South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 09:14 AM   #1  
Southern Belle

Wink Starting SBD tomorrow. . . . advise welcome

Hello

I'm going to be starting South Beach tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advise for me. I haven't even bought the book yet (will today) but I have been researching SB on the internet and found Phase 1 food lists, so I already have started my grocery list.

I have been overweight all my life and have many health related problems, including diabetes, joint problems and a heart problem. Exercise is very limited for me but I do have a treadmill and walk several times a day. (I am unable to walk a long time in one session). I am trying with all my being to just get up and be more active. And as if God was trying to help me, all of a sudden this week I got a phone call to coach 8 and under softball which I haven't done in years. But it will be more activity and make me move a little more. My daughter is on the team and I didn't mind helping but in no way was I planning to be head coach, but I now think it's a good thing. It's a Coach pitch team which means one of us coaches has to pitch every inning to our own team. That will definitely help get me moving. It already has, since I have started practicing. Do you know how far 30 ft is???

I would very much like to make some friends on this thread to "buddy up" with while doing this woe. I look forward to working together to being a cheerful giver . . . . giving this weight away. Anybody want it??? Here, it is..............

Thanks for listening.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #2  

Talking

Welcome Sunshine. I think it is important to read the book, but it seems to me like there are so many unanswered questions after reading the book. I found the answers to my questions HERE. These ladies are wonderful and know the program forward and backwards. They not only answer my questions, they have wonderful suggestions, and great recipes. (I tried the fudgesicle/peanut butter/Dream Whip recipe last night and thought I'd gone to Heaven!!!)

Whenever I need inspiration I read the message boards, even going back several months. It helps to know that there are other people out there like me.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:14 AM   #3  
Buggin' with Pugs

Welcome Sunshine!!!! Phase 1, though a little strict, will get results. We have a 5lb Challenge in the works, if you are interested. Like Cassidy said, logging on here really helps. Lots of info, support and ideas. The book is important, just remeber this is a new way of LIFE, not a diet.

We look forward to hearing more from you!!!! Let us know what is going on with you!
Old 03-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #4  
Chickpea

Hi! I'm new, too, and just started last Wed. For me variety in foods is important, so I have been spending extra time seeking new recipes, shopping for food, spices, etc. (bigger grocery bill, but not going to restaurants), and cooking. More like experimental cooking! I serve guests what I eat, plus they have been getting rid of my leftover stuff not OP, like potato salad, milk, etc. I find that I must have those between meal snacks like cheese or almonds, or else I feel very hungry. But I don't wake up hungry like I used to. I also read labels, so I have been able to buy prepared guacamole and salsa. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:55 PM   #5  
Southern Belle

Wink Sunday evening

Hello All!

Thanks so very much, Cassidy4, RubensMuse, and Chickpea for your input. I appreciate you taking time to advise me.

Cassidy4~ I got the book and have been reading it off and on all afternoon. Whew! I think you are right, so far they are unanswered questions but I have already gotten a lot from 3fc. Thank God for it! I went to the grocery and stocked up on all the good stuff. I'm gonna plan my menu for the week after I finish posting.

RubensMuse~ I am ready for a new lifestyle or way of life. I'm am very sick of dieting!!! I might just take you up on the 5lb challenge.

Chickpea~Sounds like you are doing well and experimenting with recipes and the different foods is great!!! I've got the nuts and cheese ready for the hunger pains.

I hope you all have a good week. I will start tomorrow as planned. I pray by this time next week to have seen the scales change quite a bit. Toward the LOWER side. Talk atcha later. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:40 PM   #6  

If possible try and exercise with a friend. The time will pass quicker and you will encourage each other to push yourself a little farther. Find an exercise that you enjoy because you will be more likely to stick with it. If you have joint problems try moderate walking, swimming, pilates, yoga, tai chi or aqua aerobics.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:54 PM   #7  

This is the most important thing, in my book:

Eat breakfast early!! That morning dose of protein will set the tone for your entire day.

Cut your emotional ties to food tonight. Just cut the bad foods loose. Give yourself "feedings." I give myself six "feedings" a day and just pretend my body is like a well oiled sports car that needs its high octane feedings.

It works for me to just forget about the food I can't have. I know I can't think about it or I'll obsess. I know I can't taste it or I'll binge. So I just try to forget about it. And this is the best eating plan to do that with. Because you will NOT be hungry!!! hallelujah!

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:21 AM   #8  

Sherry Welcome!! SOunds like you are all set and ready to go. Wishing you much luck and success in this new journey of your life. I too have been feeding myself like 6 times a day and its great cuz you arent so hungry anymore by the end of the day. And I've forced myself to at least eat the most tiny bits for breakfast and a midmorning snack.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:49 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the Beach, Sherry! Yes, it sounds as though that coaching job was a sign from God.
Come and join us on the daily thread.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:10 PM   #10  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Welcome sunshinelady. I would have to agree with Cassidy that you can find so many answers to things right here from people who have been on the diet longer than you. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2004, 08:55 AM   #11  
Southern Belle

Talking Tuesday morning

Good Morning New SB friends!!!!

I would like to thank all of you for the advise and help and look forward to seeing you on the daily thread.

Smartypants~ This site (3fc) has been a blessing to me for several years already. I had to change usernames when I came back this time, cause it didn't recognize me.

Ellis ~ Thanks for inviting me over, I think I will join you. Yes, I have been moving more in the last week than in months.

Lyriclyric ~ Thanks for the sending me the I too will be eating 6 times a day too. I found yesterday that I have to have those other snacks or mini meals to keep my BS from dropping.

Moonmirror ~ Thanks for the advise about eating early. I did wonderful yesterday. Instead of thinking about what I couldn't have, I was saying, wow, look at all this yummy food I get to have. And so much of it. (veggies).

chick_on_the_beach ~ I wish I could find a friend that could keep up with me. I walk so slow that everyone I've tried to walk with leaves me behind. But soon, very soon. Between the walking on the treadmill and coaching, I'm getting quite a bit of exercise and that will help get those lbs off so I can get around a little faster.

Thanks again for all the advise. See you on the daily thread.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #12  

Welcome Sherry!

I can honestly say that I would not have been able to stick with this for three weeks without the support I find here. I check in at least daily even though I have a busy life.

Like you, I am primarily concerned about my health. The excess weight also keeps me from being as active as I would like to be which is a vicious cycle. I know that if I could exercise more I would do better with the weight loss. But, it is coming off! And, as the days get longer, walking in the evening is more of a possibility.

I don't know what you name was before, but I like "sunshine lady" and your avatar.

One thing about SBD and cutting out complex carbs that I have noticed is a decrease in fatigue, particularly an hour after eating. I am sure it was the blood sugar fluctuation.

So, post early and post often. We will be here.
Closed Thread