Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What do you do for SNACKS?

View Full Version : What do you do for SNACKS?

aphrodeia
04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Aaaaaah!

Okay. Got that out of my system. :D

I've been hearing for a long time that three sensible meals plus two small snacks is the best way to go. This caught my attention - I'm ALWAYS hungry, and snacks are my friends! But I'm having a miserable time finding adequate snackage. I can't stand yogurt, cottage cheese makes me cringe, granola just doesn't do it for me. Fruit seems to make me MORE hungry, apples in particular.

Any ideas? Anything that I'm overlooking? It's making me crazy! I want snacks! :lol:

scs_2much
04-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Hey, I can so relate.... the fruit probably does make you more hungry cuz it's sugar... Albeit 'good' sugar... Do you like turkey? A good snack item might be a WW tortilla with a serving of turkey. I like it with mustard :D --- You can eat one of those little wraps for about 100 calories... The protein will keep you fuller longer, too. Also, I used to like to snack on cheerios, I can eat a cup of those and have the hand to mouth thing going for a WHILE! they're carbs and I don't know what kind of 'diet' you're doing, so....
Hope this helps! ;)

Stefanie

Ilene
04-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Who says your snacks have to be small? It can be the same size as your other meals as long is it's healthy... This is only my personal opinion tho and I find that since I have been eating a good sandwich or a wrap with veggies on the side, I'm not ravenous at the next meal. I also eat every 3 hours, not more because then I will over eat. I also makes sure all my meals and snacks have a portion of protein and a portion of carbs (ex: 4oz turkey with 1/2 brown rice and veggies)

My 02. cents....

aphrodeia
04-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Good thoughts guys, thanks! I'm going to try and do the 3hr thing.... I'm up for work at 5 but don't get lunch until noon, which is impossible. I'm thinking if I have my breakfast, follow it with a snack at 9, have my lunch at 12, snack when I get home at 3ish, and dinner with the fam at 6.

I'll have to keep the Cheerios in mind. I think it's the 'hand to mouth' that I need sometimes more than anything. I'm not on any diet per se, yet, just trying to reduce calories. I'm new to this, so I'm taking wee baby steps.

Thanks again! I'll have to hit the grocery store today or tomorrow and browse.

jolee95
04-05-2004, 02:59 PM
A sampling of my snacks....

hard boiled egg
my own snack mix (raisins, odds and ends of cereal, pretzels)
small muffin
graham crackers (esp low fat ones with low fat cool whip between and then frozen :)
bagel (plain)
granola bar
string cheese with a couple crackers
1/2 pb sand
carrots (baby)

I am like you in that I am not really following a specific plan, I am just cutting everything back. This has worked for me so far, I hope this gave you a couple more ideas :)

vmelo
04-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Some of my snacks (I weigh my food, hence some of the scale measurements):

1 of those hard sourdough pretzels w/ a stick of string cheese = 160 calories

1 oz. of peanuts mixed w/ 10 grams of raisins = approx. 200 calories

banana + 1 glass of 1% milk = 200 calories

peanut butter on whole wheat crackers = ???

carrot sticks (or baby carrots) w/ Desert Pepper Black Bean dip (try to find this if you can---itís awesome, & only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons) w/ some sour cream mixed in = depend on the amounts

Partytime
04-05-2004, 05:07 PM
I like to keep pickles around for snacking. I buy the spicy ones with the less salt as possible because Pickles have no cals and no carbs.
I also keep a jar of sauerkraut in the refrigerator and just have a scoop when I need a snack of no cals or carbs. Also, I like to have a drink of low salt V8 juice when ever I get hungry because its thick and it fills me up. don't need much. Also,Shredded wheat and bran bit size cereal no sugar, thou I don't like to eat cereal in a bowl with milk, I will keep a bag of these in my desk and just eat 4 or 5 bite size pieces when I need something.

aphrodeia
04-05-2004, 07:43 PM
"Pickles have no cals and no carbs."

OMG! You're kidding! They're my FAAAAAvorite! I didn't even think to check the label, it's been a while since I bought any. Oh heck yeah!

:)

QuilterInVA
04-06-2004, 03:07 PM
If you are hungry all the time, try adding a little protein to each meal and snack. Protein keeps us feeling full hours longer than carbs. Also, some pickles have sugar so be sure to read the label.

Partytime
04-06-2004, 04:40 PM
^ your sure right about that, sweet pickles have sugar.
I get the dill but you do always gotta read the labels.

