Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:20 AM   #1  

Question Can somone clean up this recipe for me?

Hi! I was wondering if someone could take a look at this recipe. It's an egg bake, kind of like a crustless quiche.

5 eggs
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 oz green chilies

I've replaced the whole eggs with egg whites, the 2 cups cheddar with 1/2 cup fat free cheddar and the 1/4 cup flour with whole wheat flour.
My question is, can I take out the butter? I think it's just binding the flour and cheese, but I don't really cook a lot so I'm not sure.
What could I use instead? Can anyone clean this up any more?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-01-2004, 11:01 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

hmmmm. until someone wiser comes along, i'd suggest getting rid of the butter and not replacing it with anything else. but since butter enriches and softens things, it'll be a a good idea to get more texture into this.

s.... i'd suggest mixing everything except the egg whites in one bowl. and then taking all those whites and beating them until they're soft and spongy in another bowl. and then gently fold the whites into the other stuff...
Old 03-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Personally, I'd want the 'yellow' yolk color in the quiche so I would use Egg Beaters (or whatever egg subsitute) in place of the eggs, add a tablespoon of Butter Buds or Molly McButter.

I can't STAND the fat-free cheese - I'd probably compromise and use 2% reduced fat cheese instead. (going from 2 cups of regular cheese to 1/2 cup fat-free is a BIG reduction IMO...that might effect the recipe).

Did you check our recipes thread? There might be a quiche or frittata recipe there somewhere...
Old 03-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Experimentation here is the key I think... Both ladies had great ideas... I like the idea of softening up the egg whites... If you don't want egg subs just add one whole egg for colour... The jump from 2 cups to half, is a lot, and WILL change the texture and taste...
Old 03-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #5  
JEC
Aussie and proud

As a very big quiche eater I would make the following suggestions;

3 whole eggs & 6 egg whites
1/4 cups 2% cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
4 oz green chilies

Then add to it a type of meat like sliced chicken etc and maybe some baby spinach for veggies. You don't need the flour at all and neither the butter but add the butterbuds for taste if you want to. The eggs are binding enough on their own just make sure that they are well beaten.

HTH

JC
Old 03-01-2004, 04:30 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions!
Ginny
Old 03-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #7  
Mel

I'd use ground oatmeal instead of the ww flour, but I'm just anti-wheat for myself these days.

I like JC's recipe. It's very similar to one I use with spinach instead of chili's. And I use the fat free cheddar.

Mel
Old 03-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #8  
it's always something

If you manage it and it's good, please post the final recipe, it sounds good
Closed Thread