General Diet Plans and Questions - Eating for Life (Bill Philips)

View Full Version : Eating for Life (Bill Philips)

Suzanne 3FC
03-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Most of you have probably heard of Body for Life, by Bill Philips. He's just released a new book called Eating for Life. It's designed as a companion to BFL, and is an eating guide and recipe book. It is useful to anyone that wants to live a healthy lifestyle, and is not necessarily just for dieters. You can use it with BFL, or use it as a stand-alone eating plan. I've found myself flipping through it every time I've gone to the bookstore, so I finally made the plunge and bought a copy :)

Helpful links:
Chat with Bill Philips on WebMD about the EFL plan (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/79/96131.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})
Eating for Life official site (http://www.eatingforlife.com) which includes sample recipes and program basics. Make sure you read the Q&A.

EFL Basics:
You eat 6 times a day. This is generally small balanced meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner, two snacks (which usually are a meal replacement bar or shake, or a nutrition shake from book recipes) and a healthy dessert. You can enjoy fruits, breads, etc, and it can be adapted to fit a vegetarian lifestyle. You follow the plan 6 days a week, and then you enjoy a free day.

The recipes in the book look heavenly, including Santa Fe Chicken Soup, Balsamic Salmon Salad, Turkey Bacon Quiche, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and many more. If you already have Body for Life, you'll notice that Eating for Life includes more food choices.

Exercise is recommended, as it should be included in ANY weight loss plan. However, you don't have to follow the weight lifting routine recommended in Body for Life, unless that is your goal.

I'm planning to start the plan on Thursday, April 1. I would like to invite anyone that is curious about the plan to join me, and let's see how well we do together :) I'll post primarily in this thread, but will also look forward to joining the Ladies who Lift in their weekly support thread, for their experience in weight lifting and previous BFL expertise :) We've chosen to do this in the Diet Plans forum, though, since it can focus on the diet and many people may want to try it without making the Body for Life plunge :)

ledom
03-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Hey Suzanne,

Thanks for starting the thread. I have just started a new challenge this past Wednesday and look forward to sharing the experience w/ some others. Since I am dieting I will be approaching this with the recommended exercise as well. I actually see the exercise as the biggest challenge.

I completed a challenge about a year ago and found it a really freeing approach to eating. It is very satisfying in terms of not getting hungry. As far as EFL, well I have tried the turkey meatballs and like them a lot. I have also tried a couple of the shakes with good results.

jiffypop
03-30-2004, 12:31 AM
well. hi there folks!!!! just dropping in... 6 meals a day??? not yet!!! i still can't manage to eat 60 grams of protein plus 60 calories of carbs in a day!!!!! i can manage up to about 80-90 grams of protein, but that means almost no carbs. <sigh:> it's always SOMETHING.

so i'm looking forward to seeing how other people are doing.... it'll be fun!!!!

BfL_Cat
03-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi guys - I've been eating this way for just a year now, and I love it! It's become so ingrained that I can't imagine any other way! Hopefully I can help answer any questions you might have.

I have the EFL cookbook, and love it! My personal fave is the Lettuce Wraps, but instead of wrapping the filling in lettuce, I mix it with 1/2 cup of brown rice. I like it better than going out for Chinese! Other faves include the Singapore Shrimp, the Shrimp Scampi and the Chicken Enchilada's. I've started leaving the jalepeno out of the recipes though - obviously Bill likes things hot!
Cindy

Amarantha2
03-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi! Just wanted to add my 2 cents that IMO you've made a great choice. BFL really helped me about a year ago when I'd started to regain and stopped exercising. I never really completed the 12-week challenge but my eating and lifestyle (not to mention my body) improved a lot. I need lots more cardio than the original exercise program calls for, though, so I don't follow that part of it. I kind of do a modified version of the food program now ... modified mainly because I can't stick with it (yet) and when I manage to do well on it, my energy, mood, blood sugar, and weight start feeling much more stable. I have all the books, including the new cookbook, which I carry in the car when working just so's I can look through it for motivation. Both my doc and personal trainer approve of this way of eating ...

ledom
03-31-2004, 08:28 AM
Hey ladies. Amaranth and Cindy, great to hear your testament on the effectiveness of this WOE. Amaranth I know what you mean about looking at EFL, it has a really nice format. Also about how following the eating plan makes you feel. I describe it as a "sense of well being". Today marks the end of my first week following BFL strictly, after not following it so strictly in a while. It wasn't hard at all and I am happy to have that little success tucked in. Cindy, I look forward to being able to make your claim of a year - WOW! You need to share your story here, I know it but others might not and it is a great success story! Amaranth, your stats are very impressive - I'd love to hear your story of weight loss. Suzanne, hope your planning is coming along for your start date.

Amarantha2
03-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Ledom, after typing that post last night I decided I'm going to a more strict EFL today, too!!!! Although I do use items that aren't on the "authorized" list ... there are a lot of good whole grains products and proteins that the plan doesn't even consider, so my definition of "authorized" is a bit different than Bill's.

I usually post on the miscellaneous clubs forum but will be following this thread with interest!

Suzanne 3FC
03-31-2004, 01:52 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'm excited about starting this. It looks like the most balanced diet plan I've seen in a long time, and it can work for any goals from getting in better shape to losing weight. I hope to see you all here, and we can share tips and support, though I suspect this will be very easy to follow :)

Ledom, everything is planned and ready, thanks! I've dusted off my dumbbells :p , been to the grocery store, and according to UPS tracking, my Myoplex Lite will be delivered on Thursday. I have to admit that I considered not using the Myoplex, as I've never been a fan of buying special products for a diet, and I do have budget concerns. However, I really need to focus on building and toning muscle and it appears the extra proteins will be helpful. I have a lot to learn about it. Anyway, Vitaglo is having a big sale on Myoplex Lite, and this is part of what encouraged me to go for it. A 42 packet variety pack is $39.19 and a 20 pack is $21.40, with free shipping over $50. That's the cheapest price I've found anywhere, even cheaper than ebay. I'll probably order more, to stock up before the sale ends. Do you all use the Myoplex?

BfL_Cat
03-31-2004, 08:31 PM
I've actually answered this before on another thread, so sorry for the repeat to some of you.... But yes, I use Myoplex Lite - twice daily. Cappuccino Ice for meal one, after working out, and a flavor from the variety pack for my fourth meal of the day.

I agree Suzanne - without using it, I'd never get enough protein in. And, just fyi, I also have added protein in my last meal of the day - it's usually old-fashioned oatmeal, prepared, with chocolate protein powder mixed in. Yummy!
Cindy

Amarantha2
04-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately, I got so inspired yesterday I bought some of my favorite Myoplex Lite bars (cinnamon roll) and the package rose up to attack me at about 9:30 p.m., so I had a really high cal day ... but these are better than the candy bars that have been slipping in daily. My whole day was EFL, although I do seven official meals instead of six. I use a spreadsheet divided into seven sections to log in the meals and automatically count the calories for me, as I need to know how many calories I'm eating.

I used to order the bars online but sometimes they ended up sitting outside in the Arizona sun for a few hours before I got home, so now I get them at the health food store. I use a different kind of protein powder, though, and love adding it to muffins, etc. Was looking at the cookbook yesterday and saw the recipe for french toast using the powder ... what a great idea for Sunday morning!!!!

I'm sure everyone is also aware there are some good software products out there for keeping track of BFL in your handhelds if you use them.

Suzanne, thanks for posting this thread. It's kind of pumped me up to go back on the program!!!!

Let's go out there and make this day a fabulous day ON PROGRAM!!!! Every day counts!!!!! :cheer:

Suzanne 3FC
04-01-2004, 10:55 AM
I'm glad you are here with us! Don't worry about the bars. That's probably the sort of thing you usually just do once, lol. I don't think I'll buy the bars because I'll find them too tempting. I'd rather have something that I have to take the time to prepare, so it's not an easy grab.

The french toast recipe sounds yummy! I don't have vanilla flavored protein powder, but I do have some pure soy protein powder. I guess I could use that, add a packet of Splenda, and a drop or two of vanilla. Darn, now I'm wishing I had that this morning ;) I had the egg enchiladas, and they were pretty good!

Now I'm off to exercise. I can't exercise on an empty stomach.

Good luck everyone!

ledom
04-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Goodmorning - yes thanks for the thread Suzanne! I have not used the myoplex lite shakes until just this week when I bought a handful locally to try before committing to a large order. My first order to Vitaglo must be leaving on the same truck as yours, I am expecting it to be here soon. I haven't tried the bars at all but ordered a box of those as well.

The recipe that has me most intrigued in EFL at the moment are the Greek Pinwheels. When I first got EFL it schocked me because of some of the foods it allows. I read BFL a little over a year ago and I am afraid that I was not as creative as I might have been, thinking chicken, eggwhites, yams, brown rice, and oatmeal were about it. Not that I haven't enjoyed those foods but EFL opened my eyes to a nicer variety.

http://www.skwigg.com/ is my favorite BFL related website. Amaranth, her take on food choices might interest you. She wrote a great essay on BFL vs. EFL under the link things to read.

The challenge that I have started is different in a few subtle ways. First, the addition of shakes, the other is that I am paying more attention to some of the details of the plan. In EFL, the way he divides the foods into breakfast, mid-meals, lunch, etc. has me looking at what I eat at what time of day.

Suzanne 3FC
04-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Great site! I'm going to enjoy looking through it, she looks wonderful!

I wasn't very impressed with the food plan in the BFL book, and I think that's one of the reasons I never gave it much consideration. I am one of those nutters that thinks you should enjoy your meals if you plan to stick to a diet. Brown rice and egg whites aren't at the top of my food wish list :) Plus, I had reviewed the reader contributed recipes on the BFL site and wasn't really impressed. It was too much like a diet, if you know what I mean. It was really flipping through the Eating for Life book that made me do a double-take, and consider not only the diet, but the body building (or should I say body improving) end as well. I also love the way he gives the recipes per meal group, it makes it so easy to follow. If I'm wrong, then please correct me, but I think you can choose any breakfast to go with any lunch to go with any dinner. Each meal seems to be properly balanced, so you don't need plan the whole day, you just need to pick a meal.

Vitaglo ships fast!! I placed my order Sunday morning, and it was on the truck Monday :)

Amarantha2
04-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Yo! Thanks for the link, Ledom. I'm going to check it out!

Hmmm. Unfortunately, Suzanne, that's the kind of thing I do all too often ... hence the weight problem! :)

Did really well today ... too heavy on the bars but kept in the context of my seven meals ... I post all my menus with the CCRRMM's in the misc. clubs forum so I won't repeat what I ate but I agree that the "authorized" foods have expanded in the newer program. But I've always simply interpreted it as balancing a low glycemic carb, a protein, and some good fats and produce. When I'm doing this program (or even when I'm not), if I have a very high glycemic carb, I balance it with some protein. It really helps. My nutrition has always been very bad and this is the only eating style that has ever helped me.

Suzanne, brown rice actually is one of my favorite foods ... I make a batch and mix a little sf apricot preserves in it, portion it in foil packets and micro to go with chicken or fish. Without the apricot, it's good to stir fry with frozen vege or something. I can't stand white rice anymore! :)

Definitely you can mix any of the cookbook recipes with any other ... and make up your own carb/protein combos using the recipes as a guide. I keep experimenting with muffins (and foisting the recipes on the CCRRMMs) ... like double corn muffins using mostly whole wheat flour (and a little white flour), cottage cheese, cornmeal and frozen corn ... because I need portable mini meals on my job.

Anyway, sorry, I am rambling. I do that a lot. I'm calling this Day 1 of my new modified EFL initiative! Everytime I eat this way I start to feel better in as little as one day.

Have fun everyone!

Re the bodybuilding, IMO, BFL is a really good guide. I like the way he uses the peaks and valleys re intensity, although it isn't enough cardio for me. I have a personal trainer so I basically do what she suggests but it seems to me you can't go far wrong following the BFL ... the journal has it all laid out rather nicely ... if you don't have it, it's worth getting.

Suzanne 3FC
04-02-2004, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas! Even the brown rice with apricot sounds :)

Btw, have you tried freezing the bars? If they have to thaw before you eat them, then that might help keep them at bay, at least long enough to change your mind. I have a couple of boxes of Shape-Up bars in my freezer :) I know that Dr. Phil's Shape-Up bars aren't the healthiest of bars, but Amazon had them on clearance a few weeks ago at 4.99 per box of 12. Who could resist? My son loves them, though, so they probably wont' last long.

I agree on the amount of cardio. I know my body, and 20 minutes x 3 times per week = weight gain. I need something daily. Besides, I enjoy it. Having a personal trainer sounds nice. Do you find that it helps?

Good luck on Day 2 :)

ledom
04-02-2004, 08:13 AM
http://www.eatingforlife.com/recipes/nutrition.asp

I realize that website is a page from the site you gave us earlier Suzanne - just wanted to point it out for the calorie counters in case you hadn't found it yet.

I did make the Greek pinwheels yesterday and I recommend them. I think they'll be even better the second day. While I was at it I doubled the recipe - with the thought that they'll be easy to take to work.

Amaranth - I am a southern girl and I MISS cornbread. I searched your regular site but couldn't find the recipe so if you are so inclined would you post it here or send me the link.

This whole thing is about losing weight, but then it is about more than that too. I am trying not to focus on that to the point I get myself all worked up about it. On the other hand I had a good weigh-in this morning so I want to share. Down 3 lbs. since starting a week and a half ago. I am going to keep track from Friday weigh-ins.

On workouts - well, I am going to rely on the 20 minute cardios 3 times a week. I do the weights a bit differently though. I have been lifting for a little over a year about 85% of the time and I am doing one body part a week.

BfL_Cat
04-02-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm still holding out on the extra cardio thing.... I'm testing out to see if just really pushing the intensity of the 20MAS will do it for me. I've just graduated to Spinning for my cardio, so I'll let you know how that goes. Everytime I've switched equipment, I've seen my body fat% drop. I started walking, then went to recumbent bike, then switched to the elliptical, but have been using it for months. I'm one of those people who will never run, unfortunately, because I believe that to be the ultimate cardio for fat loss... But my joints just can't take it :(
Cindy

BfL_Cat
04-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Eating for Life in Woman's World!

See the March 30th issue - it's the cover story "Pig Out Every Weekend and Lose 5# a Week!" Inside it features a few of the BFL champions and has a one-week menu plan.

The story does mention that although the diet allows for eating anything you want on the 7th day, that eventually people will find their "free days" not so free - you just stop wanting all the junk. Personally, I feel pretty crappy if I eat a lot of sugary stuff, so my free days/meals tend to just revolve around bread and/or cheese - my favorites! Oh, and wine or cocktails!
Cindy

Suzanne 3FC
04-03-2004, 08:50 PM
I glimpsed through that article, but didn't read it all (didn't buy it) I noticed that they did a good job making it sound like a fad diet, and I thought they twisted things around. If I recall correctly, they said you could do BFL without any exercise :?: and they stressed that you could pig out on donuts and pizza. They left out a lot of details. Oh well, I guess if anyone is interested in the plan, they'll buy the book and then get the whole story :)

I agree about the free days. I guess if I were starting this plan as a beginning dieter, then I would be tempted to take advantage of the free days at first. I'm used to a healthy way of eating, though, and the idea of pigging out doesn't appeal to me at all. However, I'll enjoy knowing that I don't have to worry so much whenever we have family birthday dinners (every month) or other occasions where the choices aren't always as good. Another thing I like about this program would be the nutrition shakes, as they satisfy my sweet tooth :)

ledom
04-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Hi folks. I got my vitaglo shipment yesterday and tried the Cappucino Ice for breakfast. I liked it. And, I will make greek pinwheels again - the appetizer, dip type recipes are appealing to me. I plan to try the tuna dip one and the salsa dip one. I was at a yoga/meditation workshop all day. I am trying to incorporate some of those things into my lifestyle and I think I can make it work, it's my goal anyway. One of the requirements for today was to eat light - I was able to do that and get in everything though it wasn't exactly a normal eating day.

I am looking for that BFL journal but wasn't able to find it locally. I will have to look it up at Amazon.

Hey girls - I want muscles! Don't forget to set your clocks forward.

Jennifer 3FC
04-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Eeek! I had hoped to have everything read and be ready to go by tomorrow, but I don't think I am going to make it. Suzanne, I need to get my BF% again at your house, too.

Why is there never enough time in the day? I am trying to read the links posted here, and also the body building links that MrsJim and a few others posted on this weeks LWL thread, but I keep getting side tracked with emails and trivial things, like dinner and sleep! Maybe I should print it all, unplug the computer, and spend the night on the couch reading.

ledom
04-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Welcome to BFL/EFL Jennifer. I hear you on the busy days. I remember when I first started BFL the learning curve seemed so high. It will come though. I have to be honest. I have read BFL several times but I bought EFL for the recipes. I do intend to read the rest of it very soon though.

This has been a good weekend. I took a free meal Friday morning but that has been all this week. I may need another mid-week as I will be involved in some travel and disrupted days, but hope to just have what I need to keep those free meals at bay.

Good luck to everyone as you prepare for a new week. I have some cooking, blending, preparing to do myself before I can call it a day.

Amarantha2
04-05-2004, 12:55 AM
Yo, all! This thread is very interesting. My computer crashed and I had several consecutive "free" days because I couldn't post on 3FC and just kind of gave up and ate, proving the value of this site!!!! Anyhow, I had an "official" free day today as a test and ate a bunch of junk (posted on the CCRRMM food/exercise thread) and find myself looking forward to not eating anymore junk food for the rest of the week!!! I think I'm committed!!!! Yay! Next Sunday, I don't think the free day will be as extensive!!!

Ledom, I can't find the recipe either. I stored some of those in the computer but it crashed. I basically took a corn muffin recipe from my mother's old cookbook and used half whole wheat flour, half self rising flour, baking powder, cornmeal, frozen corn kernals, fat free cottage cheese, Eggbeaters, protein powder, a little canola oil and probably a few other things. I wasn't officially doing EFL then but now realize that's what I was going for ... a healthy balanced delicious muffin mini meal to take with me on the job ... I've been experimenting with a lot of muffin recipes that fit BFL. If I make the corn muffins again, I'd replace all the white flour with whole wheat and use more baking powder.

Suzanne, I refrigerate the bars but it's all too easy to zap 'em in the microwave! I'm probably not going to buy anymore for awhile after this box is gone. I do better when I actually cook! I'll just make my own bars!

And, yes, the personal trainer has made all the difference to me this past year! I can't believe how helpful it's been, especially with the weight training, but also the cardio and yoga.

BFL Cat: Is spinning fun? They don't have a class in my gym but I'd love to try it. Sometimes I try to replicate it on the recumbent bike, but it's just not cool! :)

Jennifer: Sometimes I think that if I actually exercised and cooked for as much time as I spend reading about exercising and cooking healthy, I'd be a lot further along than I am ... :)

I'm calling this Day One again (it was an official free day)!

Had an all-fruit smoothie tonight (frozen berries, water, blended) because I was craving something healthy ... but usually I blend cottage cheese with the frozen fruit (any kind) and it fits the BFL eating style ... planning on this for breakfast!

ledom
04-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Amaranth, glad you're back. I'll repeat once again one of my favorite BFL sayings, you are only 2 hrs. away from your next clean meal and being back on the diet.

I think I ordered the wrong kind of bars. They are EAS, but they have 300 cal., I was interested in the ones w/ something closer to 200 cal. I'll just have to spread them out and learn better what to order in the future.

Did a little short yoga session already and am headed to the basement for my back workout. Hope everyone's day goes well.

Suzanne 3FC
04-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Ledom, I love the cappucino ice, too! I haven't tried it plain yet, but am following one of MrsJim's suggestions to add a little bit of sugar free butterscotch pudding mix to it. It's yummy! I took a few packages of SF pudding mix and put them in an unused spice jar, so I can easily spoon it out. I used 1 1/2 tsp of the mix in one packet of myoplex.

The pinwheels sound good! I'll make them one day when Jennifer is coming for lunch. I love that most of the recipes are designed for only one or two servings.

My computer crashed and I had several consecutive "free" days because I couldn't post on 3FC and just kind of gave up and ate, proving the value of this site!!!!
:lol: Maybe that should be added as one of the Rules of Dieting: Calories don't count if you can't get online to report them :)

Amarantha, contratulations on a brand new Day One! I like what ledom said, that you are only 2 hours away from being back on diet. That should be stressed in all weight loss diets. About the bars, have you ever tried making your own? I've searched the net looking for energy bar recipes, there aren't many out there that sound well balanced. The general idea seems to be that chocolate chips are an excellent source of energy ;)

This is going to be a good week for us all, I just have a feeling about it :)

Jennifer 3FC
04-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I still don't know what I am supposed to be eating, but this morning I had some bran (its a requirement!) and 1 percent milk before working out and a 1 egg, 2 white spinach omelet afterward. I have no clue what to do for the rest of the day. I'll just have to take it one meal at a time! (Will keep reading on lunch break!)

ledom
04-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Suzanne - I am with you, I think it is going to be a great week for us all. I think it is going to be a great 12 week challenge. Jennifer - did you figure out what to eat yesterday? Thought I'd list my meals, I won't do it daily but it was a pretty good day I think.

Breakfast - 1/2 c. steel cut oats w/ 1 scoop choc. protein powder, 1/2 c. cottage cheese and 1/2 cup fresh strawberries w/ splenda all mixed together - would never think to eat this pre BFL but now it's a favorite

Snack - vanilla EAS shake w/ 1 T UDOs

Lunch - Greek pinwheel (more of a wrap since I didn't slice it)

Snack - nutrition bar, had about 220 cals.

Supper - BFL chili -I'd be happy to share it here if anyone wants it, 1 T parmesan cheese

meal 6 - 1 c oatmeal, 2 scoops protein powder, 1/4 c. skim milk

I had a long stretched out day yesterday so my meals were a little further apart. I was really ready to eat at each meal but went to bed satisfied. I was ravenous this a.m. but breakfast took care of that. Frequent meals are a good thing.

Have a good day everyone.

Jennifer 3FC
04-06-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm not totally sure I am eating like I should - but haven't officially started yet as I haven't bought weights. Here was what I had today:

1 1/2 bran, skim milk
1 egg, 2 white spinach omelet

2 yogurt, almonds

3 salad with peas, carrots, tomatoes, ham and parmesan

4 Zone Bar (waitng for my Myoplex to arrive)

5 Chilli

6 Not happened yet!

Any thing tasty I can make with ricotta? I have some that needs to be used.

ledom
04-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Jennifer I haven't tried this but it does have 5 stars on the L&S healthy recipe list.

You'll need to add more protein to you meals when you start lifting - that is what I see from looking at your menu. Generally when I have eggs I have 6 whites and 1 yolk for example.

Lasagne

Sauce:
1 lb. Ground Turkey
1 large (16-18oz) can tomato sauce
1 8 oz. Can diced tomatoes
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. Italian seasoning

Cheese Mixture:
2 eggs, beaten (eggbeaters)
15 oz. Low Fat Ricotta cheese
14 oz. Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. chopped parsley
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper

Veggie Mixture:
Total of ~4 cups finely chopped raw veggies. Try the following:
Spinach Mushrooms
Carrots Zucchini
Broccoli Etc.
1 8 oz. Pkg. Whole wheat Lasagna noodles (uncooked)
~½ lb. Mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Brown and drain the meat, add the rest of the sauce ingredients and simmer on med-low heat while preparing other ingredients, stirring occasionally.

3. Combine cheese mixture ingredients and set aside.

4. Chop and combine veggies.

5. Assemble as follows in a 9 x 13 pan:

1) 1/5 sauce
2) ½ pasta
3) 1/5 sauce
4) ½ cheese mix
5) ½ veggies
6) ½ mozzarella
7) 1/5 sauce
½ pasta
9) 1/5 sauce
10) ½ cheese mix
11) ½ veggies
12) ½ mozzarella
13) 1/5 sauce

** Note: Break uncooked noodles to fit pan. Make noodles 1-2 inches shorter than the pan as they will expand as they cook.

6. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 min. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve with grated Parmesan cheese. 12 Servings.

Jennifer 3FC
04-06-2004, 11:58 PM
That sounds really good! I will try this one day soon. I need to start using FitDay so I know where I'm at. I had wanted to start lifting today, but when I was shopping for equipment it occurred to me that I am going ot have a hard time with lower body. I have bad knees and I don't think lunges or squats will be good for me. I'm not sure what to buy! I was going to do standard dumb/barbells but now maybe I should rethink the regimen and do weights another way.

Amarantha2
04-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Yo! Everyone's looking good and on track on this thread!!!! Me, too, although I had too many calories today (mine's a MODIFIED EFL and I eat seven meals)!!! I was really pleased that when stress hit this evening, I resisted the urge to go out for candy or ice cream and sliced an apple ... of course, I needed TWO carb control shakes to balance that and came out high in the calorie department, but it's proof to me that the blood sugar control I get with this eating plan really helps balance my moods!!

I'm calling this Day 3!!!

Suzanne: I have made some energy bar type things but haven't perfected a recipe yet ... going to work on that. Might buy another box of the Myoplex Lites, though.

Ledom: Thanks for posting the lasagna recipe. It looks delicious! Thanks for making the point about the 2 hours away from the next "clean" meal! That's so true ... one of my eating problems (among the many) is NOT eating something healthy if I've broken down and had a donut or something ... calories do count, but starving the body of nutrients is NOT the way to go!

Jennifer: I post my meals on the CCRRMM's food and exercise thread (misc. clubs forum). Here's what I had today, but this isn't really a good representation of the right way to do the plan ... e.g., I need more variety, more vege and shouldn't double up servings as I did today (usually I don't) and there are too many supplements. The numbers are calories ... I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my eating ... I plan it out on one spreadsheet the night before and then enter the actual meals in another spreadsheet ... I've set up the spreadsheet to count the calories ... although in BFL you don't really need to count calories ... just get the portions right (except I don't so I count).

Myoplex Lite Bar 190
EAS van CC shake 100

2 Myoplex Lite bars 380
EAS van CC shake 100

*2 svgs apricot-curry chicken 200
*(chicken breast filets baked w/sf apricot preserves & curry powder)
Brown rice w/apricots 250
Broc w/lf cheese sauce 50

Toasted whole wheat Eng muffin w/butter spray 130
EAS van CC shake 100

2 toasted whole wheat Eng muffins w/butter spray 260
EAS van CC shake 100

Apple 90
2 EAS van CC shakes 200

Total 2150

I've been trying to get away from anything sweet but toyed with the idea yesterday of trying some of the EFL pudding recipes ... the one in the book with the protein enriched butterscotch pudding in a cloud of Cool Whip got to me ... this is definetely a kinder, gentler BFL!!!! Cool Whip?! :0

lhendricks
04-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Try this with your Myoplex - 12 oz. of water, 5-6 ice cubes and 1 T. of s/f pudding mix. I use a wand blender and a huge plastic glass and really blast it until it gets really thick. You can even stick it in the freezer for awhile. I usually eat it with a spoon, making it last 15 minutes or more.

Amarantha2
04-08-2004, 04:08 PM
That looks really good, lhendricks!!! I need to try that ... I think I'd especially like it frozen! Thanks for posting it!

Guys, due to technical difficulties (e.g, an uncontrollable lust for dulce de leche), I'm having yet another off program day and am going to try to do well tomorrow and Saturday, but am really cancelling my official EFL start day until Sunday. I do my weight management in three-week "initiatives" and am starting a new one on Easter.

I'm really wanting to stick to EFL aka BFL eating and I want my only "free" days to be Sundays ... so, I'll be back to see how everyone's doing on Sunday! :)

ledom
04-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Good morning friends. I just wanted to check in after my busy, busy week. I get today off in reward for two 12 hour days in a row. I am happy to say that I stayed on the straight and narrow with food and exercise. I am also being rewarded on the scale. I was actually down 3 lbs. for this week - I must take into account that I slept late and my weigh-in was after a bit longer nights fast than last fridays. Finally I have gotten down to pre-thanksgiving/birthday/christmas weight, and can look forward to meeting some new numbers on the scale.

I did have anote on the greek pinwheel recipe I have been talking about. My first batch I made w/ whole wheat organic tortillas from the health food store, they turned out much better than the ones I made w/ Mission whole wheat tortillas, those had a bit of a doughy sweet tastes that I didn't like as well.

This weekend really has to be a cooking, cleaning, weekend. I have neglected the house for the work and it has reached disaster proportions.

Ilene
04-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Congrats on your weight loss Ledom! :high:

Suzanne 3FC
04-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi guys! Ledom, come spend next weekend with me and we can do my house, next ;) I'm a slob. I'm a CLEAN slob, but a cluttered slob. Congratulations on getting down to you pre-holiday weight! Great way to start the Spring :)

Lhnedricks, that sounds good, sounds like a Wendy's Frosty!! :lol:

Amarantha, I like the idea of the 3 week initiatives! Short goals are nice, and easier to reach!

I'm still following plan, and it's still easy! I tried the Pina Colada shake recipe from the book and was disappointed. It wasn't Pina or Colada enough for me. Very blah. I might add more pineapple next time. The supermarket only had imitation coconut flavoring. I don't recall ever seeing real coconut extract, I wonder if they make such a thing? I tried the Key Lime shake today, and was kind of disappointed with it, too. I LOVE lime, but this didn't taste good. It was probably because the only limeade concentrate they had at WalMart was the nearly generic Great Value brand. Maybe a better brand would taste better. Hmmm, I should look at the Bacardi Mixer frozen concentrates! I wonder how much sugar they have, I've never read the label.

Tomorrow is my free day! I would prefer Sundays on a normal basis, but I have plans tomorrow night, so there we go.

Jennifer 3FC
04-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Just a quick check in - I still don't have the hang of this, so I'll just eat 'reasonably' and keep trying to get the hang of 6 meals with my work schedule, and then I will shoot for starting Monday. I went out today to buy weights and everybody was out! I suppose a lot of lucky ones had the day off for Good Friday and they all went shopping. I would have never made it back to work in time, so I passed and will probably go back out for them tomorrow.

I think my best bet is to make a menu for the whole week, and on Sundays I can make sure I have enough to get me through the week. At least for a while, to keep me on track and prepared.

Congratulations to the losers!

Amarantha2
04-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Yo! Just saying, "Hi!" I'm starting my next three week weight management initiative today but decided not to stick to BFL right now ... although I kind of eat this way naturally, but I'm going to reduce protein starting today and also have treats during the week rather than risking the binges I've been having. Looking forward to lurking on this thread, though, and seeing how you're all doing ...

Yowza! :cheer:

ledom
04-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Good morning - Just a note to say Happy Easter and good luck to Amaranth. BFL_Cat who has posted her a couple times just finished a year of BFL w/ great results. She has shared w/ me that the way she handles free day is to have 3 free meals a week, that way they are there when she really needs them. I thought I would adopt that approach for myself on this challenge. Anyway, wish you would stick around and good luck to you.

Jennifer, how is it going gathering your gear? I know what you mean about avoiding the stores in the crowds. Is it hard for you to take breaks at work? At my job it isn't so hard to take breaks, but it did take a while to figure out what kind of food would work considering storage, preparation, etc. And while taking a break is allowed, finding the time when things get hectic is a challenge.

Suzanne, I'd love to hang out w/ you and maybe a cleaning partner would make me better at it, but....I am not that great at it on my own. I have made some progress on my good intentions but still so much to do. I do have to do some cooking this afternoon. I plan to make the meatloaf from EFL, it is a staple for me and I really like it. I also like that it is very easy to cook. I think that is one of the highpoints of EFL recipes, they don't take long to make.

ledom
04-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Good morning EFL/BFLers. Hope you guys are ready for a great week. I did get my cooking done and have written out what I plan to eat today. Kind of glad to get the weekend behind me. I seem to be able to control my appetite better when I am busy. Working arms today.

Jennifer 3FC
04-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi Ledom, today I buy my new weights. It normally isn't too hard to leave work because there are usually 2 management people there. However, this past Fri and Sat it was just me, so I couldn't leave for too long at a time. Today I have the day off and most everybody is back in school, so it should be a good day to shop!

Suzanne 3FC
04-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi guys! I'm still hanging in :) I had my free day Saturday, but it didn't feel much like a free day. I stayed on plan most of the day, and went to a family dinner that night. I had a small amounts of a variety of foods including spinach casserole, lean ham, one half of a deviled egg, a roll, and a serving of banana pudding. Darn, my free day was supposed to be more fun than that :lol: I didn't have any cadbury eggs, chocolate bunnies, or jelly beans!

Amarantha, good luck with your new plan, and we hope to see you here every now and then to share your wisdom :)

Ledom, I never get anything done if someone is with me, because we always end up just yakking the whole time! I'm easily distracted ;) I did arms today, too. Hope you had a great OP day :)

ledom
04-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey Suzanne - On your free day level headedness. Does this mean we're growing up? Mine was equally as unspectacular - but you know what, today I am so glad. I had a near miss last night when I ALMOST talked myself into it being alright to go ahead and run through the drive thru at fast food city. You know that little devil that whispers in your ear, you've been good, it's Sunday night, this would be a real treat, nothing again until next free day. I knew I had had enough extra and it was time to shut down on free day.

So far today has been right on.

I had:

1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 c strawberries

myoplex lite shake

greek pinwheel

myoplex bar

turkey meatloaf, boiled potato, broccoli

a little later I will have EFL strawberry cheesecake.

on the cheesecake, I am not sure I'll make it again. On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd give it 7.5 in taste and a 5 for filling me up like I need food to. Actually, when I first finish eating it I want another piece, but if I just hold on I start feeling full - if that makes sense. It makes 8 servings and w/ just one person eating it I think it is just a little dangerous in that I want 2 servings for my one serving. Think I'll be ok w/ it though.

Jennifer - hope weight shopping went well. I read you like to work out to videos. I used to really love working out to Firm videos that incorporate weights. I think it was the Tough Tape I liked best. I know they have newer ones now but I really like that one tape out of several I owned. I really credit those tapes to getting me going w/ lifting. The tape had a nice lunge where you actually used a prop, like a chair back or a broom stick to hold onto while lunging. I also started out doing lunges by not dipping very far. Once you isolate the muscle you are working and flex it, I think a low lunge can do you good, espcially when first starting.

ledom
04-12-2004, 11:39 PM
oops, I meant to say a "not so low" lunge

Suzanne 3FC
04-13-2004, 12:34 AM
I like the idea of a "not so low" lunge :) I'm cursed with the same bad knees as Jennifer!

The cheesecake sounds good! But I agree, 8 servings can be too dangerous to have around! That's one of the things I enjoy most about the book, is that most of the recipes serve one or two. That helps, a lot! I'm just one person :)

Ledom, do you ever experience anything strange after you drink a Myoplex? Jennifer and I were comparing notes tonight, and we both feel strange. Weird is the word that comes to mind. We feel edgy, kind of nervous, and have a variety of other symptoms. The only thing we can find to attribute it to is the Myoplex, since we both experience it after drinking them. I read the label and along with the protein and vitamins, it also contains Garcinia and a few other things in small print. Do you ever have side effects?

ledom
04-13-2004, 01:17 AM
hmmmm, I haven't noticed that Suzanne. Now that you mention it I will pay closer attention though.

Jennifer 3FC
04-13-2004, 01:20 AM
My symptoms were a little rougher than Suzanne's but I have problems with anxiety and I also have a fear of anxiety :lol: so feeling that weird feeling probably pushed me into a 'real' panic attack. It's also wiping my appetite out. I drink one and then I feel gaggy for a while.

Does anybody know of a shake that is similar? I miss my old smoothies! Maybe that is one of the gaggy side effects of this. The stuff has the consistency of pancake batter. I'm not using ice in them, just whipping them up with water and a handheld blender.

ledom
04-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Jennifer, there are lots of shake recipes circulating out there. Here are a few. Here is how I do my myoplex lite, I have a blender that will crush ice so first I put 6 to 8 ice cubes and blend until it is slivers of ice. While I am doing that I put my water in a glass w/ a few more ice cubes to cool it down. I pour the water and the xtra cubes in the blender along w/ the myoplex and 1 T UDOs oil. Blend until all the ice is crushed. Then, if I can wait that long I put it in the freezer for 5 or 10 mintues, it is very slushy. I didn't like the shakes too much before I started adding all the ice.

I have read that a lot of people like Grow Protein Powder to make shakes but I have never tried it. I use MetRx protein powder to add to oatmeal and some recipes and I have made shakes using it as well. I do have side effects from it so I have to limit the amount. It makes me bloat and belch - more than you wanted to know.

Jodie's Berrie-Yummy Smoothie:
(Great for breakfast or an "in between" major meals)

1 cup cottage cheese
4oz skim OR soy milk
1/2 cup fresh/frozen strawberries
1/2 cup non-fat Blueberry yogurt (Yoplait)
1/2 cup non-fat Vanilla Yogurt (Yoplait)
1/2 Banana
2 ice cubes

Throw all ingredients into blender! Serve and Enjoy! You'll love it!

Makes about 2 8oz cups (but don't drink them both, don't be afraid to SHARE!! Heehee):
Cals: 400
Protein: 31 grams
Carbs: 45 grams
Fat: (trace)

3/4 cup lf cottage cheese
1/4 cup of lf yogurt
1/2 cup mixed frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries - or those you have on hand, but don't skip on the blues)
2 tsp. flax seed
1/3 cup chrystal lite (your preference - I like cranberry)

(Add Ice if you are using fresh berries)

Blend, pour, drink - yum.

Strawberry Smoothie

1, 8-ounce carton plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
3 packets Equal®or 1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes or 2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
3 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup ice cubes

In a blender container, combine yogurt, milk and Equal®. With the blender running, add berries a few at a time through opening in the lid. Blend until smooth, then add ice cubes one at a time, blending until slushy. Pour into glasses. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition information per serving (6-ounce):
82 cal., 4 g pro., 17 g carbo., 0 g fat, 1 mg chol., 58 mg sodium

Jennifer 3FC
04-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the recipes! I'm going to try and find a powder this week that is similar in protein and calories that the Myo Lite has.

ledom
04-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Good morning, A quick check in on how the diet is going. Good, I think. This EFL strawberry cheesecake I made is a revelation. Still half of it left, I had a piece for breakfast this a.m. I think it works better at that meal. I always did like a sweet with coffee for breakfast, also seemed to fill me up better than in the evening. It seems like the last meal of the day I need somethiing that really satisfies and sticks with me more than I do at that first meal. Also, an 1/8th of a 9" pie is such a smaller piece than I'm used to. This morning as I sat looking at it on my plate it was a bit of a revelation in that it is a normal size serving, and it really is ok. I don't have to have a double serving, I can do this. So much for my soliloquy of the cheesecake.

Did legs this morning.

Amarantha2
04-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Yo! Just lurking from ice cream land (I decided to put it back in my diet!!)!!! Re Myoplex, Jennifer, IMO you should definetely not drink any shake if you get that "weird" feeling, especially since you've mentioned you're sensitive to sugar, I think. I dunno, but IMO, EAS supplements are not as trustworthy as when Bill Phillips had the company (sorry, not meaning to bash any business ... I've just noticed the formulas have been changed and they don't seem as reliable as they once did, but I could be mistaken)! That said, I personally drink tons (too many) of their AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes ... it's a lower price, mass marketed version of their Myoplex Carb Sense (if this sounds complicated, it is), which has a bit more protein, costs more and is a bit creamier (but I don't like the taste as well). They also have these in powder form. I am not an Atkinsy-type person, so I only use these shakes as a protein and eat carbs along with them. Again, I drink too many and my protein intake is too high (working on it), but they maybe could serve as Myoplex in your eating plan if you wanted Myoplex.

There are tons of good protein drinks, powders and bars out there ... would just a simple, cheap soy or whey powder with no sugar fit the bill?

I also like Designer Whey products a lot ... I think they have low carb varieties now but I just keep the vanilla praline powder on hand ... it makes a quick shake with water or can be mixed with food. It's expensive and has sugar.

I like all-fruit smoothies (a serving of frozen fruit, maybe Splenda, and water, blended with hand blender) or fruit and cottage cheese smoothies. I also love frozen peaches, Splenda, skim milk powder and maybe some vanilla extract. Tastes like peach ice cream.

I make these in very small amounts just for myself ... I use frozen fruit because you can just keep it on hand and also I don't need ice cubes. Very simple.

You can make a smoothie with frozen vegetables as well ... either with or without a protein ... cottage cheese works well in this.

If you're using yogurt and don't want to add any other dairy or soy, you can now (courtesy of the low carb craze) get low carb yogurt ... IMO, you can count that as a protein in the BFL plan, since the protein count is higher than the carb.

Anyway, I've rambled enough for a lurker, so ...

:wave:

Jennifer 3FC
04-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I need to take my empty Myoplex Lite package and head to the health food store and start comparing labels. I've been to both of my health food stores in town and neither carry EAS. That sort of worried me, since they both have a huge selection of powders and bars. I should ask them why, and see if they have an alternative.

I did well on eating today. I finally got to lift weights! :) Had to do them on my coffee table :( But soon I hope to borrow my nephews table, at least until I get one for myself. SO MUCH going on in my life right now. Hopefully I'll have time to get more organized. I'm doing this by the seat of my pants, and I don't want to screw up. So far so good!

ledom
04-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Hey Jennifer, by the seat of the pants is how I felt when I started too. Getting all the components in place can take a while but I think it's great that you aren't waiting until everything is perfect. You know, you don't even have to do shakes, they can be a convenience but they aren't essential. I am trying new things this go around and I think it is good for me to do that. It is very easy for me to find a few favorites and eat them day in and day out just because it is easier. The theory is that it is probably better not do that, to have a variety that offers a wider selection of nutrients to keep you healthy. Tonight for my last meal I had two pieces of string cheese and an apple per one of the EFL snack suggestions, that was pretty convenient.

Suzanne 3FC
04-15-2004, 10:08 AM
So the formula of the Myoplex shakes has changed since Bill Philips left? I've been wondering why he would product products that contain unproven and useless supplements. Of course I have no idea how long the products have contained them, so I don't know whether to let him off the hook or not :lol: I didn't use the Myoplex at all the last two days and felt normal. I had one for breakfast earlier this morning, and that weird feeling is back. I may be old fashioned, because I prefer to feel normal and natural. I may be paranoid, but I have to wonder what it's doing to me, if it makes my blood rush and my body tingle, etc, what is it doing to my heart, or any other part of my body?

Amarantha, I've not tried cottage cheese in a smoothie, but that sounds good! I've got frozen strawberries, and will whip something up later :)

Ilene
04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
One of my favorites shakes is: 1/2c cottage cheese, frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein, Udo's oil, a bit of milk, ground flax.... use my hand blender and voila a shake that is delicious!...

Amarantha2
04-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Yo! Suzanne, I haven't really done any in-depth analysis of all the formulas before and after Bill (wanted to clarify). I've just observed (and been told by EAS service reps) that some have changed. I still think it's a good company but I liked it better with Bill! :)

Lanaii: I've heard about the Udo's Oil and seen it in the health food department. I'm going to get some and try it in my shakes ... do you toast your flaxseeds or anything? I know you have to grind them but wonder if they'd be toasted, too. Your shake recipe looks good!

Somebody on this thread (or maybe another one) mentioned Luna bars and that popped into my head a few days ago and I got some of the new flavors ... these really are a better choice (IMO) than the Myoplex Lites that I'm so fond of (although the flavor is not as pleasing to me, but they are good). I'm not looking at the label right now but the primary sweeting agent, if I recall correctly, is brown rice syrup. I believe (though am not an expert on the subject) that this is a complex carb and not a simple sugar (like sucrose or fructose), so I just feel happier with these bars.

I'm not eating well this week but at least I just threw away the rest of the ice cream!!!

Sugar and poor nutrition are really getting in my way and starting to irritate me and these :devil: s will not win!!!! :)

Jennifer, congrats on getting organized with the weights! Maybe you could sign up for a trial gym membership if there's one near you and get a few free sessions with a trainer to get the form down, etc. ... it really is important to lift correctly.

But likely you know that ... sorry, I'm wont to give unsolicited advice. Bad habit! :)

I absolutely LOVE what weights (and all exercise, but especially weights) have done for my body and my life. I've never been so strong before!

That said, I'm going to bed! :) Later ...

Amarantha2
04-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Ledom, I just love apples and string cheese! Makes a great traveling snack, too! I just put a few in a cooler for tomorrow as I'm working a festival all day and don't want to be tempted by any demonic foods!! Also convenience stores always have apples and string cheese, so there's never an excuse to stop and buy a candy bar (although I do)!

BfL_Cat
04-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Hello everyone! Hope your Challenges are going well! I'm still catching my breath after my trip home to Michigan for Easter - it takes so long to get everything caught back up!

Wanted to comment on the Myo Lite shake thing - I've never had any odd feelings after drinking it - are you gals still having that, or have you stopped drinking them? I'd suggest calling EAS and asking about it - they are pretty good about helping out with questions.

I'm still doing well - had a bit out-of-control Easter Sunday, but then got right back on track. My weight is actually still up a few pounds :( , but at the same time, my pants feel looser this week! Go figure! I guess that once again, I need to remind myself to keep off of that darned scale - it really doesn't mean anything!

I had a doozy of a free meal last night - Mexican, and although my meal itself was ok, I overdid it on tortilla chips and margaritas! Then topped it all off with a scoop of ice cream! Think I've had enough "freeness" for this week, so nothing more for the weekend. :(

Ledom - I think I'll try making those Greek Pinwheels - they sound yummy. I'm going to look up the nutritional value just to be sure that 1/2 the recipe will give me enough protein, as I'm trying to do 30-40 grams per meal.

Wanted to share a tip with you - one of my not-so-great standard meals, which I have once or twice a week. It's Easy Mac with a can of tuna added! Like I said, not a fabulous choice, but quick and easy, and I always have on hand, and it often keeps me out of trouble. I try to increase my water on the days I eat it, due to the high sodium, and I usually cut back one of my other meals, due to it's high calories - about 400 total.

It's beautiful here today, so I think I'll go take a walk!
Cindy

BfL_Cat
04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Me again - I just checked, and 1/2 the Greek Pinwheel recipe only has 20 grams of protein. So, I think I'll double the turkey to boost it a bit for myself!

ledom
04-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Amaranth - is this the page you were talking about?

http://skwigg.tripod.com/wow/id49.html

Anything skwig recommends I will certainly consider.

Cindy, should be no problem to add extra turkey to the pinwheels. I actually made 8 this week and have been having one most days. I like them and they are so easy to grab when I leave for work in the mornings.

This question is for my friend Alice who is considering EFL but doesn't want to do the weights, rather she walks every day. Does Bill Phillips address this anywhere, what results you can expect if you don't lift weights?

Ilene
04-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Amarantha...I don't toast my flax seed... I buy it already ground in an air tight container then put it in a jar in the freezer, I've been doing this for at least 2 year now and never once have I had it go rancid...

Here is a site that is really awesome and has great information on ground flax and its health benefits, along with many other foods. Someone posted it on the LWL forum and I really like it a lot!...
http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php?PHPSESSID=ed83711086579441e4d421b3d23 ef82e

Jennifer 3FC
04-18-2004, 01:17 AM
I think I did my lower body workout wrong today...I did hamstring lunges, but I felt them as much in my quads as I did my hamstrings. I have spaghetti legs tonight!

Opinion - What goes good with yogurt? I've been eating almonds or string cheese. I need a new flavor!

Jennifer 3FC
04-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Oh yeah - BFLCat, I'm with ya on the freeness! I overdid it on Friday. It was my first official free day. I've been on South Beach for 6 months and I had about 3 free days in that amount of time, so I was ravenous and naughty yesterday. This morning my rings were snug so I know I way overdid it on sodium. Chinese always does that to me.

BfL_Cat
04-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Ledom - I can't really point you to if/where Bill talks about doing EFL w/o the weights (of course if I'd actually read that book, I might know ;) ). Anyway, I'm thinking that the main difference would be just that she wouldn't need nearly as much protein/calories as women who lift. So, I'd suggest she still eat 6 meals/day, but make them smaller than what you or I would have, but keeping the same protein/carb balance.
Cindy

Amarantha2
04-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Lanaii, thanks for posting the flaxseed info and site ... I was looking at several different types of the oil yesterday in the health food section and ended up not buying any. When I was a vegetarian, I often took the oil in capsule form and it did wonders for, mainly, my skin. Now I'm eating a lot of salmon and am frankly confused as to whether the flaxseed oil would also be helpful ... :)

Jennifer 3FC
04-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for Skwigg's site. It's great!

ledom
04-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Jennifer - glad you liked that site. I visit it often for inspiration. If I could just get my activity level anywhere near hers I'd be happy. I am thinking of adding an evening walk around the neighborhood to my routine. We'll see.

Just finished a great leg workout. I am really trying to slow down and do a good and thorough job w/ the weights. I am using Rodney Yee's yoga for abs workout for my abs. It takes about 30 minutes and I really love it. I would like to try more of his videos. Of all the ones I have tried he seems easiest to follow. Yoga videos are a challenge because until you learn them, looking up and seeing the visual is important. I also got out another yoga video over the weekend. It is a power yoga video and I tried about the first 5 minutes of it before giving up. It is SO different than the hatha yoga I practice in my weekly class. I think it would actually work for a cardio if I can build up enough strength to do it. Something to work toward. I do love yoga and am really looking for ways to incorporate it w/in the BFL structure.

Bad Monday weigh-in, I have gotta think it is water retention. Got my attention so I'll be chugging the water and being extra careful this week. Didn't report this weeks weigh-in as I stayed the same, until this morning anyway.

Hope everyone has a good and productive week.

Jennifer 3FC
04-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I had a bad weigh in also! Well, kinda. I lost a pound last week. That IS good for me, I have the metabolism of a rock - hence the bodybuilding to save me! However, I weighed last week at the doctor and it said I was down 4 pounds, and that was with clothes and 1 meal under my belt. I weighed the next morning on my scales, nekkid and hungry, and I was still 4 pounds down. I was amazed! Then for my weekly weigh in, I found out it was all a tease!

ledom
04-20-2004, 01:07 PM
OK Jennifer - we are going to have to stay away from the scale! We KNOW we didn't gain 3 lbs. overnight!

ledom
04-22-2004, 01:02 PM
How are you all doing with EFL? And exercise? I am pleased with how things are going for me. I have been vigilent about getting my exercise in and that seems key for me to make any progress at all. I just finished my fourth week. In my first two weeks I dropped weight fast, then it started fluctuating a bit. I haven't lost any more after that initial loss, but it seems to have stopped fluctuating on the scale and I trust that it is gone now. I am at a point now where I can feel a slight difference, but my clothes aren't falling off me (they are looser though). I am at a weight now that I have had the hardest time getting past, the weight where I generally just get so frustrated I give up. The lowest weight I have been at in recent years, though I have been here several times in recent years. I am pretty determined to push through this time. I am working to have faith that if I just stay the course I'll eventually get past it. In the past, it has been the point where I thought that if I dropped calories more, exercised more, changed things up, etc. that would do the trick only to have that strategy blow up in my face. By that I mean I get too hungry or tired and sabotage my efforts in that I take a huge fall off the wagon. Now I am reminding myself of all that and it didn't work then so why would it work now. Right now I am thinking of Cindy's success w/ BFL and using her experience as a guiding light - it works if you do the work and don't give up. Consistency - I am going to make that my motto.

Jennifer 3FC
04-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Great going, Ledom! I bet you WILL push through this time, because you have so much confidence. I am in the same boat as you. Lowest weight in years, but can't quite break through.

I am doing well on the plan. I have lost 3 pounds since I started almost 3 weeks ago, and that is a great move for me because I've been on a plateau for over 3 months. However, these are the last 3 pounds that I kept batting around right before I went on a full scale plateau, so I'm waiting skeptically to see if I push through as well!

I wonder - do the size of my hands grow when I put food on my plate?

ledom
04-27-2004, 08:06 AM
LOL - I think we have all had that thought before.

Well, Jennifer - we are just going to do it! I am hanging in. I am really telling a difference in clothes and the odd compliment, or question about "are you still losing weight?" I was down another 1/4 lb. last week. It seems so little, on the other hand it is so nice to see the scale going down. I can be patient.

I am so glad this WOE jogged you out of your plateau. I am really enjoying this go around and it is nice to have buddies that are doing the same thing. We will break through and we will be so happy when we do.

Jennifer 3FC
04-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Revelation!! Myoplex Lite no longer has that extra supplement in it (garcinia cambogia). I went to GNC (the only place in my town that carries it) to look for a substitute and it wasn't on the ingredient list. The guy that worked there was a bodybuilder and he was very helpful. He did say that all of the B vitamins can give a rush to some people, and also people with iodine allergies could have problems since there is 50% daily iodine intake in the packages. I don't have any iodine allergies, and I would be surprised if I had such a reaction to B vitamins, so it was probably the supplement.

Oh I'm getting off track. Anyway, the packages that Suzanne and I have are white, and he opened up the box at GNC and they are dark blue. Suzanne looked on the EAS website and the supplement wasn't there, so she called them and they said they had changed the formula and it was no longer used. Good! However, now I don't want to order online and get somebody's old stock, and have the supplement in it. GNC is about double the price of what we can buy for online. :( How good are the GNC Gold cards?

This morning my husband said he could notice a considerable difference in the tone in my legs. :hyper: Now if he can see a considerable difference in my butt! Speaking of butts - there aren't any butt or inner thigh exercises in BFL. Are they covered by other exercises? I never feel muscles working in my butt. Sometimes in my inner thighs, but usually not.

ledom
04-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Jennifer, I don't know about inner thighs, but on the butt and the back of the leg. I really feel it in these areas when I do leg curls, this is the one where you lay on a bench on your stomach, and curl the weights on the end of the bench by bending your knees up. If you aren't used a bench w/ those weights on the end then this is another exercise that would help. Lay on your back w/ knees bent at a right angle and you heels resting on a stool or chair. Lift your butt off the floor by pressing down on your heels. The thing that has really been getting me sore and the attention of my glutes is putting the incline on my treadmill to 6 or 7. As a matter of fact I work more on improving the steepness of my incline than increasing the speed. I am remembering one inner thigh exercise I used to do when doing the Firm tapes. Lay on your side, lower leg out straight and the other knee bent w/ foot on the floor in front of the straight leg. Raise the straight leg, you can add leg weights. One thing I have read is that if you create a lot of muscle on your inner thigh it will only make your leg look bigger. I don't know about that as I have never experienced it myself.

Cool info about Myoplex Lite, at least you tracked down the problem. I don't know about GNC Gold cards.

BfL_Cat
04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Jennifer - I can tell you that when I order the variety pack from vitaglo.com, I get the new packaging. Only my Capuccino Ice is still in the old white box. Guess I'm lucky that that supplement doesn't affect me. Vitaglo's prices are much, much better than GNC with a gold card - I think the 20 serving box is regularly $44 there, and then about $35 with a gold card. Vitaglo sells the same for $22!
I think you can confidently order the van/straw/choc variety pack from vitaglo and would get new stock, as I have.
Cindy

Jennifer 3FC
04-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Ledom, thanks for the butt exercises...Friday is lower workout day!

Cindy - Suzanne got her order today from Vitaglo and I forgot to ask which packaging. Hopefully she got the new stuff too!

Jennifer 3FC
05-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Did anybody eat anything tasty today? I need some ideas!

ledom
05-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Jennifer, this meatloaf is a standard for me. I don't make it every week, but almost every week. It is really easy to put together. Add a small carb, I like a boiled new potato or brown rice, and a vegetable. It is yummy. Not too different from the EFL version, I just started making it before I got EFL so I am sticking with it.

I have made a second EFL strawberrby cheesecake and I really like it. A new find for me are edamame, they are in the frozen food of the healthfood section in my store. The are almost equal carb/protein.

What kind of food are you in the mood for.

Keith Klein's Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients

1 lb ground turkey breast
1 c chopped onions
4 egg whites
1 c chunky salsa (I like the Rotel Spicy Italian tomatoes)
1/2 c uncooked oatmeal
1 package knorr's Vegetable Soup mix
1/4 tsp.pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 c. ketchup

Procedure

Mix all ingredients except ketchup until well blended. Place in a meatloaf pan. Cover with ketchup. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 5, 4 oz servings

Serving Information

* Serves: 5
* Fat: 1.0 g
* Calories: 122

Ilene
05-02-2004, 02:51 PM
ledom -- Your meatloaf looks delish!! I'm for sure going to try that this week... You mention the calorie and fat grams but not protein or carbs. Do you know what the counts are? Thanks in advance...

Suzanne 3FC
05-03-2004, 06:27 PM
The meatloaf does sound good, and I don't even like meat :)

My vitaglo order contained a mixture of new and old packaging. The chocolate lovers box is new, though I don't plan to order it again. I don't care for the flavors. They sound a lot better than they taste, lol. The chocolate mint was like mint water. The dark chocolate wasn't very good, either. I just tried the chocolate peanut butter and it has an artificial peanut taste. I must be very picky :p I guess in the end, I prefer real food, made from fresh ingredients. The recipes in the book are all very good.

ledom
05-03-2004, 06:44 PM
These are the fitday calculations for a 4 oz. serving of the Turkey Meatloaf.

Total Calories: * 131* *
Fat: 4* 32* 22%
**Sat: 0* 0* 0%
**Poly: 0* 0* 0%
**Mono: 0* 0* 0%
Carbs: 11* 42* 29%
**Fiber: 0* 0* 0%
Protein: 18* 72* 49%
Alcohol: 0* 0* 0%

Ilene
05-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks Miss Ledom for calculating all that for me... After I had thought about it a bit I was going to do the same on Fitday a little later, thanks for all your trouble...

Jennifer 3FC
05-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Bummer about the chocolate lovers pack! I had high hopes for it. I wish they'd make a decaf cappucino. I can always add nescafe to the chocolate, I guess.

Ilene
05-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Ledom the turkey meatloaf was delicious! Thank you!

ledom
05-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Illene, I am glad you enjoyed the meatloaf. It is tasty and even better, it's easy to make.

How is everyone doing this week? I am finishing up my job (teaching) for the year and will be calling the semester over after graduation on Sat. I am so excited to have some time off. This week has been tough, down with a cold and haven't exercised since Sat., but I think I'll be back to it in the morning. I took my first full fledged free day in 5 weeks on Sunday and lived to regret it.

Sorry you didn't like your shakes Suzanne - you gave it your best effort so now you can move on to your own homemade ones. Anyone try any new EFL recipes this week?

I am still pumped about this challenge and will now be turning my attention to keeping up the program with more time on my hands and more time to think about food. I will have some planning to do to make the best of the summer in terms of diet and exercise. I have a feeling it is going to be all good.

Jennifer 3FC
05-04-2004, 11:25 PM
This week is going well on food, but for the first time since starting 3 weeks ago, I missed exercise 2 days in a row. I am having ovary pain (due for surgery on June 2nd) and a few VERY stressful events. I had to be at work at 7am yesterday and decided I would exercise after work. Well, I won't make that mistake again. As the day went on, I got sicker and by last night I was cold and weak and blucky. This morning I slept all I could because I was so dang sick when I went to bed last night, the last thing on my mind was getting up an hour early to lift. Tonight didn't work, either. Finally have the time and the health to exercise - at 10pm. I'm just starting back in the morning, and I will exercise on my free day this week.

Food has been clean, though! I weigh and check body fat in the morning. I'm not sure what kind of result I will get. I've been bloated for several days, and I assume it is the whole ovarian cyst thing. I seem pretty decent tonight, so I'm hoping for an accurate result in the morning.

I haven't tried an EFL recipe lately. I DO need to do it in the next couple of days, though!

ledom
05-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Hey Jennifer, OK, today is our day to get our exercise back in gear! I think my cold is improved enough that I can do shoulders and chest today. A little break makes it so much easier to get out of the routine - but not us. We're going to push through. I do hope you are feeling better today.

DD will be coming home for 3 weeks between now and summer session at school. Unfortunately her sophomore year is when she put on her freshman 20. I just hate it for her. I am planning to scour EFL for "kid" friendly (she still has kid taste in food) to cook for us while she is home. I'd really like to help get her turned around. She'll also be out of the dorm and into an apartment w/ a kitchen so we'll try to get her set up to cook for herself. Anyway, I am thinking the Chicken Enchiladas look promising. I'll let you know.

ledom
05-05-2004, 09:53 AM
OK, chest and shoulders done. I am back on track.

BfL_Cat
05-05-2004, 05:49 PM
One food ideal I'll share is one of my favorites for summer. I don't have it often, as I'm trying to avoid processed carbs, but it's quick and easy.

Just take 1 cup cottage cheese, add 1/4c. or more salsa, mix and eat with the appropriate number of Baked Tostitos (the small ones) - something like 28 of them is the equivalent in carbs, I think. Yum!
Cindy

Jennifer 3FC
05-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Cindy, that sounds good! I've had salsa and sour cream together, but never cottage cheese. I bet it is similar, and not as rich. Thanks for the idea!

Ledom, I didn't exercise again today. I'm extremely disappointed with myself, yet I'm not, because it was a good reason. I had to fast for bloodwork this morning and I didn't think I could work out this morning with no water before or after - then I didn't get home until 12 hours later and I was exhausted. I feel so weak the last few days. I'm getting a good night's sleep and tomorrow will do a cardio and weight session, and then repeat them both on Friday. I'll be caught up then! I'll post back here as soon as I am done each time. Maybe I should pass up free day food this week? OK, that might be too extreme! :lol:

Now I am getting ready for bed, as much as I hate to leave the computer - but I have to get up bright and early to do this. :hyper:

ledom
05-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Jennifer, hope you get your health problems resolved soon. It is no fun to be side- lined by Drs., feeling bad, etc.

Jennifer 3FC
05-07-2004, 01:30 AM
Thanks, Ledom. I made up my time today. I did cardio and upper body weights this morning. Tomorrow, lower body and cardio! Saturday is free day, but I will exercise anyway, probably just cardio, and then I'll be all caught up.

ledom
05-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Good for you Jennifer! I know you feel good to be back with it.

I have good news. I completed week 6 on Wednesday and I am down 8.75 lbs. for that time. Last week didn't show a loss but I am down a lb. this week. The really exciting news is that I am about 3 lbs. below my lowest weight in years. I am very excited about it!

BabySteps
05-07-2004, 10:49 AM
So, are you all losing weight on the plan?

BabySteps

Jennifer 3FC
05-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Congratulations, Ledom! I'm happy for you!

Baby Steps - I am losing. I'm losing slow, but it is still a loss. I was on a 3 month plateau before this, so any loss is nothing short of a miracle.

Bad news - the surgery will now be open lap instead of regular laproscopy. From what I understand, they will make one incision, put in the camera and then look around while they do the scopes, clamps, etc. This is due to a tummy tuck in the past and not being totally sure if my stomach is in the same place it started at. They don't want to punch through anything. I don't know what this does to my recovery time. I was supposed to be off a week from work and weights. Now I am off two weeks from work, but I don't know about the weights. I am guessing 2-4 weeks. We'll find out in a couple of weeks!

ledom
05-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey everyone. Jennifer, I am sorry to hear about your surgery and the "extra" it is going to take. I guess the thing to do is to just "get your head around it" and plan ahead how you will cope with the time off of exercise. I think the eating plan will keep you on an even keel until you can get back to your exercise.

BabySteps, it is good to see you. How are you doing? I thought I'd take a stab at your question about really losing on BFL. I did my first challenge about a year and a half ago. I did very well on it. It took until about the 10th week before I could see substantial loss and from reading on other boards I think that might be fairly typical. The other thing to keep in mind is that I had been dieting previously so I didn't get that initial water weight loss that some people do. I lost my way on the second challenge, just doing it half heartedly. I maintained but lost nothing to speak of. Then I lost faith and focus completely and tried a different diet - BodyRX - which actually caused me to gain weight albeit a lot of it was muscle. I'd say I just fooled around another 6 months before finding my way back to BFL. The thing is, I feel like if I had just worked the diet and been patient with myself I would be way ahead of where I am now. There are a couple of women who post around on 3fc that did just that, and while they don't lose really fast, they have had slow and steady weight losses and from the pictures they have posted they look fabulous. I have to say that the main appeal for this WOE is the fact that it isn't radical in terms of food amounts. You can do this diet w/out being hungry. You feed your body good food and you feed it often. The workouts are hard, but I think essential to success. The hardest part for me being just scheduling them in and disciplining myself to do them. They do make me feel amazing and I can't say that I don't enjoy them.

Well, my challenge for the next few weeks, through the 14th of June, is travel. I'll be going 3 different places with stops at home for a few days between each trip. That is what I am "getting around my head" right now, how to enjoy myself and not make myself crazy w/ food choices.

BfL_Cat
05-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Babysteps - I lost 26# last year during my first challenge, and that was after losing a bit doing the Zone for the month prior to that. My subsequent challenges have not yielded as much loss, but I have definitely continued to "shrink" in size, despite my weight not changing much. I've since lost another 20# (in 3 more challenges), and am down several more sizes.

When I started this journey, I was wearing 20W pants and 2X tops. I am now in Misses 12 and 14 pants and large or medium tops, depending on the maker, despite still weighing 185# at 5'4". BFL is all about building muscle to replace that fat and thus becoming smaller in size each week. The scale is not how I measure my progress - I do it via photos of myself taken every four weeks and how clothing fit.
Cindy

Jennifer 3FC
05-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, Ledom. I will probably do the food plan all the way, but maybe not as much focus on protein as normal since I won't be lifting weights.
Hopefully this won't set me back too much. I'll be thrilled to maintain during this! Good luck while you travel. I can imagine that it must be difficult to do. Will you be working out in hotel gyms?

ledom
05-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Jennifer, For the most part there won't by a gym, though there will be one for a couple of days. I'll be staying in a rustic cabin for most of the trip. BUT, I am taking my mini TV/VCR and my yoga tapes. I will also be hiking. I know it's not BFL, but I feel pretty good about the activities I have planned. The last trip, in early June is paddling down a river for 80 miles in 4 days, so I will really be winging it. I will hit the weights when I am home and stay active when I'm not. I am leaving today for a short trip and will probably get a chance to check in Sunday.

pbaus
05-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Hi all! I have been doing SB since September and stalled for the last 3 months. Out of desperation, I have been searching the Internet for the last few hours trying to find a lifestyle fit and I think I may have found it here. I'm going to splurge on the books tomorrow as well as the drink powder and bars to help me get started.

Is this the right spot for daily support? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ledom
05-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi pb - you won't be sorry that you found this way of life. You are right, it is a healthy approach to diet and exercise. As far as daily support, this is a new thread that we are trying to build. I check in daily, though I'll be on vacation until the end of May, I really hope that this thread will become a place that people check in daily.

I believe Jennifer is in the same situation as you, stalled on SB and she has been doing BFL for about a month. I will let her tell you of her success.

Glad to meet you and hope to see your posts here. If you have questions I'll be glad to help as much as possible.

Jennifer 3FC
05-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi pbaus! Were you on Sugar Busters or South Beach? I stalled on South Beach. It was a really good program, but it didn't work for my metabolism, which is slowwwww.
I'm still slow on this program, but it isn't STOPPED so I am happy. I came here from a 3 month plateau.

My advice to you is to read the books all the way. Little things here and there not understood can make or break any diet. The book doesn't take that long to read. The last half of the BFL book is pictures of exercises and charts, so most of the reading is up front, and it is interesting. The EFL book is the same way. Most of it is recipes.

The 2 books set me back $70ish at Books A Million, so shop around! Also, you can get the bars and powder locally at a GNC but it is really expensive there. You can buy it much cheaper on the internet.

Dig in and feel free to ask any questions!

Ledom!! I just thought of something. I had gotten behind on exercise a week or so ago and I told you that I would catch up and report back. I did catch up, but I don't think I reported back! I've also increased cardio so I am doing it every day now. I still need to boost my metabolism a bit.

pbaus
05-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback Ledom and Jennifer!

Jennifer, I have been on South Beach since September with only about a 20# loss of which I am grateful for. I had been totally dedicated until the last couple of weeks and seem to be wavering more and more and falling into old habits. I must get this back under control sooner rather than later.

A little bit about me . . . I’m not a spring chicken any more. I turned 50 this year and lead (always have) a very sedentary lifestyle. I HATE exercise and this concerns me with this plan. I definitely qualify as a yo-yo dieter. At some point in my adult life I have partaken in every weight loss plan and pill ever invented. As a result, I am a VERY SLOW looser. My body never knows if I’m binging or starvation mode. I have about 60 pounds to lose but will welcome any loss at all.

I’m a little nervous about another “investment” in more weight loss books. Based on the above personal info do you still think this might be a good plan for me? I’m going to do my homework and read up on this later today before investing yet more dollars. Thanks Ledom for the additional links.

Paula

P.S. I would appreciate information on how this eating plan differs from South Beach. Thanks in advance!

ledom
05-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey Paula, I am 50 too. I have a lot of weight to lose too. Over the last 10 years I have lost about 60 lbs. but it has been very slow and there has been a lot of yo-yoing.

I do like to exercise, not to say I always want to do my workouts, but it has been a way of life for me even when i was much heavier. Exercise is a very vital part of this plan, but you know I think that is true with any diet. If you exercise your success will be greater and it does have great benefits.

If you only want to buy one of the books, I'd start off with Body for Life. I think it has the most information. You might try amazon.com for used books or overstock.com. Shop around on the net, you'll find something cheaper than the store prices.

The thing that I think is best about the diet is the recommendation to eat 6 small meals a day. I find that I am able to stick with a diet when I am not always hungry, and I am not on this plan.

You will have to think through the exercising though. Will you join a gym, or work out at home are important things to figure out before you start.

Good luck.

Jennifer 3FC
05-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Pbaus - if you can stick with SBD, you can stick with this. In my opinion, it is easier, but it does take some investment with protein shakes. He recommends one kind specifically, but you can do others if you can balance out the carbs and proteins. I haven't found one yet that fits the bill quite right.

I enjoy this plan more because I have more freedom over certain things, like types of carbs. I can eat a potato. And I can have a couple of 'free meals' each week instead of once every couple of months. That was very tough to stick to the plan day after day for so little results. I'm not knocking SBD. It is a really good plan, but it wasn't for my metabolism. I'm just SLOW and this seems to be kicking some results out for me, finally.

It does take some effort, but there is no other way to get the weight off. If I want to lose, I have to make it happen!

pbaus
05-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks ledom and Jennifer for your words of encouragement. I love reading about your personal journeys. I will be purchasing the Body for Life book tomorrow.

I am having a very good week with monitoring my food intake and seeing some results on the scales. FINALLY moving downward again after a LONG stall. Granted it is probably water weight but I will take whatever I can get. I never thought I would journal again but I have spent the week tracking calories, carbs, fiber, sugar, and protein. It’s been a real wake up call!

Paula

BfL_Cat
05-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey there everyone - we've been pretty quiet on this thread without Ledom to keep us chatting...

So, how's everyone doing with BFL? pbaus, did you get the book? Any questions? Bill keeps the book pretty general about a lot of things, so we can definitely help with specifics.
Cindy

ledom
05-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Hey all, Cindy how you doing? I am back. I had a wonderful trip and now am ready to get back to work. I am going to the store this morning to get clean food in the house. I guess today better be a cooking day. I'll check in later with a longer post.

Jennifer 3FC
05-27-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm officially 'back' today also. My MIL/FIL were here to visit from Holland and I've had next to zero computer time. I did really well with exercise the whole time they were here, but food wasn't so good. I did 90 percent well with types of foods, but I only was able to stick to the 6 meals about half the time. Hopefully that won't cause a setback. I doubled my exercise, so I'm planning for a maintenance this week!

I'm having surgery next week. I won't be exercising for a couple of weeks, so I'll be focusing on eating the right stuff. I need to make a big grocery list from the EFL book and make one of everything while I'm home!

ledom
05-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Good morning ladies. How are you doing Jennifer? I know you have your surgery coming up - here are best wishes for a successful procedure and a speedy recovering.

I am hopping on this morning for some accountability and recommitment. I have been slow getting my groove back since returning from vacation. I finally got some cooking done and will hit the weights here in a minute. I did good on vacation though not BFL. It was weird eating 3 meals a day instead of 6 but it was probably what saved me. Yesterday was just an all out free day. Kind of a last hurrah before getting serious again. I planned to be back on program Friday, but here it is Sunday and I am just now back to being serious. I caught the last of Dr. Phil's interview on Larry King last night and his comment on how time gets away from us and we are still "thinking about" dieting 6 months later hit a chord for what I have been doing the last couple of days.

I tried on clothes yesterday. I am a firm size 18 now. Great to be down from 24 and though I am still shopping in the Women's section, I can see 16's in my near future. That is thrilling to me, I guess it is all relative. I love clothes and they are a big motivation. I bought 2 swimsuits, I couldn't decide between the 2. I am planning a week of paddling w/ a huge group and I spend a lot of time on the water the rest of the summer so I guess they are my summer wardrobe. One came w/ shorts and the other one is a tank suit, I bought beach shorts to wear w/ it. While I don't feel gorgeous in them I feel as comfortable as possible in a swimsuit.

How is everyone else doing? Suzanne - we haven't heard from you in a while. How are things going?

Will be back to report a perfect day tomorrow a.m.

ledom
05-31-2004, 09:07 AM
Well, I wanted to keep my word about reporting back. Yesterday was right on. I have to admit that by the end of the day I was a little hungry - I attribute it to being out of practice, but I made it. Which gave me the courage to weigh this morning and I am exactly where I was when I left for vacation. I think I might even be up a lb or two since I got back so I am very pleased and ready to hit it hard again. I did chest and a session of yoga yesterday. I have decided to take one swimsuit back. D is home for the holiday and is my best critic - she helped me decide the best out of the two.

Jennifer 3FC
05-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Good for you! I'm glad you are getting back on track so easily. I did weigh, and I weighed exactly what I did before the inlaws came to visit, so I'm happy! I was just worried about gaining. That's nice that you found 2 suits that you liked. I couldn't find ANY last year. I must have tried on 50. Finally I got a tankini-ish thing from LL Bean and I liked it.

Now to get through the next two weeks. I'll be having surgery on Wednesday, so there won't be any exercise for me for at least a week, maybe two. I bought a ton of food yesterday. I think our biggest grocery shopping trip so far so there shouldn't be anything to get in my way while I am home. I've got all the right foods and hopefully I can do little walks each day to at least get me prepped for when I get started back.

White_Merlot
05-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi - I am new to this thread. I just bought the book today - it was actually in the bookstore!! I was wondering about the 6 meals. 6 small meals balanced carb/protine ratio.... what time of day do you start eating? when do you stop? what if you stop to early?
I am nervous. Help.
kjo

ledom
05-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi kjo.

On meal timing - I have my first meal when I first get up which is for me around 6 a.m. Then I eat every 2 to 3 hrs. for the rest of the day. I am a free form kind of gal so I don't pay a lot of attention to exact times each day though I know some people do. My last meal may be 8:30 or 9 p.m. Don't pay attention to all the things you have heard about not eating after 6 or 7 at night. It doesn't matter.

Don't be scared. You'll love this way of eating. Any more questions?

White_Merlot
06-03-2004, 06:39 AM
hi all -
well, i have been following the wating plan for 2 days now and here is the thing - i am never hungry and it feels really really strange!!!! i am worried that i won't loose any weight with all of this eating. how much weight have you all lost? how long have you been folloeing this eating program? are you doing "the body for life" too?
lemme know - thanks!!!
kjo

ledom
06-03-2004, 10:48 AM
kjo - are you exercising as well? That is an important part of BFL. If you go by the book you will loose weight but it will be slow and steady. Cindy (bflcat) is the best success story here as she has been at a year and has lost 60 lbs. I am not as focused as she is - I keep taking time outs - but over the last year or so I have lost 30 lbs. As you build muscle (from doing the weights), you may actually gain muscle and lose fat which doesn't show up on the scale as muscle is smaller but weighs more. BFL advocates often go by the pants-o-meter rather than the scale. Not beiing hungry is exactly what I love about BFL.

Ilene
06-03-2004, 07:00 PM
KJO -- Welcome to the best way of eating IMHO!! I don't go through Challenges per se anymore, but eating 5-6 meals/day with a portion of protein and carb/meal,has become just a lifestyle for the past 2 years... The great thing about eating so often is that your insuline level is always even and you don't get cravings or are ravenous at the next meal...Yes, you will lose weight !! :D ....

White_Merlot
06-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the advice ladies!
I had my first free day yesterday - I had such a tummy ache!!! I had Fett. Alfredo and was only able to eay half the plate - I was so full.Later we went to the movie and I got some popcorn and M&Ms. I has afew handfulls of the popcorn and 1/4 of the bag of M&Ms and I could't take anymore. Luckily I had water to drink. Anyway - I am just amazed at how well the diet works! I even lost a 1.5 lbs.
As far as the pants-o-meter - I use that, too, but I am a TOTAL scale addict.
I just can't help it.
So - I am happy. I will check out that web site, too.
Thanks Ladies!!!!!!!!!
KJO

ledom
06-06-2004, 11:05 AM
KJO - that is wonderful news. Your free day sounds so typical to ones I have experience ad heard reported. It is amazing what getting good clean food in your system does to your tolerance for fat and sugar.

ledom
06-06-2004, 12:32 PM
...and Jennifer, how are you doing? I look forward to hearing back from you.

Just an update too on my progress. I have been trying on a lot of clothes this week. I just couldn't resist stepping into a couple of size 16's, I just got into an 18 really. It seems the next size down the clothes are so much cuter. I was amazed to actually be able to zip myself into a 16. I resisted buying the cutest white linen dress because it really didn't fit but I want it so much. I may go back tomorrow and buy it anyway as a goal outfit, not that I don't already have a couple of those....Anyway, I have been surprised to see that I am losing inches from my hips and legs. I don't remember losing in this pattern in the past. I wonder if the difference is because of the weight training? Anyway, I'll take it. I am pretty psyched about the possibility of the clothes that are just out of my reach. For the moment they are my main motivation!

Jennifer 3FC
06-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Ledom, I'm back online. Surgery was more than expected. They went in for lap to remove the cysts, but I had a lot of adhesions and they had to have a general surgeon remove them before the lap could be completed, so I got a 6 inch incision and they took my ovaries out because they were also bound in adhesions. So, there won't be any exercise for me for a while. :( At least a month. I am still trying to stick to the eating plan as much as possible right now. Sometimes my appetite is in the can, though. I did weigh and found that I maintained since last week.

Now at least this gives me a month off to just focus on organization and getting ready for the coming months. And plenty of time to try EFL recipes!

Jennifer 3FC
06-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Ledom, do you want to make this a monthly thread?

ledom
06-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Oh Jennifer, I am sorry your surgery ended up more complicated than you anticipated. I do hope that it will solve your health problems though. Sounds as if you have a great attitude about it.

Sure, making this a monthly thread sounds fine to me. My only suggestion for change would be to include Body for Life in the title of the thread as well. Something like Eating for Life/Body for Life (Bill Phillips), or any variation you think appropriate.

I am going to be out of town until Sunday so I won't be posting after today until I return. I will be in a situation (float trip) which will leave me unable to follow BFL diet and exercise routine, but I will be watching myself. When I get back I am ready for a buckled down approach to the rest of my challenge.

Take care of yourself sweetie. You'll be back up and around quicker than you think.

pugmom
06-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi, all! I just joined the group and have been doing EFL for one week. Weight last Monday: 250.5; weight this morning 244.5. I'm very happy and can also report that I'm not hungry too often. I was away this weekend with my daughters and grandchildren and went off the program somewhat (popcorn while we watched Harry Potter!) but my failures were minor compared to my fast food pigouts of the past few years.

Thanks for being there for us newbies!

Jennifer 3FC
06-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Hi Pugmom, welcome to 3FC! Congratulations on a good start.
I'm going to close this thread and start a new June thread in this same forum. Please come back and post!