General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:53 PM   #1  

Question what exactly is "plus size?"

I am so confused. I was watching the show, America's Next Top Model and was flabbergasted to hear 2 of the contestants told they were bordering on plus size. These girls are 5'8" and weigh 130 lbs! They must be size 8, 10 or smaller. So, I would like to know what is actually considered plus size? Opinions please.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #2  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

IMO plus size is whatever feels uncomfortable for you ( as far as functioning in life) for me that is anything above a 14.for some a 14 looks wonderful. i think anything below a 12 is fricking normal, and it pisses me off that society makes women think they have to be a size 4 to be "normal" bullshit. our bodies come in all sizes and as long as your healthy. the size doesn't matter as much.. my SIL is a skinny minny ( like a size 2) and whenver she goes on about being fat( she is young and believes all the hype on tv, magazines and stuff.. I could strangle her.. well enough ranting.. just my opnion on the whole "plus size"
Old 02-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Dina - I think in the freaky modeling world, anything over an 8 is a "plus" size. I was talking with my sister tonight, who does fitting sometimes on fashion shoots in NYC, and she says couture dresses are normally a size 6... a STRICT size 6. And her job is to often bring the dresses IN for super skinny models. Model sizing is nowhere the same as real women sizing. The average US woman is a size 12, and that size 12 is constantly being enlarged to fit increasingly heavy women. So... the numbers are always in flux too, to add to your confusion

In the real world, I think 14 and up is a plus size. Some might say 12 and up. There was a really cool magazine a few years back for plus-size women - "Mode" - and it was titled for size 12 and up. Wish it was still being published! The way they put outfits together was so cool and inspiring!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #4  
*~forbidden snowflake~*

Since models are essentially hangers with a heartbeat (so the clothing hangs like it would on a hanger), their sizes should mean jack squat to real people. God didn't create me to perform the function of a clothes hanger. That's why He created someone to come up with the hanger, lol. I don't think there even are plus sizes anymore since it's really arbitrary and every store has a different opinion. I think any size you're comfortable in is a normal size.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:59 PM   #5  

If you have to ask what exactly is "Plus size" you must not be overweight. Different designers and different stores seem to have a difference in opinion on this subject. Normally I fit into a size 20 or 1X, but at Dress Barn Woman...I can wear W14-16.
I think the type of fabric and the quality of the clothing item can vary. As much as I hate to try on clothes in stores..I find that I am forced to because of style and size variations.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:02 PM   #6  

One thing I would like to see designers do is to make dresses, slacks various lengths. I am 5'3" but a petite is too short waisted for me in a dress, and petite plus size in slacks are too short in the crotch. Yet a regular plus size in slacks, I have to hem at least 1 1/2-2 inches, sometimes more. Wonder if anybody else has this problem?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #7  
Coop class of '82

Quote from a modeling website:

Plus Size Models

Plus size models are more in demand than ever before and many of the top international modeling agencies now have plus size divisions in addition to their editorial divisions. Plus size models range from a size 10 and up and are generally
5' 8" to 5' 10".
Old 03-26-2004, 12:38 PM   #8  
Legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaBlossom
One thing I would like to see designers do is to make dresses, slacks various lengths. I am 5'3" but a petite is too short waisted for me in a dress, and petite plus size in slacks are too short in the crotch. Yet a regular plus size in slacks, I have to hem at least 1 1/2-2 inches, sometimes more. Wonder if anybody else has this problem?
Have you ever tried Maggie Sweet designs?
its sold on Home shopping and it truly is great for plus size on down to the smallest size. If you want check out the Home shopping web site. I suggest you go to the clearance section and click on fashion and then click on Maggie Sweet and have a look at it. you have 30 days to try it and if you want to send it back you will get a full refund...
just an idea for you...

I own lots of Maggie Sweet and it really great...
Old 03-31-2004, 01:25 PM   #9  

I've been trying to figure out this very same question! I'm 5'9" and I wear a size 10 or 12 depending on the week I've never really considered myself "plus" size, but I guess according to most I would be! That really shocks me b/c I'm at a healthy BMI and considered "normal" for my height. Hmmm, I guess society has us to standards where "average" now means "plus".
Old 04-10-2004, 04:13 AM   #10  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Personally I think the clothing sizes are messed up now.

I have noticed in some magazines and infomercials that some women are saying they are 5'7 or 5'8 and weigh between 140lbs and 160 lbs and are stating that they are a size 2 or 4. I am 5'8 and currently weigh 161lbs and I am a size 10/12 depending on the cut. Even when I weighed 135lbs I was a size 5/7.

I was in a store where I tried on the biggest skirt I could find since they all looked really small....I couldn't get the size 15 to zip up and I was a size 9 at the time!....ARG!

In most of the trendy shops I can barely get my head through the neck opening of a "large" top and my boobs are getting squished and I am only a 36 b...it's ridiculous!!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #11  

Oh isn't that the worst! I hate going into trendy stores and wanting a top or pair of pants SO much only to find that they don't make them big enough for me. Its like the expect everyone to have the body of a 16 year old! I guess hips and boobs are out of style!
Old 04-11-2004, 09:57 AM   #12  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

emily, lol oh yeah hips boobs are gone. it is bone and skin dontcha know? lol
Old 04-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #13  
missaprylj

definetly depends on the store!!!

generally though, above a size 14 is considered "plus size"

Old 04-25-2004, 09:56 PM   #14  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

I've always been a pear, when I weighed 133 (for years) I wore a 12 in pants because of my hips and thighs, although I could wear a "small" top...32A.

Now I hear size 12 could be considered "PLUS"...aaauuurrrggghhhhh!!!
I would love to get into a 12... plus or not.
If it fits me up top its too small below,
if it fits me below it hangs off me up top.

But I'll show 'em!!
I have a sewing machine,and I'm not afraid to use it!!
RM....can't wait to start taking in my clothes.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I went shopping this weekend and was surprised that at New York Clothing Co., the sizes were cut VERY generously. Heck I got into a size 8 skirt with room left in the waist and I KNOW that at 155 lbs and 5'2 inches, I am not an 8. Plus sizes, IMO are size 14+. I have a few clothing items that I keep that are true indicators of my size - they were made before the measuring tape got butchered by the fashion industry. Those pieces are what I use to see what size I am.

Peace. Tiki.
Closed Thread