Carb Counters - Supplements

View Full Version : Supplements

Amyjo01
02-08-2004, 02:43 PM
I have been on an modified Atkins for the past 3 to 4 weeks and I am having charlie horse cramps in my calves which is indicating my potassium is getting low. I took some of my regular vitamins yesterday and this AM I am almost completely out of ketosis, I have gone from greater than 80 to barely registering on my keto sticks.. They have to be the culpret.... does anyone have any recommendation on what kind of vitamins to use?

lady_adnerb
02-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Sorry Amy, I don't know what to recommend. I take the Atkins supplements (at least, for now).

Khem
02-08-2004, 09:46 PM
potassium and magnesium.

http://atkins.com/helpatkins/newfaq/answers/SinceIHaveStartedDoingAtkinsIHaveTerrible.html

StarPrincess
02-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Actually, there are 4 things that will cause cramps if you're lacking in them. Calcium, potassium, magnesium, and sodium. Since there is lots of potassium in meat, I doubt that's your problem. Are you taking any supplements?

As for the ketone thing, don't sweat it over the color of the stick. The change in darkness could be nothing more than your level of hydration.

Amyjo01
02-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Ummmm I hadn't really thought about the hydration thing playing into, I did drink a lot more water than normal the day that I took my vitamins. I am a very non-compliant vitamin taker- even when not dieting, and I am trying hard with the H2O but seldom get enough Saturday I probably drank about 48 ounces compared to normal maybe 16.