Support Groups - 21 day challenge!!!

View Full Version : 21 day challenge!!!

Marti
03-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Well here I am...bringing the 21 day challenge to where I'm usually post!! :D This was a thread that was posted in the Support Groups Forum.....well....it kind of got lost and many people stopped posting...me included. But I started it again then decided, that I would rather stay in my corner of the board and keep track here. This is pretty much for my own benefit...but if any of you would like to join me....that would be great.

Here is how it works. You choose something that you would like to work on and do it for 21 days. (to make it a habit) Such as drink 80oz. of water, walk a mile, or what ever else may come to mind. You do a count down. But if you miss a day...you start over to day one. And you can start over many times, but if you're constantly starting over.....well then....I would say maybe you should find something else to work on for 21 days.

Here is what I'm working on.

Eating Breakfast
Drinking up to 80oz. of water

Simple you say.....believe me,,,,it's not as simple as it sounds...there have been times that I just had to start over.

Since I've already started this, this is my day 5. (although....one morning I only had coffee for breakfast at Shanna's...but I still counted that!)

Anyone want to join me??

Jane
03-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Great thread, Marti!

To those of you who are more "fit", this may seem like a wimpy thing, but I want my challenge to be to include citrus fruit everyday! Vitamin C is so important to us, and our bodies don't store it. Therefore, we really need some vitamin C everyday, preferably from real food, (which includes fiber), not a supplement. Sometimes, though, I skip my orange or forget about it, and this thread will help me remember!

That is my challenge!

Jane
03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
After I posted above, I started thinking of other sources of Vitamin C, and went to check it out at WebMD.com, and found this interesting list.

Provided by Mark Levine, MD, an endocrinologist at the National Institutes of Health:

Source (in milligrams) Amount of Vitamin C
1/2 cup orange juice 50
1/2 cup fortified grape juice 120
medium orange 70
medium kiwi fruit 75
1 cup sliced strawberries 95
1/4 medium cantaloupe 60
1/2 cup cooked broccoli 60
1/2 cup cooked Brussels sprouts 50
medium baked potato 25
1/2 cup raw tomato 15
baked sweet potato 30
1/2 cup fresh, cooked snow peas 40
1/2 cup raw green pepper 65

Bring on the strawberries!!!!

SqueakMouse
03-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Ooh, I am interested. Now I just have to think of something to do. Hey Marti, any ideas???????

Marti
03-20-2004, 03:32 AM
Day 6 was successful. I had my breakfast this morning before shopping and I have been drinking water like crazy!! I feel so dehydrated!! I wonder if it's from all the struggling I did trying on dresses??? :lol:

So Day 6 done!!

Jana...I'm glad you're joining.....and I don't think your challenge is a wimpy thing at all. In fact, I've considered doing my next one as "taking a vitamin every day" that is very hard for me....I don't know why I don't take it very often!

Shanna.....Water? Walking? What do you struggle with most?

Ok....now I'm off to bed.

Jane
03-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Day one - had an orange. :cp:

FrouFrou
03-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Good job Marti & Jana! :cp: :bravo: :cp:

I am going to jump on this 21 day challenge as soon as I figure out what it is I want to work on, I have a couple of things I need to but I am not going to try and do both. I post later when I decide.

fropvd
03-20-2004, 09:39 AM
OK, I thought of one...I am going to do at least 20 sit ups/crunches per day for the next 21 days. I want my middle smaller so it'll fit into my graduation dress better. *grin*

Mom2Gaby
03-20-2004, 03:14 PM
I think I will make my challenge in what I struggle with the most and that is being consistent in my walking.
I kind of do it this day and not the next.
Depending on the weather, depending on my mood.
An excuse here and an excuse there..........being half arse about it..lol

So, 30 minute walk a day, I can certainly fit that in my schedule.

FrouFrou
03-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Okay, I have decided I will work on taking my vitamins. I don't know why I have such a hard time taking them-I mean they are sitting in a basket on the kitchen counter and I only see them 15 times a day. :^: Just don't think to take them, so starting tomorrow I am going to work on that for the next 21 days. Once that is done I will start on something else to make it a habit.

Okay, scratch that. I had to go upstairs and put a load of clothes in the dryer and grabbed my vitamins. No time like the present right? :) so, day 1 down.

luckycharm
03-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Hey ladies,

Something to work on for 21 days.....I can think of lots, but I'll start with the one that my doctor recommended for me to do that would aid me the most. Eat breakfast. So starting tomorrow, that will be my first challenge.

FrouFrou
03-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Day two down-I just hope I can keep this up long enough to make it a habit. :)

fropvd
03-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Day two done...I just about squeeze it in before going to sleep.

Jane
03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Day 2 I had a green pepper cut into strips on my salad and Day 3 (today) I had an orange w/my breakfast.

Mom2Gaby
03-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Day 1
I walked 30 mintues (plus 10).

I didn't walk yesterday, I spent that thinking about it :)

So, this is my Day 1.

Mom2Gaby
03-22-2004, 12:02 PM
My Day 2

I walked my 30 minutes (plus 15 more minutes)

Committed to not over doing and burning out. That slow progress is the best way to go for life long changes.

I would like to start walk/run in about a month, though I tried some of that this morning.Be so cool to run a mile someday!!!! :)

FrouFrou
03-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Day 3 down :)

fropvd
03-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Day three down. ;)

Marti
03-23-2004, 03:18 AM
Day 8 finished. Been eating my breakfast and drinking my water. But for some reason I've been drinking the majority of it in the evening!!!

Jane
03-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Day 4 and 5 down!

FrouFrou
03-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Day 4-check! :)

fropvd
03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Day 4....21 situps. :)

Mom2Gaby
03-23-2004, 02:31 PM
My Day 3

I am committed to 30 minutes a day

I did that this morning, plus an extra 10 minutes.

:).....yay........18 days to go.....lol

Marti
03-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Day 9 completed!!

I do have to say....that tomorrow may be a challenge in itself to get these done!! I might have to start over!! (and I'm only half way through!)

Just thought I would bring that up.

Mom2Gaby
03-24-2004, 10:27 PM
My Day 4

I walked the usual 30 mintues, plus 10 for cushion.
That 10 mintues gets me back where I started from.....lol.Thinking it is basically a 2 miles walk.

The Gabster and I did it with the sprinkles!!!! Rain, thunder , lightening.......we ain't wusses.

Actually it was just a sprinkle or 2.....didn't last long, covered her with my coat and all was well. :)

FrouFrou
03-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Day 5 down and going strong.

Mom2Gaby
03-25-2004, 08:05 PM
My Day 5

I walked 30 minutes, with the usual 10 extra.

In the rain!! I must say feel a boost to get out there and get it done each day when I have to *report* in.

Jane
03-26-2004, 08:13 PM
I've been doing really good even though I don't post here everyday. Being able to count baked potatoes, kiwi and other things I like is making this a lot easier.

Mom2Gaby
03-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Miserable Day 6

Ok- after a nap, with a pms back,and basically in a grumpy mood I managed a 30 mintue walk in the rain.

Tomorrow it will be sunny :)

Marti
03-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Day 12 done and over with!

I thought I would have some trouble doing this on my "sweetheart" time, but I'm not. I've been doing well with breakfast (although I really haven't felt like having it) and I've been drinking tons of water.

Everyone else is doing FANTASTIC! Keep it up girls!!

RAR
03-27-2004, 02:01 PM
HI! everyone I really think I need to get in this but there are so many that I could choose!!!!!!!!! so think I will start that I am going to ride my bike everyday was up to 20 minutes now that I have not done it faithfully willhave to start over so hopefully I will be able to post postive off to get on my bike have a great saturday!!!!!!!!!! Rita

Mom2Gaby
03-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Happy Day 7

Walked 30min. + some extra.

First time I actually sweated, what does THAT mean??

Also, pryed the walkman away from Rachel and listening to music made it go so much faster.
It was even kind of fun.......course the EX had just used it and I don't know how to change the channel so I listened to Judy Collins, Dean Martin....Barry Manilow....easy listening...

lol

ttfn:)

FrouFrou
03-27-2004, 04:30 PM
You know you wouldn't think something as simple as taking vitamins would be so hard. I am starting over with Day 1 as I forgot to take them yesterday. :doh: I am kicking myself for that.

Marti
03-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Well,,,I had my breakfast, but not one ounce of water today!! :(

How is that for being bad???

So tomorrow I will have to start over with day one.

I am just going to do WATER!!! Must have WATER!!!

Mom2Gaby
03-28-2004, 03:59 PM
My Day 8

Gabster & I walked 40 minutes this AM before church.

Strolling to Nat King Cole, Sinatra,Sammy Davis.....the downside to this is I start thinking I can sing and will burst out....."that old black magic has me in a spell"......snapping fingers and all.........argh :).....

We did it though!!!

ttfn :)

Mom2Gaby
03-28-2004, 07:38 PM
My Day 8 Continues

Remember Forrest Gump when he puts his running shoes on and runs cross country?? Gets to the Pacific Ocean and turns around and runs some more??

lol

Just was watching the end of Sleepless In Seattle today and feeling good when I thought.........I want to walk some more!!!!

So, I did.......another 40 minutes,which is 2 miles for me.So, I have walked 18 miles total since I started this challenge.....yay.....going to get below that darn 150 yet.

ttfn:)

Marti
03-28-2004, 07:42 PM
I may have to start a different challenge after this water!! Walking sounds like a good one. I think I will get out my pedometer and figure out how many miles I can do in 21 days. And then stick to it!!

Keep up the good work Susan!!

I'll be back to update my day one!

RAR
03-28-2004, 08:17 PM
HI! girls I see that you are all accomplishing what you set your goal at way to go keep it up today is day 2 I walked the park for 35 minutes I was so happy that I finished it was limping pretty bad as stupid me didnt have a brace on my knee much better now at least I did something so have a great sunday Ritastarted 159,now149.goal140 I am going to do it and maintain!!!!!!!

Mom2Gaby
03-29-2004, 02:23 PM
My Day 9

:dance: :dance:

He is my favorite little icon thing, isn't he the cutest??? He is so happy ....what a nut. lol

Anyway, walked 30 minutes,plus some.
Think this is Gabsters limit, because any longer she would be going outta of her mind.
So,we went to the play area and she got some energy out of her little system.
She is soooooo cute, my little exercise buddy :)

ttfn

RAR
03-30-2004, 11:53 AM
HI! girls well day 3 and day4 I did ride my bike 15 minutes and I am not giving up I think I will add the water also as I hate water so here goes have a great day Rita

Marti
03-30-2004, 09:12 PM
I forgot to post that this is my third day!!

So Day 3 going good.
Just doing the water.....since I'm doing pretty good at having breakfast!

Mom2Gaby
03-30-2004, 09:34 PM
:stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress

I didn't walk today so back to Day 1

tomorrow

:censored: :censored: :censored:

I really did feel a need for a break though.........ya, thats it. Recharge my batteries and all......it was all planned.... :dance: :dance: ....is he not the cutest??

TTFN

Marti
04-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Day 5 done!!!

And it's not even 2:00 yet!! I drank about 80oz. today while at school. Believe me, one class was hard to sit through!! :D

Going strong girls....I'm already thinking of my next challenge!!

FrouFrou
04-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Why is it so hard to remember to take vitamins????? :rollpin: :rollpin: :rollpin: It's not even a matter of forgetting to do it, but just doing it.

I am starting all over AGAIN!!! But I am going to add water to my challenge also. I am aiming for 4 bottles a day but will challenge just 2 for starters. I am also typing a checklist if you will and posting it on my cabinet door. I WILL get this to 21 days if it kills me!

Marti
04-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Day 7 done!!

I had Champaigne and I also got in tons of water in today!!

Marti
04-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Day 8 done!

How is everyone doing? Getting tired of this yet?.......

FrouFrou
04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
So far, so good. :) I did make my little table/reminder and put it on the cabinet in front of the vitamins. I got some small smiley face stickers in the mail a few days ago and I am putting one on the table for every day done.

Marti
04-06-2004, 10:55 PM
I've drank soooooo much water today!! It's crazy!! Shanna came over had her huge bottle of water then I had four glasses since she left......already having 2 before!! And these are 16oz. glasses.

So...

Day 10 complete!

FrouFrou
04-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Still going strong...I have been taking my vitamins daily and drinking two bottles (16.9 oz) of water. I am trying to get more water in but I guess I need to get used to the two first. After this challenge maybe I will add another bottle or maybe after a week or two of the two bottles. Hey, it is better than nothing which is what I was doing before so...I try to get in more but it is not happening so for now 2 will have to do.

Marti
04-09-2004, 01:00 AM
Day 12!!!

Unlike the weekly challenge...I'm having no problem with the water. As long as I'm doing this challenge though. If I were to not be doing this....I probably wouldn't work on it as hard. Maybe that's my problem with the weekly.....

Actually....

I don't know what my problem is....maybe it's because it's EXERCISE!! :D

FrouFrou
04-09-2004, 04:09 PM
still going strong. I am proud of myself for sticking with it this long. :cheer: I am always struggling with the water and vitamins and one would think that is the easiest thing to do. Well, for me it's not. It is easy to do, just getting it done is another story. :lol: I have gotten three bottles of water in there also,which is very good for me. I will get there, slowly :snail: but surely. I think my biggest problem is trying to do too much at one time. I know I need to eat right, drink my water and exercise but I think if I focus on one thing at a time and make that a habit before starting something else it will stick.

luckycharm
04-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Everyone is doing so great, keep up the good work.

I started the challenge a few weeks ago, and just couldn't manage to eat breakfast so I haven't been posting here.

Now I have managed to eat breakfast for 4 days in a row plus drink water and walk. I hope that I can keep it up for 17 more days.

Have a great day everyone.

RAR
04-10-2004, 08:53 PM
HI! Everyone hopeing that everybody will be having a great Eastersounds like everyone is doing great on their challange well I am back to day 1 I think I will just do one and the important one for me is drinking water so here goes!!!!!!!!! Rita

FrouFrou
04-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Yaaaaaaay!! I am doing great! Almost half way there. :cheer:

Marti
04-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Day 15 finished!!

Wow!! Almost have the full 21 days complete!!

FrouFrou
04-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Marti~you are doing a great job! Keep it up! :cheer:

My next challenge is going to be a hard one. But still have 11 days to go yet on this one.

FrouFrou
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Yaaaaaay! I passed the half-way mark and am still going strong. Like I said, I am concentrating on these two things first before I throw the exercise in there. Then I will also concentrate on getting OP 100%. Hoping this works. :crossed:

Marti
04-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Day 18 finished!!

Wow...only two more days and I completed!!! AND...it'll be the weekend!! :lol: But I still plan on drinking the water.....it's good for me and I don't pig out as much....maybe I better make the next challenge MORE water.....up my ounces!! (just see how much my bladder will handle)

Actually, I want to find something excercise wise...or something. I think this 21 day challenge works better for me than the weekly...I tend to put off when it's too lenient. Does that make sense?

Marti
04-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Day 21 FINISHED!!!

:cb: :cp: :hat: :high: Whoo Hoo!!!!!! :cb: :cp: :hat: :high:

I did a full 21 days!!

Now......for my next 21 days I plan on figuring something out that will be more challenging. I will start on Monday!!

FrouFrou
04-17-2004, 09:41 PM
All right, only 6 days to go! Woohoo :cheer:

Marti~EXCELLENT job girly! :cp: :bravo:

luckycharm
04-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Marti :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: way to go.. you did it.

Cristi look at you go :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: you are so close to finishing your 21 days.

I was doing so well and I slept in yesterday so no breakfast. Starting over at day 1. Had breakfast already, so day 1 done again.