Support Groups - Inspiration

View Full Version : Inspiration

FrouFrou
03-20-2004, 12:12 AM
I thought since we have a thread called Laugh Lines we should have a thread for inspiration, whether it is a quote, a prayer, a story or about weight loss. Anything that would be nice to share and possibly inspire us to either lose weight, be a better person, feel good about ourselves, etc. I will start us off with something I had posted back in August on my (3FC) online journal that I don't frequent. Anyway, enjoy and feel free to share.:)

FrouFrou
03-20-2004, 12:15 AM
that someone has to throw a brick at you to get your attention! A young and successful executive was traveling down a neighborhood street, going a bit too fast in his new Jaguar. He was watching for kids darting out from between parked cars and slowed down when he thought he saw something. As his car passed, no children appeared. Instead, a brick smashed into the Jag's side door! He slammed on the brakes and backed the Jag back to the spot where the brick had been thrown. The angry driver then jumped out of the car, grabbed the nearest kid and pushed him up against a parked car shouting, "What was that all about and who are you? Just what the heck are you doing? That's a new car and that brick you threw is going to cost a lot of money. Why did you do it?" The young boy was apologetic. "Please, mister...please, I'm sorry but I didn't know what else to do," He pleaded. "I threw the brick because no one else would stop..." With tears dripping down his face and off his chin, the youth pointed to a spot just around a parked car. "It's my brother," he said. "He rolled off the curb and fell out of his wheelchair and I can't lift him up." Now sobbing, the boy asked the stunned executive, "Would you please help me get him back into his wheelchair? He's hurt and he's too heavy for me." Moved beyond words, the driver tried to swallow the rapidly swelling lump in his throat. He hurriedly lifted the handicapped boy back into the wheelchair, then took out a linen handkerchief and dabbed at the fresh scrapes and cuts. A quick look told him everything was going to be okay. "Thank you and may God bless you," the grateful child told the stranger. Too shook up for words, the man simply watched the boy push his wheelchair-bound brother down the sidewalk toward their home It was a long, slow walk back to the Jaguar. The damage was very noticeable, but the driver never bothered to repair the dented side door. He kept the dent there to remind him of this message "Don't go through life so fast that someone has to throw a brick at you to get your attention!"

God whispers in our souls and speaks to our hearts. Sometimes when we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at us. It's our choice to listen or not.

Thought for the Day: >>If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it. If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it. He sends you flowers every spring. He sends you a sunrise every morning. Face it, friend - He is crazy about you! God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.

Read this line very slowly and let it sink in... If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Marti
03-20-2004, 04:14 AM
A man was walking down a deserted Mexican beach at sunset. As he walked along he began to see another man in the distance.

As he grew nearer he noticed that the local native kept leaning down, picking something up, and throwing it out into the water. Time and again he kept hurling things out into the ocean.

As our friend approached even closer he noticed that the man was picking up starfish that had washed up onto the beach, and one at a time, he was throwing them back into the ocean.

The first man was puzzled. He approached the man and said, "Good Evening Friend, I was wondering what are you doing?" And he replied, "I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see, it's low tide right now and all these starfish have been washed up onto the shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they will die from the lack of oxygen."

"I understand," my friend replied "but there must be thousands of starfish on this beach and you couldn't possibly get to all of them. There are simply too many and don't you realize that this is happening on hundreds of beaches up and down this coast ... can't you see that that you can't possibly make a difference?

The local native smiled, bent down, picked up yet another starfish ... and as he threw it back out into the sea, he replied, "It made a difference to that one!"

You may feel like you cannot make a difference in the world today, but you CAN make a difference in one life at a time.

Marti
03-20-2004, 04:14 AM
A young man was getting ready to graduate from college.

For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealer's showroom, and knowing his father could well afford it, he told him that was all he wanted.

As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs that his father had purchased the car.

Finally, on the morning of his graduation his father called him into his private study. His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son, and told him how much he loved him. He handed his son a beautifully wrapped gift box. Curious, but somewhat disappointed the young man opened the box and found a lovely, leather-bound Bible.

Angrily, he raised his voice at his father and said, "With all your money, you give me a Bible?" and stormed out of the house, leaving the holy book.

Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He had a beautiful home and wonderful family, but realized his father was very old, and thought perhaps he should go to him.

He had not seen him since that graduation day. Before he could make arrangements, he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away, and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.

When he arrived at his father's house, sudden sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search his father's important papers and saw the still new Bible, just as he had left it years ago. With tears, he opened the Bible, and began to turn the pages.

As he read those words, a car key dropped from an envelope taped behind the Bible. It had a tag with the dealer's name, the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag was the date of his graduation, and the words ... PAID IN FULL.

How many times do we miss God's blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?

FrouFrou
03-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Attitude isn't simply a state of mind...it is also a reflection of what we value.

Attitude is more than just saying "I can", it is believing you can.

It requires believing before seeing, because seeing is based on circumstances; believing is based on faith.

Attitude is so contagious, especially when we allow it to turn our doubts of the past into passions of today and set the stage for our tomorrows.

We have total ownership of our attitude. No one else has the power to alter our attitudes without our permission.

Our attitude allows us to become more empowering than money, to rise above our failures, and to accept others for who they are and what they say. It is more important than giftedness, and is the forerunner of all skills needed for happiness and success.

Our attitudes can be used to build us up or put us down--The CHOICE is OURS.

It also gives us the wisdom to know that we cannot change events of the past.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 99% how I respond to it...

And it is with this state of mind that I remain in charge of my attitude.

~Rich Wilkins

FrouFrou
03-23-2004, 11:18 AM
When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
When you want to give up just because you gave in,
And forgot all about being healthy and thin.
So what! You went over your points a bit,
It's your next move that counts...So DON'T quit!
It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
It's learning the skills to get back to your range.
It's telling yourself, "you've done great up till now.
You can take on tis challenge and best it somehow."
It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
To stumble and fall is not a disgrace.
If you summon the will to get back in the race.
But, often the strugglers, when lsoing their grip,
Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
And learn too late when the damage is done,
That the race wasn't over and they still could have won.
Life-style change can be awkward and slow,
But facing each challenge will help you to grow.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint in the cloud of doubt.
When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit.
If you bite it, write it...But DON'T YOU QUIT!!

I don't know who wrote this or where I even found it, but I have it in my journal and it helps me when I am doubting myself and wanting to quit.

Marti
03-23-2004, 08:11 PM
"Good friends are like stars ... you don't always see them, but you know they're always there."

Author Unknown

You are all my good friends........

Mom2Gaby
03-26-2004, 01:40 PM
An Affirmation
The Ultimate Weight Solution- Dr. Phil McGraw

It feels good to be in control. When I get up in the morning, I am excited about the day.No longer ashamed of my reflection in the mirror,I like what I see and I am proud of who I am.I've found the discipline to eat according to my needs rather than be driven by self-destrcutive habits,impules,or diets. Able to face the day without overeating, I no longer allow habit and cues to dictate my life. I have a rock solid foundation for my new eating habits that cannot be destroyed. I live more fully now that my body is functioning better,and I am free to forget about food and get on with living.Gone are my old excesses, and I now have time to use for productive,enjoyable activities. Whether learning a new sport, reading a book, or writing a poem, I enjoy it more because I am not overeating. I have discovered skills I didn't think I had.I have the confidence to get involved in new persuits,take a course,or change my profession. When I walk into a room, people are cheering for me because they have known and shared my struggle. I'm asked what I have done to look so great.I finally feel good in my clothes- no more pants that won't fasten across my stomach and no more outfits intended to hide my fatness.As my body gets thinner,healthier,and more athletic,I experience it with greater awareness and pleasure.I have gained new satisfaction and self-respect in whatever I choose to do.I know life won't be a bed of roses in the future any more than it is today,but I know how to deal with difficulties. I know how to handle life with greater maturity.I know how to cope with life in positive ways without escaping into food.I am no longer going in circles, but moving forward with tremendous clarity about why I am in this world and what I am supposed to do while I am here. There is adventure in my day and joy in my heart.
I have learned to live a life of meaning and significance.

FrouFrou
04-07-2004, 03:24 PM
A smile costs nothing, but gives much.

It enriches those who receive, without making poorer those who give.

It takes but a moment, but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he can get along without it, and none is so poor but that he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in business, and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary, cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad, and it is nature's best anitdote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is of no value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.

Give them one of yours, as no one needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give.

~unknown

FrouFrou
04-07-2004, 03:37 PM
The greatest handicap: Fear

The best day: TODAY

Easiest thing to do: Find a fault

Most useless asset: Pride

The greatest mistake: Giving up

Greatest stumbling block: Egotism

Most disagreeable person: The complainer

Worst bankruptcy: Loss of enthusiasm

Greatest need: Common sense

Meanest feeling: Regret at another's success

Best gift: Forgiveness

The greatest moment: Death

Greatest knowledge: God

The greatest thing in the world: Love

FrouFrou
04-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Your presence is a present to the world.
You are unique and one of a kind.
Your life can be what you want it to be.
Take the days just one at a time.

Count your blessings, not your troubles.
You will make it through whatever comes along.
Within you are so many answers.
Understand, have courage, be strong.

Do not put limits on yourself.
So many dreams are waiting to be realized.
Decisions are too important to leave to chance.
Reach for your peak, your goal and your prize.

Nothing wastes more energy than worrying.
The longer one carries a problem the heavier it gets.
Do not take things too seriously.
Live a life of serenity, not a life of regrets.

Remember that a little love goes a long way.
Remember that a lot...goes forever.
Remember that friendship is a wise investment.
Life's treasure are people together.

Realize that it is never too late.
Do ordinary things in an extraordinary way.
Have heart, hope and happiness.
Take the time to wish upon a star.

And DO NOT EVER FORGET
FOR EVEN A DAY
HOW VERY SPECIAL YOU ARE!

~Bill Greer, Chicken Soup for the Veteran's Soul

Marti
04-14-2004, 08:11 PM
A sobbing little girl stood near a small church from which she had been turned away because it "was too crowded."

"I can't go to Sunday School," she sobbed to the pastor as he walked by. Seeing her shabby, unkempt appearance, the pastor guessed the reason and, taking her by the hand, took her inside and found a place for her in the Sunday school class.

The child was so touched that she went to bed that night thinking of the children who have no place to worship Jesus. Some two years later, this child lay dead in one of the poor tenement buildings and the parents called for the kind-hearted pastor, who had befriended their daughter, to handle the final arrangements.

As her poor little body was being moved, a worn and crumpled purse was found which seemed to have been rummaged from some trash dump. Inside was found 57 cents and a note scribbled in childish handwriting which read, "This is to help build the little church bigger so more children can go to Sunday School." For two years she had saved for this offering of love. When the pastor tearfully read that note, he knew instantly what he would do.

Carrying this note and the cracked pocketbook to the pulpit, he told the story of her unselfish love and devotion. He challenged his deacons to get busy and raise enough money for the larger building. But the story does not end there!

A newspaper learned of the story and published it. It was read by a Realtor who offered them a parcel of land worth many thousands. When told that the church could not pay so much, he offered it for 57 cents. Church members made large donations. Checks came from far and wide. Within five years the little girl's gift had increased to $250,000.00 -- a huge sum for that time (near the turn of the century). Her unselfish love had paid large dividend.

When you are in the city of Philadelphia, look up Temple Baptist Church, with a seating capacity of 3,300 and Temple University, where hundreds of students are trained. Have a look, too, at the Good Samaritan Hospital and at a Sunday School building which houses hundreds of Sunday Schoolers, so that no child in the area will ever need to be left outside during Sunday school time.

In one of the rooms of this building may be seen the picture of the sweet face of the little girl whose 57 cents, so sacrificially saved, made such remarkable history. Alongside of it is a portrait of her kind pastor, Dr. Russell H. Conwell, author of the book, "Acres of Diamonds" A true story, which goes to show what God can do with 57 cents.

Author Unknown

FrouFrou
04-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Planting Directions

Plant the seeds of a happy marriage garden in careful tender rows,
between hugs and commitment, with unconditional love.
Feed with gentle word, and a playful touch.

Cultivate kindness, acceptance, respect.
Sprinkle with secret whispers and private smiles.
Sow between forgive, forget-me-nots, and forget.

Leave plenty of space for individual growth, communicate every day.
Transplant tired flowers with passion and surprise.

Scatter "I Love You" a hundred different ways.
Nuture deep-rooted intimacy, affection and joy.
Weed out secrets, prune away anger and fear.

Celebrate annually all the special days you share.
Your marriage garden will blossom everlasting, year after year.

Not sure if this actually fits in with the "inspirational" category but thought it was nice. :)

FrouFrou
06-27-2004, 06:44 PM
One seed at a time and the garden grows
One drop at a time and the river flows
One word at a time and the book is read
One stroke at a time and the paint is spread
One chip at a time and the statue's unveiled
One step at a time and the mountain is scaled
One thing at a time and that done well
Is the only sure way to succeed and excel
You can write, you can paint, you can sculpt or climb
You can do it by taking one step at a time
~Unknown

FrouFrou
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
So many people try to hide their pain,
pretending that if they don't talk about their worries and fears then they don't really exist.
There are people who smile on the outside,
making light and carefree conversations to prevent their intimate emotions from being exposed.
Their personal doubts and insecurities travel univited across their minds,
haunting them in the daylight and tormenting them in the night.
It is a terrible burden to bear to always question yourself and feel as if no one understands you.
Let your self-doubts vanish into the shadows;
show your true spirit to everyone you meet.
All people must travel through life not as alone, but as a caravan of people who will each experience their own set of circumstances.
Your life is everything that encircles you,
and it's important not to judge yourself critically
but to understand yourself,
not to restrict your emotions
but to express them,
not to limit yourself
but to search out every new horizon.
There are too many people trying to be somebody else.
Isn't it time to be who you are,
and isn't it time to feel good about yourself?

~~From the book Is It Time to Make a Change by Deanna Beisser

FrouFrou
07-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Wake up every morning and feel thankful for a new day!
Don't waste it by backtracking too far into yesterday
or reaching too far into tomorrow.
Time is a gift that we all sometimes let slip away-
we forget how important it is to enjoy our lives
and to help others enjoy theirs.
If you need to make changes in your life,
make them;
create a lifestyle that makes you feel complete.
Life is all around you;
the gift of time allows you endless possibilities.
Keep moving forward,
and try to make every day your best day.

~~ From the book Is It Time to Make a Change by Deanna Beisser

FrouFrou
07-27-2004, 04:39 PM
There are two ways of spreading light:
to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
--Edith Wharton

Instead of thinking about where you are,
think about where you want to be.
It takes twenty years of hard work to become an overnight success.
--Diana Rankin

Better keep yourself clean and bright;
you are the window through which you must see the world.
--George Bernard Shaw

Yesterday I dared to struggle.
Today I dare to win.
--Bernadette Devlin

Fall seven times,
stand up eight.
--Japanese Proverb

Marti
08-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Thank you for the little things
That fill my heart with hope.
For thinking of these little things
Sure seems to change the scope...

Budding flowers, seedling trees,
A warm afternoon and a cool summer breeze;

The lady bug, the butterfly
Big puffy clouds in a baby blue sky;

The clover patch, the honey bee,
A Sunday brunch or afternoon tea;

The sparkle of a midnight star,
And wishing on it from afar;

The calming effect of an evening rain,
As it taps against the window pane.

For all these things I can't complain!

So, when my life seems rough to me
I think of all your kindness brings,
And I find my sprits lifted up,
For you truly give my soul it's wings.

SqueakMouse
08-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Friendship Quotes

Value friendship for what there is in it,
not for what can be gotten out of it.
H. Clay Trumbull

Friends are like melons. Shall I tell you why?
To find a good one, you must a hundred try.
Claude Mermet

One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many;
three are hardly possible.
Henry Adams

A friend is, as it were, a second self.
Cicero

Friendship needs no words--it is solitude delivered from the anguish of loneliness.
Dag Hammarskjold

A friend is one who dislikes the same people you dislike.
Unknown

We should behave to our friends as we would wish our friends behave to us.
Aristotle

Have friends. 'Tis a second existence.
Baltasar Gracian

I keep my friends as misers do their treasure,
because, of all the things granted us by wisdom,
none is greater or better than friendship.
Pietro Aretino

You will make more friends in a week by getting yourself interested in other people than you can in a year by trying to get people interested in you.
Arnold Bennett

Wishing to be friends is quick work,
but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.
Aristotle

Friendship makes prosperity more brilliant,
and lightens adversity by dividing and sharing it.
Cicero

Hold a true friend with both your hands.
Nigerian Proverb

The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right.
Mart Twain

Go often to the house of thy friend,
for weeds choke the unused path.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jane
12-07-2004, 10:38 AM
With the new year right around the corner, when people are thinking "healthy" again, I thought it might be a good idea to share this:

THE SERENITY PRAYER

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

the courage to change the things I can,

and the wisdom to know the difference.

`

PamPSM644
12-23-2004, 02:43 PM
This is how and why I got inspired last Aug to lose weight. I told this story on the 100's thread but maybe it's worth repeating here. My sister has been a meth addict for probably 20 yrs. She has terminal cervical cancer which is highly curable when caught early but she was so busy selling and using meth she wouldnt get treatment.She can't walk more then a few steps due to an arthritic hip but was denied replacement surgery because of drug use.Her face is covered most all the time by scabs and sores from picking at it.(Speedbugs)Her only friend is her dealer and none of her 3 children want anything to do with her. I do her shopping and pay her bills but because addicts are so manipulative and consumed with themselves I've learned the hard way that I have to keep my distance.One day last Aug I delivered her meds and was particularly replused by what I saw. Her face was a mess ,her arms scared from needle marks and her speech so slurred I had trouble understanding anything she said. I got away from her as fast as I could . It is painfull to see someone you love who had so much promise become a repulsive shell of who they were.Even after I got home I couldn't shake off what I'd seen.It haunted me. Then,like being struck by a bolt of lightening,I realized that she and I had more incommon then differances.I had made food my drug of choise.I was useing it much the same as she was meth. It was destroying my life and health.I could hardly walk ,my heart was heading to high blood pressure, I was restricked to where I could go and what I could do.How was I any better then she was?How could I be angry at her and not more so with myself?I got mad. Real Mad Dog mad.I resolved right then that I wouldn't let food dominate my life any longer and I've been dieting ever sence.I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle. Like I've been asleep or in limbo. I've lost 60lbs and though I still have more to go I have a new zest for life.I can walk again and my blood pressure is good.I am doing things I didn't think I could do and the world is suddenly full of posiblities. :D

FrouFrou
12-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Pam~thank you for sharing that with us! Very inspirational! :thanks: Sorry to hear about your sister tho, I know how hard it is as I have two sisters who aren't into the drugs and alcohol that bad they are still into it. My oldest sis is worse off and it kills me to see her one reason I have stayed away so long. It is hard to see a loved one do that to themselves. I just thank god every day that she actually has a house paid for and has money coming in even tho by months end my dad has to take food to her because she has depleted her funds on booze. I guess I never looked at food as being a drug but have looked at it as being addicted to it. You are right tho it is the same thing. Anyway...thanks again for sharing.

FrouFrou
01-01-2005, 06:05 PM
I saw this in the paper today in the Dear Abby column and thought I would share. Even going to type it up on a nice piece of paper and print it out to read over and over.

Dear Readers: Rise and shine, and welcome to 2005! This is our chance for a new beginning, the day we discard destructive habits for healthy ones. With that in mind, I'm printing Dear Abby's oft-requested list of New Years Resolutions-adapted by my mother from the original credo of Al-Anon.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentrations. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anyone but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I am a smoker, I'll quit. If I'm overweight, I'll eat healthily-if only just for today. And not only thath, I'll get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

FrouFrou
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Jason's Triumph

By Jim Bedard

Jason, our first child, had a traumatic birth and was born with cerebral palsy. Although he did not walk until well after he was two years of age, his condition was relatively mild and with plenty of physiotherapy he managed quite well. My wife Margaret and I often comforted him (and each other) as he faced numerous challenges in the early years of his life.
It was heartbreaking to see him regularly chosen last for a baseball team when school children were organizing a game. He never did learn how to ice skate despite a very determined effort and lots of coaching and support from us. It took him forever to learn to ride a bike, and his knees and elbows were tortured in the process. Just the same, he was a happy child and was well liked by his peers throughout elementary school. The most difficult time for Jason came when he began high school.

