100 lb. Club - Silly Poll: what size clothes do you wear?

Step
03-03-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm 5'5" and I am now comfortably fitting into all my size 24W pants. I only had 2 pairs of 26W and now they are sliding around :) I had some "forgiving" 24Ws that were 'ok' but not great before I started losing. I also had some "small 24s" if you know what I mean, and I'm happy to report that they now fit.

Obviously the clothing manufacturer, the wearer's muscle tone, height and body shape all come into consideration ... but still I'm curious. The smallest I've ever been was 147bs in college. I was very active and not 'too flabby'. I was most consistently a regular size (Misses) 14, occassionally a Misses 12 (dresses or elastic waist pantsuits). I never have had much of a waist, and even at 147, if pants fit in the waist they bagged at the hips, and if they fit at the hips, they were tight in the waist. Same thing today.

Yet ... I occassionally I see weightloss ads (I know, not realistic) where people claim that they lost 40 pounds and went from a size 16 to a size 6. Or you see somebody who says they are 300+ pounds and wearing a size 18. I wear an 18 at about 180lbs maybe that person is 6 1/2 feet tall?

I hate tight clothes (no matter what my size) ... so maybe that factors into the sizes I buy. I'm just curious ... what do you think about these things?

Flower_storm
03-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I ware 32 couldn't get into anything smaller if i tryed. At 307 i fit in to 28

yogakitty
03-03-2004, 01:41 PM
This one is tough for me, cuz my belly is WAY bigger than my other parts. Ugh. Most of me is a 24, but my belly is firmly in a 26. And jeans - I gave those up 50 lbs ago cuz they are completely unforgiving to the belly, but I can pretty much squeeze into an 28 in those :)

Oh, and I'm 5'5" and except for the belly I'm blessed to be rather well-proportioned.

Sheila53
03-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Well, I'm 5'9", weigh 196.5 and wear a size 14. I'm actually quite shocked by it (thought I'd wear an 18 or 16), but attribute it to consistent weight lifting.

chequitagirl
03-03-2004, 01:53 PM
well i am 5' 10" and weigh 313 lbs. at 356 lbs. i wore a 26/28 in everything. i am now into a 22/24 and a very small cut 26. but i can also wear an xl in some jogging pants i have, so i really think it depends on the person and who makes the clothes.

suzie76
03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm at 198.5 and am five feet eight inches tall. I wear a size eighteen pants, but sometimes they're tight, and a large or xl shirt. I've been strength training for months, and have a small waist/not terrible stomach, but my hips/thighs prevent me from fitting into a smaller size on bottom...sigh...Sheila, I would be ecstatic just to get into a size sixteen pants-good for you!

Sherry

BrwnEyedGurl
03-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Alright, at 280 (5'2.5") I'm in a 26 pants (28's still fit but are fairly baggy especially the 28w I have)..

And as for shirts I'm usually 22/24, but being self-conscious about anything that's remotely snug about my midsection I have some 26/28s in my wardrobe... going to have to cut out wearing the bigger ones, though... My chest is shrinking before my eyes and I feel like I'm swimming in the shirts.. Just wish the tummy would be the one shrinking. My chest is the only thing I don't mind not shrinking.

misty1328
03-03-2004, 02:42 PM
I started at 285 (5'6") and was wearing a tight 22 and a comfortable 24 and at 268 I'm wearing a comfortable 22. Everyone is different you have to consider muscle definition and bone mass as well as brands of clothing.

kari_berry
03-03-2004, 02:52 PM
My current weight is 280, I am 5'4 and I am mostly comfortable in size 22 jeans but I have one pair of 24 jeans that just don't fit too good. Could be me, could be the brand...who knows...lol but I can zip them up, and wear them, but I am uncomfortable in them. I wear a size 22/24 in a top.

When I was 305 lbs I wore a size 26/28 jean and 26/28 top.

My lowest weight was 185 and I wore a 16 jean and 14/16 top.

How I'd love to get back to a 14/16 :)

Sandi
03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
What a great topic. This is one thing that ALWAYS drives me crazy. I'll be at the same weight as someone and they are wearing 2-3 sizes smaller than me. I think it's totally a height and muscle thing.

At 284 I am wearing pretty much a 26/28. AT 300+ a 30/32 was a MUST. I'm 5'6.

I have no idea what size I'll be. As long as I can shop in a normal store, I think I'll be a happy camper.

AngiKL
03-03-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm 203 at 5'5" and am comfortable in an 18. Most XL tops fit me, but I'm most comfortable in a Woman's 1X.

It is so odd how it is so varied, isn't it?

boiaby
03-03-2004, 06:09 PM
I'm 5'8", at 330+lbs. I wore a 30/32 or bigger if they had it. Now I am excited to say that I wear a size 8/10 or medium at 142 lbs. And I actually enjoy clothes shopping now where I absolutley dreaded it before. I really don't get why the sizes vary so much depending who makes them. I mean there really should be some kind of a standard otherwise why couldn't they decide to slap a size 8 label on a pair of size 16 pants just because they think it would help sales?

Beverly

SuchAPrettyFace
03-03-2004, 06:40 PM
I am 5'7", and in size 22 both on top & bottom. A solid 2X.

The thing that frosts my cupcakes is: THIS IS THE SAME SIZE I WAS WEARING IN HIGH SCHOOL, AT 225#. So the manufacturers have changed their sizing charts. There's no doubt in my mind anymore.

Jennelle
03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Yes, sizing charts have changed. Marilyn Monroe wore a size 16. Today, she'd probably wear a 10.

And it is odd how varied it is...I am only an inch taller than Angi, but weigh about 30 pounds more. We both wear an 18. (Although I do have one pair of dress pants that's a 20, but they're a bit loose.) And dresses...don't get me started! As long as I am wearing a panty girdle, I can wear a size 14 dress.

Jennelle

Daners
03-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Well, for starters, I'm about 5'2". I started this journey at 298+ (quit looking at the scale when the size 26 jeans were getting tight). I was squeezing into size 26 jeans, but would have been comfy in a 28. I bought one pair of size 28 pants, cut the tag out and wore them. On top I was wearing 3XL shirts, and 26-28 shirts.

I'm now at 225 and am wearing 16W jeans and there's one pair of jeans that is a regular 16 that I can wear, but not with a fitted shirt. For tops, I'm in a 14-16, and some XL, some L, depending on the make.

Fun topic!

BrwnEyedGurl
03-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Just a note: clothing sizes vary some because of how large of a seam intake the sewers take... and they are supposed to measure them and there's a range in fractions of inches of what each size should fit in... it also depends on the material it is made of.

My mom used to work for Bestform (before they sent all the work overseas) - a company that made pajamas and lingerie and then later focused in on just making bras and panties. --It's always fun when you go to the store and you're mom inspects the garments. ;)

gonzostar
03-03-2004, 11:25 PM
i'm 5'6". i weigh, at the moment, 184. i'm wearing 14 most of the time. i have a big bottom half, pear shaped. so there are those who are more toned and not pears, and they wear smaller than me at the same weight.

at 244, i wore 22's.

Charbar
03-04-2004, 07:43 AM
I am 237 lbs... and am 5 foot nothing! :lol: I am in a 22... but I have some that say 20.. those are my favourite :lol:

how about bra sizes! do we all wear the correct size? I am a 42D - probably should be a 44DD

glynne
03-04-2004, 08:17 AM
I am 207, 5'1 and the size 24 pants are most comfortable on me. I think like someone else already mentioned ~ height and muscle tone have a lot to do with it. Also, I think they have changed the sizes from years ago. When I was in college and 120, size 12-14 was as small as I could get into. Now a days, I see people telling of that weight and wearing like a size 6 or something. I think the manufacturers changed the sizes so that people wouldn't feel so bad about number of the size they wear. And sizes run different with different manufacturers. I was trying on nursing scrubs and there were some they were a 3X, and they were tight ~ scrubs from another company in a 3X were way too big.

I sort of feel discouraged when I read of someone who is more than 100 lbs. more than me and wearing an 18 as someone mentioned. I have to try and remember that they are probably quite tall, and younger and less saggy and bulgy than me.

