them. I felt sick afterwards because they were so sweet, but I ate them out of old habits. Just as well I felt sick because hopefully this will put me off eating more over the rest of Easter.

Blitz
04-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I noticed last week when I went "off" that my body reacted differently. I was sick to my stomach for a half hour when I ate half of a muffin slathered with butter. Then one night I had ice cream and my belly REALLY HURT the next day. It's not like I think God is punishing me but I think I am really starting to see just HOW unhealthy my old habits were. I *do* know how crazy all that sounds, by the way...

lauthala
04-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Hi,
I go to W/W,have been for 22 months,lost 10 kgs the first 6 months,last year a whole 3 kgs,put on some over Chrissy and trying to loose that,then 4 weeks ago read about SBD.on Thyroid page (I am Hypothyroid),so decided to give it ago,and I am finally loosing,lost 3kgs in the 4 weeks,stayed on Ph.1 as recomended in book for 2 weeks,then got worried changing over to Ph.2.but I have been doing that gradual,like porridge daily,1 fruit a day and brown rice every few days,was still able to loose.I still go to W/W,as I help with weigh ins,and my leader wanted to know what I did, I just told her I cut down on carbs, but I am starting to add in W/W recipes,that are SB.friendly,they say if we have thyroid probs.to cut down on carbs,I think W/W are to high in them.I have'nt been counting the points, since starting on this,good to have a break from them anyway.
If you get a chance could you put up what your menu is for a day.

ElizabethMO
04-09-2004, 11:46 AM
I would love to see sample menus for a day on WW combined with SB. Could you post just an example, please? I was on WW, stalled, went to SB, couldn't live with it, and am now on Wendie's Plan (a take off from WW). Your info would be greatly appreciated.

hood
04-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Mauvaisroux,

I would love to get a copy of your plans for ww and sb. I have been thinking that those are the two plans that work the best for me. My e-mail address is:

Thank you so so much!

chick_on_the_beach
04-09-2004, 05:09 PM
I understand that weight watchers have a low-carb alternative. I think there is a high-carb option or maybe that is low-fat? Not sure, but seems that they are realising that not all foods are created equal.

I would like to receive some of your combined recipes Mauvaisroux

Thanks

mauvaisroux
04-09-2004, 06:18 PM
funfatchickmommy:

I was doing Weight Watchers first and stalled on that program.

I heard so much about South Beach that I decided to give it a try but I still wanted to go to the WW meetings as I find the them very helpful and they help keep me on track.

I have taken the menus from The South Beach Diet Book and adapted them to suit my own needs and also to fit within my point range. SBD helped jumpstart my WW plateau and helped me cut back on my sugar intake, eat more veggies and eat wholegrain foods and kick my coffee/tea habit. I am down to one coffee per day now :coffee:

SBD is a plan I can make into a lifestyle and my DH is happy with it too :D

chick_on_the_beach: WW now has a higher protein (lowcarb) plan that they advise to do for 2 weeks to jumpstart your weight loss. They also have a higher carb 2 week menu. They are also advocating eating whole grain breads and wholewheat products like pasta and couscous and brown rice.

My menus may seem a little anal retentive but I really need structure or I will not stay on plan. I have worked in SBD snacks so I know I will have something when I want but it will still be on plan :)

Elizabeth MO and lauthala:

I will post a typical day for me but keep in mind that under the new flexpoints plan my minimum points are 22 per day and then I use my flexpoints for anything else I might have or for a special treat or dinner out.

mauvaisroux
04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
*****Please note that I have my 1 coffee per day with all the trimmings ....can't live with out it :coffee:

I also split an egg with my DH since he can't face a whole one in the morning-he used to never it breakfast before...if you have a whole egg it will be 2 points.

Where it says water and exercise- those circles are for me to check off to make sure I do drink my water and do exercise each day.

I told you I was anal retentive! :lol:

A day on Phase 1

Breakfast:
½ egg, scrambled with mushrooms 1 pt
2 slices Canadian bacon 2 pts
1 cup coffee with 2 tbs cream and 1 tsp sugar 1 pt

Snack:
1 stalk of celery 0 pts
1 wedge Laughing Cow light cheese 1 pt

Lunch:
Chef’s salad- mixed greens with 1 oz each ham 4 pts
turkey and low fat cheese, tomato wedges
2 tbsps low- sugar dressing 2 pts
sugar free jello 0 pts

Snack:
½ cup grape tomatoes 0 pts

Dinner:
Cracked pepper steak (SBD book pg.160) 8 pts
*use leftovers for lunch on Thursday
broccoli w/1tsp butter 1 pt
broiled tomato 0 pts

Dessert or snack:
14 cashews 2 pts
1- 8oz glass of Crystal light, diet soda or water 0 pts

TOTAL POINTS FOR THE DAY 21 pts

o o o o o o water (8 oz glasses) o exercise-at least ½ hour per day

A day on Phase 2

Breakfast:
Berry smoothie (SBD book pg.185) 1.5 pts
1 cup coffee with 2 tbs cream and 1 tsp sugar 1 pt

Snack:
2 ham or turkey rollups 2 pts
1- 8 oz glass of Crystal Light, diet soda or water 0 pts

Lunch:
2 oz Roast beef on rye bread with mustard 4 pts
raw vegetables (peppers cucumber, broccoli etc)
with ¼ cup hummous dip 2 pts

Snack:
sugar free, non fat yogourt 1 pt
1- 8oz glass of Crystal light or water 0 pts

Dinner:
Stir fry chicken with vegetables 5 pts
(SBD book pg. 215)
tossed salad 0 pts
2 tbsps dressing low-sugar dressing 2 pts

Dessert or snack:
Strawberries with vanilla yogourt (SBD book pg. 241) 2 pts
1- 8oz glass of Crystal light, diet soda or water 0 pts

TOTAL POINTS FOR THE DAY 21.5 pts

o o o o o o water (8 oz glasses) o exercise-at least ½ hour per day

chick_on_the_beach
04-09-2004, 09:15 PM
When you look at it all like that it looks like so much food, but when you count up the points/calories you can see that you are still going to lose weight, and not get hungry doing so. I have a friend who grew up in Singapore and she says she was used to eating a huge plate full of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner then when she came to New Zealand she was shocked at the lack of food she was served up at meal times. Of course a ham sandwhich with butter will have about as much calories as a massive plate of rice and vegies it just looks so much smaller.

mauvaisroux
04-09-2004, 11:28 PM
I find that with SBD I am not hungry all the time and after my evening dessert/snack I don't get munchies later on in the evening.

I am trying out new foods and as I am moving on to phase 3 I am slowly working fruit and a few extras back in.

Tonight for dinner we had wholewheat totellini with red pesto sauce and a Ceasar salad on the side...I had a few croutons but they were pumpernickle and the dressing was a ceasar vinaigrette...it was a lot lighter than the usual Ceasar dressing and very garlicy :T

I am really enjoying SBD and can't wait for the cookbook to come out.

ellis
04-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Ladies, please don't include your email address in your posts. There are too many wackos out there. Please send Mauvais a PM (with your email address if you like), and she will send you the menus. Thank you! :)

very funny, Sharon, you smarty pants, you!

justjodi
04-10-2004, 08:23 AM
I would love to see sample menus for a day on WW combined with SB. Could you post just an example, please? I was on WW, stalled, went to SB, couldn't live with it, and am now on Wendie's Plan (a take off from WW).

elizabethmo what is wendie's plan?? i have not heard of this one.

Ruthxxx
04-10-2004, 10:08 AM
http://www.stormpc.com/ww/wendie_plan.htm

I thought I'd posted this for you, Jodi. Guess not. Sorry!

ElizabethMO
04-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Jodi, when you get into the site that Ruth gave you, be sure you go into the message board. There you will find testimonials about how the diet has worked for others. I think the site is very good and will give you all the info you need, including a table of point values for different foods. This plan uses the WW point system as its basis.

Sweater Girl
04-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi MauvaisRoux

Just a quickie question, do you still do the flexpoints thing on top of the 21-22 points a day?

I am considering mixing WW and SBD.... I have a nasty problem with sugar lows (I am hypoglycemic) and am a bit over goal and have been having a terrible time with sugar cravings as of late. I have heard many good things about SBD...

Cheers!

Ali

mauvaisroux
04-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi Sweater Girl!

I am using the flexpoints as well. On the new flexpoints system you get a minimum number of points you should be eating per day instead of a range like the old system.

My minimum number is 22 points per day so anything extra that I eat I use my flexpoints for. I usually use them on weekends since I am ususallly out and about and can't always stay OP where I am.

I found SBD helped me get rid of carb and sugar cravings. :)

justjodi
04-12-2004, 08:38 AM
thanks for the info ruth i will give it a look.

Sweater Girl
04-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Mauvais Roux: Thank ya!! That's what I was thinking!

Cheers!

Ali:)

Daisynyc
04-12-2004, 03:21 PM
I was just wracking my brain, trying to decide b/w WW and SBD for many of the reasons mentioned here. I need the structure and accountability of WW, but I am insulin resistant and the WW recommended recipes etc. are way too high-carb for me. Maybe we can get a thread of people who are "combining" programs. Not that I have attempted it yet.... :lol:

mauvaisroux
04-12-2004, 07:14 PM
I have posted the menus in the FAQ section of the Fat Chicks on the Beach forum :)

Ruthxxx
04-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Mauvais. I guess we can close this thread now.