One afternoon, my wife and I were sitting at our kitchen table when Jason entered our home in tears. He threw his school bag on the floor, undressed to his underwear, and crying he shouted "Iím never going to school again!" His hair was matted from lunch food and juice that other kids had assaulted him with on the school bus on the way home. We had to wait several hours before he could talk about what had transpired.

A few days earlier, Jason told us he was signing up for the cross-country track and field team at his school. He figured what he lacked in speed, he could make up with endurance. Margaret and I prepared ourselves for an emotional challenge. Nonetheless, as always, we encouraged him to "go for it."

Jasonís balance has always been poor, and he was also the slowest runner at the track. Other runners noticed Jasonís poor gait and would knock him off balance as they lapped him on the track. A simple nudge would send him flying to the dirt. To the amusement of some, he was forced to get up several times over the next few days. But Jason has never been a quitter.

The day of the bus incident, a few older students had continued to entertain themselves by further humiliating Jason. They teased him about his poor performance on the track and made him the target of their one-sided food fight.

After hearing the whole story from Jason, I told him I was going to his school the next day to have a heart-to-heart talk with those kids and inform the principal. He pleaded with me not to. He said it would only make matters worse for him to have his father get involved. He begged me to let him handle it. I told him I would not visit the school as long as he agreed to let me call the vice principal regarding the incident on the bus. He finally agreed. I knew he went to bed that night feeling like he didnít have a friend in the world.

I called the vice principal about the humiliation on the bus, and it was never repeated. Jason stayed with track and field even though the harassment at the track continued.

One day early that October, we had unexpected snow and freezing rain. The track team was allowed to train indoors that day. Jason asked the coach if he could borrow his stopwatch. He wanted to try and improve his time on the track. As the other kids exercised in the gym, they couldn't help but notice the one lone runner--Jason--plodding through sleet on the snow-covered track.

The next week, the weather returned to normal, and outdoor training resumed. The harassment, however, did not. Each time a member of the track team would pass Jason, he would offer a few words of encouragement.

"Keep going, Jay."

"Donít give up, Jason."

"You can do it, Jay."

He had earned their respect.

A few weeks later, Jason came in from school noticeably agitated.

"Mom, Dad, sit down," he said.

My heart sank. It had the echo of the food-pelting incident.

He told us something we already knew, that each month students at his high school voted for an "athlete of the month." The coach would list on the chalkboard the names of students who had the best long jump, most points in basketball, and best track times. Then they would hold a vote, and one student would be presented with a certificate and earn the title "athlete of the month." Jasonís name was not on the board that dayó-or any other day for that matter. He was last in every activity listed.

But something different happened that day. One of the nominees, who happened to be leading in almost every category, stood up and said, "Sir I would like to nominate Jason for athlete of the month."

The coach, caught by surprise for a moment, looked toward the list of names on the board.

"Jason?" He asked with a puzzled look on his face, as though he couldn't quite place the name. "Oh...Jason."

"He works harder than any of us, Sir," the student continued.

"Well," added the coach, "we will have to have someone second the nomination."

A tear formed in Jasonís eye and began to roll down his cheek as he told us what happened next. "Mom...Dad...everyone in the class put their hand up."

His mother and I, also in tears, looked on as he proudly displayed his certificate.

Whenever I despair, I think of this story. I remind myself that challenges are not overcome by force or by asserting the self, but rather by patient persistence, determination, and a sincere faith in the innate goodness of others.

Jason is in his fourth year of university these days and often holds the highest mark in his class. He works as a teacherís assistant and plans to go on for his masters. He is also training in the martial arts. Although it seems to be taking him forever to earn his black belt, I have no doubt he'll wear it, and wear it proudly.

FrouFrou
02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Life's Little Reminders

1. An apology is a good way to have the last word.

2. Pick your friends, but not to pieces.

3. Life is like a mirror, we get the best results when we smile at it.

4. Usually people are as happy as they make their minds up to be.

5. You cannot leave footprints in the sands of time while sitting down.

6. You will never offend a person by returning a smile.

7. Gentle words fall lightly, bu have great weight.

8. Anybody who thinks talk is cheap never argued with a traffic cop.

tlprocks
03-24-2005, 06:12 PM
http://ca.msnusers.com/e2l8ni13pbjaqgerg6g09e65j0/Documents/Pictures%2Fppollen.gifHere are a few little http://ca.msnusers.com/e2l8ni13pbjaqgerg6g09e65j0/Documents/Pictures%2Fppollen.gif
quotes I have found

Marvin Phillips: The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!

Author unknown: The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.

"Do you live in tomorrow when you must face today? At times, I forget to live in the moment, but what do I miss? The setting sun, the sound of birds' singing and, most importantly, I miss meeting myself. I am constantly changing, and if I don't spend time with myself in the here and now, I will never get to appreciate who I truly am because I am too busy focusing on who I want to be."
~Gary Barnes

"Don't judge those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try."
~unknown

"Heroes are made in the hour of defeat. Success is, therefore, well described as a series of glorious defeats."
~Mohandas K. Gandhi

"We should not let success go to our heads, or our failures go to our hearts."
~unknown

"A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits."
~Richard Nixon

"Above all, challenge yourself. You may be surprised by what you can achieve."
http://ca.msnusers.com/e2l8ni13pbjaqgerg6g09e65j0/Documents/Pictures%2Fsnurra.gif

tlprocks
03-30-2005, 10:25 AM
http://www.funnyfunpages.com/mudpuddles/header.gif

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that
are going to take over my yard. My kids see flowers for Mom and
blowing white fluff you can wish on.

http://www.funnyfunpages.com/mudpuddles/7421221.gif

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly,
dirty person who probably wants money and I look away.
My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't
have much rhythm so I sit self-consciously and listen.
My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words.
If they don't know them, they make up their own.

http://www.funnyfunpages.com/mudpuddles/2235292.gif

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it
messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk. My kids close
their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to
the ground laughing.

http://www.funnyfunpages.com/mudpuddles/15739134.gif

When I pray, I say thee and thou and
grant me this, give me that.
My kids say, "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends.
Please keep the bad dreams away tonight.
Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet.
I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

When I see a mud puddle I step around it. I see muddy shoes and
dirty carpets. My kids sit in it. They see dams
to build, rivers to cross and worms to play with.

http://www.funnyfunpages.com/mudpuddles/1836848.gif

I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to learn from?

No wonder God loves the little children!!
Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may
look back and realize they were the big things."
(author unknown)

http://www.funnyfunpages.com/mudpuddles/20436067.gif

My wish to you....
Mud Puddles and Dandelions
and may God bless
this day for you!

tlprocks
03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Angels of Wisdom

http://www.funnies.com/angelsgodcross/angel_left_md_wht.gif

Don't be so busy adding up your troubles
that you forget to count your blessings.

The smallest deed done is greater
than the best of intentions.

http://www.funnies.com/angelsgodcross/angela_playing_bugle_md_wht.gif
Love is a language that can be
heard by the deaf and seen by the blind.

A house is made of wooden beams.
A home is made of love and dreams.

http://www.funnies.com/angelsgodcross/angela_playing_violin_md_wht.gif
To be a good friend open your ears and heart
more often than your mouth.

People don't care how much you know
until they know how much you care.

http://www.funnies.com/angelsgodcross/angela_hovering_with_pixie_harp_md_wht.gif

tlprocks
03-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Don't Quit

When things go wrong,
as they sometimes will,

When the road you're trudging
seems uphill,

When the funds are low and
the debts are high,

and you want to smile,
but you have to sigh,

When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must . . . but don't you quit.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt.
And you never can tell
how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar.

So, stick to the fight
when you're hardest hit . . .

It's when things go wrong
that you mustn't quit.

FrouFrou
03-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Those are very nice Terri-lee! Thanks for sharing! :thanks: :)

tlprocks
09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
One Flaw in Women

hey girls - this one is for all of you!

One Flaw In Women

By the time the Lord made woman,

He was into his sixth day of working overtime.

An angel appeared and said,

"Why are you spending so much time on this one?"

And the Lord answered, "Have you seen my spec sheet on her?

She has to be completely washable, but not plastic,

have over 200 movable parts, all replaceable

and able to run on diet coke and leftovers,

have a lap that can hold four children at one time,

have a kiss that can cure anything from a scraped knee to a broken heart

-and she will do everything

with only two hands."

The angel was astounded at the requirements.

"Only two hands!? No way!

And that's just on the standard model?

That's too much work for one day.

Wait until tomorrow to finish."

But I won't," the Lord protested.

"I am so close to finishing this creation that is so close to my own heart.

She already heals herself when she is sick

AND can work 18 hour days."

The angel moved closer and touched the woman.

"But you have made her so soft, Lord."

"She is soft," the Lord agreed,

"but I have also made her tough.

You have no idea what she can endure or accomplish."

"Will she be able to think?", asked the angel.

The Lord replied,

"Not only will she be able to think,

she will be able to reason and negotiate."

The angel then noticed something,

and reaching out, touched the woman's cheek.

"Oops, it looks like you have a leak in this model.

I told you that you were trying to put too much into this one."

"That's not a leak,"

the Lord corrected,

"that's a tear!"

"What's the tear for?" the angel asked.

The Lord said, "The tear is her way of expressing her joy,

her sorrow, her pain, her disappointment, her love,

her loneliness, her grief and her pride."

The angel was impressed.

"You are a genius, Lord.

You thought of everything!

Woman is truly amazing."

And she is!

Women have strengths that amaze men.

They bear hardships and they carry burdens,

but they hold happiness,

love and joy.

They smile when they want to scream.

They sing when they want to cry.

They cry when they are happy

and laugh when they are nervous.

They fight for what they believe in.

They stand up to injustice.

They don't take "no" for an answer

when they believe there is a better solution.

They go without so their family can have.

They go to the doctor with a frightened friend.

They love unconditionally.

They cry when their children excel

and cheer when their friends get awards.

They are happy when they hear about

a birth or a wedding.

Their hearts break when a friend dies.

They grieve at the loss of a family member,

yet they are strong when they think there is no strength left.

They know that a hug and a kiss

can heal a broken heart.

Women come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

They'll drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you

to show how much they care about you.

The heart of a woman is what makes the world keep turning.

They bring joy, hope and love.

They have compassion and ideals.

They give moral support to their family and friends.

Women have vital things to say and everything to give.

HOWEVER, IF THERE IS ONE FLAW IN WOMEN,

IT IS THAT THEY FORGET THEIR WORTH.

FrouFrou
10-20-2005, 04:37 PM
KEEP THE FORK

There was a young woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and had been given three months to live. So, as she was getting her things "in order," she contacted her pastor and had him come to her house to discuss certain aspects of her final wishes. She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service, what scriptures she would like read, and what outfit she wanted to be buried in. Everything was in order, and the pastor was preparing to leave, when the young woman suddenly remembered something very important to her.
"There's one more thing," she said excitedly.
"What's that?" came the pastor's reply.

"This is very important," the young woman continued. "I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand."

The pastor stood looking at the young woman, not knowing quite what to say.

"That surprises you, doesn't it?" the young woman asked.

"Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the request," said the pastor.

The young woman explained. "My grandmother once told me this story, and from there on out, I have always done so. I have also always tried to pass along its message to those I love and those who are in need of encouragement. In all my years of attending church socials and potluck dinners, I always remember that when the dishes of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, 'Keep your fork.' It was my favorite part because I knew that something better was coming... like velvety chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie; something wonderful, and with substance!"

"So, I just want people to see me there in that casket with a fork in my hand, and I want them to wonder 'What's with the fork?' Then, I want you to tell them: 'Keep your fork - the best is yet to come.'"

The pastor's eyes welled up with tears of joy as he hugged the young woman goodbye. He knew this would be one of the last times he would see her before her death. But he also knew that the young woman had a better grasp
of heaven than he did. She had a better grasp of what heaven would be like than many people twice her age, with twice as much experience and knowledge. She KNEW that something better was coming.

At the funeral, people were walking by the young woman's casket and they saw the pretty dress she was wearing and the fork placed in her right hand. Over and over, the pastor heard the question "What's with the fork?"
And over and over he smiled.

During his message, the pastor told the people of the conversation he had with the young woman shortly before she died. He also told them about the fork and about what it symbolized to her.

The pastor told the people how he could not stop thinking about the fork and told them that they probably would not be able to stop thinking about it either. He was right.

So, the next time you reach down for your fork, let it remind you ever so gently, that the best is yet to come. Friends are a very rare jewel, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share a word of praise, and they always want to open their hearts to us.

Cherish the time you have, and the memories you share .. being friends with someone is not an opportunity but a sweet responsibility.

And keep your fork!!!!

da fat n da furious
10-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Im a mess,,,raccoon eyes here Cristi. Thank you...I so enjoyed this,,,never seen this before..
Monte's grandmother's funeral service the minister read the Dash...Im going to go hunt it down.

FrouFrou
10-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Angie~I remember The Dash. I had printed it once but not sure what I did with it. I hope you find it! :)

LakeGirl
04-22-2006, 09:16 PM
A Beth Moore story

"Be a Barnabas." >

Beth Moore is a gifted Bible study teacher, writer of Bible Studies, and a married mother of 2 daughters.

This actually happened to her on April 20, 2005 in the Knoxville Airport - (it is worth the read!)

Waiting to board the plane: I had the Bible on my lap and was very intent upon what I was doing. I'd had a marvelous morning with the Lord. I say that because I want to tell you it is a scary thing to have the Spirit of God really working in you. You could end up doing some things you never would have done otherwise Life in the Spirit can be dangerous for a thousand reasons not the least of which is your ego..

I tried to keep from staring but he was such a strange sight. Humped over in a wheelchair, he was skin and bones, dressed in clothes that obviously fit when he was at least twenty pounds heavier. His knees protruded from his trousers, and his shoulders looked like the coat hanger was still in his shirt. His hands looked like tangled masses of veins and bones. The strangest part of him was his hair and nails. Stringy gray hair hung well over his shoulders and down part of his back. His fingernails were long. Clean, but strangely out of place on an old man

I looked down at my Bible as fast as I could, discomfort burning my face as I tried to imagine what his story might have been, I found myself wondering if I'd just had a Howard Hughes sighting. Then, I remembered that he was dead. So this man in the airport... an impersonator maybe? Was a camera on us somewhere?....

There I sat trying to concentrate on the Word to keep from being concerned about a thin slice of humanity served on a wheelchair only a few seats from me. All the while my heart was growing more and more overwhelmed with a feeling for him. Let's admit it. Curiosity is a heap more comfortable than true concern, and suddenly I was awash with aching emotion for this bizarre-looking old man.

I had walked with God long enough to see the handwriting on the wall. I've learned that when I begin to feel what God feels, something so contrary to my natural feelings, something dramatic is bound to happen. And it may be embarrassing. I immediately began to resist because I could feel God working on my spirit and I started arguing with God in my mind.

"Oh no, God please no." I looked up at the ceiling as if I could stare straight through it into heaven and said, "Don't make me witness to this man. Not right here and now. Please. I'll do anything Put me on the same plane, but don't make me get up here and witness to this man in front of this gawking audience. Please, Lord!"...

There I sat in the blue vinyl chair begging His Highness, "Please don't make me witness to this man Not now. I'll do it on the plane."

Then I heard it..."I don't want you to witness to him. I want you to brush his hair." (GULP - my own words!)

The words were so clear, my heart leapt into my throat, and my thoughts spun like a top. Do I witness to the man or brush his hair? No-brainer. I looked straight back up at the ceiling and said, "God, as I live and breathe, I want you to know I am ready to witness to this man. I'm on this Lord. I'm you're girl! You've never seen a woman witness to a man faster in your life. (HA HA - LOL!) What difference does it make if his hair is a mess if he is not redeemed? I am on him. I am going to witness to this man."

Again as clearly as I've ever heard an audible word, God seemed to write this statement across the wall of my mind. "That is not what I said, Beth. I don't want you to witness to him I want you to go brush his hair."

I looked up at God and quipped, "I don't have a hairbrush. It's in my suitcase on the plane. How am I supposed to brush his hair without a hairbrush?"...

God was so insistent that I almost involuntarily began to walk toward him as these thoughts came to me from God's word: "I will thoroughly furnish you unto all good works." (2 Tim 3:17) I stumbled over to the wheelchair thinking I could use one myselfÖ Even as I retell this story my pulse quickens and I feel those same butterflies.

I knelt down in front of the man, and asked as demurely as possible, "Sir, may I have the pleasure of brushing your hair?" He looked back at me and said, "What did you say?"

"May I have the pleasure of brushing your hair? To which he responded in volume ten, "Little lady, if you expect me to hear you, you're going to have to talk louder than that. (God must really laugh out loud at times . . . )At this point, I took a deep breath and blurted out, "SIR, MAY I HAVE THE PLEASURE OF BRUSHING YOUR HAIR?"

At which point every eye in the place darted right at me. I was the only thing in the room looking more peculiar than old Mr. Longlocks. Face crimson and forehead breaking out in a sweat, I watched him look up at me with absolute shock on his face, and say, "If you really want to."

Are you kidding? OF course I didn't want to. But God didn't seem interested in my personal preference right about then. He pressed on my heart until I could utter the words, "Yes, sir, I would be pleased. But I have one little problem. I don't have a hairbrush."

"I have one in my bag," he responded. I went around to the back of that wheelchair, and I got on my hands and knees and unzipped the stranger's old carry-on hardly believing what I was doing I stood up and started brushing the old man's hair. It was perfectly clean, but it was tangled and matted. I don't do many things well, but I must admit I've had notable experience untangling knotted hair mothering two little girls

Like I'd done with either Amanda or Melissa in such a condition, I began brushing at the very bottom of the strands, remembering to take my time not to pull. A miraculous thing happened to me as I started brushing that old man's hair. Everybody else in the room disappeared. There was no one alive for those moments except that old man and me. I brushed and I brushed and I brushed until every tangle was out of that hair.

I know this sounds so strange but I've never felt that kind of love for another soul in my entire life. I believe with all my heart, I - for that few minutes - felt a portion of the very love of God. That He had overtaken my heart for a little while like someone renting a room and making Himself at home for a short while. The emotions were so strong and so pure that I knew they had to be God's.

His hair was finally as soft and smooth as an infant's. I slipped the brush back in the bag, went around the chair to face him. I got back down on my knees, put my hands on his knees, and said, "Sir, do you know my Jesus?"

He said, "Yes, I do." Well, that figures, I thought. He explained, "I've known Him since I married my bride." "She wouldn't marry me until I got to know the Savior." He said, "You see, the problem is, I haven' seen my bride in months. I've had open-heart surgery, and she's been too ill to come see me. I was sitting here thinking to myself. What a mess I must be for my bride."

Only God knows how often He allows us to be part of a divine moment when we're completely unaware of the significance. This, on the other hand, was one of those rare encounters when I knew God had intervened in details only He could have known. It was a God moment, and I'll never forget it. Our time came to board, and we were not on the same plane. I was deeply ashamed of how I'd acted earlier and would have been so proud to have accompanied him on that aircraft.

I still had a few minutes, and as I gathered my things to board, the airline hostess returned from the corridor, tears streaming down her cheeks. She said, "That old man's sitting on the plane, sobbing. Why did you do that? What made you do that?"

I said, "Do you know Jesus? He can be the bossiest thing!" And we got to share. I learned something about God that day. He knows if you're exhausted because you're hungry, you're serving in the wrong place or it is time to move on but you feel too responsible to budge. He knows if you're hurting or feeling rejected. He knows if you're sick or drowning under a wave of temptation. Or He knows if you just need your hair brushed. He sees you as an individual. Tell Him your need!

I got on my own flight, sobs choking my throat, wondering how many opportunities just like that one had I missed along the way... all because I didn't want people to think I was strange. God didn't send me to that old man. He sent that old man to me.

John 1:14 "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Oh Lord, may I be full of grace and truth as I minister to my husband, my children, those you lead my way! May they see Jesus in MY LIFE!