Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #1  

Wink how long.....

Just wondering how long it took everyone to get approved by insurance to have GBP? I am getting ready to really push it and was just wondering what to expect
shayshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:05 AM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

It was less than two weeks for me, but that was back in the Fall of 01. Things are much different now. Some insurance companies play the stall tactic. Expect the worst, but hope for the best.

Haiziefrog, who is a drive-by poster was approved in a matter of hours. So it is possible to get a really quick turnaround.

My only piece of advice I can give you is, to have all you ducks in a row. If your insurance company requires something (psyc-eval for example) have it done and include it with your packet the doctor's office will submit.

Good Luck to you!
debkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:35 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

just echoing what deb said... ya gotta play by their rules, no matter how bizarre it seems. an incomplete package will get you bounced out of line in no time flat!!!!

snd there's NOTHING wrong with regular reminders to them [that's a gentle way of saying that you can go ahead and nag them]. they won't like it ONE BIT, but who cares?????

how did hazie get approved in hours????? that must have been some discussion!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:03 AM   #4  

Hey shayshay!!! Welcome!!!!

I think I was approved somewhere between 3-6 weeks. I know it was pretty quick (relatively speaking) once my packet was sent in.

Good luck to you...keep us posted!
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

Hey Jiff Hazel had to change from Kaiser to the company she is with now, can't think of the name. She had months to prepare her packet and used one of the best, no the best doc in all of Atlanta. His insurance person was right on top of things and sent the stuff off and knew someone in this insurance company and Hazel was called within hours and told of the approval. Hazel thought they were calling for more info, but nope....they called to say YOUR APPROVED!!!
debkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #6  

Hi Shay,
Since I just got my insurance approval yesterday this is a subject I'm quite familiar with. It took my insurance company, United Healthcare PPO, eight very long weeks for approval. Looking at that number, somehow it doesn't seem like that's very long, but trust me, when you're waiting, you're pretty sure that the devil will be ice-skating by the time you get approval.

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:32 PM   #7  

Shay- I was approved Sept 10, received the letter on the 12. My pcp sent it in on sept 3. like I said it takes awhile for Kaiser, first they send you to orientation, then you met with the Dr. who will require you to lose 10 persent which doesn't start till that orientaton date. I had orentation Jan 3rd and met the 10 % goal and surgery is Thursday. I will be having surgery at So San Francisco and am thankful to be having this surgery. California Kaiser's must review and make their decission in either 10 or 14 days, not sure which one but it's quick now. Good Luck
Karen

Last edited by smtown; 03-13-2004 at 05:35 PM.
smtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:20 PM   #8  

I have Healthlink, and my approval took about 8 to 10 days. But I also had all my ducks in a row as stated earlier. I had all my doctors referal letters, in favor of the surgery. Stating the number of years they have worked with me in dieting and history of many medical conditions. Blood pressure, Type II Diabetes, Elevated Lipid Profile.
My family doctor listed several ways surgery was going to help me.
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #9  

Is the packet something I can get and take to my doc or does my doc have to get it for me? I have only been with this insurance for a year, so I don't have a lot of diet related info in my history with them.
shayshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:37 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

the docs generally have a packet of forms and instructions that they distribute to the patients. don't let it scare you... just view it like IRS forms... stuff you have to get through.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote