100 lb. Club - What's helping you loose weight...Whats your FAVORITE recipe?

tolose85
03-29-2004, 02:46 PM
What's helping you loose your weight?? I am looking for some other dinner ideas... I have circulated twice through what I already have so I thought a cool way to get a mini-cookbook together(specifically from our group since we all have about the same weight loss goals) is to have everyone submit one FAVORITE recipe with nutritional info.. Then, we can all use them!!

Here's mine:

Low Fat Low Cal Meatloaf (It is EXCELLENT)

1lb 99% fat free fresh ground turkey breast
1/2 cup eggbeaters
2 pieces low carb whole wheat bread (cubed)
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp beef bullion powder
1 meduim sized onion (chopped)
4 pieces fat free cheese
1 dash of garlic powder
1 dash of your favorite seasoned salt ( I use All Mixed Up Crazy Salt)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Combine all of the above except for cheese-- this will be used later.

After all ingredients are combined, spread half of the mixture in a glass bread pan. Place 2 slices of cheese then layer with the rest of the mixture placing the last 2 slices of cheese on the top. Cover with foil, cook for 35 minutes, remove foil and cook for 10 additional minutes.

This is excellent and the beef bullion really hides the turkey taste. It tastes just like the "fattening" meatlof but much much better for you.

Nutritional Info:

4 servings:

211 calories/ 2 grams of fat per serving

I can't wait to get your FAVORITE recipe!

Sheila53
03-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Laughing Cow Chicken

Pound a chicken breast. Spread a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese on it, put a slice of ham on it, then roll it up and dredge in some Shake 'n Bake. Bake until done. Since I'm on Weight Watchers, it's 5 WW points, I believe. Easy, fast, and good!

Parmesan Fish--even my fish-hating DH likes this

Sprinkle some mild-flavored fish (sole, for example) with lemon and broil. Mix non-fat or low-fat may with grated Parmesan, some hot sauce, green onions and light butter. Put on the fish and broil until lightly brown. It's 4 or 5 pts. depending on the size of the fish.

SuchAPrettyFace
03-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Chili Chicken & Rice

(How much to make is up to you, ie how many ppl you need to feed, etc.)

Cook brown rice as per pkg directions. Mix in chili powder, and about a tablespoon of butter/trans-fat free margarine.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh have less salt--the ones frozen that come in a big bag are soaked in brine before freezing), you can cook these any way you like, George Foreman grill, microwave, baked, etc. BUT before cooking them, sprinkle a healthy amount of chili powder on each side.

Serve w/the rice & a side of green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc, whatever veggie you like. I eat this about twice a week for dinner. You can substitute the chicken for lean beef, pork, turkey, shrimps, whatever.

What has helped me the most recently is eating breakfast:

1 bowl/plate (a plate that can hold a little bit of water)
2 eggs

Put small amount of water in microwave-safe plate. Crack eggs into plate. Poke the yolks w/a fork. Sprinkle w/seasoning (I like McCormick's Salt-Free Garlic Herb seasoning), and put in the microwave for about 3 minutes if you like the yolks done, less time if you like them runny. Sometimes I sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese over them before cooking, too.

Br00klyn
03-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Low Fat Chicken Caccitore ( I created this one) :)

2 or 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1 Green Pepper
1 Cup of Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
1 diced small Onion
Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1 Capful of White Vinegar
1 Jar of Healthy Tomatoe Sauce (whatever flavor you like best)
Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta

Slice chicken and cook in large skillet with PAM Cooking Spray. Once chicken is cooked, add sliced peppers, onions & mushrooms. Let cook. Add tomatoe sauce, vinegar, sugar, and spices/herbs to taste (I use garlic, basil, pepper). Let simmer for 20-30 mins, stirring occasionally. Serve on bed of Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta with some low-fat parmesan or mozzarella on top.

This freezes great too.. I always make enough for leftovers and freeze individually for a quick meal or lunch.

Cheers,
Celina

jiffypop
03-29-2004, 11:41 PM
here's my favorite: you take a bag of hershey's dark chocolate nuggets with almonds, and hide them in your bedroom..

ooopssss.. not that recipe..

how about my favorite stuffed chicken breasts??? ok... here goes. and apologies, i have no idea what the calories are, but since it's lean chicken, veggies, and very little fat, it shouldn't be too bad.

pound 6-8 half chicken cutlets until they're less than 1/4 inch thick.

defrost a package of chopped spinach, and squeeze all the water out of it.

saute about 1/4 c finely chopped onion and a little garlic in the tiniest little bit of olive oil. do it slowly so that everything softens.

add about 1/2 c finely chopped mushrooms, turn up the heat, and saute quickly, making sure all the water from the mushrooms evaporates.

mix in the spinach, and add a couple of gratings [or shakes] of nutmeg, and a little salt/pepper to taste.

at this point, you can use it as is. OR you can let it cool and then beat in an egg [helps the mixture hold together, but it's not essential] or some crumbled feta cheese. or ricotta salata. or a couple of tablespoons of ricotta and romano... or not.

whatever you decide.. divide the mixture evenly among the chicken breasts, and then roll them up tightly. fasten with toothpicks.

arrange them seam side down in a baking dish. pour some white wine [or chicken broth or water] into the pan, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of liquid]. and then top with salt/pepper and some sliced tomatoes.

bake at 350 for about 1/2 hour, or until the chicken is done.

it's REALLY REALLY GOOD, even if you don't use anythning other than the spinach, onions, and mushrooms...

Goddess Jessica
03-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Okay, so I love barley! It's an awesome whole grain that is not just for soups!

Here's the basic recipe:

2 cups pearl barley
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
81/2 cups (about) canned vegetable broth

Stir barley in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer barley to bowl. Add onion and garlic with a splash of broth; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add barley and stir to coat. Add 2 cups broth; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Mix in 2 1/2 cups broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add 3 cups broth and simmer until barley is tender and creamy but still slightly firm to bite, stirring frequently and adding more broth if mixture is dry, about 45 minutes.

Now add whatever you want.

I like to add:
2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup of roasted red peppers
1 cup of spinach leaves
or various freezer-burnt veggies.

Now, you can also dress it up!

Grill large portabello heads, stuff with barley mixture, sprinkled with feta cheese serve on a bed of arugula. YUM!

Jenaya
03-31-2004, 10:04 AM
My latest thing is Cream of Broccoli Soup

Microwave approx. 1 cup of fresh broccoli until tender
Place in blender with one cup of skim milk
1tsp. (or to taste) Mrs. Dash garlic and Herb seasoning
1 tsp dry onion soup mix
salt/pepper to taste
Puree to fine then microwave for 1 minutes and Voila - nice, warm soup
Filling and full of phytochemicals and antioxidants. If you want more protein, add cottage cheese during the puree process.

Jiffy, you have such an incredible sense of humour! Heh, dark chocolate is also a good antioxidant but I think you can only have 1/4 of an ounce. Really, who could stop there? And almonds, well, they are a good source of healthy fat. So, hmmm.....maybe you are on to something?!?!? lol

Jenaya

lessofsarahtolove
04-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Ok, so these are two dishes that are a couple of mainstays in my diet. I love them; I think they're tasty, easy, cheap, and healthy -- and they stick to the ribs. They're both in line with my plan, so the carbs are low-GI, and they're high-protein, low-fat, low sodium, low cholesterol, and have a healthy protein percentage. FYI, One of them, the second one I eat all the time; people think sounds gross when I describe it to them, but when they taste it, they like it a lot. I lived in Italy for a few years, and both dishes are definitely Italian-influenced.

Ginger Penne with Garbanzo Beans, spinach, and Tuna

2 1/2 cups uncooked penne
1 can garbanzo beans, unsalted
2 pouches (NOT cans) Starkist albacore
5-6 heaping handfuls of fresh baby leaf spinach (I get those pre-washed bags)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tbsp. minced garlic (fresh is preferable to jarred, but jarred is just fine)
5 tbsp. minced ginger (fresh is ambrosia, and the jarred is conveniently found next to the garlic, usually in your produce section)
1 tsp garlic powder
black pepper to taste
I don't add salt because the tuna already adds a salty flavor, but if you have to, try to use a small amount of kosher salt; it contains less sodium, and it tastes saltier, so a little goes farther. Also, try to hold off adding it until you've had a chance to taste the unsalted finished product rather than assuming that you'll need it.

Cook the penne in unsalted water until it's cooked al dente; there should still be a bit of resistance when you cut it with your fork, and chewing should still be necessary in order to eat it! ;) Drain it and toss it into a large bowl. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and gently stir to cover. Add the garlic, ginger, and pepper and stir again. Add well-drained can of garbanzo beans and the pouches of tuna UNDRAINED (just open 'em up and pour dump 'em in,) and a couple of handfuls of spinach, and turn them in gently. Keep adding the spinach a little at a time, till it's fully incorporated, adding more lemon juice as needed for moisture. At the end, taste it for salt, and then rethink the salt by adding additional ginger instead! (I'm on an anti-salt crusade!)

You can eat this heated, chilled, or at room temp. This batch should yield 6 servings. Each serving has 350 calories, 7.5 grams fat (1.42 saturated,) Carbs - 45.2 g (dietary fiber - 5.54,) Protein - 26.9 g. The breakdown is Carb 46%, Protein 35%, Fat 19%.

Brown Rice with Kidney Beans and Tuna

1/2 cup brown long grain rice
1 can kidney beans, unsalted
chicken broth, low-sodium and fat free
2 pouches (NOT cans) Starkist albacore tuna
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
No salt is needed, since the chicken broth already has sodium, and the tuna is salty.

Cook the rice in the minced garlic and chicken broth. When it's done, add the garlic powder, kidney beans and tuna, and stir gently to combine ingredients. Once everything is combined, add the cayenne pepper as you like it; it really adds a lot to round out the flavors, so add as much as you like.

