Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-24-2004, 02:13 AM   #1  
Oooo Silly Me!

Default Food... Tired... Energy?

I was wondering, how many of you, I guess BEFORE you started dieting ran into the problem of feeling tired all the time. I know its something most people feel. but I was wondering how do you stop feeling that way? I know I get enough sleep. I just don't have enough energy to do anything and that gets rather depressing cause I know I have never alwways felt this way.

I haven't really started dieting. I've barely had time to see my fiance and kid with the way school has been going. Now that I'm on break for a whole whopping 9 days, I've been wanting to clean this house up. But I just don't have the energy like I used to. I know I want to start dieting, I've even ordered a scale from one of the advertisers on this board.

I'm not the only one who feels this way, my fiance is feeling sluggish to. My conern is, if I start dieting, how am I going to find the energy to start becoming active. Specially when school starts up again. How long do you feel like this before you actually feel a change in your energy levels. I know it varies, but I would like to know how everyone felt so I can get an idea of wether or not I'm doing something right or feeling right.

Also, everything I thought I knew about dieting, really isn't all that much. I need to learn to eat right and cook right for my family. I mean it's not fair for the kid to have to eat this stuff. Maybe someone can recommend some starting tips and what I should start looking out for as far as what i eat. I've tried cutting back on the portions, that sorta has it's ups and downs. I've tried cutting out beef. I usually only eat chicken anyways, with an occasion burger here and ther *grin*

Any suggestions?

Sue....
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Good Morning Sue Marie

From your post you seem to have a "diet" set state of mind... What I have found that has helped me over the years in to realize that this is a "lifestyle" learn to live with a new set patern of "healthy: rules, clean up your environment first and foremost, get rid of the junk food... "out of sight, out of mind"

Once your environment is cleaned up quite a bit you will feel almost immediate relief, I think, from your fatigue. Eating the proper foods is not easy, mind boggling at first, but one step at a time you will learn and eventually it will be second nature...

The first thing I think is to get ALL processed foods out of your cupboards replace it with unprocessed foods, like oatmeal, fruits, lean meats even a hamburgh is ok, cottage cheese, yogurt, whole wheat breads, pastas, and rice, lots and lots and lots of veggies... Secondly, DON'T starve yourself that is a sure way of getting off track...eat regularly every 2-3 hours a good portion of protein and carbs (rice, ww bread, etc...) and remember veggies are your friend....

I know, I know, you're thinking I'm nuts, well maybe I am, but I guarantee you WILL have more energy if you clean up your food cupboard, and EVERYONE I mean EVERYONE in your life will see your renewed energy....

I'm not saying its easy, it isn't, because bad habits die hard!

Well time for my shower, I must get going to work.... I hope my 2 cents has helped ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:04 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I forgot the other important thing, EXERCISE!~! Just go for a brisk walk if that's all you have time for, since your a student... Once you start you will want to continue

Oh and one more thing... keep posting here, group support is a must....

Later...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Exercise and a good vitamin, water, and healthy food, when you start to lose weight I think you will gain energy, I know I do. Just do the best you can. And take it one step at a time.

As far as your child eating "that" way, I think its great because you are teaching him/her to eat healthy and whats wrong with that ? The way you teach your child to eat NOW will effect him/her for the rest of their lives. Apples are better than cookies and why do you think thats not fare? Is it fare not to be healthy ? You are setting a good example, keep it up. Teach him/her that on occasion its okay to get a treat but it doesn't have to be every day. A glass of whole milk and a piece of fruit, you really can't go wrong.

Hang in there. Its all anyone can do.

Hugs
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #5  

Hey hang in there Sue

For me I have to just do it! If I waited until I felt like it I would never get anything done.......if I am having a down day I ride it out and I don't beat myself up for it......when I feel good I go hard.....have just accepted that is the way I am.

YOU need a few days just for you....imagine having your first 9 days off and you think about cleaning.....I don't blame you for dreading that.....do something for yourself......revitalize yourself, treat yourself to a haircut or a massage or lunch out with a friend.......you may have a whole new approach to things.

I also play games with myself.....I bribe myself.......call me crazy.........I say if I get all the bathrooms cleaned, or the laundry done, or something I need to do I reward myself with an afternoon off to go for coffee with a friend or reading books with my kid in my bed.......

Keep us posted and let us know how things are going!

Liz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:31 AM   #6  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello Ladies, I figured I would reply to everyone in one msg...

Lanaii1:
Processed Foods. Well that's definately a start! I know stuff like TV dinners and so forth are no good. What exactly does one look for to know it's processed? I know nothing about food, just that I cook and need this and that. I don't really look at anything else really. I read the atkins book and it said not to go more than 5 hours without eating so when I'm in class for 8 hours a day and spending whatever is left in the library I be sure to pack snacks like granola bars and breakfast bars and such. I even had my fiance deliver my study group Togo's sandwhichs to the study rooms *grins* (hope no one here works at that library hehehe). I definately get a lot of walking in that's for sure. Which is why I come home and just plop on the couch.

Leena:
Yes, I just picked up some WOman's 1-a-day vitamins. Ick, I hate taking pills heh. I need to find something that I can sprinkle on my food or something in my drink hehehehe! Oh which reminds me...

Have any of you ladies tried that Nourishe drink from umm I think it's yoplait?

Okie, back on track hehehe... the kid eats healthy,I think she's a semi vegetarian, loves my chicken tho. She says it's not fair that we make her eat diet food cause she doesn't need to diet. So the all i have to do is mention to my Fiance, "we gotta eat healthier" she starts going into that "that's not fair" routine Which is funny because she loves my chicken, and that's one of my "Healthy dishes" that I took from my Better Homes and Gardens Healthy Cooking CD.

I guess the hard part is learning what to look for in foods and products. I know fresh is best, but sometimes it's not that easy. I should get that Dr. Phil Book and see what he's got to say. I hear it's pretty good reading.

Ooh also, a question about whole milk. I noticed you mentioned that. I just recently got my family to switch to that umm 2% milk. Is whole milk actually better?

Liz321:
Hi there, oh boy "me" time. Thats a hard one hehehe. The only "Me" time I get right now is when I post on the website. I don't even get much time to log on anymore. With school taking up a big portion of my time, I just got called in by one of the school districts for an Instructional assistant job, so that's going to take up even MORE time hehehe. Think I'll go loopy? I
am in the process of trying to plan our next vacation to. What really sucks is, my daughter is on track school, so when I'm off term, she's in school, and when my term is going, she's out of school. It's gonna make vacation planning a real bear. Not to mention, a few of us from class are going to go out to Laughlin and cruise the river on their boat and do some quad racing. I'm a big chicken of the water, but its not that bad there. I've actually taking a tour of the river when I was out there with a friend of mine a while back. I guess thats some good "me" time. Just to bad it's not happening soon enough hehehe.

Thanks for the replies ladies! I really appreciate it!

Sue...
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:59 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Hi Sue Marie--

I agree with the other girls, you need some "me" time for sure... Be SELFISH and take an hour (or more if you can) a day for just YOU! TELL everyone, and no matter what they say, DO IT!

Unprocessed foods is EVERYTHING made by mother nature! Read the labels if it has words you can't pronounce don't eat it... or sugar, fructose, sucrose, and anything ending with "ose" it's sugar... Try to eliminate all sugar from your lifestyle for a while and see how you feel...I can guarantee you WILL feel better!

As for your D, healthy foods don't have to be blah at all... You say your chicken is healthy and she likes it, it's on that CD, well there must be other recipes on there that are good. Just don't tell them it's good... Just put it in front of them without a word. I have two teenagers too and I know what you mean, but YOU are their only example at the moment and they need you. My 13 yr old D complained to her cousin once that she didn't like brussel sprouts and my nephew said, that it was ok that sooner or later she will when she gets older. He's 27 now... And they will, honest cause that 27 yr old HATED vegies when he was young!

Ditch the whole milk, go to 2% gradually then 1%, then to skim... I know my kids have been on skim since 3 and if they are served whole milk, like in a restaurant, they think it's bad...

It's all in the mind really. Keep a journal too and write your feelings down and everything you eat... It's surprising how much you do eat... I log my food on Fitday.com, see my signature and you can look at everything I ate for the day, or go back and see what i've eaten the days before...

Dr. Phil I've heard is an excellent book, and he doesn't mince words, just like his show... I do like the no nonsence of the guy! Altho some I'm sure think he's rude, I don't...

Just one last thing for the moment, Vitamins are not "pills" per say, they are vitamins and are good for you... I take Vit C, E, Calcium/Magnesium every single day...

Anywhoo, gotta go...

Later!

Last edited by Lanaii1; 03-25-2004 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:49 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

SueMarie, good plan.

You might want to change your vocabulary around the house and not use that nasty 4 letter word around your little one "DIET" instead just say we are eating healthy and making better choices.

I see no problem w/giving her what ever she wants, like your chicken but you need to balance it out with healthy veggies, fruits and grains.

My mom watches my daughter and my mom will make anyone 300 lbs, she is just that way, feed feed feed. So many fights later w/her to please feed my little one like a little one instead of a 25 year old man, I carefully try to watch what I give her at dinner and on the weekends. I've switched from whole milk to 1%, I give her caramel rice cakes for a treat and a very light dinner at night b/c I don't know how much my mom has packed into her during the day. One thing I don't do is say to my dd who's 2 1/2 but as smart as a 20 year old lol is I'm cutting down w/her foods or its Diet. I just give it to her.

Just gotta think a little harder on how to present foods to kids.

HUGS!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote