South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:34 PM   #1  
RNMOM

Default I'm still stalled....do I go back to Phase 1?

I'm starting to get a little discouraged with myself. I can't figure out why I'm so stuck right now? I do not go off program! I'm amazed at that. I am so careful about portions, sugar, carbs all that jazz. I've read the book and the guide twice and refer to both all the time. I feel that it's a smart way to do things. I haven't moved on the scale for 3 weeks! That's so discouraging for me, especially when I feel that I'm really strict. I work out 4 times a week and do weights as well. I was so excited with all of it at first, but I need to be rewarded by the scales.

I've done SBD since the end of January. I'd lost 10 pounds in Oct/Nov with Dr. Phil and then this. Total loss is 29.5 pounds. Ya, that's good, but I'm only halfway there. What's with the stall?????? I don't do a lot of carbs, I haven't eaten too much bread-maybe 5 slices in the last 6 weeks.

Ideas anyone?

Do I go back to Phase 1?

Thanks for all your help, you are all pretty dang funny.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #2  

Maybe you are having too many carbs. My understanding of the book is that you should add just enough that you are still losing 1-2 pounds a week. I would try going back to Phase 1 for a few days then introduce one thing. If you are only losing 1-2 pounds a week then stay with that. I am doing a phase 1.5 cause I stall whenever I add any starchy food. Fruit yogurt is okay for me and the occasional bit of fruit but one slice of bread or bit of rice and it is all over. Don't know why this is but I want to lose the weight BEFORE I stall.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:56 AM   #3  

I agree with Chick, and I think going back to Phase 1 for a time might kick start you out of that stall. At least, that's what seems to work for me sometimes.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I was stalled for more than 2 weeks, and really got depressed. I felt a little better after finding thru the forum that it happens to a lot of us. Finally I saw a 4 lb. loss, so stay with it. With your exercise program you're turning fat into muscle, which weighs more, so that could be one of the reasons. You're body may just be making adjustments. Remember to take measurements-that's where you'll see a real difference! Good luck!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #5  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Talking muscle vs. fat

I agree with cottage in that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are doing regular weight training, then it's enevitable that you will seemingly stall when in fact you could still be losing fat, but are now gaining muscle mass. Try not to let the scale be your reward, rather let the way your clothes fit or what the tape measure says be your guide.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:38 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

I'm on a long stall as well. My husband is doing this with me, and he also hasn't lost any weight recently. (He has very little to lose, so that is part of it) I am going back to 'almost' Phase 1 and work my way back out, but more slowly. I suppose I added in too many carbs and got carried away. Like the others suggested, I am not paying too much attention to the scale. Just back up, and hang in there.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:01 AM   #7  
I got Madonna tickets!

RNMom, (et al)

In any weight loss, there are periods of plateau. It's totally normal, though very frustrating. You say you have lost 29.5 pounds, that's a lot!!!!! Your body might just be settling in, and if you keep going, you will start to lose again. Don't let it discourage you...

The magazines say that when this happens you should shake up your routine in some manner...do a different kind of exercise, even take an extra exercise day off during the plateau. I don't know if it's something you can do...just throwing it in there.

Just stay with it! You are doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:34 PM   #8  
Love the Beach

What if you're stalled in PHASE I???? Just completed my second week and lost 2 pounds 1st week and the scale is UP .2 of a pound today!!! I've stuck with the plan completely EXCEPT for too many nuts. I did Atkins last fall, and lost 6 pounds the first week and was able to keep it off until Christmas when I fell off wagon a lot, now cannot get back down to that point no matter what!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #9  

I find that if I skip meals or snacks, don't drink masses of water or eat starchy or sweet foods that I stall. Are you eating lots of vegies? Dr A recommends about 1/2 cup with breakfast and 2 cups each with lunch and dinner. You can have extra vegies with your snacks too. I also find that high protein snacks and deserts are essential (cheese, yogurt, nuts, sugar free deserts).

Maybe you should post your menus. Sometimes weight loss stalling is because you are too low in calories.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:59 PM   #10  
RNMOM

Default Shaking up my routine

Good idea. It's so much easier for me to eat and do the same things over and over. I pack my lunch for work, I'm at work by 0600 and work 12 long hours. If I don't have my lunch packed I'm too afraid of the damage I could do in the hospital cafeteria. Unlike the myth that hospital food is yukky....this hospital prides itself in their delicious food and it is. They make the most amazing lemon bars, fruit pizza, chocolate peanut butter oatmeal thing.........................STOP. Oh, Take a deep breath, need to detoxify

Anyway, I get up at 4:30 in the mornings to ride the bike or walk up a pretty tough three mile hill. I eat the same stuff...I may need to shake things up. I'm usually so tired that it's easier not to think, just be a robot and do.

Thanks for the ideas
Old 03-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #11  

Hi RNmom,
I'm an RN too Just a few things that might be helping me that I don't know if you've tried (though I realize what's really helping me is being new to phase one so my body hasn't stalled yet)

I make a big effort not to eat after dinner. Around six pm or so, I stop eating completely for the evening so that my stomach is growling by the time I go to bed. I figure that means I'm burning calories at bedtime. I drink mineral water and herbal tea to get through the evening.

I exercise moderately so my muscles don't swell up too much...every other day mostly.

I haven't added back any fruits, carbs, sugars, sugarfree products, diet drinks, etc. I stick to protein, veggies, nuts, and two glasses of nonfat milk. That's pretty much it. Diet products can make you retain water.

Eat animal protein the second you wake up. Two eggs for me every am no matter how early before coffee. It kick starts me. Otherwise everything gets out of whack for me. Everyone's different...but I suspect eating breakfast is a major factor.

Good luck RNmom. I know how hard your job is. Bring breakfast to work!!
Closed Thread