100 lb. Club - Shape's Cross Training Cardio Calender - take the 8 week challenge with me

Jen
02-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi all. There is a really good cardio workout plan in the march issue of Shape magazine that I am going to do, just wondered if anyone wanted to join me. It is comprised of walking, biking and running, gradually increasing the intensity and duration over the 8 weeks. I'm probably not going to do a whole lot of running, my knees would be on strike in 2 seconds so for those days I'll either try a really easy jog, fast walk or stair climbing. I'm on week 1 right now which looks like this:

Monday - Walk, easy to moderated, 25-50 min
Tuesday - Bike, moderate, flat terrain, 40-60 min
Wednesday - Run, easy 15 min, intervals: 10 min (alternate 1 min. moderate with 1 min easy, repeat 5 times),25 min total
Thursday - off
Friday - walk, moderate 15-25 min, then intervals 16 min (alternate 3 min. moderate with 1 min hard, repeat 4 times) total time 31-41 min
Saturday - run, easy, 20-35 min
Sunday - off or bike, easy to moderate 45-60 min

I just started with the bike riding today (indoors on an exercise bike). Anyway I thought it would be a good way to keep up with my exercise which has been sadly lacking for several months. Anyone else interested in trying this out?

AmyJ
02-10-2004, 04:55 PM
I've been thinking of trying this...my workouts have disappeared since the holidays. I was a little worried about the running, but your idea is very good. I'm going to start too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jen
02-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Hey there. Well my knees were just about killing me last night after the bike riding. They are better today so I am still going to do my stair climbing in place of running but just REALLY slowly. Good luck with it AmyJ, let me know how you are doing.

Jen
02-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Sadly I could not complete any more of this past week's exercises so I'm starting over again. My knee pain would not let me do any stairs after all, it flared up seriously after a couple of minutes. It is really sad how my body has gotten so out of shape. I used to be able to bike 40 minutes and not even feel it. I worked Thursday and Friday and it was so seriously busy (I'm a RN that works 12 hour shifts) I needed the weekend to recover. So I'm going to start back up again but I'm going to take things REALLY easy this time just so I get in the habit of exercising several times a week.