Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 12:18 PM   #1  
Chick

Question

Has anyone read the latest "Woman's World" (April 10)?? Inside there is an article about 3 ladies who lost a tremendous amount of weight in just a very short amount of time by eating Subway sandwiches for lunch and dinner. They all got the idea from watching Oprah. On her show she had Jared Fogle - the guy that lost 245lbs. by eating Subways and walking each day for 30 minutes. Well, anyway, these gals lost total of 330lbs in just such a short amount of time. Now, can this really be done? And, if so, I just might have to try it. Of course, I'll still be on WW, but this really sounds good!! Does anyone out there have any comments or ideas as to how I can do this and make it work for me and my daughter. She has about 150lbs to lose and I have about 25 or 30lbs. She would like to try this method instead of WW. I have already lost 25lbs, but she keeps on asking me to try this Subway diet. She doesn't like how SLOW WW seems to be. Well, thanks in advance for any help or comments

googies
Old 03-30-2001, 12:43 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Losing weight is based on calories in vs calories out. The subs are relatively low in calories/fat.

If you enjoy a sub have one. W/W allows you to do that. I tend to think even with the 6 or 7 they have that are low fat that you'd get bored and fall off.

It's all based on how many calories on take in vs how many you expend.

Am I saying it won't work...nope. It probably will if you stick with it but then again any weight loss program will work if you stickwith it.
Old 03-30-2001, 03:09 PM   #3  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

You also need to take in account the cost of the subs. If all you do is buy subs, it can get more costly than groceries. And if you are easily bored, this may not work for you. Plus driving to Subway twice a day for food, or once a day and eating a mushy one for supper. Those are some things to think about before you or your daughter bails WW and jumps into Subway. Oh, plus I read a review about the "Subway Diet" and although they didn't say it was a bad diet, it does limit your veggies and fruits, which you should be eating a lot of. Otherwise, they said it was an OK way to lose weight.

Now that I am thinking, I also think you should spend some time thinking about this.... Something made you gain the weight and what you need to keep it off is to retrain your brain as to the proper serving sizes, etc. Will Subway do that for you or will it be like losing weight on one of those packaged food diets???

Good luck
Old 03-30-2001, 03:36 PM   #4  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Googies...

I think you and your daughter should still use WW and incorporate by eating the subs...
They are low in fat and I think you can get a 1footlong turkey breast (w/o cheese and mayo) for somewhere around 11 points...I don't think you should limit yourself...plus, if you do end up losing all the weight, you might have a hard time getting back to home cooked foods without gaining....

But yes, like they said below, if you stick with it, it would work....

Girlie
Old 03-30-2001, 08:08 PM   #5  
Find a Way

I read an article about Jared. He pointed out himself that it probably wouldn't work for all people. He was very young at the time so had a good metabolism, and I believe his father is a doctor, so there was blood work done on him and periodic checks to make sure he was healthy with such a limited way of eating.

For him it worked because it was easy. All he had to do was go to Subway twice a day. No grocery shopping, no meal planning. Being a student kept him busy the rest of the time. For me it wouldn't work because I have GOT to have variety. I would go buggy if I had nothing but sandwiches 24/7.
Old 03-31-2001, 04:57 PM   #6  

I agree with what everyone else has said...incorporate sandwiches into your WW plan. Eating at Subway may be a novelty every so often, but it gets really really tiresome if that is your only food choice. Ask any college student about eating in the dining hall....the food may not be that bad, but it is really repetitive and a healthy diet has a variety of foods, which includes fruits, veggies, protein sources and starches....

andrea
Old 03-31-2001, 05:30 PM   #7  
Chick

Default Subway on program

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question. I think that I will make some subs at home and save all that money buying them at Subway. They do add up to a "pretty penny" And I wouldn't dare think of going off program. I had a great tasting "sub" at home and I made my husband and daughter one as well and I figured out the cost to be about equal to the cost of one of Subways subs. Thanks again to all
googies
Old 03-31-2001, 05:35 PM   #8  

I too, heard that Jared's Dad had taken weekly blood test to make sure he remained in good health. I was also told that he didn't have any condiments or cheese on any of his subs. He only ate the vegetarian and the turkey breast with lots of veggies.

Basically he ate bread and veggies with Turkey once a day.

I don't think I personally could do this for any length of time. I would prefer the WW program as it is much healthier and you have more choices. All programs work if you make the program work for you.

One thing you need to remember is this is a life long change and would you be able to maintain this for an indefinite period of time. Also our fat cells are always there just waiting to balloon up again. So as soon as you reach you goal and start eating normally again there is a good chance that the weight will come back rather quickly, with WW it may take a little longer but you can do this for a lifetime and this is something that you must always ask yourself " Am I able to follow this for the rest of my life?" and with the 123 program it is so flexible that the answer is "Yes, I can do this for a lifetime."

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Timber
Closed Thread