This is great hot. This recipe yields 4 servings, each with 299 calories, 2.53 g fat (.9 saturated,) Carbs - 36.2 (Dietary fiber 2.76,) Protein - 34.6 g. The breakdown is Carb 46%, Protein 46%, Fat 8%.

Hope you like these.....I have plenty more where these came from! (My culinary degree comes in handy sometimes!) :D

SuchAPrettyFace
04-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Where's Julie's yummy chili recipe??!?!?!?!??! :)

Here's one from my mom from like 1978, :lol:

Yogurt Berry Pie

1 container (10 oz) frozen red raspberries, thawed
2/3 c sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 carton (8 oz) vanilla yogurt (nonfat)
1 c sour cream (nonfat)
1 6 oz Keebler shortbread pie crust
whipped topping, optional

Drain raspberries, reserving juice; add enough water to juice to measure 2/3 c. In a saucepan, combine sugar & gelatin; add reserved liquid. Heat and stir until sugar & gelatin dissolve. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in yogurt & sour cream; Mix well. Stir in raspberries, pour into crust. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. Garnish w/whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings

dowsx4
04-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Ok you talked me into it Aimee:

2 lbs ground turkey
2 cans light red kidney beans, drained
2 green pepper
1 large onion
6 cloves garlic minced
1 TBS chili powder (more or less to your taste)
2 cans tomato paste
2 cans diced tomatos
4 cups V-8

Brown Garlic in a little olive oil, add ground turkey and cook thoroughly adding peppers and onion at the end and cook until just soft. Put into crockpot and add remaining ingredients and cook for about 5 hours, add salt and pepper to taste. Really good topped with some reduced fat chedder cheese and low fat sour cream. Yum!

SuchAPrettyFace
04-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Cheater's Tuna casserole

1 Lean Cuisine Mac & cheese meal (for each person you are serving)
1 3 oz can of tuna (for each person you are serving)
baby peas or broccoli, about 1/4 cup for each person you're serving

Nuke mac & cheese like it says to on box, drain tuna & pour a little water over peas in a custard cup. Nuke peas for about 60 seconds, then drain. Mix cooked mac & cheese, peas & drained tuna into casserole dish, Nuke for another 90 seconds.

Yum.

artist
04-20-2004, 03:44 AM
OK, here is a really easy recipe (everything I cook is really easy.....) for delicious spicy tomato and lentil soup:

Cook 1 finely chopped onion in a little bit of oil, or spray n fry, until soft.

Stir in 1 -2 crushed garlic gloves, fresh ginger, crushed cumin seeds, 1lb ripe chopped tomatoes (peeled and seeded if you're fussy that way!) and half a cup red split lentils. Cook over low heat for 3 to 4 mins.

Stir in 2 pints of stock and 1 tbsp tomato puree. Bring to boil, then simmer for half an hour until lentils are soft. Season. Puree in blender, reheat and serve.....garnish with swirl of low fat yogurt and some chopped parsley.

Enjoy!

Ivanna B. Skinny
04-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Well... I dont really have very good recipies, but I have to say that Lean Cuisine meals save my life. They even have WW points listed on the box. WW meals arent that great, but the LC are really good! When my husband is at home ot eat Ill fix him an individual ammount of whatever he wants, then fix myself a LC, a big salad, and even a low point desert. I dont know...I just find them easier than trying to cook low points.

howie6267
05-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Going through some of the old post and seen this. I Made this up this week and it was wonderful. I love playing around and coming up with new recipes. You can use low fat or no fat cheese and take a lot of the fat out. I just did not have any on hand.

Baked spaghetti squash
Makes 6 servings
335 calories 22 grams of fat per serving

1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1 clove garlic or to taste
1 habanera pepper, seeds removed. or with seeds if you like spice.
1 green pepper
8 oz shataki mushrooms
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 med size onion
2 spaghetti squash
4 Tbsps olive oil
8 oz bag frozen peeled/de-tailed shrimp (I used salad shrimp)
16 oz of favorite spaghetti sauce
1 cup of salsa

Punch holes all over squash and bake in baking dish for 1 hour at 375.
Take squash out of oven and let cool while you cook the rest.

Dice hot pepper into very small pieces. Dice onion pepper, mushrooms and add crushed garlic; and add in the hot pepper. Put all of this into frying pan with oil and cook on medium until onions and peppers are cooked down. Add in frozen bag of cooked shrimp and the rest of the spices and cook until shrimp are heated.

Now take squash cut it in half and remove seeds. Take a fork and start scraping the squash out. Mix squash and the other vegetables and shrimp. Cover the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and pour sauce and salsa over the mixed vegetables. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 covered with foil. Remove foil and sprinkle cheese over top and cook for 10 to 15 more minutes and then serve.

dowsx4
05-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Oh Howie that sounds positivly delicious! I am definatly going to have to try that one!!

SuchAPrettyFace
04-21-2005, 11:45 PM
bumping this thread :)

howie6267
04-22-2005, 12:25 AM
And speaking of this thread. Where you at Gretchen.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-22-2005, 12:41 AM
No kidding!

Italian Ghoulash. (boo!)

2 eggplants, slices & cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 cans salt free tomatoes, w/their juices
1 bag fresh spinach leaves
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 container (16oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
5 cloves of garlic, crushed (this is a negotiable amount, or ingredient for that matter)
chicken broth & olive oil (only a tsp)
seasoned pepper to taste
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
parsley flakes, to taste
italian seasoning, if you want

Pour chicken broth & olive oil into stockpot, saute onions in it til they're clear, throw garlic in there while this is happening. Add rest of ingredients gradually, let simmer on low for a good 30 min or until most of the veggies have cooked down.

Serve over noodles or rice & sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Can also throw in a chicken breast or two, shrimps, tofu, beef, etc. But this is the basic veggie slop recipe.

Jillegal
04-22-2005, 01:44 AM
This is a Weight Watchers recipe that I love! It makes two servings, so its perfect to have half one night and the leftover half a couple of days later. BUT, its especially great to have with that someone special as part of a romantic meal (add 2 points for a glass of wine). Thing is, it tastes so great my guy doesn't even know its "diet" food (and I want to keep it that way, so :sssh: )

Kung Pao Chicken

2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon minced ginger root
5 ounces skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil
2 to 3 mild, dried chile peppers
1 ounce unsalted shelled roasted peanuts
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into matchstick pieces
1/4 cup diagonally-sliced scallions
1/4 cup canned, ready-to-serve chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch

In a small glass or stainless steel mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, sherry, garlic and ginger root; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

In a nonstick skillet, heat oil; add chili peppers and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until peppers are browned, about 1 minute. Remove and discard peppers. Add peanuts and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until nuts are lightly browned, about 1 minute. Transfer nuts to plate; set aside.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to same skillet, reserving marinade. Cook chicken over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate with peanuts; set aside.

Add bell pepper and scallions to skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add broth and cornstarch to reserved marinade. Stir to dissolve cornstarch; add to bell pepper-scallion mixture in skillet, with chicken and peanuts.

Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.

I like to serve this with wild rice and fresh veggies...mmmmmmm.

willowgirl
04-22-2005, 07:18 AM
This makes for a big meal but its really great for leftovers, or for family meal. I am posting the original recipe, but I did change it a bit for myself.

Grandma's Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy

1 tablespoon butter (I used margerine)
1 clove garlic, pressed
6 pork chops
salt and pepper to taste
1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (I used fresh instead)
1 cup dry sherry (I used red wine because I have no idea what sherry is :dz: )
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth (low sodium!)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and saute until fragrant. Season pork chops with salt and pepper, then fry them in the skillet just until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops to a baking pan or Dutch oven.
Pour the mushrooms into the skillet with the pork drippings and garlic, and stir in the sherry and beef broth, scraping any bits of pork that are stuck to the pan. Bring to a boil, then pour over the pork chops in the baking pan. Cover with a lid, or aluminum foil.
Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, then remove the lid or foil, and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. Remove the chops from the pan to a serving platter, and place the dish on the stove over medium heat. Stir together the cornstarch and water. When the juices in the pan come to a boil, slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon sauce over the chops, and serve.

Made it for my mom and she just loved it!

Calories: 208
Total Fat: 8.1g
Cholesterol: 59mg
Sodium: 680mg (way less I am sure with the low sodium broth)
Total Carbs: 10.7g
Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
Protein: 19.2g

I think this is about 5 pts

SuchAPrettyFace
04-22-2005, 09:50 AM
1 cup dry sherry (I used red wine because I have no idea what sherry is :dz: )hehehe, if you ask one of the clerks @ the grocery store, they can point you to the cooking sherry. :)

Anyone else? Any Gretchen sightings? :lol:

Sandi
04-22-2005, 10:49 AM
jillegal - How many points for your recipe??

Jillegal
04-22-2005, 11:50 AM

Oops, sorry. For the chicken alone its 8 points for TWO servings. I use fat-free chicken broth which might make it even less. With 1/2c wild rice and some 0 point veggies, its a 6 point meal. :)

Jillegal
04-22-2005, 12:01 PM
SAPF - do you think if I threw all your ghoulash ingredients in a crockpot with some chicken and let it simmer while I'm at work it would ruin it? I like the mix of ingredients you've got going there and I think it would result in mighty tender chicken. I guess I'm a bit concerned about the spinach...simmering for so long. Whatcha think? :chin:

Willowgirl - that looks delish and I love the stats! Hmmm....is it for one porkchop or two? ;)

SuchAPrettyFace
04-22-2005, 12:07 PM
I think it would be ok, just don't add the spinach until the last 15-30 minutes.

lessofsarahtolove
04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
SAPF, I LOVE that recipe -- I'm going to try it out next week, when I have more energy! YUM!

These recipes are great!

And where the heck IS Gretchen, anyway?

dragonwoman64
04-23-2005, 01:58 PM
This is from Jenny Craig. I've made it a bunch of times.

Thai Chicken Barbeque

marinate 4 hours, cook 20 minutes

1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce (if you use regular soy sauce it comes out too salty)
2 tbls lime juice
6 cloves garlic, minced (I usually use less)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper (according to how hot you like your food, ditto for curry)
2 (3-lb) broiler fryers cut up and skinned (or you can use skinless chicken breasts, which is what I do, and I reduce the recipe to fit the number of breasts I use)

vegetable cooking spray

1. combine first 6 ingredients in a heavy duty zip lock bag, add chicken and marinate in fridge for at least 4 hours (can turn occassionally)
2. take out chicken, reserving marinade. Put marinade in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
3. You can now either grill the chicken or broil it. Grill it for 20 to 25 minutes, basting with the marinade. If you broil it, turn it a few times to make sure it's well cooked in side, then top with the cooked marinade.

I usually serve this over white rice. Carrots go really well with it.

Makes 12 servings at 197 calories / serving
per serving
9.7 g carbs
23.7 g protein
6.1 g fat
0.1 g fiber
73 mg cholesterol
333 mg sodium

exchanges
1/2 grain
3 lean meats

SuchAPrettyFace
04-23-2005, 08:28 PM
I notice you are not asking me how many points for my veggie-laden recipe. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :p hahahaha, love ya Sandi!

Sarah, you will love it! :) It's almost like a soup. And very filling. :yes: And full of good-for-you phytochemicals that will help you kick cancer's *** some more. :drill: You get him b/c there is no kickboxing smilie. :lol:

Sandi
04-23-2005, 08:37 PM
It didn't look so bad minus the...eggplants, onion, tomatoes, (I like spinach), green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, and mushrooms!!!

What would that leave me with???? :dizzy:

SuchAPrettyFace
04-25-2005, 07:34 PM
SPF's 'homemade' Mushroom Soup

I am obsessed w/the Harvest Mushroom Bisque served @ Roly Poly's sammich shop, so tonight I decided to recreate it.

1 can Campbell's Healthy Choice Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Swanson's Natural Goodness (lowfat & low sodium) Chicken Broth
1 can mushroom pieces & stems
1-2 shakes garlic pepper
1-2 shakes crushed red pepper
3-4 shakes parsley flakes
2 shakes worcestershire sauce (for color & flavor)

Pour soup into pan over low to medium heat--instead of the water the can calls for, stir in a can of the chicken broth instead. (You will have chicken broth leftover, sorry) Mix slowly until well blended. Open the mushrooms, drain them & rinse them in a colander w/water to get rid of the sodium. Drain well & add to soup, mixing them in. Add all other ingredients & heat til edges are bubbly.

This tastes almost exactly like the soup @ Roly's--w/about half the sodium. :T

Gardenwife
04-29-2005, 04:23 PM
These recipes sound great! Jillegal, the Kung Pao Chicken sounds really good to me right now. Here's one I came up with this winter. I'm almost out of my frozen leftovers, so it's time to make up another big pot of it!

I don't know the points on this, but it has 147 calories and 1 gram of fat per 1-cup serving. It's full of protein from the garbanzo and kidney beans, and has lots of veggies. :D

3-Bean & Salsa Soup (20 cups)

1 16oz. Jar Pace chunky salsa - hot
1 46oz. Can tomato juice
2 15.5oz cans stewed tomatoes with basil and oregano
3 cups garbanzo beans, drained
1 16oz. Bag frozen cut green beans
1 14oz. can kidney beans, drained
3 14oz. cans chicken broth
2 14.5oz cans chopped kale, rinsed and drained
1 onion, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, minced
Water

Use low-sodium versions if watching salt intake.

Sautee onion in a pan with a little non-stick spray or cook in microwave to soften. Combine all ingredients in 5qt stock pot and add enough water to bring contents to about an inch of the rim. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a half hour or until veggies are tender. Tastes even better the next day, plus it freezes well.

Jillegal
04-29-2005, 06:44 PM
I love the look of that soup, Kimberley. I'm a sucker for beans and the more veggies in my soup, the better! I'm definitely making myself a pot of that!

I was telling a friend about your mango-veggie mix and here's her reply:

"...does sound good. Has she tried mint in it? I kid you not! There's a similar recipe for Mango Salsa in my Dieting for Dummies book and it is to die for! A really good summer dish. Let's see if I can remember the recipe....

1 3/4 cubed mango
1 clove of garlic (I use the minced already in a jar kind)
2 Tbsp Lime Juice
2 Tbsp diced onion
2 tbsp minced mint leaves (this absolutely MAKES it!)
1-2 jalepeno peppers (depending on your taste) - minced.
Salt and pepper to taste (I add salt to nothing, but pepper to pretty much everything - do whatever floats your own boat).

Mix it up and serve over chicken. I like to put the chicken on a bed of dark green lettuce. It looks pretty. Presentation is everything, you know! No fat and something like 22 calories a serving....I think 1/4 cup makes a serving."

Mint...interesting.

Gardenwife
04-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Ooooh, yeah, I can see where mint would be great in that. Mint's such a fun herb for either desserts or main dishes, one of those great surprising multi-taskers.

SuchAPrettyFace
05-02-2005, 05:05 PM
SPF's Pink Dip

Equal parts:

fat free sour cream
thick & chunky salsa: mild, medium or hot, your choice

Mix together. You can use it as a dip for veggies or baked chips, or as a sauce on fish, chicken, or baked potatoes.

Gardenwife
05-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Sounds great! Mmmmmmmm...

willowgirl
05-03-2005, 12:02 PM
SPF's Pink Dip

Oooh! If I could kiss you I would! I made this and love it (1 c is about 1 WW point for me) BUT the more important thing is that my 7 year old daughter is eating it...WITH CARROTS! Oh glorious day, my child is eating vegetables of her own free will! As a snack even!
:dancer:

Of course, I haven't told her what it is made of and never will :s:

SuchAPrettyFace
05-03-2005, 02:16 PM
You're welcome, guys. :) It is an old Weight Watchers recipe from a girl I used to work with. Here is another:

1 cup fat free cottage cheese, Breakstones is the least watery
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 small onion, chopped<----------more or less to your tastes
1 Tbsp horseradish<--------------more or less to your tastes

Mix well, either by hand or in the blender; can use as a dip for veggies or chips, or on baked potatoes, meats, etc.

The thing about this one is the onions. You can either chop them up fine, or use the dried ones in the shaker. If you use the shaker, you will need to let the dip sit for about an hour so they soak up some liquid.

Pick N Save has MANGOES on sale this week!!!! :D :D :D

Jillegal
05-03-2005, 02:53 PM
:thanks: Great ideas, SAPF!

Here's something I make for those hot summer weekends - its always a request at showers, card parties and bbq get togethers, too. People always ask for my wonderful "Pina Colada Dip" recipe, but I tell them its an old family secret recipe and far too complicated to explain. :devil:

Ingredients:

1 tub fat-free sour cream
1 package coconut cream pie filling (not instant, but the kind you'd normally have to cook on the stove). I use Sheriff brand because its fat free.

Method:

Dump the sour cream into a pretty serving bowl
Mix in the pie filling (right from the box - don't cook)
Chill for several hours.

Serve with a platter of fruit. Especially good for dipping fresh strawberries, pineapple and melon (honeydew, canteloupe and watermelon). This is so delicious and you'd never guess its relatively guilt free! :D

Gardenwife
05-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I bet that last one with the sour cream and coconut pie filling would be great made with lowfat yogurt, too. Hmmmm...

SuchAPrettyFace
05-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Mmmmm, coconut. :T

SPF's Salsa Rice

Make rice like you normally would, then mix in about 3/4 cup to 1 cup thick & chunky salsa, medium or hot, then about a cup of reduced-fat shredded cheddar. Mix while rice is still hot, so cheese gets melty. Making this with lowfat cheese won't matter b/c the salsa is the main flavor, so go ahead, save yourself some fat w/the cheese.

SuchAPrettyFace
05-08-2005, 09:34 PM
SPF's Horseradish Mayo

1/2 cup Hellman's Lite Mayo
1 Tbsp horseradish (NOT the prepared kind, the refrigerated kind that is over by the herring in a jar in the dairy dept near the butter & cheeses)

Mix in a custard cup w/a fork. AWESOME on sandwiches or as a condiment to lean roast beef. We've been having it w/turkey sammiches this weekend. I put too much horseradish in it yesterday & todat we just added a little more mayo to even it out. Yesterday it cleared both our sinuses!!!

Br00klyn
05-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Jilly - That dip sounds wonderful! We're doing a potluck at work next week and that's what I'm going to bring.. :) That way I can guarantee that there will be a healthy option available! And I LOVE coconut so this is exciting! :D

Jenaya
05-12-2005, 12:34 AM
This is my version of apple pie a la mode....

1/2 cup no or low fat plain yogurt
1 unsweetened single serving applesauce
cinnamon to taste
Splenda or sugar to taste

I love it and so do my kids...Quick, easy and yummy. You can modify the ingredient to meet your tastes.

We also like Smoothies

1 cup Low Fat or Regular So Good Vanilla Soy Milk
1/2 cup low fat yogurt
1/2 banana
1/2 cup frozen assorted berries

Throw in the blender and whir until desired consistency. Add more soy milk if you like it thinner. If you don't like Soy Milk substitute with low-fat milk. If using milk, you may need to add sweetner.

Mochahontas
05-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Jenaya
How have you lost the weight so far?

Br00klyn
05-12-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm a huge fan of smoothies too!

I find that rather than using sweetner, a little bit of fruit juice (i like using Cranberry) helps add that little bit of sweetness you need!

My favorite smoothie:
1 Cup of Frozen Berries
1/2 Banana
1/2 Cup of Low-Fat Yogurt
1/4 Cup of Fruit Juice

I find that you don't even need milk...

Love smoothies for breakfast.. they're a great way to start out the day!

YP1
05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
My favourite recipe. This is meant to serve 4, but greedy me eats it all up in one sitting...

Roast pepper and spring onion salad:

Cut and grill 4 peppers (any colour) until the skin goes black and bubbly. Put them in a bag or tupperware container for quarter of an hour. Then peel the skin off and chop them into bits.

Chop a handful of spring onions and add to the peppers.

Make a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs. I use rosemary and thyme mainly. You can also add garlic at this stage (puree or roasted works best).

Pour dressing over peppers and onions and serve.

I love this stuff and could quite happily live off it.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Watermelon Slushie

1-2 cups watermelon chunks
4 ice cubes
1 cup of that flavored calorie-free sugar-free sparkling water, black cherry flavor

Blend in blender til ice is crushed, enjoy!!!

taekwondomom
06-11-2005, 04:13 AM
Turkey 'n' Black Bean Chili/Tacos
1 lb ground turkey
1 onion. chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 Tablespoons chili powder (more or less to taste)
1 15 oz(425g) can southwestern style black beans w/cumin and chili spices
1 can diced tomatoes
Brown and drain ground turkey.
Saute onion and pepper until tender.
Combine turkey, onions, pepper, beans, chili powder and diced tomatoes. Simmer until heated through.

To serve:
As Chili; serve in bowls with shredded chedder or montery jack cheese (low fat) on top and scoop it up with baked low fat tortilla chips
or
as Tacos; spoon a small portion onto wheat tortillas, top with salsa, shredded lettuce and low fat cheese

I don't have the nutrition or points info on this dish, but I would think it is pretty low in fat as long as you are careful with the cheese.

Reaferg
06-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't cook my DH does, but here's my fav recipe.
Meijer brand Chewy Granola Bars
This is how you make them, buy a box, open it, take one out, and eat it they're only 110 calories a piece. And they come in Ch/chip :love: And they are great with coffee :coffee:

SuchAPrettyFace
06-11-2005, 04:27 PM
OMG, Rea, have I got the recipe for you! From a girl I used to work with:

Danni's Fabulous Pasta Salad

1. Get in car.

2. Drive to SuperSaver.

3. Haggle w/old lady for closest parking spot.

4. Laugh as she gives you the finger while you're parking the car.

5. Walk up to Deli Counter.

6. Order 2-3 pounds of Dilly Crab Pasta Salad

7. Pay for food.

8. Drive home.

9. Put pasta salad in your prettiest bowl.

10. Serve @ work the next day.

11. Bask in the compliments on how yummy your salad is.

(This is what I got when I asked her for the recipe)

animequeen
06-11-2005, 10:30 PM
All the recipes sound great. I got this somewhere on line from a bunch of posted ww recipees - but it's my son's favorite:

Smothered Chicken with Pierogi

1 dozen Mrs. T's frozen Potato & Cheddar Cheese Pierogi (When we're feeling adventurous my mom and I spend the day making fresh pierogi but it's quite a task - but if you're not into a pierogi making festival these work)

1 can (10 3/4 oz) low-fat cream of chicken soup

1 package sliced mushrooms (the original recipe calls for a 4 oz can of mushrooms but I don't like canned mushrooms)

1 cup peas (the recipe calls for frozen but I use canned)

2 cups cubed/shredded cooked chicken breast

Preheat oven to 325 and spray a 2 quart casserole dish

In a large saucepan combine all the ingredients except the pierogi
Cook - stirring until heated through

Thaw pierogi in boiling water - drop them into the boiling water and when they float they're ready to take out - take them out and layer the casserole dish with them

Pour the sauce over the pierogi and bake for about 15 minutes

After it's served we put light sour cream on it.

4 servings = 7 points (8 with sour cream)

My other favorite is the WW pineapple cake

1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
1 box angel food cake mix

Mix the pineapple into the cake mix (only the pineapple - nothing else)
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes
12 servings 3 points each

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar098/fireworks01/lb/330.6/160/283.2/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Reaferg
06-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Sounds delish SAPF LOL!

missaprylj
06-14-2005, 02:27 PM
APRYL'S PUMPKIN MUFFINS
(Makes 30 standard muffins)

4 cups flour
4 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried ground ginger
2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg

2 cups canned pumpkin
.25 cup of brown sugar
15 packets Splenda
1 cup egg beaters (1 cup egg whites would do the trick and not alter calories)
1 cup skim milk
½ cup of sugarfree applesauce

first heat oven to 350 degrees F
spray muffin pans with pam cooking spray.
Mix first 7 ingredients (the dry ingredients) in medium sized bowl
Mix remaining ingredients in another big bowl (pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, milk, applesauce)
Combine dry ingredients with wet ones in the larger bowl and wisk together just until blended.
Cook 20 minutes (Some need a bit longer.)

This come out to:
79.8 calories
0.23g Fat
(0.03 Saturated)
1.18g Fiber
3.48g Protein
16.55g Carbs

So it is a *very* healthy recipe. Though: a word of caution. The muffins are not very sweet since I eliminated over 1/2 the sugar from the original recipe. (They are almost more like muffin rolls) If you want them sweeter, you will have to experiment- and up the calories and carbs. :-)

taekwondomom
06-14-2005, 03:51 PM
IMHO-Life just isn't worth living without the occasional chocolate chip cookie!
And these are made with whole wheat flour, are low in calories and have almost no fat in them! :D :)

1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Prune Puree (recipe below)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup dark raisins (I don't add these, not keen on cookies with raisins in them)
1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
Combine the flour, milk powder, sugars and baking soda in large bowl and stir to mix well. Add the prune puree and vanilla extract and stir to mix well. (The mixture will seem dry at first but will from a stiff dough as you keep stirring.) Fold in chocolate chips, raisins, and,m if desired, the walnuts.

Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough onto the sheet, placing them 1 1/2 inches apart. Slightly flatten each cookie with the tip of a spoon.

Bake at 350F for 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pan for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool competely.

Makes 42 cookies

Per cookie:
Calories 43
Fat: 0.7 g
Protein: 0.7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fiber: 0.7 g
Sodium: 26 mg

Prune Puree
3 oz pitted prunes (about 1 1/2 cup)
1 cup water or fruit juice
2 teaspoons lecithin granules (Lecithin, a nurtitious by-product of soybean-oil refining, is sold in health food stores as a food supplement. Improves the texture of baked goods. Commercial bakers often add small amoutns to fat-free and low-fat cookies, breads, cakes and muffins.)

Put all ingredients in blender or food processor, and rocess at high speed until smooth.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Use immediately or place in airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

From the book, Secrets of Fat-Free Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, RD

teapotdynamo
06-14-2005, 04:22 PM
My husband made this last night, and it was such a fantastic summer meal (with almost no calories or fat!). We're having leftovers tonight! :D You may need to add some lean protein or fat on the side, because it's not terribly filling, but it's also good with a slice of whole wheat bread. Last night we had a couple slices of very sharp aged cheddar on the side, and it was perfect!

Gazpacho

2 cups tomato juice
1 large can peeled tomatoes, cut
1 cucumber
1/2 red onion
2 celery hearts
1/2 cup corn
1 green pepper
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 zucchini
1 green chili
1 cup cilantro
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice

Just mix and refrigerate. Best to leave overnight at least, because the flavors really mix.

Stats (approximate per Diet Power) for 1 cup serving:
Calories: 74
Fat: 0.41 g (!)
Carbs: 18.08
Protein: 2.88
Flavor: Through the roof!

Gardenwife
06-15-2005, 01:17 AM
That sounds wonderful! I bet it would be great with some beans in it for protein, or maybe some cubed cooked chicken.

DishyFishy
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
There are some great ideas here. That gazpacho sounds delicious!

The most helpful food for me has been the shake I have on a morning. I've never been a breakfast person so I need something easy to stomach first thing. It's a good way for me to incorporate milk and fruit too, both of which are lacking in my diet.

Basic Banana Shake

½ cup skimmed milk
½ cup 2% plain yogurt (I can't bear FF :barf: )
1 banana
A couple of ice cubes
A few dashes vanilla extract (not essence)

Chuck everything into a blender and process until smooth. :)

Total kcals: 232 (based on a 6 oz banana)

I don't have a sweet tooth so that's pretty much what I have most mornings. Sometimes I add a few strawberries/raspberries (fresh or frozen) for variety. Hubby likes it too but he insists on added sugar for his, or more often, fruit yogurt and lashings of ice cream! :eek:

synger
06-16-2005, 09:59 AM
I love gaspacho, but can't make it at home because Hunter gets headaches from the smell of cucumbers. So I usually make borscht, another good veggie soup, served warm or cold. For a protein boost, I've seen it served with a hard cooked egg. This was something I saw in Russia, too. They'd split a hard cooked egg in half, lay it in the bowl, then ladel the borscht or whatever soup over it. (they did it with hot dogs, too, but that wasn't as good)

Basic easy Borscht

2 quarts beef stock
1 tablespoon butter (or less, if you are using a nonstick pan. The original recipe called for 3 tablespoons)
1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 cup potatoes, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1 stalk celery, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
1/2 cup juice (from can of beets)
1 cup canned beets, diced
1 teaspoon vinegar
chopped dill, parsley, or dill pickle (for garnishing)
light sour cream (optional)

In a large heavy pan, melt butter and lightly sauté cabbage, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion for approximately 5 minutes. Add beef stock.

Blend canned tomatoes or press through a sieve until fine. Add pureed tomatoes and beet juice to stock. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are firmly tender but not soft.

At this point, add the chopped beets and vinegar. Season well with salt and pepper and remove from heat before the beets begin to lose their color.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of dill or parsley or a spoonful of chopped pickle over each bowl.

Jenaya
06-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Synger - I have wanted a borcht recipe for so long - thank you, thank you, thank you must run and start making some now! Cheers,

SuchAPrettyFace
12-18-2005, 01:23 AM
bump!

SuchAPrettyFace
01-03-2006, 12:11 AM
These are the yams I've been eating. They were yum. I only used a little bit of clover honey, bottled lime juice & skipped the sour cream.

Baked Yams with Lime and Honey

3 large Yams (abt 4 lbs)
1/2 cup Water
6 tbsp Honey
4 tbsp Unsalted butter at room temperature
Juice of 4 limes
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Freshly-ground black pepper
Sour cream for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Wash the yams and place in a baking dish with the water. Bake until the potatoes are soft and the skins puffy, about 1 1/2 hours. Set aside to cool slightly (leave the oven on).

Peel the yams and place in a medium baking dish. Add the honey, butter, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir and mash well with a potato masher. Cover with aluminum foil and return to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until heated through. Sprinkle the top with sour cream and serve hot.

This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.

Br00klyn
01-03-2006, 01:00 AM
SAPF - Thanks for bumpin' this thread! I'm sure a lot of us could use this right now. And those Yams sound very yummy! :)

lucky
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
After a year of losing weight I found myself in a rut and getting tired of eating the same stuff over and over. So, I lugged all of my cookbooks back out and found some "new" favorite recipes. They are the ones I made for the first six months and got tired of so now I'm recycling them and remembering how good they were.

Angel Hair Pasta with Lemon and Garlic (from one of the Oprah cookbooks)

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup chopped tomato
4 oz dried spinach angel hair pasta
4 oz dried semolina angel hair pasta
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and maintian at a boil. Put the olive oil and garlic in a saute pan and cook over medium heat just until the garlic begins to brown. Add the wine cook until it is reduced by half. Stir in the lemon juice, tomato, and basil. Cook angel hair for about a minute, drain, and add to the tomato mixture. Top with cheese and pepper.

4 servings at 291 calories each

Now, I rarely follow a recipe EXACTLY so I use diced tomato in a can (unless it is summer and I have ripe tomatoes in the garden) and, I admit it, I use 8 ounces of plain old angel hair. Plus, I've used dried basil in a pinch. I also usually throw in some left over chicken that I've cut into strips and some toasted pine nuts.

lucky
01-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Here is another one that I love. I buy frozen shrimp from Sam's - they are uncooked and clean so all I have to do is thaw them and pull off the tail.

1 cup sliced mushrooms (fresh - and I usually use an entire 8 oz. package rather than measure a cup)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lb medium-large shrimp, uncooked and cleaned
1 1/2 cups champagne
1/4 t. salt
2 T. chopped shallots
2 plum tomatoes, diced (I use one can, drained)
1/2 pt. Fat Free Cream (the original recipe calls for real, heavy whipping cream)
1/2 pound angel hair pasta, cooked
3 T. chopped parsley

Saute mushrooms in olive oil over medium high heat until juices appear and evaporate. Remove and set aside. In the same pan combine shrimp, champagne, and salt over high heat. When liquid just begins to boil, remove shrimp and set aside. Add shallots and tomatoes to cooking liquid and boil until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup (usually 8-10 minutes). Blend in cream and boil until slightly thickened and reduced. Add shrimp and mushrooms and heat through. Adjust seasonings then toss with hot, cooked pasta and parsley.

Serves 4 397 calories, 4.5 grams of fat.

It is YUMMY!
chopped parsely

lucky
01-03-2006, 10:53 AM
This one came from Jenny Craig but I don't remember if it was from a cookbook or my counselor - I think it was her first cookbook. It takes less than 20 minutes from start to table if your shrimp is already cleaned and peeled.

Shrimp Alfredo

6 cups water
2 lbs fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 T. margarine
2 small cloves of mineced garlic
1 T. All purpose flour
1 1/3 cups skim milk
2 T. light cream cheese
1 1/4 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese (divided)
4 cups hot cooked fettuccine
2 t. chopped fresh parsley
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Bring water to a boil and add shrimp. Cook 3-5 minutes and drain well

Melt margarine in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Stir in flour. Gradually ad milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes).

Stir in cream cheese, cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of paremesan and stir until it melts.

Pour over fettuccine, toss to coat and add shrimp and toss again. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, parsley, and pepper.

6 servings (306 calories, 7.3 g fat)

You have to eat this one quick because if the sauce gets to cool it isn't so good. If I remember right, it reheats okay though.

lucky
01-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Yep, I'm on a roll. I love this one because it is so easy but I'm not sure about the calorie count for it.

Quick Beef Soup

1 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef (I'm sure you could use turkey if you prefer but I've never tried it).
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, undrained
6 cups of water
6 beef boullion cubes
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 cup uncooked orzo (I use the stars or ABC pasta instead for the sake of my kids)
1 (16 oz) bag of frozen vegetable blend (peas, carrots, corn, and green beans is our favorite).

Cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium high heat until beef is brown. Drain well. Puree tomatoes with juice in a covered blender (Sometimes I just buy a can of tomato puree but I prefer doing it myself so that there are some chunks of tomatoes left). Add tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, and pepper to meat mixture. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes. Add orzo and vegetables and simmer 15 minutes more.

lucky
01-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Clearly, I could never be on a low carb diet. :) This is really, really good and not as involved as the recipe sounds. Oh, and it freezes well too!

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

12 lasagna noodles, cooked
2 zuchinni (sp?), sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 yellow pepper, coarsley chopped
1 sweet or red onion, coarsley chopped
2 T. balsalmic vinegar
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 t. dried rosemary, crushed
26 oz spaghetti sauce
15 oz fat free ricotta cheese
10 oz chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 large egg white
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Heat ove to 425 degrees. Coat shallow metal pain with cooking spray. Add vegetables. Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, and rosemary. Brush over vegetables. Bake 15 minutes, toss, then bake another 8 minutes. Spoon 1 cup of sauce in bottom of a 9x13 pan. Arrange 4 pieces of lasagna on top. Cover with another 1 c. of sauce. Mix ricotta, spinach, egg white, and pepper. Drop by spoonfuls over sauce. Arrange 1/2 of vegetables betweenthe cheese and top with 4 more pieces of lasagna. Continue layering. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover, sprincle with mozzerella and parmesan. Bake 5 more minutes then let stand 10 minutes before serving.

12 servings (150 calories each)

You can roast just about any vegetables you like. Every thing I've ever tried has turned out good.

Glory87
01-05-2006, 01:40 AM
I love to cook :)

Spinach Chickpea Leek Soup

This is SO good and so fast and easy to make - makes plenty for several days. Great to make on a Sunday and eat all week.

1 tbs olive oil
2 leeks, sliced thinly (circles)
1 zuchini, chopped
minced garlic (I use tons)
2 14 oz cans tomatoes
small can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3 3/4 cup veg broth
1 14 oz can chickpeas (gabanzo beans) drained
block of frozen spinach (thawed, drained)
1 tbs oregano
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
fresh parm cheese for topping (if desired)

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add leeks and zucchini and cook briskly for 5 minutes.

Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, vegetable broth, chickpeas and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Shred the spinach finely, add to the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season to taste. (the longer it cooks on the stove, the better it is). Remove the bay leaf, sprinkle with parmesan cheese (if desired). Great with crusty bread!

Spicy pasta sauce with veggie crumbles

3 cans 14 oz tom
1 can 12 oz tom paste
1 onion, diced
garlic (I use TONS)
1 tbs olive oil
Sun dried tomatoes
Fresh Basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Whatever else I feel like - black olives, mushrooms, carrots, zuch
1 package MorningStar Farm Crumbles
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Splash of red cooking wine
whole wheat/spinach pasta

Saute onion/garlic for 5 minutes until translucent. Add veggie crumbles, dried oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. Brown the veggie crumbles - stirring often.

While the veggie crumbles are browning, put 2 cans tomatoes (with juice), tom paste, fresh basil and half the sun dried tomatoes into a food processor -blend until smooth.

Put the tomato mixture over the crumbles and stir.

Put the last can of tomatoes into the food processorand pulse until the tomatoes are chunky. Throw these in with the rest.

Add the rest of the sun dried tomatoes and any other additional veggies. Add a splash of red cooking wine. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve over whole wheat pasta.

Charcooked Vegetables with Spicy Sidekick Dressing

Note: I don't eat meat, but I guess this would be a great recipe to add a grilled chicken breast to

Grilled Veggies

1 red pepper
1 orange (or yellow pepper)
2 zucchini
4 corncobs
1 eggplant
olive oil

Spicy Sidekick Dressing

1 tbs olive oil
crushed garlic (I use a lot)
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 small green chile, seeded and finely chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 inches of cucumber, finely chopped
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs lime or lemon juice (I usually use a little more)

Dressing

To make the dressing, heat the oil in a saucepan or skillet. Add the garlic and onion and saute gently until softened, around 3 minutes. Add the celery, chile and tomatoes, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.

Add the cucumber, tomato paste and lemon/lime juice and simmer for 8-10 minutes until thick and pulpy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Veggies

Cut the veggies into thick slices and brush with a little olive oil. Cook the vegetables on the grill for about 5-8 minutes, sprinkling them with salt, pepper and fresh herbs as they cook, turning once (under the broiler in the oven is okay too).

This dish is delicious served over brown rice with lime wedges to squeeze.

Quinoa Black Bean Sweet Potato Quesadillas

1 cup quinoa, washed/drained (use brown rice if you can't find quinoa)
1 large sweet potato/yam
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (I used more)
1 14 oz can of tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can green chiles
2 tbs minced cilantro
Some low fat cheese
Whole wheat, low fat tortillas
Salsa

Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water. When done, set aside.

While the quinoa is simmering, I cut up the sweet potatoes into small pieces (dice sized) and spray a cookie sheet with PAM. I bake the potatoes for around 20 minutes (shaking often) until they are soft and getting crispy. (if I don't have time, I nuke them for 5 minutes!)

Saute onion, garlic. Stir in tomato (crushed, with juice), black beans, chiles, cilantro. Add quinoa, potatoes. Season with salt and pepper (I added some red pepper flakes, because i like spicy). Stir and heat through.

Put in tortillas, add some cheese so it sticks together, grill on both sides. Top with lots of salsa. Made enough for 3 nights! (I just grilled a new one each night. Last time I made it, I added some spinach leaves to mine, it was pretty good.

Pan Seared Scallops Over Wilted Spinach

This recipe may look complicated, but it's really not. The whole thing took me about 45 minutes, including marinating the scallops.

Marinade
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (I just used regular)
2 teaspoons sesame oil (I used one!)
Juice of 2 small limes (I saved two small pieces to serve as a garnish)
1 small piece of fresh ginger, grated
Garlic (the recipe didn't call for any in the marinade, but I love the stuff)
10 good sized scallops (I made this dish for 2)
The recipe didn't call for it, but I added some red pepper flakes to the marinade!

Sauce
Minced green onion
Minced garlic (I used a TON)
Minced ginger
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (I forgot to buy these, so didn't use them)

Spinach "Nests"
1/2 teaspoon oil
Minced green onion
Minced garlic
2 bunches of fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and chopped (I bought one of those bags of ready to go baby spinach)
1 tbs sesame seeds

The recipe didn't call for it, but I made a cup of quinoa too! I made it like rice (1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15)

To make the marinade -

Combine vinegar, water, soy, oil and lime juice in a blender. Add the ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and blend on high speed until smooth.

Put the scallops in a shallow pan with 1/2 of the marinade (save the other half of the marinade for later). Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Make the sauce

Put the reserved marinade in a sauce pan, add the green onions, ginger, garlic and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stir in the cilantro and then remove from heat (it reduces nicely).

Make the Quinoa

As directed above, I also thought a nice pearl cous cous would be good here!

Make the Spinach Nests

In a large saute pan, heat hte oil over medium heat and cook the green onions and shallots until softened. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. (it's amazing how much spinach cooks down!)

Pan Sear Scallops

Remove the scallops from the marinade and discard the extra marinade. Heat a large skillet over medium-high, and heat a litte oil. Place scallops in the pan and cook until golden brown. Turn scallops, and cook the other side. (I added a little salt and pepper before I put them in the pan).

Stack the food

Divide the spinach between plates and top each mound of spinach with quinoa. Add scallops. Spoon the sauce over the scallops and garnish with a lime wedge.

Nori71
01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread up - I've gotten so many good meals from it so far! Thanks!

activeadventurer
01-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I haven't really had a chance to read all of this thread but wanted to pass on the thing that has helped me the most with MAINTAINING my previous weight loss has been eating 6 times a day. It seems to cut binging to a very bare minimum. I can' t wait to print out some of these recipes. See ya DCM

Scrappy Chick
01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
This is one of my favorite recipes. My husband even loves it and requests it almost every week.

Healthy Pork Chops Dijon
3 TBSP Dijon Mustard
2 TBSP Lite Italian salad dressing (I use the "zesty" version)
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 Pork loin chops, cut 1/2 inch thick
PAM
1 medium onion, sliced

In a small bowl, combine mustard, dressing and pepper; set aside. Trim excess fat from chops. Spray a 10-inch skillet with PAM. Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and brown on both sides. Remove chops from skillet. Add onion to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes. Push onion aside; return chops to skillet. Spread mustard mixture over chops. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until pork is no longer pink. Serve onion over pork chops. Makes 4 Servings.

Heva2015
01-24-2006, 07:51 PM
My recipe but I don't eat meat so I feed it to the other half...it is his diet recipe!!!

Chop up some peppers and put them in a bag with bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and italian seasoning. Shake it up and then throw in some mini chicken fillets. Put the peppers in a baking tray leaving the chicken in the bag to marinate. Put the peppers in the oven on about 200c, no idea in farenheit, after a couple of hours put the chicken on top and leave it in the over for another 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Serve with rice or pasta.

SuchAPrettyFace
02-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Easy Italian Pasta Dinner

1 can diced tomatoes (I use the no salt added)
1 can fat free or healthy request cream of mushroom soup
Italian seasoning (if you dont have it, can add garlic, parsley, oregano, crushed red pepper)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (can use more or less)
hot cooked pasta

Mix soup & tomatoes with their juice in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, adding seasonings & cheese when bubbly. Stir in, mixing well. Serve over hot pasta w/extra parmesan cheese & parsley on top if you wish. Very easy & very good.

That is the basic recipe, I like to add mushrooms to it. You could add whatever you wanted, even meat!

buckettgirl
02-28-2006, 09:04 AM
One of my favorite dinners is baked potato w/veggies and chicken and it is very easy...
Baked potato - large or small, doesn't matter (or however many you need to serve your family)
Green Giant frozen veggies with a sauce - There are not many calories even with the sauce(I like the broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots with cheese; I have yet to try the brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, and green beans with a tuscan herb sauce)
Precooked grilled chicken (you can find it in your deli section)

Microwave the veggies and the grilled chicken

Top your baked potato with the veggies, letting the sauce seep through (no need for butter or anything like that). Top that with a serving of the grilled chicken.

I find this to be very filling and usually can't eat very much of it... But I love potatoes, so this is a good way to get my potato without all of the "extras". Plus it also gives a good serving of protein... It is quick and easy, as long as you have time to get the potato in the oven far enough ahead of dinnertime.

corayay
03-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out there...

One of my favourite foods (that I really shouldn't have ever again, oh dear) is fish tacos from Del Taco. Depending on where you are in the world, you may or may not have heard of them. They are FABULOUS. This is my cheap (in more ways than one!) knock-off...they don't quite capture the...charisma of Del Taco's version, but they are tasty and very easy on calories/fat, but probably not a good idea for low-carb.

Fish Tacos Brie-style

2 corn tortillas
2 fish fillets (I used Van De Kamp's frozen fish tenders)
1/4 cup shredded fresh cabbage
2T. FF sour cream
1T. salsa, any kind (Pace chunky mild here)

Assemble as desired. :)

Nutrition info (for my choices):

Calories: 258
Fat : 7g
Carbs: 40g
Protein: 13g

For 2 tacos. They're pretty small but they're very, very filling. :)

Goddess Jessica
03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I had this tonight for dinner. I enjoyed it and even though the Cute Boyfriend turned up his nose and said, "Squash?! Ewww..." He went back for seconds.

I think one of the foods that doesn't make me feel good is pasta. I have never really liked the lead weight that ends up in my stomach after eating it.

Pasta-less Spaghetti Dinner

Buy a spaghetti squash (yes, it will usually say spaghetti squash but it looks like this):
http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/spaghettisquash.jpg

Pierce the skin and microwave it for about 5 minutes a pound or until you press of it and it feels like you could cut into it (the more you cook it, the less aldente it will be). Let it sit.

In a pan, brown turkey breast until half of it is cooked. I throw in some spices here but that's because I can't leave well enough alone. Usually oragano, sweet basil, garlic and some salt. Throw in a jar of spaghetti sauce and simmer it for 5 minutes (this cooks the turkey the rest of the way without turning it into little erasers).

Cut open the spaghetti squash and gently scrape the seeds out (I use a ice cream scoop to do this because it's easy). Then, use a fork to pull out the meat of the squash. It's kinda cool, it just come out like noodles.

Cover the "noodles" with pasta sauce and serve with some good parm and a glass of red.

Gardenwife
03-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Spaghetti squash is da bomb - we love it. Do you pierce the skin of the squash before you microwave it? I cut it in half and put it cut side down in a wide baking dish with a couple teaspoons of water, then put plastic wrap over it. Your way sounds a lot easier. I was just afraid it would not cook evenly if I cooked it whole, but it obviously does fine!

jmacway
03-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Make sure to poke a few holes all the way in the spagetti squash. I had a squash blow up in the microwave once because I did not poke the hole far enough into the sauash.

Gardenwife
03-03-2006, 05:09 PM
That's what I was afraid of! Better that than a poodle. LOL

Goddess Jessica
03-04-2006, 03:13 PM
LOL, good point guys - I'll edit!

Yeah, it does cook suprising even!

SuchAPrettyFace
04-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Chocolate Milkshake

Pour half a packet of sugar free instant pudding into blender.

Add ice, then pour fat free milk until it covers about half an inch over the ice.

Blend.

Drink.

bumping this recipe for our new members. Also to remind Gretchen where she was when she started this awesome thread. :D

Also: Look, Sandi!!! A recipe w/no veggies!!!!!! :p

rabidstoat
04-09-2006, 06:32 AM
This is my new favorite. The first time I made it, I ate it for lunch and then also for leftovers for dinner! I imagine it might be kid friendly too.

PEPPER STEAK

Ingredients

*2 tablespoons olive oil
*1 medium onion, chopped
*3 large bell peppers, sliced into thin strips (colorful ones!)
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
*3 T honey
*1/3 cup red wine vinegar
*1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut into thin strips
*1-2T cornstarch

I'm sort of guessing on my list, I know the sauce is equal parts soy sauce and red wine vinegar, and half as much honey. And I use about 1 bell pepper per 1/2 pound of meat. The trick is to make it as colorful as you can. The cornstarch is just to thicken, so start with a tablespoon and see how it goes.

Directions
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, bell peppers, and garlic in oil until tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour soy sauce, honey, and red wine vinegar in pan, then add beef. Cook beef, stirring frequently, until done (5-10 minutes I think). Stir in cooked vegetables, and cook another 10 minutes. While cooking this final step, add in cornstarch to thicken sauce to desired consistency.

You might need to lower the cook times, don't burn it! The original recipe had it cooking even longer. You just want the veggies crisp, and the meat cooked, basically.

Serve over brown (or other) rice. I usually get 8 or 9 servings out of that, but if you have hearty eaters, it might just be 6 or so.

bluedevil
04-09-2006, 09:06 AM
I think that these all came from old Cooking Light magazines, but I'm not certain... All I know is that they're all tasty!!

Rotini with Spicy Turkey Sausage and Mustard Greens
Serves 8

1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
4 quarts water
1 (13.5-ounce) package uncooked whole-wheat blend rotini
Cooking spray
1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage
8 ounces bagged prewashed mustard greens
½ cup half-and-half
½ cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Place ½ cup broth in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat.
2. Combine water and remaining broth in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in pasta. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain well; place pasta in a large bowl. Keep warm.
3. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in greens; cook 2 minutes or until greens wilt. Add reduced broth, half-and-half, and cheese. Cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
4. Add sausage mixture to pasta, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss well to combine. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 ½ cups pasta mixture).

Calories: 328
Fat: 10.4 g (sat 4.3g, mono 3.4g, poly 2.3g)
Protein: 20.6g
Carbs: 40.7g (fiber 5.4g)
Cholesterol: 61mg
Sodium: 635mg

Tex-Mex Chicken ‘n’ Rice Casserole
Serves 12

1 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp. margarine, butter or olive oil
1 (6.6 oz) package regular chicken-flavored rice-vermicelli mix
1 c. long grain rice
2 14-oz. cans chicken broth
2 ½ cups water
4 c. chopped cooked chicken or turkey
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained
2 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin seed, crushed, or ¼ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. In a 3-quart saucepan, cook onion in hot margarine, butter or oil until tender. Stir in rice-vermicelli mix, including seasoning package, and uncooked rice. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and simmer 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).

2. Transfer the mixture to a very large mixing bowl; stir in chicken or turkey, tomato, chili peppers, basil, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.

3. Bake, covered, in a 425º oven for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 5 minutes more.

Make ahead tip: Prepare casserole; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 5 minutes more.

294 calories
10 g fat (4 g saturated)
55 mg cholesterol
614 mg sodium
29 g carbohydrates (1 g fiber)
22 g protein

Shrimp and Tofu Pad Thai
Serves 10 (serving size: about 1 ½ cups)

2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into ½-inch cubes
2 cubes finely shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
¼ cup Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 pound medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
2 cups thinly sliced green onions
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 pound uncooked wide rice noodles (banh pho)

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Spoon tofu into a large bowl. Add cabbage to pan; sauté 30 seconds or until just beginning to wilt. Add cabbage to tofu. Remove pan from heat.

2. Combine fish sauce and next 6 ingredients (through chili garlic sauce). Combine water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk; stir into vinegar mixture.

3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté 1 minute. Add vinegar mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add shrimp mixture, green onions, and cilantro to cabbage mixture; toss to combine.

4. Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well. Add noodles to cabbage mixture; toss well to combine.

Calories: 339
Fat: 7.8g (sat 1.5g; mono 2.7g; poly 3.2g)
Protein 16.8g
Carb: 48.8g (fiber 2g)
Cholesterol: 88mg
Sodium: 819mg

Grape Clafouti
Makes 6 servings

½ teaspoon butter, softened
¾ pound seedless red grapes (about 2 cups)
3 eggs
½ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1¼ cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons raspberry jam
1 tablespoon water

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10-inch ceramic baking dish or pie plate. Spread grapes on bottom. In a blender, combine eggs, flour, sugar, salt and milk until smooth. Pour over grapes. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly on a wire rack. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt jam in water. Let cool slightly. Cut clafouti into wedges and drizzle with jam syrup.

201 calories
6 g protein
35 g carbohydrate
4 g fat
1 g fiber

SuchAPrettyFace
10-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Easy Peasy Pasta e Fagioli (fazool)

1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added is what I use)
1 can white kidney beans (cannellini)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 pound ditalini pasta
spices (oregano, garlic, salt, pepper)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile open can of beans & rinse & drain thoroughly. Put oil in saucepan, you can put a fresh clove of garlic in now, let it heat up a bit, add tomatoes & cook for about 5 minutes. Fish garlic out & add beans & spices. Simmer about 5 minutes, then add drained pasta. Serve immediately w/parmesan if you want.

^^this makes 3-4 servings. Peasant food, I know. But it's tasty & cheap.

Baked Potato Topping:

1 can black beans
1/2 cup medium salsa, thick & chunky

Drain beans & rinse all muck off them very thoroughly. Mix drained beans with salsa. You are done! How easy was that!?!?!?!

Br00klyn
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Firstly, I definetly agree with all of you on the Spaghetti Squash! I LOVE IT! And can eat it numerous different ways... I cut it in half (raw), then scoop out the seeds, then cook each half seperately in the microwave, turned upside down in a bowl w/ some water to steam it. I love having it just w/ a little tiny bit of EVOO, hot sauce and parmesan cheese - YUM! Haven't tried it as a substitute for pasta but that's on the menu for next week!

Anyways, so I "invented" my own veggie chili tonight that I made for dinner and it was to die for! :) Very filling and very good for you!

Celina's Vegetarian Chili
1 Onion
2 Cans of Chili Style Tomatoes
1 Packet of Old El Paso Chili Seasoning
Fresh Garlic
Sea Salt / Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Can of Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
1 Can of White (or Red) Kidney Beans
1 Can of Black Beans
1 Can of Corn
1 Red Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Orange Pepper
1 Zucchini
1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Saute all the chopped veggies and onion w/ olive oil, garlic, a little tabasco, salt and pepper. Add all cans and stir very well - then add Chili Powder mix, stir well. Let simmer 30-45 minutes. (I used a little bit of flour/water to thicken the mixture after I brought to a boil).

SuchAPrettyFace
07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
bumping for new peeps.

hellokitty81668
07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't make this in the summer, it is just too hot.
This is what you need, a package of black beans/or red central american beans, cilantro, onion and garlic chopped, cumin powder, red pepper flakes, oregano( mexican), and salt to taste.
I wash the beans and add them to a pot, add enough water to cover beans and more. start to cook over medium heat. I then add the choped onions, and garlic, also some cumin pepper flakes oregano and salt.
This can take up to 4 hrs to cook, when the beans are tender add the cilantro. You can top with fat free sour cream, green onions, we eat them with boiled green bananas.
With the left over beans I fry them...
I take some more chopped onion, garlic, add pepper to it and fry until soft( you can use olive oil, or pam), then I add the left over beans, with liquid. You stir this until liquid begins to evaporate, and it should thicken up. You can eat this with Corn tortillas, or whatever .
cheryl

ladyviv
06-13-2009, 04:25 PM
This is not a recipe, and if it's a dup, I apologize in advance.

Take 2 average size baking potatoes (cleaned and dried), stick in microwave for 7 minutes. Take out and spray lightly with cooking spray, then put in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes; it gives you that 'baked' skin taste.

I used a toaster oven, but I'm sure an oven set as I described would give the same results. I also use about 2 tsps butter sprinkles; great flavor, 10 calories!

sprklemajik
06-13-2009, 06:47 PM
My favorite low cal meal so far has been homemade sushi. I skip the rice, mayo, etc. and use bean sprouts for filler. It can be made with all sorts of vegetables and it's super easy :)

CJZee
06-13-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm just learning to "really" cook (as opposed to throwing things in a microwave) so simplicity is key for me. I also discovered that lean pork cuts like tenderloin have about the same fat as skinless chicken breast. So this is a really easy and good pork recipe.

* 4 pork chops one-inch thick
* 1 tsp ground thyme
* 1 tsp ground rosemary
* 1 tsp sea salt
* 1 tsp fresh black pepper
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* Enough olive oil to brown both sides of the pork chops

1. Combine herbs, salt, pepper. Apply liberally on both sides (I actually used a lot more thyme than called for.)
2. Let sit on the counter for 30 minutes.
3. Heat olive oil in large cast-iron skillet until medium hot.
4. Sit chops in the pan and leave them alone until you turn them so you don't tear off the herbs. Brown on each side approximately 4 minutes (lower heat if needed).
5. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Turn off heat (and remove from burner).
6. Let sit 10-12 minutes with NO HEAT. (If thinner chops are used, reduce time they sit for 6-8 minutes)

Serve them! They are delicious.

Elladorine
08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Chili Burritos

half a pound of ground turkey (optional, I sometimes omit)
1 bag of instant brown rice (the plain boil-in-the-bag kind)
1 can of black beans
1 can of your favorite chili (I look for a low-fat or vegetarian kind)
1 package of your favorite mexican-friendly grated cheese (I grab a low-fat kind here as well)
1 packet of taco seasoning (the kind designed to add to a pound of ground beef)
1 package of whole grain tortillas

Brown the ground turkey in a skillet, being sure to stir it as it cooks so it crumbles well. While that is cooking, prepare the bag of rice according to the directions on the box. When both the rice and ground turkey are cooked, combine in a saucepan. Add the can of black beans (do not drain), the can of chili, and the taco seasoning packet. Stir over medium heat for about ten minutes to allow the taco seasoning to mix in well and hydrate. Warm up your tortillas so they are soft and pliable, then scoop a large spoonful of your taco mixture into each. Top the mixture with a few pinches of shredded cheese before folding the tortilla into a burrito.

Makes 8 burritos.

I normally make these only for myself, so I have just one and freeze the rest in individual zip-lock sandwich bags. I love making them ahead of time so I have easy meals to grab from the freezer throughout the week. To reheat a frozen burrito, open the zip-lock bag but leave it inside. Microwave on high for one minute, then flip over to heat up for one more minute.

I sometimes add chopped onion, tomato, salsa, whatever sounds good at the time to add a little variety. :)

CLCSC145
01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Old, thread, but some great recipes! I just made this soup (http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/winter-lentil-soup-10000001151425/index.html) (was published in Real Simple magazine) and it was soooo good! Surprisingly flavorful. And inexpensive.

Winter Lentil Soup

Serves 6 Hands-On Time: 20m Total Time: 1hr 00m

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 4 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
* 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
* 6 cups water (I used 8 cups of low sodium chicken stock)
* 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves cut into 1/2-inch-wide cubes
* 1/2 cup brown lentils
* 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (I used dry, it was fine)
* Kosher salt and black pepper
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce; optional)

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.

2. Add 6 cups water (I used 8 cups low sodium chicken broth as it needed the extra liquid - I think my sweet potatoes were big) and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, kale, lentils, thyme, 1 ½ teaspoons salt (use less if you use low sodium chicken stock), and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. (I had to cook it more than twice as long to get the lentils tender. Covering the pot makes it go faster)

3. Spoon into bowls and top with the Parmesan, if using.

By Sara Quessenberry, March 2006

Nutritional Information

* Per Serving
* Calories 226 (a little more with the chicken stock)
* Calories From Fat 21%
* Fat 4g
* Sat Fat 1g
* Cholesterol 3mg
* Sodium 799mg
* Protein 12g
* Carbohydrate 38g
* Fiber 7g

mygritsconfessions
01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Your Lentil Soup looks wonderful. A friend at work made a homemade Lentil Soup and I ate it for several days. Was absolutely delicious and filling!

PeanutsMom704
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
not a recipe exactly, but one thing that helps keep me on track is pita pizza. You toast a whole wheat pizza, spoon on some fat free marinara or pizza sauce and a couple of ounces of shredded mozz (I use Kraft 2%, best of all that I've tried). Bake for a few minutes at 350 (toaster oven works great) and it's really good and satisfies the need for cheesy pizza goodness. You could add toppings too, of course, I happen to like plain cheese pizza.

Jaimie
01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I love to cook and I love to experiment with foods...so here's what my favorite thing to make is lately [mind you it's for one, I eat alone ;) ]:

Garlic Dill Chicken with Lemon
1 4oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dill
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup of water

In a small skillet, heat olive oil and add garlic on medium heat. Let the garlic sit in the oil for about 30 seconds to allow the flavor to infuse the oil. Add chicken breast, flipping it to coat each side in the garlic oil. Sprinkle dill on each side of the chicken breast. Add lemon juice and water. Use a wooden spatula or spoon to mix the juices in the pan. Cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on one side and then flip the chicken to cook on the other side until cooked through. NOTE: you can use olice oil cooking spray instead, just add the garlic when you add the lemon juice and water.

Garlic Dill "Roasted" Potatoes
2-3 Yukon Gold potatoes diced
1 tsp dill
1 tsp minced garlic
olive oil cooking spray

In a medium skillet, coat the pan in the olive oil spray and add the potatoes. Sprinkle the dill and garlic over the mixture. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are cooked through. This gives the potatoes a nice crispy outside, like roasted potatoes.

I'm addicted to my Wishbone Italian Vinagrette Spray [only 1 calorie per spray!] So when everything is done cooking, I spray a bit of the vinagrette ontop and it's just delicious.

For those following WW
Potatoes= 3pts for 1 cup
Chicken Breast w/olive oil= 5pts
Chicken Breast w/spray= 4pts

anna1184
01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
i had to bookmark this page because of all the wonderful recipes!!! :) :)

Trazey34
01-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I have a soup I make a lot, and it's a bit embarassing because it's not exactly 'cooking' more like 'assembling' LOL

* 1 lb lean ground beef (usually have 1/2 grd. beef, 1/2 turkey)

brown up and remove any fat, and add sliced onions (i use a ton) sliced carrots and celery and sautee til tender. I sprinkle about 1/4 pack of taco seasoning mix on it, just for taste.

add 1 litre of stock (either beef or chicken, low sodium)

add 2 cans Campbells Cream of Tomato soup

add 1 big can of chopped stewed tomatoes

add 1/2 bag EACH of green beens, corn, peas, any combination of veg you like! chock it full of stuff!

if it's not 'soupy' enough after all that stuff in it, i either add more stock or a splash of V8 juice or something!

it's REALLY good lol, and hearty so you feel like you've eaten something!

jewelrymaker81
01-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Low Fat Thai Peanut Chicken
1 package Taste of Thai Peanut Sauce mix (has 2 envelopes in the pkg-use both) 2 cans fat-free chicken broth 1 bag frozen stir fry veggies 3-4 chicken breasts

Mix broth and sauce mix in saucepan. Brown chicken breasts in skillet while your sauce comes to boil. I add a little of the sauce to the skillet to flavor the chicken. When chicken is done, add to boiling sauce and throw your veggies in there. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes while veggies cook. So easy and SO tasty. Serve over rice, or eat as a soup.

Last time I made this I put broth, sauce mix, and frozen chicken breasts in crockpot and cooked it all afternoon, then added the veggies for the last few minutes. It was good but not quite as much flavor. I think because of the water from the chicken breasts, it watered it down a bit. Would still work this way, I'd just use a little less broth. Prep is quicker that way, rather than cooking the chicken in the skillet. I love the crockpot!

Southwest Crockpot Chicken
3-4 chicken breasts
1 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can rotel
1 can chicken broth
garlic and onion to taste
Cook all in crockpot 4-6 hours. Shred chicken when done and serve in tortillas, or leave breasts whole and serve over rice. Adding a little sour cream really makes this delicious.

cfmama
01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Homemade sushi!!!

I use fake crab, cooked shrimp, avacado slices, cucumber, sushi rice and nori. I don't add any mayo etc. SOOOOO good!

ToriLeigh
01-19-2010, 01:19 AM
I just made a pizza tonight that was soo good.
Whole wheat low fat/carb tortilla
tomato sauce seasoned with garlic, pepper and red pepper flakes
non-fat mozzarella
left over zucchini, onions and red peppers
a couple slizes of turkey pepperoni

It was really good and filling

duckchick
07-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Is it ok to still add to this thread? This recipe is from the site 101 Cookbooks, a favorite of mine.

Coconut Red Lentil Soup

1 cup / 7 oz / 200g yellow split peas
1 cup 7 oz / 200g red split lentils (masoor dal)
7 cups / 1.6 liters water
1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh peeled and minced ginger
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons butter or ghee
8 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
1/3 cup / 1.5 oz / 45g golden raisins
1/3 / 80 ml cup tomato paste
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
one small handful cilantro, chopped

cooked brown rice or farro, for serving (optional)

Give the split peas and lentils a good rinse - until they no longer put off murky water. Place them in an extra-large soup pot, cover with the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the carrot and 1/4 of the ginger. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the split peas are soft.

In the meantime, in a small dry skillet or saucepan over low heat, toast the curry powder until it is quite fragrant. Be careful though, you don't want to burn the curry powder, just toast it. Set aside. Place the butter in a pan over medium heat, add half of the green onions, the remaining ginger, and raisins. Saute for two minutes stirring constantly, then add the tomato paste and saute for another minute or two more.

Add the toasted curry powder to the tomato paste mixture, mix well, and then add this to the simmering soup along with the coconut milk and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or so. The texture should thicken up, but you can play around with the consistency if you like by adding more water, a bit at a time, if you like. Or simmer longer for a thicker consistency. The thicker this soup got, the more I liked it.

lottie63
03-06-2011, 10:36 AM
This is really, really filling and very low cal. esp if you make it with roasted curryflower instead of rice. :D One of my fave recipes so far along with my chili (will post that later)

http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/2011/03/recipe-sweet-potato-spinach-curry.html

lottie63
07-26-2011, 08:32 PM
This is my fave right now!

for my veggie and veggie friendly fat chicks!

Asian inspired bbq tofu tacos! (with pics)

http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/2011/07/kitchen-sink-or-asian-inspired-bbq-tofu.html

Snaplet
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Here are a three healthier tuna salad variations which I enjoy.

Spicy Tuna Salad Salad (two ways):

small can of solid white albacore mushed up with a fork
drizzle extra virgin olive oil
spicy premixed curry powder (I just sprinkle it on to taste)
fresh ground black or mixed pepper

mix the tuna, oil and seasoning then stir in
One med-large apple cored and cut in chunks(skin on)
One fat slice of a medium onion diced finely

Serve a scoop of this on top of a generous mound of mixed lettuce

The contrast of flavors and textures is really nice and the apple and spice helps the tuna mixture to be juicy in the mouth even with very little oil added.

2nd way: substitute pre-mixed Jamaican jerk seasoning and omit the curry and black pepper.

Not The Sushi Salad

small can of solid albacore tuna separated into bite sized chunks with a knife
dab a tiny amount of wasabi onto each piece of tuna
Cucumber with seeds removed cut into bite sized pieces
sprinkle the cucumber with good Japanese soy sauce
toss a handful of lettuce (I prefer iceberg or other light lettuce for this) with ginger salad dressing
Add the cucumber and tuna to the top of the dressed lettuce without mixing or tossing

High in sodium, but super flavor especially for anyone who loves sushi flavors but is avoiding white rice/carbs.

April Snow
07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Not The Sushi Salad

I don't eat canned tuna, but I am SO going to try this with some fresh tuna or salmon, it sounds fantastic!! (cooked, not raw, as I don't think I can buy sushi grade fish)