Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #1  
mind of destructive taste

Default question..

uh.. hey all.. it's idontcarebear.. had to change my name because for some reason i cannot get into my other account.

anywho.. i was curious if anyone on here who has lost a good amount of weight has ever used a diet pill (or stacker2 or hydroxy cut, etc..) to help the proccess. if so.. what did you use and how well did it work? or if not you.. maybe just someone you know.

any info. would be much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #2  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

destructive taste/ bear : i myself have never had much luck with pills. would lose a lot. only to gain it all back when i went off the pills. but my dear friend has went from a size 18 to a 10 and lost about 50 pounds in the past six months and she credits stacker2's. but if she don't take them she starts gaining back. so i don't think they are all that good for you. plus i think they are due to be yanked off market soon. ( she has been stockpiling) lately me and my hubby have been taking ginseng pills for energy and i think they help boost my energy levels and when i am more energetic i notice i eat better, and not as much.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:41 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Sorry - I have never taken pills for the simple reason that I don't believe in them - they may help for a while but as Heather pointed out - if you stop them then you may gain all your weight back.

Plus I don't trust the companies that make them - there have been many times where a diet aid, either pharmaceutical or herbal, has been out on the market and then it is discovered that there are serious and sometimes fatal side effects to them.

I trust in eating right, exercising and taking care of myself - it may take a little longer but it is better for me in the long run.

Having said that I do take a multivitamin since I need to make sure I get enough iron and calcium ( I do eat low-fat dairy products and milk) and a vitamin C everyday.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #4  

I did try Phentermine (sp?) at one point to curb my appetite. It did help, but I was afraid to take it daily. I didn't want to get hooked on a pill, or risk just gaining the weight back afterwards. I would basically take a pill on days when I was feeling extra hungry and knew I would cheat if I didn't have a little bit of help. I have since fell off of my diet/exerise routine and have put almost 15 pounds back on. I am back on the program as of today and, honestly, will probably go back to taking a pill here and there as needed.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #5  

Another 2 cents to put in - just because someone else takes these things does not mean they will work for you.

Before you decide what to do you should consult with your doctor first.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:23 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Definitely consult your doc. I took ionamin many years ago and ended up close to a nervous breakdown! Phen-pen or however it's spelled gave me lung hypertension. I took Xenical for a while and had nothing to show for it but orange-stained underwear! AND I did not permanently lose weight.

The only way to lose is to change your lifestyle. If pills were so great, they wouldn't have to advertise them.

Your doctor can give you the best advice but even Meridia and Xenical increase weightloss by only 10%.

Save your money and your health!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Uh, huh. I agree with the girls... I'd consult my doctor before trying anything like that. Pills and shakes will never teach you how to eat for health.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

a difficult question., i tried ephedra a few years ago, and lost maybe 50 pounds on it. and my blood pressure skyrocketed so i stopped. and then, even though i hadn't changed my eating habits at all, i regained the 50 and THEN some.

and the good old dexatrim days... they mess with your serotonin levels and made me depressed. meridia is an appetite suppressant that also acts on your serotonin levels. and xenical blocks the absorption of fat, and since it has to go somewhere.. not a pleasant thought, as ruth SO POLITELY pointed out.

my sister used the phen recently, with some results, but she couldn't stay on them forever. so the weight came back.

sooooo i guess the bottom line is that, yeah, they do work to some degree or another, but you have to keep taking them and you can't!!!! side effects, expense, no insurance coverage, whatever the reason. and then the weight comes back, often with some additional.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #9  

i dont think im going to talk to my doctor.. for the simple fact that after reading your posts it does not seem like a very good idea to take pills. thanks to all for their input.

my problem is i cannot find a good program as far as food and excercise that work for me and i cannot afford to pay a nutritionist or go on a plan where you have to pay so much money a month.. bleh.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:34 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Which programs have you tried? Ok, maybe a better way to phrase this - do you have any health conditions that might require you to be on a certain diet? Maybe we can offer some suggestions of what has worked for us.

I am insulin resistant. Actually, many overweight people are that have been overweight for a substantial amount of time. I have to control my carbs or I cannot lose weight. I either need low carb or low glycemic, and I definitely have to have regular exercise to lose weight. Simple carbs like in white potatoes, sugar and white bread will make me gain weight. I still lose weight slowly, but I at least have found a way to lose. Also, the higher protein and complex carbs keep me full longer and I don't have as much hunger as I once did. This is just me - many other programs have worked for other people. Why don't you read around the forum here and see what others are doing. Hopefully you can find something that will work for you!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

The library has many of the new programs out there, and it's FREE!!
Old 03-14-2004, 11:23 PM   #12  

jennifer.. i have not attempted any programs as far as atkins or anything with an actual name.. i mean.. i have tried cutting back on meats.. i have tried eating only once a day (which i know is a bad thing now). i have tried to eat only salads, etc.. nothing works. or maybe im just upset that the few things i have tried didn't work. so now im in the feel sorry for myself phase. please no one bag on me because im sure you all were in that phase atleast once.

my biggest problem is.. i have a 10 month old son. he is a live wire. so i have no time to make healthy meals. i eat on the run basically. and i rarely ever have time to exercise. i am with my son all day while hubby works. and when hubby comes home and baby goes to bed.. we just want to relax. and i hate it. i wish i had more energy and motivation to do it. but enough of my sob story.

i will check the library and see what is offered. also i do have the atkins book. but not the induction one. i wish they had told me there were two dif. books before i bought the one i would need after and instead of the one i would need first. sorry for the rant. lol
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 AM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, hon... I'm sorry you're in that "feeling sorry for myself" phase. We can definitely all relate, and it's a terrible feeling.
Having a 10 month old is a very big frustration. Not that you don't LOVE your little one of course, but it's hard to find "me time".
What about the South Beach diet? There's a big forum here for it with lots of advice, recipes, support, etc. It's a healthy carb/lower fat diet, and a lot of people have had success with it. There's enough information there that you wouldn't even have to buy the book. Just an idea...
Can you get out with your baby during the day for a fast walk around the block with the stroller? Any exercise helps. Or what about when your husband gets home? Can you tell him that you need 20 minutes to yourself, and go for a speed walk around the neighbourhood? It'll give you a burst of energy for the rest of the evening.
Hang in there, girl...
Old 03-15-2004, 07:42 AM   #14  

Yes, we have all been in a situation weight wise where we feel sorry for ourselves - so we don't mind listening to your sob story

Is there someone you can get to babysit for you for a couple of hours each week? That way you can take a morning to yourself and go out alone to grocery shop so you can get the healthy things you need for meal preparation. Then when you get home you have time to put everything away and maybe prechop some salad and stuff like that.

You can also buy things like pre -made up salad in a bag in the produce section - they have kits that even include the dressing. The frozen food sections also carry stirfry mixes that you just have to add meat too and the meat sections now carry pot roast, pork roasts etc that are precooked and they microwave in 10 minutes. You can just add some potatoes and veggies on the side.

If you are eating on the run there a lot of little things you can take with you - slim fast bars, grapes, apples, baby carrots etc. For lunches at home you can try some of the Lean cuisine microwave items - they are lower in fat and are quite good.

I know it is hard when you have kids but maybe you and your husband can take one evening each week and plan some meals and the grocery list while your son is asleep?

For exercise maybe you could go out for walks with your son or go out to a local park and play with him...It doesn't sound like a lot but even 15 -30 minutes of walking per day does your body good.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #15  

thank you for the advice and input, everyone. i really really appreciate it.

i will def. look into the south beach diet and read up on that. i also love salads so i will have to check out those pre-made deals next time we go get some groceries.

where we live is so small. there is not even a park. but i am sure as soon as the weather gets a bit better i can pack my tyke into his stroller and go for a walk. he loves to be outside as it is. so im sure that won't be a problem.

and im sure the hub would watch my son for a bit after he gets home. im just a wimp and hate to ask since he has been at work all day. but ya.. so have i basically. taking care of a child is a lot harder than some may think. lol especially mine.

but really.. thank you all for the great advice.. it will (im sure) help me out a great deal!!
Closed Thread