I can't wait to be able to buy clothes with out an x in the size. I especially want one of those neat "Grandma" sweatshirts I see at the mall.

Gayle

gonzostar
03-04-2004, 10:32 AM
well, my bra is a 38c. i went to get measured at victoria's secret after i'd lost about 55 lbs because i wanted to see if i'd changed. and she measured and asked "what did you think you were?" and i said "38c" and she said, you're lucky, you lost a lot of weight but didn't lose your boobs! 38c."

and i walked away going "i wonder how big i was before? no wonder all my bras are streched out!" :lol: apparantly i am NOW what i used to pretend i was.

looosingit
03-04-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm fluctuating around 185, and wearing a size 16 on the bottom, and 14 on top. I seem to have a difficult time with finding pants that fit properly, all of the skin from upstairs has floated down to my belly, thighs and bottom. Boo. I was wearing size 24 (top & bottom) at my top weight of 261.

My bra size...that's where the biggest change is! I was a 42H, but am now a 36D (just like the Beautiful South song). I'm OK with the chest shrinking.....I'm OK with any body bit which wishes to shrink!

Forgot to mention....I'm 5'5".

jkfla
03-04-2004, 12:21 PM
i'm 5'3" on a good day and my last weigh in was 253.8 i think.

bra--- 42DD :eek: and i absolutely hate it.
panties--- 10
shoes--- 8 1/2
shirt--- 26/28. i can wear smaller but i don't. i buy this size no matter what because i dont want any attention brought to my huge knockers. if i have to i can fit in an 18/20.
jeans--- right now a 22W but i'm almost into a regular 22.
pajama pants or jogging pants--- all of my pajama pants are a Large but my jogging pants are XL :?:

Jillegal
03-04-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm 5'3" and at 265lbs. wore 22-24. Now, depending on the make, I range from a rare 10 to a more usual 12-14. This can be maddening if you take a size 12 item into a dressing room and find it fits like a sausage casing (causing panic that my reoccuring nightmare of gaining 20lbs. overnight while sleeping has come true) and then taking another item in a 14 and it's like wearing a tent. Can't these manufacturers come together and make standardized sizing??

When I was obese I was pretty much big all over and now I'm definitely carrying the extra weight on my hips and butt, with some work needed on the waistline (nothing some heavy duty exercise won't take care of, just wish I could hire someone to do it for me)

As for bra size, my "before" was 44D and now I'm 40C and I would have preferred more of a loss there, because dose babies certainly ain't as *perky* as they once were - but that's more likely related to aging... :(

Speaking of sizes, has anyone noticed their SHOE size has gone down? I've gone from an 8-1/2 to a 7 :D

Goddess Jessica
03-04-2004, 04:24 PM
I have great legs. I mean, I'm a dancer. They're firm and tone and very thin. But I have a belly! So, when I buy a 24, my legs are SWIMMING but it fits around my waist. Sigh!

JFLA - Don't even! I pray for a DD. I'm a 44E.

rochemist
03-05-2004, 06:22 AM
I get mad because they have jacked with the clothing sizes so much. At 170 something and 5'8 I can wear a 14/16 in alot of the newer clothes and styles but lets take a time trip back to 1995 and go into my closet. My size 18 Chic jeans barely fit, my form fitting size 14 business suit, umm NO, not even close. So something is different and the whole size business messes with my head. Clothes fit, I wear them ;) (Otherwise you would hear the screaming :o )

Miss Chris

PS. Jessica do I feel your pain. Legs are muscular and my thighs are about 20 inches around, so my legs and hips swim in everything.

dowsx4
03-05-2004, 09:14 AM
When i started at 340 lbs i was in a 30/32 shirt/pants or 4xl. Bra was 44 C and undies 12 . Shoes 91/2 or 10. Ring 9 1/2. Now at 183 Shirts L or XL, pants 14s mostly some 12s if they run big or 16s if they run small, bra 36 C undies 7, Shoes 9, Ring 7.

Monkeybabies
03-05-2004, 10:31 AM
I am laughing...because as I read everyone of your posts....I can relate to at least one thing in all of them...LOL. I have always had great legs, very shaply...and when I am working out, very muscular.....so, I was pushing a 28 7 weeks ago....and now I am feeling that my 18's are getting...TOO BIG...wow, it feels so weird to hear that! LOL...but I like it! I have the typical APPLE shape...but even atmy heaviest...I had smaller arms and legs....I was so oddly porportioned...because no one ever thought I looked like I weighed 250 pounds 7 weeks ago.

Now, boobs...that is a different story....I wored SLINGS when I was preggo!!! O.k...I din't but my entire face could fit into my bra cups....I was ...are you ready...a whopping 48 F....didn't even freaking new they made F's. I would joke and say...F for Freaking Big Busts!

I still can;t believe how consistant I am being...so my boobs are the first to go...I don't really mind those!!!! So, I have went froma 46 DDD to a 40 D...and counting!!!

Great topic.....

SuchAPrettyFace
03-05-2004, 06:26 PM
I get mad because they have jacked with the clothing sizes so much. At 170 something and 5'8 I can wear a 14/16 in alot of the newer clothes and styles but lets take a time trip back to 1995 and go into my closet. My size 18 Chic jeans barely fit, my form fitting size 14 business suit, umm NO, not even close. So something is different and the whole size business messes with my head. When I went to LA in 1995, I spent the day w/my jeans undone--literally! I was about the same weight I am now, but in a painted-on size 24 jean. I had to wear a shirt that covered my tummy & then have the jeans unzipped & unbuttoned so I could be comfortable.

I am the same weight right now that I was then & wearing a comfortable 22, sometimes squeezing into the 20's. The 20's would be now what the 24's were back then.

Boobs? :lol: Let's not go there. Sports bras purchased from Lane Bryant catalog will stretch if you throw them in the dryer.

I'd say I was a 44DD @ 330#, I am now a 42DD. I am saving the money I get from my severance agreement for a boob job. I know that I will need at least a lift when this is all over.

rochemist
03-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks SAPF! I knew it. So realistically because of the clothing manufacturers I could wear an 8 someday, but it would actually be a 10/12. What a bunch of BS. Compensate for fat America? :dunno:

Miss Chris

Blakerae
03-06-2004, 12:28 PM
I like this topic. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't figure out clothing sizes and how they all differ and don't match up. I am 5'9 and when I started my first day of my weight loss journey on July 29th I weighed 313 lbs and wore a size 26 pants/jeans and 24/26 tops and my bra's never fit correctly anyways....Now I am 233 lbs and wear a size 18 pants/jeans (as of 2 weeks ago finally) but the strange thing is I've been wearing a 14/16 in shirts for about almost 2 months. I guess my upper body shrunk faster than the lower. As for bra's....my hooters are driving me crazy. Even before I had my weight gain and I was in the 160's...I had huge breasts...they don't seem to be shrinking much at all. I am still a triple 40EEE. Will they ever shrink????

PainterWoman
03-07-2004, 04:37 AM
5'8"
Current sizes are still all over the map: 3x-1x, 26 jeans 24/22 dresses/tops
44DD like many of the rest of you, this'll be one of the last things to change.

I've noticed that expensive clothes run larger (I bought an outfit at Neiman's once just because it was a 12... when everything else I bought was an 18!)

And now, August Max is instituting Chico's style sizing, but just happens to have eliminated anything bigger than size 20. I call it discrimination (I still have a little "fat pride" if you know what I mean) and I don't plan to go there anymore even when I'm back in the teens.

Jennelle
03-07-2004, 08:44 AM
I guess I'm the only one who does lose her boobies. In fact, on me, they're the FIRST thing to go! :( At my goal weight, I'm a 36B.

Blakerae
03-07-2004, 09:38 AM
I guess I'm the only one who does lose her boobies. In fact, on me, they're the FIRST thing to go! :( At my goal weight, I'm a 36B.

It's hard to jog w/the big ol' boobies. I can't seem to find a good supportive bra. Sometimes I will wear 2!!!! I kinda wish I had your luck Jennelle!!

jkfla
03-07-2004, 02:54 PM
i hate my legs!!!! i have HUGE thighs!!!! they run in my family and my poor daughter even has them. my legs are fat. but my thighs are so muscular too. they look like gymnast thighs!

as for jogging with big boobs......... i'm not even going to suggest a sports bra because i've tried them and they make you look like you have one GIANT boob instead of two really big boobs. LOL

i do lose my boobs too but i have to lose a lot of weight before they actually just disappear on me.

hey!!! its really nice to see another okie here!!!

Jennelle
03-07-2004, 05:41 PM
hee hee hee..."one giant boob." It does that for us smaller chested girls, too. My husband calls it a "uniboob."

SuchAPrettyFace
03-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Target's Moret sports bras are the only ones I've found that keep 'the girls' in place. But I refuse to jog. And having a uniboob is just part of wearing a sports bra. :(

Moret's are on sale again @ Target this week.

Step
03-07-2004, 11:59 PM
"uniboob" :lol: :lol:

You guys are too funny. I'm losing my boobs ... but that's ok ... at my thinest I was a 38C ... right now I'm a 48D -- but I feel like I'm not really filling the bra ... I probably need to buy the same size ... and get rid of all the stretched out ones! :o

lessofsarahtolove
03-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Well I had to chime in on this one......it was really the booby talk that hooked me. You see, I had a breast reduction back when I was slim, and then when I gained weight, it was a big ole "they're baaaaaacccckkk!" It's a damned shame. I went from a 36E (and 125#) to a 36C (and 119#) to a 44D (and 279#)..........crikey!! Ummm, trending the wrong way, entirely! Ah well, I'm on the right road, and I trust that the girls will shrink back down --- which suits me just fine. What I take issue with is the notion/anticipation that I'm going to end up with freaking C's that I could tote in hip holsters! :mad: Good thing I've already got a partner who loves me, I'm thinking! :p

As for other sizes, at 5' 5 1/2" and 270#, I'm mostly in 22/24's and the occasional 26. It's alllllll about the tum tum. When I really want to relax and let it all hang out, I wear a 3x top in an attempt to combine comfort with my ongoing effort to camouflage the mighty tum, but it's possible people still know it's there. ;) You think?

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the lovely size 18/20 wardrobe I've been saving for a slimmer day. I'm really proud of my efforts, and can absolutely see that looming on the horizon. :cool:

SuchAPrettyFace
03-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the fold, Sarah! Nice to have you w/us.

I think I'll get my boobs done when I'm done losing all this weight, but it's going to just be a lift, NOT enlargement. Guh.

jsscmngn
03-09-2004, 12:44 AM
At 260 I am in a size 26w in pants and an 18/20 on top...its funny how so many different people can weigh the same but have size differences that are very noticable. I just hope that the one day I will be able to fit in that pair of 18 pants that I have stuffed in my closet.

Goddess Jessica
03-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Blakerae - Check out the Ladies that Lift forum, they have a FABOO thread on sports bras (even for us!).

ThaliaForte
03-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Title 9 Sports has the most awesome collection of sports bras . . .http://www.title9sports.com/ rated by barbells! (Check out the Last Resort bra!)

Br00klyn
04-03-2004, 02:50 PM
At 264 lbs, I'm a size 20... But, I'm also 5'11 and I'm hoping to get to a size 14 and around 180 lbs.

Raelynn
04-03-2004, 03:44 PM
I am 5'9. at 210lbs, I was a size 14, and at 280something I was a size 24/26 and bras were 46DDD. Now at about 245 I am a size 18, bra size 38DD.

barbygirl43
04-03-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm 5'6" and 285. My 26 pants are just now starting to not fit so snug. I guess I'm still a 42DD, I haven't checked after having 2 kids and breastfeeding. I wear a 26 all around.
I know in college I stayed between 215-230 and wore 18-20s and in high school I got down to 175 before my senior year and wore mostly 14-16s with a few 12s.

Add me to the list who would like a lift at the end of this :)