South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:37 PM   #1  
mind of destructive taste

Default what do you eat?

hey ladies.. i was just wondering what you all eat during the day to keep you satisfied. today has been pretty hard. (my 1st official day on the SBD). this is what i have had today:

breakfast:
2 eggs scrambled w/ fat free cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese

no snack

lunch:
a salad. 2 cups of romaine lettuce, 2 cherry tomatos, 1/8 of a cucumber and 4-5 little pieces of raw/fresh broccoli. dressing was newman's own balsamic vinegar and i only used 1 tbsp.

snack:
1/2 cup shelled pisatcios (*sp)

dinner:
1/3 lb. burger. no bun. lettuce, tomato, onion, lite mayo.

snack:
9 slices of cucumber. salted

i feel like a cow. please tell me if that is too much to be eating in one day.. my question to everyone is.. what do you eat during the day to keep satisfied. when i eat.. i feel like im hungry an hour later. and i sit and drive myself crazy trying to wait an "appropriate" amount of time before i snack on something or eat again. what keeps you full?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #2  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

I don't think that's too much food at all. In fact it sounds like maybe its not enough! As long as you're not hungry it should be fine though. I'm not sure approx how many calories that is, but just keep in mind not to eat too few or you'll send your body into starvation mode and you won't drop any weight! I eat alot of the same things every day that you did today. I add in some Sugar Free Jell-o, Sugar Free popsicles and Kiwi Strawberry Diet Rite to conquer my sweet tooth!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:51 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Doesn't sound like enough to me, either. Seriously, I think you're doing GREAT, D.T.!!
What about some of those turkey roll-ups for a snack?
Did you check out the FAQ and Recipe sections?
My DH often makes me an omelet in the morning with all kinds of vegetables in it. Red pepper, onions, garlic, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. It's yummy and filling, and it helps me to eat my vegetables. Which I hate.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:25 AM   #4  
kpw

not at all too much - i find eating lots of vegetables at every meal (yeah, even breakfast, especially in phase 1) helped fill me up, and i usually tried to eat protein + veggies, not just protein, at meals, although just protein is certainly OK on this diet. it helped me tremendously to have already cut up veggies like red bell peppers, celery and zucchini ready at hand and i never felt guilty about eathing those or string cheese at will, whenever i had hunger cravings. i love munching on veggies with some hummus. cherry tomatoes are also great to have on hand because they're sweet and you can just pop a few and (hopefully) curb the sweet cravings.

good luck, you're doing great you may get tired in the first few days, but trust me, the energy will return (with a vengence!).
Old 03-17-2004, 01:57 AM   #5  

Judging by Dr A's meal plans you should be having protein with vegies for each meal and a protein based snack. You can have extra vegies with snacks but his recommendations are about 1/2 cup of vegies with breakfast and 2 cups with lunch AND dinner. I would add some lean meat, fish, or chicken breast for lunch as well as dinner and make your snacks more substantial. You can have low fat plain or vanilla yogurt or low fat milk (about 375ml per day I think). Remember to include deserts. Most of the recipes in the book are ricotta based but you could have yogurt or sugar free deserts. A friend of mine suggested making custard with splenda, custard powder and low fat milk but I haven't tried it yet.

Eat enough to feel satisfied but not overfull. It is likely that you will eat a lot of protein in the first few days while you are withdrawing off carbos but this will diminish and by the end of the two weeks you won't crave carbos and your portions will be smaller.

It is important to eat your snacks whether you feel like them or not because they will stop you from overeating at meal times. If you are still hungry then have another snack. It is better than overeating or eating off plan. Also remember to drink lots of water.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:19 AM   #6  

I ate fish as a snack on phase one, like some tuna mayo (not much mayo) with veggies in, or when I could afford it prawns with some lime juice. My other snack of choice is low fat gouda cheese with a few almonds, but I cant recall what the phase one rule for almonds is so you should check that.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:35 AM   #7  

sounds like you are off to a good start, it is really important to remember your snacks if you get to the point of starvation before the next meal then you tend to over eat. i like lf string cheese, or celery with lf ranch, or just plain old cut up veggies for a snack. try plugging your foods in at www.fitday.com to keep track of calories carbs etc. until you get the hang of it. i was amazed to see what i ate in a day as far as cals etc. good luck and keep up the good work!!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:58 AM   #8  

Everyone that has replied so far has given great advice and been right on. I agree that it doesn't look like you had enough food. I would have added a grilled chicken breast to that salad at lunch. Or...tuna, shrimp, chopped hard boiled egg. I would have dipped those cucumber slices (or make spears) in hummus, another protein source. I would have also made some side veggie dishes to go with my burger such as roasted broccoli or asparagus.

You're doing great...don't starve yourself!!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:11 AM   #9  
I got Madonna tickets!

Agreed, no where NEAR enough food. I would maybe also replace some of the fatfree cheese with reduced fat, I find it is much more satisfying and fills me up more.

One of the secrets I have found for me is making a lot of different things with each meal. It makes washing up a pain, but it really works. Like the other night we had roast beef, aspargus with lemon, the spinach stuffed mushrooms from the cookbook, and I had a lettuce and tomato salad, as well. It's not that much, cause it's mostly all veg, but the variety keeps me satisfied.

You're doing great!!!! I think one of the hardest things on this diet is realizing that food is not the enemy and that you can actually eat more than you might be accustomed. Just really go through the approved lists and mix and match and find combinations that work. Also, add some beans, like chick pea salad or black bean salad, VERY filling and a-okay on P1.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

-D.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #10  

hey destructive,
You and I started on the same day. What's really helping me is doing "protein feedings." About six times a day I eat some protein with veggies. That's pretty much my diet, except for my tea with nonfat milk in between.
Your diet looks great except I think you need a nice chunk of protein midday...on top of your salad!!
cheers, MM
Old 03-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #11  

wait...I'm on day three so I've got a day on you. So I'm officially sanctioned to give you advice.

also dt...add more fat. buy some healthy non trans-fat margarine and add it to eggs, to cooking your meat and vegs, etc. as for me personally, I don't feel full without protein plus fat.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

A typical day for me is:

Breakfast:
2 slices of Canadian bacon
1/2 scrambled egg ( I split an egg with DH in the morning)
1 cup of coffee

snack:
1 turkey roll up

Lunch: -Julienne Salad - very filling and you get some protein with it to carry you through the day

Toss together 2 cups mixed Romaine and red leaf lettuce with 1/2 cup sliced cucumber and 1/2 cup chopped raw broccoli, some shredded red cabbage 2oz low fat cheese and 2oz lean cooked ham or turkey - both chopped up
1/2 a medium sized tomato and top with 2 tbsp low sugar dressing.

1 cup sugar free jello

Snack:
celery with 1 triangle of low fat laughing cow cheese

Dinner:
4 oz of chicken, beef or fish - usually marinated and broiled or baked
1 cup each of 2 different vegetables-steamed with a little lemon juice sprinkled over them instead of butter

Snack:
some cashews, 2 oz of low fat cheese or NF/SF yogurt ( I am on phase 2 now)
Old 03-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #13  

Yesterday I ate more than normal but dropped 1/2 kg overnight (1.1lb). I had

2 eggs, reduced fat cheese, mushrooms
Low fat yogurt and 10 walnut halves
Greek salad (feta cheese and olive oil). Had about 2 cups of salad vegies
Low fat yogurt, reduced fat cheese, 20 peanuts
Rump steak with roasted italian vegies (about 1.5 cups of vegies)
Sugar free jelly with 100g (1/2 cup low fat icecream). Not on plan but oh well.

Drank 9 cups of water
Walked one hour plus did a one hour aqua aerobics class
Drank one coffee (caffeinated) and had one cup of herbal tea.

On weight watcher this is 23 points but usually I consume about 20 which is about 1000 calories. I was hungrier than normal so ate extra nuts and cheese with afternoon tea and had a small scoop of ice cream. This is actually a huge amount of food when I look at it all written down but it obviously is stilling letting me lose weight and suppress my appetite. Maybe the water and exercise are contributing as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #14  
mind of destructive taste

thank you all for the advice!! i think i may print this post off and keep it w/ me at meal times. haha maybe i am not eating enough. im hungry all the time still.

i also was a hardcore caffine addict before this. so i have this permanent brain freeze feeling going on from lack of caffine. haha

but i stepped on the scale today.. this afternoon.. because my pants felt just a little little but looser than normal. and i swear it said i had lost 1.5 lbs, im hoping so because its been my motivation for the rest of this day.

its funny to say but im almost afraid to eat too much. when i do eat i feel like i have eaten way too much. but i will def. keep what you all have said in mind next time i have something.

i made some sugar free black cherry jell-o for a snack tonight. mmm.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:29 PM   #15  

Default WOW Awesome site!

Thanks so much for the link to that fantastic site. Wow I am taking in alot of fat! My carbs were super low and my protein was about 40%. What percentages should I be aiming for? Does anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjodi
sounds like you are off to a good start, it is really important to remember your snacks if you get to the point of starvation before the next meal then you tend to over eat. i like lf string cheese, or celery with lf ranch, or just plain old cut up veggies for a snack. try plugging your foods in at www.fitday.com to keep track of calories carbs etc. until you get the hang of it. i was amazed to see what i ate in a day as far as cals etc. good luck and keep up the good work!!
Closed Thread