Old 03-19-2004, 08:43 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default My list

Decided to do as Star suggested. I sat down and thought (Not too hard because my brain feels dead) about what I will eventually be able to eat or not eat. Like I said, this isn't a really good list (I'm not usually a list maker and I stink at it), but it'll work for a temporary starting spot. IF I ever get to the next level!! I know I'm missing TONS of food options. I'm going to re-read the book but what do ou all think?

THE NEXT STEP:

CAN HAVE (ALWAYS)
Lettuce (vegetables)
Meat
Taco’s (on low carb shell)
Pistacchios
Sunflower seeds
Strawberries/Blueberries (Berry Family)
Low carb treats/desserts (occ treat only)
Low carb bread/buns/muffins (occ treat only)
DT Soda

CAN HAVE ON RARE OCCASIONS
Strawberry Cheesecake (It’s a once a year BD thing)
Fruit
Alcoholic drinks
Spaghetti

CAN’T HAVE
Sugar
Flour
Regular ice cream
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good list Brenda,

Can't is such a forever word, if I say that to myself I'll most likely have it just because. I have to say to myself I can have it but on a special occasion, then in my pea brain it makes me happy b/c I feel like I'm not depriving myself.

Yeah I know I'm weird

I need a list too.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:57 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

The word "can't" to me means "find something more healthier". So far I've found low carb blueberry muffins that are great. So I don't think I'll miss the "can't" list. I can always revamp it
Old 03-19-2004, 09:03 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Ahhhh can't = better choice, got it

Blue berry muffins, you know I"m afraid to start trying that stuff. I'm scared to pieces that it will make me want the real stuff (like the lc chocolate bars sigh~) because I am such a wooose at control (obviously).

What brand did you get ?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #5  
Head Princess

I like it, Brenda! I'm going to post my own list here. I'm substituting the word 'Can't' with 'Won't', though. It keeps me from feeling deprived. So here's my maintenance plan:

Regular Foods
Veggies
Meats
Cheeses
Nuts
Seeds
Berries
Melon

Occasional Foods
Whole wheat, lower carb, bread
Whole wheat pasta
Larger fruit (peaches, apples, pears, etc.)
Specialty foods (lc pizza, lc ice cream, ZCarb bar)

Won't Eat It!
White flour
Refined sugar
That Which Is Without Nutritional Value
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:24 PM   #6  

StarPrincess: Do you eat Whole Wheat pasta? I used to have that and planned on eating it again when I am at goal.....but you eat it now? Isn't that still really high in carbs? I wonder if I should start adding some of that stuff back in in little bits since I am 12 away from goal.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

Leenie==I bought the Atkins brand (there was no other choice around here and I NEEDED a muffin). I made them, ate one and froze the others. I make sure I don't get them out unless it's a NEED a "bread" type thing. I've had them frozen for a couple months and only have eaten one (besides the one I chowed on to begin with). I'd love a lower carb muffin mix!!

Star==love the list! I'd like to eventually have "bread" (or muffin) at least once a week. But I want to find some VERY low carb ones first. Any suggestions on that one?

Jane==it's the "to add carbs or not to add carbs" question. I've wrestled with it also. Decided to only add a few more carbs (sunflower seeds) when it's TOM. Because I want to get a LOT closer to my goal than I'm at now before messing around. lol. But I'm not a good control person.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #8  
Head Princess

I don't eat any pasta right now. Spaghetti squash is one of my most beloved veggies, though The list I posted is for when I get to maintenance.

I do eat LC bread on occasion. What I've found is that the very low carb breads (2-4 grams per slice) taste somewhat funky. I just discovered Great Harvest makes a lower carb bread (8-9 grams per slice). It's wonderful! I like buying from them because they make all their bread right there in the store and I can read the ingredient list and understand everything that I'm seeing. Oroweat's carb counting bread is ok (6 grams per slice) and I've heard that Sara Lee's de-liteful breads are yummy (9 grams per slice). Does that help?

I do keep some atkins cinnamon-raisin bagels in the freezer but I don't eat them very often. It's a texture thing. I have a dream that one day they'll come out with reduced carb english muffins. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

I'll keep my eye open for low-carb bread around here. I'm not a english muffin person--I LOVE blueberry ones though!! I've been thinking I need something besides eggs for breakfast once in a while so I need to do a recipe search
Old 03-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

I agree w/the texture thing Star, if I wanna eat rubber I'll get some gummy candy (well not really). The atkins bagels here go for almost $6 a bag....highway robbery and a crime for sure.

Brenda I'll have to remember to freeze them if I decide to whip up a batch, good idea.