PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #1  

Smile Hello all, I am new here

Hi guys, well I am new here and excited because I am learning lots of new stuff about PCOS. Here is my story...After the birth of my second son ( he's 7) I got that depo shot and it seems like everything with my body went wrong after that. I gained 90lbs in 6 months started getting hair on my face tons of skin tags, some even on my eyelids, and never had a normal cycle again. This is what I want...ANOTHER BABY! I have not tried to get pregnant yet, I am a large lady and frankly I am scared about my weight and being prego...so, my doctor just put me on metformin 500mg 2times a day and I am on a strict diet from an endo. Basically it's this 1 friut and milk for breakfast 1fruit 1 veggie and 1 protein for lunch and 1 fruit 1 veggie and one protein for dinner and all snacks are veggies....okay now I have a question...does what I am doing sound like it will work for losing weight? Do you have any suggestions? Oh also I have low thyriod function and I am on synthroid. Well I am looking forward to chattin with all of you.
Kapinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:47 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi there - wow, your diet sounds very restrictive! Are you eating any carbs other than fruit? I'm sure your doctor knows what is good for you, but if you start feeling washed out or weak, please talk to your doctor about it. Did he give you an exercise plan? Exercise is very important for a healthy heart and to help control the insulin resistance. Feel free to jump in and join the April Chat!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:14 PM   #3  

Hi Jennifer ,thanks for responding...The diet is very hard to follow especially since I am fixing something different than the family and not eating with them, so I am going to try something else. I hear with PCOS you should eat low carb, but I am going to try eating good carbs and see if that helps. We shall see...I have not been exercising because I hate to...but I know it's important, so I will try. I have the 3mile walk away the pounds tape. I did not realize that it helps with the IR...very interesting. What food plan is everyone doing?
Kapinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:09 PM   #4  

I got pregnant with our 4th child and weighed over 250, so I know how you are feeling. When I had him I only gained 3 pounds. What made the difference was that I biked 5 - 10 miles per day months 2-7. With my first two I gained 45, and then 15 with the third. I hope you can find the motivation to get in some exercise, it will really make you feel so much better. I also hope the metformin works for you because I lost 30 pounds right after having him, and gained it all back. Just the other day my doc Rx'd metformin, I'm afraid to take it, but after reading of all the sucesses here, I will have to give it a try.
Good luck!
Julie
wannabeslimnow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:13 PM   #5  
:) Happy :)

Default Sounds good

Hi and welcome, I to am new here!!!! Welcome! The only other suggestion would be water and lots of it, and some exercise. The food part sounds good. If you are not used to eating allot of veggies, I would increase them everyday as it will be hard for your body to digest all the fiber when your not used to it. I think the plan sounds wonderful and I wish you the best of luck. You can do it!

Mistie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapinni
Hi guys, well I am new here and excited because I am learning lots of new stuff about PCOS. Here is my story...After the birth of my second son ( he's 7) I got that depo shot and it seems like everything with my body went wrong after that. I gained 90lbs in 6 months started getting hair on my face tons of skin tags, some even on my eyelids, and never had a normal cycle again. This is what I want...ANOTHER BABY! I have not tried to get pregnant yet, I am a large lady and frankly I am scared about my weight and being prego...so, my doctor just put me on metformin 500mg 2times a day and I am on a strict diet from an endo. Basically it's this 1 friut and milk for breakfast 1fruit 1 veggie and 1 protein for lunch and 1 fruit 1 veggie and one protein for dinner and all snacks are veggies....okay now I have a question...does what I am doing sound like it will work for losing weight? Do you have any suggestions? Oh also I have low thyriod function and I am on synthroid. Well I am looking forward to chattin with all of you.
mistiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #6  

I definitely, absolutely agree on the exercise! You might have to exercise a bit more than someone who doesn't have PCOS, as we can be slow losers, but the payoff in terms of overall health is tremendous. I've not only lost weight, but all my blood numbers are now better than normal, and even my hot flashes are gone. I'm probably healthier than I've ever been in my life, and I started off two years ago at a pretty low point. I'm beginning to think exercise can cure a rainy day!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote