South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:06 PM   #1  

Smile new to diet

I started the south beach diet today and was wondering if you guys have any tips and experience that you can share with me. I would also like ot know how you were able to get through phase one because its been a little difficult for me so far.

I also have a specific question pertainng to the food. I would like ot know that since you are allowed to eat nuts and seeds in phase one do any of you know if you're allowed to eat sunflower seeds? I have a book and sunflower seeds isn't listed in there. I'm more so trying to find out how much of it I can eat.

Thank you
Old 03-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #2  
RNMOM

Default Good luck

I'm not sure any phase is easy. For me the hardest part was getting over the yucky coming off of sweets phase. It's been great once the first week or so was over.

I don't know about sunflower seeds. They are too much work for too little reward for me. I keep almonds, cashews and macadmias to throw into my salad.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:26 PM   #3  

Hi Pisceschica.

I felt kind of draggy and lightheaded for days. I had times of euphoria and great energy in that first week, but there really were times I just had to lie down on the couch. I didn't get a whole lot done that week except stay on the diet. Stick with it, and you'll reap the rewards of getting off all that junk by the end of the week. Not only will you lose a ton of water bloat, but pounds too, and you'll feel lighter than air.

I say eat your nuts and seeds. Don't go overboard, but they're healthy fats. Give yourself a tablespoon or so of shelled sunflower seeds, but I wouldn't have more than two tablespoons or so in a day (total nuts and seeds). Right at first, you kind of want your system to "clear out," so watch your portions. I drank lots of tea and mineral water to get through it.

You'll make it!!! MM
Old 03-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #4  
Goddess In Her Mind

S/C/G: 215/215/150

Welcome Pisceschica and congratulations!

I am also starting the SBD today and I have found checking in with this forum throughout the day has helped me re-focus on my goals when I'm feeling hungry. See - I'm hungry right now so I'm checking all the other chicks out. Shhhh! Don't tell my boss.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #5  

This is the allowed types and portions of nuts and seeds.

NUTS (Limit to one serving per day as specified)
Almonds - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Brazil Nuts - 4
Cashews - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Pecans - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Macadamia - 8 (Dry roasted recommended)
Peanut Butter, Natural = 2 TBS
Peanuts, 20 small (May use dry roasted or boiled)
Pine Nuts (Pignolia) - 1 ounce
Pistachios - 30 (Dry roasted recommended)
Walnuts - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)

In place of nuts, may use:
Flax Seed - 3 TBS

I tend to exceed these amounts and still lose weight. Most of the snacks in the book are cheese-based and I worry about colesterol especially when I am eating quite a lot of meat, poultry and eggs already.

You are likely to feel run down the first few days but this will pass. The key is to eat lots of vegies, drink plenty of water and get some exercise. You will see big results in the first two weeks and by then you won't be interested in starchy foods, baked goods, and sweet stuff. This is a pretty good motivator and the eating guidelines on the SB diet will (hopefully) set you up for good eating patterns for life.

Good luck with the plan.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:59 PM   #6  

Thanks you guys
Old 03-29-2004, 05:26 PM   #7  

mmmmm....macadamia nuts. Good idea RNMOM. I'm pretty sure I need some macadamia nuts. Could it be possible to stop eating those? I'm not sure. I have a hard enough time stopping the hand to mouth thing with nuts.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #8  

Sunflower seeds are listed in the Good Fats, Good Carbs book as a Good choice. Serving size is 1 T. I would treat them like the othernuts/seeds and stick to 1 svg a day, though.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #9  

Hi pisces

I say, eat the seeds. Limit as people say, but eat the seeds if you want them. They are incredibly healthy, and that is the main thing. Pumpkin seeds are also healthy.

Best to try to avoid the saltier ones (I love the saltier ones so that is tricky for me!).

good luck
Closed Thread