South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:28 AM   #1  

Question Cereal and Caffeine

Hi all-

I have a couple of questions. I'm still in Phase I, but I'm planning ahead for Phase II (sigh!). I plan on putting cereal back in my diet in II; can anyone recommend a good cereal that meets SBD regulations or tell me what I should be looking for? Prior to starting SBD, I was eating Kellogg's Complete Wheat Bran, but I don't know if that's acceptable under SBD.

Also, I'm confused about caffeine--can I or can't I? What's the policy here?

Thanks so much in advance. The advice on this site is amazing. Oh, that reminds me that I have one more question. I've seen references to "OP"--at least that's what I think it was--what does that mean?

Again, Thanks!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach!

Caffeine is definitely OK for most people. As to cereals, choose the ones with the highest fiber like All-Bran with extra Fiber or Fiber First. Lots of people go for cooked cereal like groats, oat bran and old fashioned oatmeal.

OP means On Program. Please check out the Frequently Asked Questions Sub-Forum for acronyms, food lists and other information.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #3  
I found my hipbones!

Default breakfast cereal & caffeine

I have to admit, the hardest part of this diet for me has been losing the soda. I was a devoted Dr. Pepper addict for years, and I haven't had one since the end of January this year when I started SBD. Diet Pepsi has been my savior, and I haven't had many problems with the caffeine giving me cravings. If it starts, I try drinking seltzer water with a tiny bit of fruit juice for flavor, and that quenches my need for fizzy things for a while.

For cereal, I've tried the Uncle Sam cereal recommended in the book (for its super low glycemic index), and by itself, I'm not all that keen on it. With 4 or 5 strawberries on top, it's not bad at all.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:11 PM   #4  

Isn't it true that we can have higher fat milk? I've been drinking skim, but I'll bet some cereal and strawberries with 2% or 1% would be really yummy, kinda like dessert. I'll bet if I ate it I'd end up eating cookies by noon, though. Once I tried having carbs for breakfast and by evening I was having ice cream and cookies, too....it was back to eggs for me the very next day.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Mppn, I cannot find anywhere that we can have higher fat milk. Have you checked out the FAQ lists?
Old 04-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #6  

Ruth,
Actually, I just checked my book...we can have 1%. I think I'm going to start buying it.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:54 AM   #7  

I tried the atkins cereals. It is a bit sweet and sort of expensive, But if you want a bowl of cereal in the morning that would be a good choice. I tried the banana walnut.

I also have been buying granola at Au Bon Pain ( coffee shope chain) and I snack on that prepackaged protion in the morning. It is 11 grams of carbs for the portion and 247 cals, but that is my alotted carb on the days I eat it for breakfast.
Closed Thread