Topaz
04-06-2004, 05:04 PM
What sort of pickles are y'all talking about? The pickles I have are about 15 calories each, and mostly carbs.

bandit2
04-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Some snacks I have are: string cheese, carrot sticks, green pepper slices, cucumber slices, cup of soup, pillar turkey bites (these are 1 pt each & are like pepperoni sticks), nacho chips with ff sour cream mixed with salsa as the dip, ginger snap cookies, biscotti, ww 2 pt bar.

Hope this helps.

emilyatau
04-07-2004, 01:18 PM
I threw together my own recipe for egg rolls (and I use this term loosely) that I can keep in the fridge and heat up whenever I'm really craving something.

I buy the pre-made egg roll wraps
saute some frozen spinach and chopped onion together (no butter, just water)
cut up some tomatoes
mash up some avocado
and add some cooked rice

I don't measure anything - I guess I just try to "fill" the wrap. Then I throw them in the oven for a couple of minutes until the wrapper is cooked and voila! I like them because they taste so healthy and are better for me than cookies or potato chips. I think they're about 150 calories apiece.

aphrodeia
04-07-2004, 01:25 PM
*taps her fingers together*

Eeeeeeeexcellent.

I did make a trip to Krogers the other day and picked up some options. Got some beef sticks (60cal each, I do two for a morning snack and I'm barely hungry come lunch), tortillas (Krogers brand, 98% fat free, only 50cal each!), and lean turkey. These beef sticks are the faves so far.... WOW do those little things go a long way.

You all are fabulous!

Partytime
04-07-2004, 01:30 PM
What sort of pickles are y'all talking about? The pickles I have are about 15 calories each, and mostly carbs.

the pickles I have are Safeway brand,
they are called Zesty fresh pack kosher zesty dill spears.
they are 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 fat, and 9% sodium. and lots of pickles are 16% sodium so these are the lowest in sodium I have been able to find.
they are spicy with garlic and red bell peppers, peppercorns and are totally yummy.
but if your pickles have 15 cals and are mostly carbs, you are buying sweet pickles.

kari_berry
04-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Just a quick idea that I used when I needed a *snack*

I bought thouse little GLAD Ware cups (they look like little pudding cups and cost about 2-3 dollars) and that is EXACTLY what I used them for. I would buy instant fat free/sugar free pudding (or Jello-o) and I would fill up each cup, and when I was in a snacking mood, it would be just enough to fill me up. :)

My favorite is to make a bowl of chocolate, and a bowl of vanilla, and layer the two. Once scoop of choc. One scoop of vanilla, and so on and so forth filling each little cup. Then let them stay in the fridge until you are ready to eat one. If you fill up all the little cups, make sure you eat them before the end of a week, because they can go bad.

I also once went out and bought these REALLY neat looking plastic dessert cups from wal-mart. They come in many different colors and sizes. I would make some chocolate pudding, and buy some low fat or fat free cool whip, and layer the two in the dessert cup, filling it all the way up.

Honestly, to me, it was like HEAVEN eating this dessert! SOOO good. I'd watch a movie, and eat the pudding. Definatly a filler if you ask me. :)

Enjoy!

~ Kari ~

Partytime
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Hey Kari, I like your pudding idea..
and also, have you tried that sugar free instant hot chocolate?
I have and its not too bad,

conway_1979
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
I usually pick out something naturally low in fat and calories, such as veggies and fruit, but if I want something a little more sweet/salty, I will take a small amount of the real thing and indulge slightly. I make sure it is a VERY small amount, and it helps with cravings. This is good for me, because I never want to binge if I satisfy my craving.

stef
04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Small pitta pockets and low everything hummus plus as much salad as will fit - high carbs, low in everything else and truly filling.

I eat them cos it helps with the sweet stuff cravings. Over the last few years I have managed to wean myself free of the chocolate, sweeties and cake cravings - and it feels sooooooo good!

I tried lots of oddly flavoured things - I like the weird hummus flavourings like lemon and coriander - its bright GREEN! And that really seemed to help with the sugar cravings. I suppose my tastebuds got so confused/overworked my brain forgot to be hungry!!!!!!!

DonnaD
04-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey Party, I know what you mean with the pickles. I keep dills in the house all the time. Whole and slices. I like hormel turkey pepperoni slices with pickle chips as a snack. A serving of the turkey pepperoni is 17 of those little slices for 80 calories and 4g of fat(1.5 sat fat) which isn't the greatest, but if your having chick or turkey for you main dishes, 4g fat is not that bad. 17 slices on pickle chips or triscuits fill a large plate and it looks like you get so much. I also love red roasted peppers in the jar. Also good on triscuits or cheese. But I'm a little weird. I also keep small cans of sauercraut(sp?) on hand and will just snack on one. Sodium is a little high but I drink alot of water and it's still better than sugar which leaves me wanting more.

QuilterInVA
04-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Mt. Olive makes a sugar-free Bread 'N Butter Pickle that is very good and any kind of dill is usually close to 0 calories as well. I just got a jar of snack-size dills - about the size of gerkins that are great. I like them with a bit of cheese.

caligirl
04-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Hi Everyone! I love snacks! Here are some of my favorites:

FF tortilla with low fat cheese and salsa

FF tortilla with hummus and veggies (I buy Trader Joe's eggplant hummus, which has about 1/2 the calories of the regular stuff - and I usually add cucumber, spinach, red peppers, and shredded carrots)

FF tortilla with low fat cheese and veggies

FF tortilla with Lite Alouette herb and garlic spread and tomatoes and spinach

Lite Alouette herb and garlic spread with veggies (as a dip) peppers, carrots, broccoli

String cheese & an apple

Apple with peanut butter

Luna bar

Banana

Banana with peanut butter

Low fat graham cracker with either peanut butter OR... a few melted chocolate chips

Lite laughing cow cheese and wheat crackers

Tofurkey jerky

Guiltless gourmet tortilla chips and salsa

Healthy Choice fudge bars

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches

Strawberries

Morningstar Farms corn dogs (150 cals)

Boca Roasted Vegetable burgers only have 80 cals... You can have one on a piece of light wheat bread with sliced tomatoes or red peppers for about 125 cals

Happy snacking!

missaprylj
04-15-2004, 11:13 PM
A packet of instant oatmeal that is the regular flavor with some cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of sugar is like, 110 calories.

Oatmeal is a great, filling snack. Low cal, high fiber. High carb too though, so, sorry to all you Atkinsers and South Beachers!

kaplods
04-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi everybody, this snacking thread is making me hungry (better get to bed soon!) I love pickles, and hummus, and tortillas, and sauerkraut, and virtually everything else except canned peas, applesauce, vegetable juice as a beverage(it's ok hot as a soup base, though), and toasted coconut.

Anyway, the talk of hummus reminds me of a bean dip/spread that sounds really weird, but is really good. Take a can of beans (kidney beans, black beans, lima beans, even baked beans - but read the labels on any bean in a sauce, to make sure it's not high in fat and calories). Drain the beans (rinse them if they're not in a sauce), and put them in a food processor. At it's most basic level you can just mush up the beans and add salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste. Or, you can add some garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, pickles, ketchup or mustard, vinegar or light salad dressing (if the beans are drained you'll want to add at least a bit of moist ingredient), and mush them up along with the beans. You can mush a little (like chunky refried beans) or until you have a smooth paste. It's great on chips or toast or as a burrito filling. And the variations are endless. Don't make extra though, as the flavor is definitely best the first day.

aphrodeia
04-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Holy cow for ideas! Haven't been to the boards in almost a week, I've been miserably busy and mopey, but this is GREAT! I was getting down on myself for how much I eat yesterday, and I got an unexpected wakeup call from a coworker, who simply said "You know, if you just ate NORMAL food instead of sugar, you could get away with eating as much as you do." And she's totally right. You think I'd know this by now :lol:

Thanks for more ideas!

Ilene
04-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Sometimes it doesn't take much to get an "AH HA!" moment... Way to go, take it and run with it, because it's so true!...Eliminate the sugars even certain fruits that give you sugar cravings... For me it's a banana, can't eat just one, gotta eat 3-4, no matter how healthy bananas are if you eat 4 it's a LOT of calories AND sugar...

SeekInnerThinChick
04-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Lanaii-- whoa, you're kidding!!! I can't stand bananas, I have to force myself to eat them for the potassium content. I hate that weird aldehyde smell in the skins, also the slimy texture...

Anyway, apple and string cheese for me. Also various pickles, especially those Italian pickled vegetables with the cauliflower and carrots. Crunchy! Vinegar so strong it makes you sweat-- yum. Just about the only way I'll eat carrots, either. I dunno, somehow it just seems against nature for a vegetable to be sweet-- that's a job for fruits....

And any kind of bean salad, as the lady said above, is yummy: I just had dinner-- a cup of bean salad, a pita, and an apple. It doesn't sound like much, but the fiber really fills me up.

A piece of sourdough rye bread + 1 Tbsp. of natural peanut butter + 1 slice fat free cheddar cheese-- that's like a whole packet of peanut butter cheese crackers, but a lot more filling.

Strawberries + fat-free sour cream mixed with orange oil and/or rose oil and/or lavender (edible, organic type only) the scents and textures together are heaven on earth.

I have been known to eat an entire head of roasted garlic smooshed on a piece of toasted bread. Gets rid of pesky people pronto....